Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 23:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Nissan Jonga: Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
If you are not on a budget, then simply rule out this piece of junk.
I have had a chance to drive JONGAs in prinstine condition; however, it never inspired confidence as far as the engine reliability when compared to the humble 3B. The mechanicals are old and quirky(in comparision).
As already mentioned, it is worth checking whether the engine swap is legal or not.
The other point regarding the non functionality of 4X4 maybe because of the size of the deisel engine which fouls with the front diffrential and hence is removed. I have mentioned this in my thread 'Dabwali Jeeps' which again, have had their front diffrentials removed.

I strongly recommend that you should consider buying a MG413 which will take care of all the aspects mentioned above in your post.
Hi susan3004,

I was wondering where did you drive a Jonga in 'pristine' condition. I am also quite surprised that you found the 4L P series engine unreliable. And please don't compare a MG413 to the Jonga. A 'pristine' Jonga, if you encounter one, can make a MG413 or the 'humble 3B' look like toys.

I do agree, spares are an issue, but a well restored Jonga, is a joy to own. The problem areas in the Jonga are the brakes and rear differential, but both are addressable if done properly.

But I guess, there would always be MG413 fans, CJ3B fans, and few but very ardent Nissan Patrol G60 (aka Jonga) fans. I belong to the last category.

But a Jonga with a Diesel conversion is a strict no no. Without a 4x4, its useless.

Regards

Jaskirat
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 23:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Hi susan3004,

I was wondering where did you drive a Jonga in 'pristine' condition. I am also quite surprised that you found the 4L P series engine unreliable. And please don't compare a MG413 to the Jonga. A 'pristine' Jonga, if you encounter one, can make a MG413 or the 'humble 3B' look like toys.

I do agree, spares are an issue, but a well restored Jonga, is a joy to own. The problem areas in the Jonga are the brakes and rear differential, but both are addressable if done properly.

But I guess, there would always be MG413 fans, CJ3B fans, and few but very ardent Nissan Patrol G60 (aka Jonga) fans. I belong to the last category.

But a Jonga with a Diesel conversion is a strict no no. Without a 4x4, its useless.

Regards

Jaskirat
Susan is in the Indian Army, thats where he drove those Jongas.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Susan is in the Indian Army, thats where he drove those Jongas.
Hi Parm, I asked about 'pristine' Jongas. Trust me, Army is no longer the place to find pristine Jongas nowadays. If my information is correct, the last batch of Jongas were delivered to the Army in 1998.

They no longer remain pristine.

Regards

Jaskirat
Old 1st August 2011, 00:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Parm, I asked about 'pristine' Jongas. Trust me, Army is no longer the place to find pristine Jongas nowadays. If my information is correct, the last batch of Jongas were delivered to the Army in 1998.

They no longer remain pristine.

Regards

Jaskirat
he is in the army for a long time....so as you say the last one was delivered in 1998, he must have driven them and hence his comment on the Jonga!
Old 1st August 2011, 00:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
he is in the army for a long time....so as you say the last one was delivered in 1998, he must have driven them and hence his comment on the Jonga!
Well you could be right. But I wonder how the Jonga served the Indian Army for over 4 decades when it was considered unreliable.

My first ride in the Jonga was when I was barely 5 years. My dad served in the Indian Army from 1959 - 1995, and during his service I have had the opportunity of riding / driving several Jongas. I now own one myself. My limited experience differs with susan3004 about the reliability of Jonga. In my humble submission, a well looked after Jonga is a formidable vehicle. Fuel efficiency notwithstanding.

But I am sure an Army officer would know a Jonga better than me.
Jaskirat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 17:09   #21
BANNED

@susan3004,
i think the the jonga had its own admirers in the indian army.i have so many of my relatives who used to be all praises for it.this prompted me to purchase one in 1975.this was the one with HItachi carbs and most parts including the meters were japanese.i ran it on petrol for nearly 5 years before selling it 1981.excellent perfomance with 9+ kmpl on the highway.off road consumption was a little high.
shall post some pictures of conversions to diesel RD28 six in line engines done in Australia with intact 4wd.i had put in a bid for a jonga at bathinda auction which is still
at the STA(subject to approval) stage.
hps aulakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 17:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
@susan3004,
i think the the jonga had its own admirers in the indian army.i have so many of my relatives who used to be all praises for it.this prompted me to purchase one in 1975.this was the one with HItachi carbs and most parts including the meters were japanese.i ran it on petrol for nearly 5 years before selling it 1981.excellent perfomance with 9+ kmpl on the highway.off road consumption was a little high.
shall post some pictures of conversions to diesel RD28 six in line engines done in Australia with intact 4wd.i had put in a bid for a jonga at bathinda auction which is still
at the STA(subject to approval) stage.
Ailakh saab would you be able to shed more light on the bathinda Auction and whats the point to contact to get involved in the auction.

Being from Bathinda and living in gurgaon and out of bathinda for 11 years its not much of a help for myself.
Old 1st August 2011, 17:40   #23
BANNED

@desideep, i had put in a bid through a scrap dealer(kabadi) from mansa who is big time into picking up old army vehicles.he is registered with MSTC.go to the MSTC website
and in the e-auctions if you can find a jonga then you find a registered dealer and bid through him or deposit 50,000/-and participate yourself.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi susan3004,

Regards

Jaskirat
He is in the army. And Indian Army as such has very competitive mechanics of their own.

Jonga diesel did have 4x4. They were released for civvies in limited numbers with HIno engines.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
He is in the army. And Indian Army as such has very competitive mechanics of their own.

Jonga diesel did have 4x4. They were released for civvies in limited numbers with HIno engines.
+1 to that.
Diesel Jongas were available as rightly brought out by SirAlec. And had a brute of an engine.
@Jaskirat. What a wonderful coincidence; even my father was in the Army and served for the same duration as your father.
I am sanguine that it becomes very easy for you to comprehend to the fact that the days when prinstine JONGAs were being comissioned in the Army, MG413s were nowhere in sight(or rather, even heard of)so "reliability" becomes a very subjective term.
If I understand correctly by reading the post, the JONGA is to be used on date and beyond, when hassle free(read more reliable) options are available more easily. Since, JONGAs are already out of production, it becomes all the more difficult to source the spares(which JONGAs are hungry for).
We will not talk about the fuel efficiency as it has been made clear that budget is not a criteria, so it is understood that procurement of something(petrol) would not be an issue which is easily available.
Problem still remains with the procurement of spares(what is the source?). It has nothing to do with good mechanics at present and those who were there in the army in those glorious days.
Let's be pragmatic on the issue and assimilate that in the 'good old days' better choices were not available. And had that cutting edge technology maintained it's sharp teeth; it would not have made way for more modern machinery.

Although, it is up to an individuals choice of buying/owning/maintaining/using/parking in the garage any petrol or diesel vehicle. It may be practical or not.

I agree to the fact the driving a JONGA was much more fun than the present breed of 4WD available in the forces, but that, is because a 6 cylinder 4L engine will deliver more!

Just for the records:In the good old days Army used to participate on a fabricated JONGA in 'The Himalayan Car Rally' and won in various categories. Army still sends their team based on Gypsy on the Raid and other events. And also these teams participating on date have improved their timings compared to the good old days. I wonder how?
Old 1st August 2011, 23:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
And also these teams participating on date have improved their timings compared to the good old days. I wonder how?
OT but now roads are bit better.
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:34   #27
BHPian

hi dhanush,
Did you find this jonga by any chance on the kozhikode-vadakkara highway? I remember seeing one while i was down there recently.

I was going from kozhikode to koyilandy and I stopped to check out a Jonga I spotted on the side of the road . I was quite surprised, albeit happily, to see a Jonga there. Yeah, that too seemed really beat up.

stewie
stewie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:55   #28
BHPian

Hi Dhanush,

I would assume that you would not be going forward with the purchase of this vehicle.

Before this turns into a Jonga vs other 4x4s, Do you mind sharing how much it was offered for and if it had any of the original parts / spares available along with the vehicle?

Sourcing parts is an issue which is why I buy whatever is available for the day I might need it. Contrary to reliability issues raised here, my Jonga hasn't failed me in the last 2000 kms

Hi Susan,

Do you have any images of these raid/rallye prepped jongas that were used in the "good old days". I bet they never used the RCL ones (because of all the added weight by the good men at VFJ back then).

Thanks heaps..
Prasad
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

2000 Kms? Hardly enough for a reliability assurance. But if you are not having any issues , I wish you the very best for future as well. Yes the images of a rally preped Jonga would be nice. There are a couple of old timers here, maybe they can help.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:01   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
2000 Kms? Hardly enough for a reliability assurance.
I look at this the other way . His is the newly restored one & you can expect many things coming up in first few thousand kms ( especially with off road stress ), then things start falling in to place one by one ( if addressed properly ) & remain there for long .

I think its a better sign if very few things needed attention , shows good workmanship at the Job .

Hope this trend continues

Sudarshan

Most Viewed