Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 10:20   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

The south is really SUV land !! The used car market of the north, Delhi / NCR is a hunting ground for the South. When I placed an Advt for my Pajero - 75% enquiries were from the south, Bangalore, Kerela, Chennai, Coimbatore. Single reason being that vehicles here are cheaper & relatively done lesser mileage & off-road trips, hence in better shape (just my POV)

Any which way, no harm exploring. Another great place for looking at buying used SUV's is Ludhiana, give it a shot if you know someone there.

Cheers
Old 11th August 2011, 12:07   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
1. I am not entirely excited about the pajero sport apart from the prospect that it will drive down Pajero prices (unless it just

I will probably just end up waiting
True. An option that maybe slightly expensive but in the desired condition is infinitely more desirable than an option which falls short on the condition front and is hence a non option.

In anycase the manner in which you have gone on with the process of vetting, elimination has been quite enlightening. Thank you sharing your thoughts. Hopefully you will get a vehicle in the desired condition sooner than later.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:48   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
In anycase the manner in which you have gone on with the process of vetting, elimination has been quite enlightening. Thank you sharing your thoughts. Hopefully you will get a vehicle in the desired condition sooner than later.
Thank you. you're too kind.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:12   #124
BHPian

hey guys, can you tell me some more detail about the 2007 montero (pre facelift), I found 5 monteros down south and they are all the pre facelift model.

to be honest, its no pajero, but it does look a lot more dated than the post facelift model primarily because of its cartoonishly flared front fenders and lack of projector HID headlights. However, I prefer the interior of the pre facelift model (almost entirely due to the fact that i am no fan of the post lift model's gauge cluster. but the pre facelift model's center cluster does look dated.

However, if its the same engine, the ride is as good, the handling is better, it does as well or better off road, and I can buy one today, thats the vehicle for me.

please do share what you guys know about this vehicle

thanks!
Old 11th August 2011, 17:14   #125
BHPian

another question. If I buy a car in bangalore or bombay and want to get it registered in my home town up north, whats the procedure? doable? or too much of a nuisance?
Old 11th August 2011, 17:35   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
another question. If I buy a car in bangalore or bombay and want to get it registered in my home town up north, whats the procedure? doable? or too much of a nuisance?
Doable, but too much of a nuisance. Most of the people I know, simply sell their cars when they change State. It is more of a nuisance in South than North. Delhi has vehicles with registration from all over India, but I believe down South they start harassing out of state vehicles.
Old 11th August 2011, 17:48   #127
BHPian

Quote:

If the intended city of registration is one where fresh registrations are allowed only for BS4 emission norm vehicles then not doable.Most likely your purchase will not be BS4 compliant if it is a used Montero.

Even if you have no such constraint it is better to be prudent and verify and confirm from a reliable RTO broker before venturing out to buy.
Old 11th August 2011, 17:55   #128
BHPian

it would get registered in haryana (not in the NCR) or chandigarh, which are not BS4. I was thinking that you require a no objection certificate to get a new plate and registeration, and those I am told are very tough to get.

whats an RTO broker?
Old 11th August 2011, 18:00   #129
BHPian

Quote:
it would get registered in haryana (not in the NCR) or chandigarh, which are not BS4. I was thinking that you require a no objection certificate to get a new plate and registeration, and those I am told are very tough to get.

whats an RTO broker?
For want of a better word...a fixer who manages things. It will help if you can read the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act on this. You will be aware of the requirements. And yes a NOC needs to be issued from the originating state RTO. As for NOC being tough to obtain - that also gets managed, the onus for this is on the seller not you. Your purchase should be contingent on a NOC being obtained and provided to you , after you pay a token amount confirming your decision to purchase the selected vehicle - within a stipulated time frame.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 11th August 2011 at 18:04.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:02   #130
BHPian

so really unless the seller can arrange that and provide it with the vehicle, its not worth taking the risk. and with a vehicle like the montero a typical owner is liable to find buyers without getting into hassles for the sake of an out of state buyer, so its a futile exercise?
Old 11th August 2011, 18:07   #131
Senior - BHPian

The way this works is wherever you get the car from, get the NOC from that RTO. The NOC will be valid for 6 months. You need to take the NOC to the RTO where you want to register the car and pay the balance road tax and get it registered. It will be a hassle if you want tax refund from the old RTO as that's next to impossible.

As regards to Delhi, I think you can register an old car in NCR if it complied with the prevalent emission norms existent in NCR when the vehicle was first registered.

And most RTO Agents don't know much so check the rules yourself. Its possible.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:07   #132
BHPian

Quote:
so really unless the seller can arrange that and provide it with the vehicle, its not worth taking the risk. and with a vehicle like the montero a typical owner is liable to find buyers without getting into hassles for the sake of an out of state buyer, so its a futile exercise?
Honestly it is a toss of a coin. You can ask the seller this before stepping out. Most sellers would need to incur the cost of the RTO broker at their end and should not quibble since this a high value vehicle and a ready customer with cash in hand is not really worth risking. But then that's my opinion and not a universal truth.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:09   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

As regards to Delhi, I think you can register an old car in NCR if it complied with the prevalent emission norms existent in NCR when the vehicle was first registered.

And most RTO Agents don't know much so check the rules yourself. Its possible.

Are you sure on this? If it is indeed the case then it should solve his problem to a very large extent.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Honestly it is a toss of a coin. You can ask the seller this before stepping out. Most sellers would need to incur the cost of the RTO broker at their end and should not quibble since this a high value vehicle and a ready customer with cash in hand is not really worth risking. But then that's my opinion and not a universal truth.
Getting NOC is the easiest task. Getting it re-registered is something that requires running around especially if you want it in Delhi/NCR. Else that's also an easy task.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:11   #135
BHPian

well, the two monteros I am looking at in the south, I spoke to the dealers selling them this morning, and have now emailed them asking about the NOC.

so whats the deal with the road tax? lets say I buy the car in Bangalore and get the NOC and now I got to the registeration office in chandigarh. THey will want road tax? how will they determine it? based on the price I paid? based on the vehicle's price when new? or is based on the difference in taxation rate between old and new state (say old state was 4%, new state is 5%, so the new state will want the 1% difference)?

I am sorry, I have never bought or registered any vehicle in India ever so I don't understand much.

EDIT

another question. if and when I go out there to check out the vehicles, what do I need to look for apart from the general condition of the vehicle, availability of NOC, and service history? Anything I need to check about insurance? anything else?

Last edited by Harbir : 11th August 2011 at 18:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks