Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:09   #46
BHPian

Re: Considering the Thar CRDe

I went and looked at the one Goel has. THey told me they would never have one available for a TD because they only get them if you order them. So you have to buy it without driving it.

Anyway, Impressions of the stationary vehicle:

positive:

-legroom on the driver's side is satisfactory. not great, but it'll do just fine. I wouldn't get new seats if I only hoped to get more legroom.
-interior plastics are very poor but passable in this vehicle
-the seating position, reach to the gear shift and steering is nice
-its got the look
-its available without that grotesque roll cage in the back
- Its available with the half canopy as an accessory. the vehicle had it fitted and I really liked it
-the ground clearance under the front suspensions lower control arms is quite
adequate for what I intend to do with the vehicle

Negatives:

-the legroom on the passenger side is quite poor for tall people. I would not be comfortable in the passenger side for more than 30-40 minutes at most.

-the steering offset is hilarious. what the hell is wrong with them? If I buy the vehicle I am certain to make up some new seat brackets to move the driver's seat closer to the centerline of the vehicle and in line with the steering wheel. apart from the offset from my body being an issue, the offset to the left also means my left leg makes contact with the wheel. What idiot signed off on this? As an engineer myself, I am appalled to think the professional ethics and pride-in-the-craft of the engineers who did this.

- The build quality of the vehicle is absolutely appalling. On this brand new vehicle, the unlocked driver's side door didn't open from the outside. had to get in from the passenger side and open the door from inside. While walking around to the passenger side, I saw the paint on the tail gate was separating from the metal in a big chip with rust filling the space between the metal and the paint. it wasn't a detail thing. it was huge. while taking a closer look at that chip later, I saw the left rear seat was torn. then I asked to see the engine, and released the outside catches, but the inside catch release didn't work. the bonnet of the vehicle could not be raised.

I really want to believe that its just these things that are faulty but the mechanics are sound, but as an engineer, I wonder whether a factory process that allows these kinds of manufacturing defects to occur and pass through is going to be stringent on suspension assembly processes or gearbox manufacturing. Not saying they aren't, but not something to be cavalier about.

- the rear door latch didn't open. whether its just very hard or broken, I couldn't tell.

astonishing.

anyway, I am still interested in the vehicle. in fact I am even more interested now. Will come back from ladakh and pursue a test drive

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd July 2011 at 16:16.
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
....THey told me they would never have one available for a TD because they only get them if you order them. So you have to buy it without driving it...
That is strange. Yes getting the TD is an issue but not having a TD vehicle at all is surprising!

Quote:
....-the steering offset is hilarious. .......As an engineer myself, I am appalled to think the professional ethics and pride-in-the-craft of the engineers who did this.
I can guess what was going through your mind. Well, welcome to the world of jeeps. These is one of the most common issues. But i think you will probably get habituated. Even the people who drive Boleros also have the same complaint if i am not wrong.

Quote:
..The build quality of the vehicle is absolutely appalling. ...
Again a very widely-talked about issue. Fit-n-finish is definitely not up to standard for a 7L vehicle in 2011.

Quote:
..I really want to believe that its just these things that are faulty but the mechanics are sound.....
Yes this is important and from the existing THAR threads, it seems like the opinion is of mixed type. One or two people have pointed out some serious issues related to fuel tank etc. But by and large people are happy with the basic mechanical components.
You have probably seen DKG's thread on his THAR in the 'initial ownership' section. Should give a boost for your THAR aspiration.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...offset to the left also means my left leg makes contact with the wheel. What idiot signed off on this? As an engineer myself, I am appalled to think the professional ethics and pride-in-the-craft of the engineers who did this...

What idiot signed off on this?.....I don't know but he ought
to be shot!

I have a Mahindra Invader with a similar offset. It does not bother me at all. I am 6 feet even and 95kg.

The fit and finish issues are a little surprising. The Thar supposedly comes off a better finish assembly line than other mm550 based jeeps.

When you get back and have some spare time, you may want to look up Dhabhar.Behram on this site. He is a fellow engineer in the car biz
and has some interesting insights on Thar.

"Spike_arrestor" is also an engineer....at least he claims to be....we are not really sure about him...dubious character references.

I will be looking forward to your post after you drive it.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 22nd July 2011 at 17:31.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:28   #49
BHPian

it seems to me like mahindra has a steering rack and structure that predates the widebody vehicles and they keep using it in the widebodies that have their seats set further away from the center line than the narrow bodies creating an offset

its really very shoddy. It seems there is a vicious cycle. they do a lousy job, people accept it, so then they don't have an incentive to do it right.

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd July 2011 at 19:29.
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

"Spike_arrestor" is also an engineer....at least he claims to be....we are not really sure about him...dubious character references.
DD, I know you are pulling my leg but will try to answer. I have never claimed to be the father / brain behind this product , I was just a cog in the wheel. Jokes apart, the offset is due to the steering and other associated systems sharing commonality with Bolero models. All Boleros also have this feature. Perhaps this offset (76.5 mm) is more pronounced in this case as it happens to be Thar.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd July 2011 at 19:42.
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:42   #51
BHPian

BTW, she gave me a brochure for the Thar. but it was for the DI, not the CRDe. I asked her and she says "its what we have". I said "but the specifications are completely different". She says "yes sir but its what we have"

I wanted to laugh. I am laughing thinking about it. I asked her some questions about the thar and she had to get a mechanic to answer them. and now I am looking at the DI brochure and on the back in the specifications table, "MAX GVW" appears twice. Row 13 is a duplicate of row 8. LOL! Did nobody proof read it? Its becoming funny now and not frustrating.

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd July 2011 at 19:45.
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
DD, I know you are pulling my leg but will try to answer. I have never claimed to be the father / brain behind this product , I was just a cog in the wheel. Jokes apart, the offset is due to the steering and other associated systems sharing commonality with Bolero models. All Boleros also have this feature. Perhaps this offset (76.5 mm) is more pronounced in this case as it happens to be Thar.

Spike
Dear C.I.T.W.

Am most assuredly pulling your leg.

Bad habit of mine.

Like I said, I am considering the Thar, myself. Going to wait a bit though.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anyway, I am still interested in the vehicle. in fact I am even more interested now. Will come back from ladakh and pursue a test drive
This is what M&M is aware of and thats why THAR is selling!
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
This is what M&M is aware of and thats why THAR is selling!
if selling 3 vehicles against a demand of 5, when they could sell 20 by doing a good job, is a satisfactory state of affairs, more power to them.

or maybe they know that the demand is 6, not 20. they can sell 6 vehicles by doing a good job and 3 by not doing a good job, but the cost of doing a good job is so high that its more profitable to sell 3 shoddy units than 6 good ones.

Not that I care. I am not a mahindra shareholder so it makes no difference to me. The TD will tell me whether I want a gypsy or a thar.

Last edited by Harbir : 22nd July 2011 at 22:49.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:49   #55
BHPian

well - a little surprising thing happened today. I was at the Mahindra showroom again today and was looking at the Thar in display. And this time - it felt as if there is a improvement in the interiors from last time ??

I am not sure if it was my mind playing tricks or if it was the color (today it was silver color, the same one which team-BHP test drove in their official review)

the finish, the dash - everything looked neater and better put together. I did not have my camera so could not take any pics. Might go back tommorow and take some pics.
I even asked the showroom guys if there has been any change in the vehicle

Edit:

@Harbir - this offset thinggy, i dont think it bothers at all. When i took a TD - i did not even notice it. Think of it as a "quirk"

Last edited by sach.sri : 22nd July 2011 at 22:53. Reason: Edit: including response to a post
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2011 at 10:49.
Parm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:30   #57

I absolutely adore the vehicle. In fact it is becoming more of my daily drive over the Laura. It kind of grows on you over time.
Yes no denying there are some shortcomings, no ignoring that fact but once you know the limitations you learn to live with them. Of course I poured in a bit of extra inside the vehicle for stuff that I cannot absolutely live without. The off center steering is a non-issue although you wonder how M&M can design vehicles like that
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk.b View Post
I absolutely adore the vehicle. In fact it is becoming more of my daily drive over the Laura. It kind of grows on you over time.
Myk.b, Thats a BIG compliment.

Quote:
Of course I poured in a bit of extra inside the vehicle for stuff that I cannot absolutely live without.
Could you share (with pics if possible) what all you have done to your Thar. Also pic of your ride if possible.

Spike
Old 23rd July 2011, 16:52   #59

Ok so here goes. I had to go down and click a few pictures.

What's in the Thar now.
1. Front & Rear Light Grills - Standard OEM
2. Front Bull Bar - Standard OEM
3. Fog Lamps - These are a pair of DLAA 4x4 that I already owned. So they went in easy. May exchange them for Hella's later.

Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic1.jpg
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic8.jpg

My ICE setup.
4. DAPIC HU - Some of you might cry hoarse on the choice but somehow I decided to go in for a DAPIC HU and after 3 months of owning it, I can say that I am mighty happy with it. It is a cheap and very capable unit. Maximum bang for the buck. For me the quality of sound was most important and this delivered almost up to expectations keeping the price, security aspect in mind.
Features: DVD Player, Aux, USB, Bluetooth connectivity, Rear Camera support, 4:3 LCD screen on HU, Touchscreen, AV1/2, Remote, FM, Bass, Mid, Treble control, 3 band equalizer(which I dont use, didnt like the sound output when turned on) etc.
Cons: The Biggest at least in my mind - Reliability. I don't know how long it will last seriously but as long as it does I will have a lot of fun with it, No Contacts transfer from the phone via bluetooth. That's the only thing I can see right now.
Cost: 8k. A similar featured branded Hu would have cost a bomb and security is obviously a concern. I didn't mind this invest for what I got in return.
5. JBL speakers - 2 Front, 2 Rear behind the front seats. Guess that's the only place to keep them and they are removable.
6. LCD screens on Headrest - WorldTech. Cost 7k.
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic2.jpg
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic5.jpg
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic6.jpg
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic9.jpg
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic11.jpg
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic12.jpg

7. Black Machined Alloys, retained the stock Bridgestones
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic4.jpg

8. Rear view camera, distance sensor
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic10.jpg

9. Upgraded cabin lights to LED's that are much brighter
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic7.jpg

10. Security system - TCOP Gold with SMS tracking

11. Roll Over bar - standard OEM

Then some regular add on stuff
12. Dashboard, glass holders for GPS unit, Phone etc.
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic3.jpg

13. And a small auto refrigeration unit. This also help me to store my water bottle and smaller stuff among other things. The Thar completely misses out on storage spaces
Considering the Thar  CRDe-pic13.jpg

I guess that's about it.

What's on my list next.
1. A/c - still waiting to get it fitted at the dealer. Some folks at the dealer point you to some local places who can do the job but I don't trust them with it right now
2. A removable hard top. No idea when or how to get this done. Quite a few folks providing fixed hardtop but in my opinion you would lose the charm of vehicle
3. I would definitely look for a sun roof in the front cabin. Would be ecstatic to have a good looking hard top provide that in the rear as well.
Myk.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:08   #60
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2011 at 10:49. Reason: Long quote shortened.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks