Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 11:05   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Regarding tyres
All Terrain are better than HT (Highway Tread) for mix use and offer more grip. MT (Mud Terrain) are even better. However MT will wear out very fast if used on highways/tarmac. Having torque without corresponding tyre pattern is a waste as it causes wheel spin.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:56   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Endeavour333,

- Take a look at this thread; inspiration guaranteed

- The Endeavour will never be a "hard core" off-roader. What you can do instead is focus on improving its offroad performance. The most significant contributor here will be your choice of tyres (more than anything else). Look up Geolanders, they are highly recommended for onroad + offroad use.

- Another top priority is a proper tow hook....the Endy doesn't have one! You will need to be towed out sooner or later. And with that kerb weight, it's no easy task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
I would like to get into more serious off roading in the near future.
Buy a new Gypsy or Thar for the serious off-roading (as a 2nd vehicle). The Endeavour is too big, too heavy & not meant for serious off-roading.

Quote:
Was thinking of getting ride height raised too but he said that it will make the ride stiffer. Is this an advisable modification? If you think I should then by how much?
Do NOT raise your ride height; you will kill the Endeavour's on road behaviour.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Regarding tyres
All Terrain are better than HT (Highway Tread) for mix use and offer more grip. MT (Mud Terrain) are even better. However MT will wear out very fast if used on highways/tarmac. Having torque without corresponding tyre pattern is a waste as it causes wheel spin.
Thank you Sudev I am now going for AT tires instead of MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Endeavour333,

- Take a look at this thread; inspiration guaranteed

- The Endeavour will never be a "hard core" off-roader. What you can do instead is focus on improving its offroad performance. The most significant contributor here will be your choice of tyres (more than anything else). Look up Geolanders, they are highly recommended for onroad + offroad use.

- Another top priority is a proper tow hook....the Endy doesn't have one! You will need to be towed out sooner or later. And with that kerb weight, it's no easy task.

Buy a new Gypsy or Thar for the serious off-roading (as a 2nd vehicle). The Endeavour is too big, too heavy & not meant for serious off-roading.

Do NOT raise your ride height; you will kill the Endeavour's on road behaviour.
Wow that red Endeavour on Page 3 is amazing! Thank you!

Thank you for the recommendation of Geolanders by the way, they look perfect! Do you know where in India they are available and how I may get a hold of them?

I dont plan to do too Serious off roading I suppose. Only the kind that my Endeavour can handle. Once I get some AT tires that capability will be extended drastically.

Handing my car into the Garage today!
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I found out about Methods Tuning and IgNite The Garage through Team-BHP and I am really glad I did. Because very soon my Endeavour is going to transform into an off roading beast!

My basic goal is to increase the on road AND off road performance of my car since I'm the kind of guy that loves driving on all kinds of terrain. I could be driving a bunch of friends to Mahabalipuram and all of a sudden a nice off road spot would catch my eye and before anyone knows whats going on I would have taken a left into the shrubbery for a mild but fun off roading session. So far I have limited myself to mild off roading terrain but I would like to get into more serious off roading in the near future. hence the modifications that follow.

I saw Raghav at IgNite the day before yesterday to talk to him about what I could do to my car - performance wise. He is a really nice guy and has a great clean workshop. He took my car for a short test drive and once we got back he suggested a K&N air filter, increased turbo pressure, an oil change to Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and since I told him I like to go off roading, he suggested I get some proper off roading tires for my car as well. He said that the Endeavour has plenty of power but will struggle to put it down in the sand.

Since this car is my daily driver I didn't know whether to get these tires or not because I wasn't sure how they'd affect on road driving comfort. Will post before and after pics of my car here soon. everything except the tires will be done by August 6th.

Some question about the modifications that I would be grateful if more knowledgeable members could answer:
- How will off road tires affect my on road performance? Highway performance?
- Same make and type of tires he has on his Gypsy expect mine will be a little bigger

- Was thinking of getting ride height raised too but he said that it will make the ride stiffer. Is this an advisable modification? If you think I should then by how much?

- Are there any other mods that you would advise me to get?

Thank you all for your help! Will post pics as soon as I can.
Looking forward to bringing my Endeavour on future OTRs in Chennai
Hi Vishnu,

How will K&N Air FIlter and Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil , increased "Turbo Pressure"improve your Endeavours off-road Performance?

How long have you driven the Endeavour and have you pushed it to its limits, that you feel the need for such mods?

A Tow Hooks, 2 Tow Straps 4 D-Shackles and maybe a Change of Tyres will help you in the long run.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vishnu,

How will K&N Air FIlter and Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil , increased "Turbo Pressure"improve your Endeavours off-road Performance?

How long have you driven the Endeavour and have you pushed it to its limits, that you feel the need for such mods?

A Tow Hooks, 2 Tow Straps 4 D-Shackles and maybe a Change of Tyres will help you in the long run.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,

The reason I got the Air filter, turbo mod, etc is because I want to improve on road performance as well, namely acceleration. To improve off road performance I am getting AT Tires to begin with. The additional power cant be bad off road can it?

I have owned 3 different Endeavours over the past 6 years so I could say that I have pushed this model close to its limits. Even off road I took it to the beach, got it stuck once, got it out with some logs under the rear wheels and some extra man power. Figured out how not to get stuck after that though. I mostly know where my car in its current form can go and where it cant. The beach sand it quite dangerous for this car. It is just so heavy that the present HT tires sink in with the weight when I dont maintain speed.

The Endeavour has one tow hook in the front but nothing at the back so that will be one modification I will be getting soon.

Will get myself the straps and talk to someone about a tow hook in the rear and a winch attachment eventually as this is just the first step in my modifications.

More that making this car a major off roading vehicle, I'm looking at making it more of a hybrid that I take off road every once in a while. And hopefully make it so that it can handle atleast beach sand with ease.

Also 1 question, what will I use the D shackles for when off roading?

Thanks for all the comments and help so far. Appreciate it!
Old 6th August 2011, 22:19   #21
BHPian

Ok guys I need some help now. The ON road performance modifications are done and I will be collecting my car on Monday. Raghav said that the car responded very well to the increased turbo pressure! I am now trying to get a hold of some nice and chunky tires (All terrain) to increase off road performance and enhance the visual appeal of my car. I wanted to get taller and wider tires to increase ride height and grip but apparently those are impossible to find. I have done some calling and have so far found these All Terrain tires available in Chennai:

Maxxis Bravo 771 AT: 255/65/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.051 Price/Tire: 8,400
Michelin AT 245/70/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.503 Price/Tire: 9,500
Goodyear AT 245/70/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.503 Price/Tire: 8,000
Yokohama Geolander AT 235/70/16 Tire Diameter: 28.952 Price/Tire: 9,600

Stock Tires: MRF ZVTS HT 245/70/R16 Tire Diamenter: 29.503

At this point i'm leaning toward the Maxxis tires but they will lower my ride height from 210mm to 198mm. I wanted to Increase my ride height so not sure if this is a bad move or not. Other than that I would consider the Michelins or the Goodyears. The Geolanders seem like a bad move given that they are quite a bit smaller than my current tires.

Gentlemen, I need your help. As it turns out tires are expensive as hell and I want to make an informed decision. Should I maybe get MT Tires? How badly will they affect my daily driving? Highway driving? Point me in the right direction ?
Old 7th August 2011, 10:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sonny I really appreciate you answering my questions! Also, thanks for that info about the Intake. I really thought it was a raised exhaust to prevent water getting into it. Intake makes sense too. Quite an embarrassing blunder on an off road forum. lol.

With regard to the tires maybe I should go for AT tires instead of full off road tires?

I asked the Garage owner Raghav if he could tune my ECU but he said that it was locked on the Endeavour and fiesta? Will the tuning box enable you to tune the ECU even if it is locked? Maybe it is locked just for the new version of the Endeavour?
You could speak to a tunner like Kirrus (In Mumbai) who would be able to tune the car for better power. He will do the entire ECU remapping and give you extra NMs, extra horses and an decreased 10% fuel consumption.
Old 7th August 2011, 10:41   #23
BHPian

I have an AT and it performed absolutely well in serious mud, but in case of a steep incline, I would like to try in the presence of some experienced hands, but I am sure it will be able to manage.

I am looking at wider AT tyres too with a an inch or two of raise, an Ironman front bumber, an intake manifold on the left,... and will do the ECU remapping a little later. Once the warranty is over ( or even if before, if I get too excited), will work on CFL leafsprings and Ironman springs for the front. Also a tow-hook.

I am not a car-techie, and all of the above 'desire' elements are 'learnt' from others in the forum. Any suggestions!
Old 7th August 2011, 11:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Do you not get Geolanders in a wider size ? I am running 265's on my Pajero but that ofcourse is a 15" rim.

Do check out with some other dealers or the Yokohama Indian Website.

Cheers
Old 8th August 2011, 15:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
You could speak to a tunner like Kirrus (In Mumbai) who would be able to tune the car for better power. He will do the entire ECU remapping and give you extra NMs, extra horses and an decreased 10% fuel consumption.
Paco, I would love to do that but my car is very new and voiding the warranty now would not be smart. Instead I have increased turbo boost pressure and installed an Intake. Good temporary fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Do you not get Geolanders in a wider size ? I am running 265's on my Pajero but that ofcourse is a 15" rim.

Do check out with some other dealers or the Yokohama Indian Website.

Cheers
I'm still inquiring about tyres and as of now have some pretty good choices: here they are:

Maxxis Bravo 771 AT 255/65/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.051 Price/Tire: 8,400

New Finds:
Maxxis AT 275/60/R16 Tire Diameter: 28.992 Price/Tyre: 7,900 <<<
Apollo AT: 255/65/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.051 Price/Tyre: 9,000

So the Maxxis tyres certainly seem like a good bet except that they will be a little shorter than current stock tires and reduce ride height a bit. Guess I could live with that for some nice fat 275s! Still not sure though since my goal was to increase my ride height and not reduce it. Please advise?
Old 8th August 2011, 15:58   #26
BHPian

I got my car back this morning from Ignite after Engine modifications have been done!

To refresh, the mods that I had done were increased Turbo boost pressure, K&N Intake, Mobil 1 Oil change.

I was so excited to get my car back that I actually went to pick it up first thing in the morning and went late to work. Ok to be honest I had set my expectations of the performance increase a bit high. In order to satisfy my expectations Ignite would have had to increase the cars output by about a 100 horsepower! So when I got into the car initially I was slightly disappointed that when I pressed the accelerator, my vision did not blur and objects did not pass by me so quickly that they seemed to melt into one continuous texture. As I said, I had set my expectations a bit high.

It took me a second or two to get rid of my overly high expectations and then I started to notice the changes that my car had undergone. The low end torque had notably increased to a point where the car seemed quite jumpy and eager to get going on initial throttle application and torque was evenly higher through all RPMS! I think the Filter has something to do with this as well but I'm not exactly sure. The more I drove the car the more powerful it seemed to get or maybe I just noticed the difference more compared to stock.

One other huge difference I noticed was the smoothness of the Engine. There is drastically reduced vibration and noticeably reduced noise, both of which I would attribute to the Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. it was 5W-50 fully synthetic oil.

Raghav at Ignite Garage was a pleasure to deal with. Now off to get some fat all terrain tires (Which I still need help on finalizing by the way). Appreciate all the help.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Paco, I would love to do that but my car is very new and voiding the warranty now would not be smart. Instead I have increased turbo boost pressure and installed an Intake. Good temporary fix
The ECU remapping doesn't void the warranty. Anyways, its a personal call. My baby is just a year old, and while I too don't want to try out some stunts, but Kirrus' proposition is seductive.

What is Turbo Booster? I mean what did you do to her?

Can anyone respond... If I raise the Endy, will it void its warranty? Maxxis Bravo AT 771 with a raised height and preferably a set of classy flares with rivets likes that in Jeep Wrangler would make it 'hot'.

So many ideas... so many things to be done... including building my MM550 4X4 PS.
Old 8th August 2011, 19:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:

I'm still inquiring about tyres and as of now have some pretty good choices: here they are:

Maxxis Bravo 771 AT 255/65/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.051 Price/Tire: 8,400

New Finds:
Maxxis AT 275/60/R16 Tire Diameter: 28.992 Price/Tyre: 7,900 <<<
Apollo AT: 255/65/R16 Tire Diameter: 29.051 Price/Tyre: 9,000
Which are the evilest (more then the 'meanest') looking ATs? Where could I get them in Mumbai?

Should I add spacers to get them to flare beyond the regular width of the vehicle.

Just trying to build some attitude in my baby!
Old 10th August 2011, 00:29   #29

Quote:
Which are the evilest (more then the 'meanest') looking ATs? Where could I get them in Mumbai?

Should I add spacers to get them to flare beyond the regular width of the vehicle.

Just trying to build some attitude in my baby!
275/60/R16 will definitely push your tyres outside!
Old 10th August 2011, 09:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The ECU remapping doesn't void the warranty. Anyways, its a personal call. My baby is just a year old, and while I too don't want to try out some stunts, but Kirrus' proposition is seductive.

What is Turbo Booster? I mean what did you do to her?
I contacted Peter, the owner of Pete's Tuning Box and i'm going to order it today. Supposed to raise the stock 156 bhp to 176 and will raise the stock 380 nm of torque to 430! Huge rise.

The "Increased Turbo Boost" as I incorrectly referred to it, just means that I got the max boost pressure of the turbo (in psi) increased by 6 to 8 psi because stock turbo pressure is set very conservatively to last the whole life of the car. The way it is set now it will last maybe half the life of the car. But it's so much fun. Went out on a long off roading session yesterday off ECR and even went out on the beach along the coast for a while! The coastline was unexplored territory for my Endeavour and it just lapped it up without too much of a fuss. Good stuff.

Quote:
My votes for the meanest looking AT tires:
1. Geolanders
2. BF Goodrich TA/KO
3. Maxxis Bravo 771 AT

Not sure where to get them in Mumbai though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks