Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 22:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Would these two find buyers in India? (Toyota LC 70 series & Land Rover 110 & 90)

would these two find buyers in India, if they are manufactured here in India?

1. Toyota LC 70 series, both the Wagon LWB and the SWB.

2. Land Rover Defender 110 and 90.

the LC 70 being sold currently in Australia and Middle east with best of equipments and even in bare models.

i heard somewhere that Defender manufacturing might be shifted india by Tata, is that just a rumour?

they are very well suited for the current road conditions and the very basic bare equipment in them would make them inexpensive buys.

ofcourse PS, AC and HT would be standard.

im sure the new 2010 LC 70 would be cheaper than T-Fort, if it is at all brought to india even in SKD kit and assembled in india.

Any takers?

2010 Toyota Landcruiser 70 series Wagon Road Test and Review Page 1 of 3 | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

Explore the Land Rover Defender Hard Top | Land Rover UK

MODS: please merge this thread if any exists.

DISCLAIMER: im not starting any controversy by this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Would these two find buyers in India? (Toyota LC 70 series & Land Rover 110 & 90)-15d1hlc70mediagallerywagongxl749x422.jpg  

Would these two find buyers in India? (Toyota LC 70 series & Land Rover 110 & 90)-all_pv_l316_10my_ext_airport_hanger_side850x425.jpg  

Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would these two find buyers in India, If launched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

DISCLAIMER: im not starting any controversy by this thread!

I might buy the L.R. depending on price etc.

Why not make this thread more general? Why do you limit it to just these 2 vehicles?

This is just my personal opinion but I think you might encounter less hostility from members if you took the plunge and bought a 4x4 instead of engaging in and trying to lead abstract speculations such as this.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:49   #3
BHPian

it would depend on the price.
Old 22nd July 2011, 08:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

If priced properly, I would definitely buy the Defender! Its my dream vehicle. I know another member on the forum who would
Old 22nd July 2011, 09:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the Land Rover Defender is all set to be replaced by 2012, as it fails to meet modern safety norms, for both passengers and especially for pedestrians.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The Landcruiser 70 series !!!! Anyday.
The perfect vehicle for India.Especially the 5 door wagon model,though am lusting after the 3 door version.
But it's available only with the V8 diesel in Aus. and i6 petrol and diesel in the Middle east. Hope they can plonk the 3.0l diesel in it.The range comes from around 8 lakhs to 12 lakhs in Saudi Arabia, but since it's Made in Japan only, i can see the price climbing at 20+ with our wonderful taxes.
At the end of the day we won't see anything of this sort from Toyota.(same reason the Hilux/Hiace is not here), ............so it's Defender for us Indians considering Tata has to sell the present gen 'somewhere' when the new crash regulations come in the western world ,making the present Defender unfit to sell there, also they are developing a new Defender platform to regain the market that they lost to LC70 and Patrol.

Last edited by DicKy : 22nd July 2011 at 10:32.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:47   #7
BHPian

Its an old debate and more wish than reality. Tata has zero plans to bring the defender to India in its current model. The bid process with the Army is getting nowhere. Even the British Army has discontinued the defender and has not renewed the purchase contract. LR India is busy with the niche market.

I see no reason why the 70 series would be launched by Toyota. There is no mass market as such for this class of vehicle. Australian sales are driven by demand and the low import duty structures. Besides toyota is all set with a prominent presence in all classes of cars and 100% of their locally built offering waitlisted. Cars like the defender and the LC 70 will reach buyer saturation very quickly and the manufacturers don't even want to be seen spending big bucks on setting up assembly lines for sales worth only a few hundred units.

Which then brings us back to our misery with the Gypsies and the MM550s and overpriced second hand market for the LRs and the LCs.
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:16   #8
BHPian

Toyota wouldn't want to cannibalize fortuner sales by bringing in another 4x4. TATA, however with the jeep messiah ( read Mr BD ) in its corporate manger would like to give him the iconic defender to play with. I sure would like to see the results of such an attempt
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

LR Defender, is a barebone good off roader which has done its job for the royal forces. They are quite happy with it but the issue is its not safe for anyone. But if to go by topgear language, buy it and mull down all the rule breaking humans . Defender for me! A true off-roader at any given time.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Defender any day! But don't know what is keeping TATAs.
New model, a defender replacement is already in the cards. But we will not mind the old one. Its a tried and tested workhorse.

Some one please tell TATA's not to throw the tooling for Defender.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2011 at 15:36. Reason: As per your reported post
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would these two find buyers in India? (Toyota LC 70 series & Land Rover 110 & 90)

i wont mind a stripped down version of either.

LC70 would be my first choice over the defender.

both the vehicles have LWB as well as SWB.

there is even a facebook page in europe, petitioning Toyota to bring in LC70 to europe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks