Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:16   #46
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

Looks to restrict turning radius. Perhaps try out and drive with lock on, it may not be difficult to drive vehicle away.
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Aroy - The steering lock kind of makes the steering - almost impossible to use because of the extended rod that you see in the picture. You can't rotate the steering as that rod will hit/get obstructed by the other parts in the car.

I agree - though called a steering lock - it technically does not 'lock' the steering.

Well, not that this is fool proof - it can be broken and has its pros and cons. Just makes it that much more difficult to drive away your car.
I prefer the old style steering lock, where one end is hooked to the steering wheel and the other to the clutch. That way you can niether rotate the steering, not depress the clutch. If the steering is locked at full left/right lock and the first gear is engaged, it is nearly impossible to drive the car away.
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I prefer the old style steering lock, where one end is hooked to the steering wheel and the other to the clutch. That way you can niether rotate the steering, not depress the clutch. If the steering is locked at full left/right lock and the first gear is engaged, it is nearly impossible to drive the car away.
Aroy - you are quite right - the old style J lock is better. In fact I do not use the steering lock - I only use the break lock. The steering lock is too bulky to carry around. The only reason I bought that one was it seems to be more popular in the US. As an after thought there is a J lock available for half the price and will do the job.(its called Dr. Hook Pedal to Steering lock). If someone is looking for a steering lock - get that hook lock.

Anyway back to my Thar - I am facing the exhaust fumes issue in my Thar. And its almost done 4600 Km and due for its first service.

I've met some Thar owners from Tbhp and they've provided some great inputs on what to get fixed in the first service and have seen great mods folks have done on their Thars.
Old 5th December 2011, 15:35   #49
BHPian

I've met some Thar owners from Tbhp and they've provided some great inputs on what to get fixed in the first service and have seen great mods folks have done on their Thars.[/quote]

@carrot_eater - Could you please share the inputs you have gathered on the things to get fixed for the first service, mine is due so I could keep that in mind.
Old 5th December 2011, 20:36   #50
BHPian

I faced exhaust issues as well. Extension pipe sideways for exhaust has not helped. Tying to figure out if it's a cat con issue, service guys and mahindra guys checked out and did not agree. I am inhaling an trying to enjoy on road thar experience.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

@Carrot Eater: Congrats on the Thar CRDe, above all I think you need a dress code to drive this vehicle; a green beret and military fatigue's for the formal occasions and a Tshirt button opened to let all that chest hair out and burly drop down mush/ beard and of course don't forget those Ray Ban Aviator's and visit the gym and pump up your arms and chest and the left leg for those clutch pedals. It's not enough if you drive the "Thar" you should look the part. To give you an example you should like Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal rolled in one. Better work at it before you do any modifications to the Thar modify yourself to suit the role of a Thar owner. This is one ride that makes the testosterone rather than the adrenaline flow.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th December 2011 at 22:27.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 21:46   #52
BANNED

Quote:
This is

Is it possible to drop the wind shield in the Thar? can you take a pic of it with wind shield down? just want to see how it looks in soft top
Old 9th December 2011, 09:53   #53
BHPian

Hi Josh,

I don't think the windshield in the Thar CRDE can be folded down onto the bonnet, as the Thar crde has a dashboard for A/C ducting fixed. So this may not be possible in the CRDE version. But I think the Thar DI has the provision to open the windshield glass from the windshield to the front.

And also i guess the windshield in the DI version can be folded onto the bonnet, but not on this part.

Raghu
raghu4222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 11:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thar CRDe's windshield can be folded / dropped down, you will need to loosen a few hardwares though.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 12:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
@Carrot Eater: Congrats on the Thar CRDe, above all I think you need a dress code to drive this vehicle; a green beret and military fatigue's for the formal occasions and a Tshirt button opened to let all that chest hair out and burly drop down mush/ beard and of course don't forget those Ray Ban Aviator's and visit the gym and pump up your arms and chest and the left leg for those clutch pedals. It's not enough if you drive the "Thar" you should look the part. To give you an example you should like Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal rolled in one. Better work at it before you do any modifications to the Thar modify yourself to suit the role of a Thar owner. This is one ride that makes the testosterone rather than the adrenaline flow.
damn,, you really killed my hopes of buying a thar. i'm so sad. just a though: would'nt he look wierd with a muscled up left leg and a spindly right one?
Old 9th December 2011, 17:47   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Aroy - The steering lock kind of makes the steering - almost impossible to use because of the extended rod that you see in the picture. You can't rotate the steering as that rod will hit/get obstructed by the other parts in the car.

I agree - though called a steering lock - it technically does not 'lock' the steering.

Well, not that this is fool proof - it can be broken and has its pros and cons. Just makes it that much more difficult to drive away your car.
Dear Carrot_Eater

Congrats on becoming a Proud Owner of The Thar !

Can you please post the price of the steering lock.
Old 9th December 2011, 21:45   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Thar CRDe's windshield can be folded / dropped down, you will need to loosen a few hardwares though.

Spike
In that case what happens to wiper? Are they designed to fold

And will the soft top be intact ? i meant it need to be taken off to fold the windshield
Old 10th December 2011, 09:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

^^ What happens in case of regular 5x0's, do those wipers fold? Also what happens to the soft top in the old 5x0's? Have you seen how the wiper / soft top is mounted in old 5x0's and the new Thar's? What difference have you observed?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 20:39   #59
BHPian

Congratulations though a bit late. Just found this thread. Enjoy many miles on it.

Your buying process was every bit what I went through except that I was not successful. I already had an i10, a pulsar and a kinetic. I just wanted a ride for myself and the Thar was a "BIG MAGNET". Wife and daughters never accepted my idea. I lost 1:3 and bought an Optra Magnum but only for the time being. I will never give up hope and one day I will buy a jeep, if required silently.

Quote:

Is it just possibe to get a clamp like what the bangalore traffic police uses to lock the wheels? Only that do not forget to remove it before driving off. And if you are in violation, a cop might see that you are already caught and move on.

( A thought but severely off topic:
What will the cops do if the stepne is fitted and the vehicle is driven away? Of course, they will have to go to the RTO and then reach you if they find the records.
Disclaimer: I'm not implying that you violate in the first place for those who want to argue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
damn,, you really killed my hopes of buying a thar. i'm so sad. just a though: would'nt he look wierd with a muscled up left leg and a spindly right one?
this one is very funny. How did you ever get such thoughts?
Old 12th December 2011, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post

this one is very funny. How did you ever get such thoughts?
check out durango dudes post, i was in splits after i read it, i have no ides if he was being serious of sarcy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks