Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 17:04   #91
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

You love the new brakes? Yes, they are good now, but let me tell you that these brakes also can still be improved to much better performance level, with full engineering and reliability ensured! Let the debate start, only good will come out of it. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Dhabhar Sahab, Thanks for all your help - and thanks again for launching the Thar in India.

Well the brakes - the best would be the twin pot caliper setup that you have mentioned - that upgrade is very expensive off the market.

Thar customers should get the brake set up that you had on your black Thar from the production line.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 26th August 2014, 18:04   #92
KMT
BHPian

Carrot Eater
Please can you share the details.of the work you undertook to upgrade the brakes.
SPECIFICALLY-
Part numbers
Costs
Photos
Phone number and Name of Mechanic

Sitting in Coorg, both the local India Garage and my trusty mechanic don't want to do it.
I will have to come to Bangalore to have it done.

Any advice will be welcome
thanks
KMT
Old 27th August 2014, 09:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Carrot Eater
Please can you share the details.of the work you undertook to upgrade the brakes.
SPECIFICALLY-
Part numbers
Costs
Photos
Phone number and Name of Mechanic
KMT
All this information is already there cpbopanna has posted that in great detail

here is the link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3274968

I got mine done at a different place though - Sireesh Auto near Jakkur. The price point is similar around 12.5K.

I had gone for the 35K service and got this upgrade alongside as the parts were available.

My service advisor was Ms. Asha.

Make sure you get the brakes bled / brake fluid level checked and LSPV setting done properly.

And test it out yourself properly in the test drive - sudden braking, braking many time frequently before you drive back home to ensure there is no failure in repeated brake application - Take a proper long test drive until you are satisfied they have done a good job.

By the way it should be possible at the India Garage in Coorg as well - those are standard Mahindra parts and the mechanics should be able to do brake upgrades.

Hope it helps

cheers
Carrot
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:14   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Dear Dhabhar Sahab, Thar customers should get the brake set up that you had on your black Thar from the production line. Cheers Carrot
Dear Ranjit - go ahead, spend some money and get the twin pot calipers fitted alongwith the bigger discs and stub axles, you will be amazed at the quantum improvement in braking performance. Besides snap-shot handling, I had given 16" wheels for this reason only, the whole thing is a direct fit! Please also put the bigger vacuum tank (like Rajith has done) to obtain effective repeat braking on long downhill stretches.

It is common sense, because as spending power of this class of customers increases and roads become faster, customers will demand this performance and they will pay for such a useful feature. Demand it, guys!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th August 2014 at 00:13. Reason: removing mention of high speeds. Thanks.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:38   #95
KMT
BHPian

Thank you for this information Carrot Eater.

The local IG workshop has not done this upgrade before. They asked me to change my front ride height to improve braking efficiency. The other option they suggested is to upgrade stub axles and calipers.

Could you tell me whether you put in the new Thar Booster and small vac reservoir or whether you put in the old Scorpio Booster and big square tank.

Thank You
KMT
Old 28th August 2014, 11:25   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ranjit - go ahead, spend some money and get the twin pot calipers fitted alongwith the bigger discs and stub axles, you will be amazed at the quantum improvement in braking performance. Besides snap-shot handling, I had given 16" wheels for this reason only, the whole thing is a direct fit! Please also put the bigger vacuum tank (like Rajith has done) to obtain effective repeat braking on long downhill stretches.

It is common sense, because as spending power of this class of customers increases and roads become faster, customers will demand this performance and they will pay for such a useful feature. Demand it, guys!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram ji - Does a Thar bought now also need brake upgrades? Mahindra Nashik tells me they have already done the needful changes and the new set up works very well, is that true?

I know you and @desertfox keep telling us to keep OEM tires. Other than some minor suspension issues, can you please list what are the negatives in upgrading the tires purely from an aesthetic point of view.

Lastly, are you are liberty to comment at the updated 401 Thar launching in early 2015. What is changing?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 30th August 2014 at 00:13. Reason: quoted post has been edited.
Old 28th August 2014, 13:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this information Carrot Eater.
The local IG workshop has not done this upgrade before. They asked me to change my front ride height to improve braking efficiency. The other option they suggested is to upgrade stub axles and calipers.

Could you tell me whether you put in the new Thar Booster and small vac reservoir or whether you put in the old Scorpio Booster and big square tank.
Ask the local IG guy to procure the new Thar Booster and fit that.

I have got the same set up as the newer Thars now - i.e. New Thar Booster and the same small vac reservoir. I'll try and post some pics soon

Thanks
Carrot

Last edited by carrot_eater : 28th August 2014 at 13:40. Reason: addition of line
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 19:41   #98
BHPian

I have also upgraded to the Booster no 0607AB0300N.Could not source the new Thar Booster{0607AAB01751N}.Are they both the same with different numbers?Braking has improved significantly.
Both rear brake cylinders were jammed and had to be replaced.

Incidentally also found out that my Thar didn't have a vacuum reservoir! Perhaps it was removed during ?AC installation.
Old 29th August 2014, 11:30   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Part numbers
Costs
Photos
Posting some pictures

Part number is visible on the pic.

the cost is 12.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
I have also upgraded to the Booster no 0607AB0300N.Could not source the new Thar Booster{0607AAB01751N}..
I am not sure if there is a difference. And the vacuum tank must be there - right in front of battery...

Below is the picture of the brake booster with the part number

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-20140829_105548.jpg

Another one

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-20140829_105611.jpg

The vacuum tank

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-20140829_105624.jpg

Still Love it after 3 years.

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-20140829_105713.jpg

Last edited by carrot_eater : 29th August 2014 at 11:36. Reason: more info
Old 29th August 2014, 20:11   #100
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure if there is a difference. And the vacuum tank must be there - right in front of battery...
Nope. The hose which is supposed to be connected to the vacuum tank is dangling free! But in spite of this I have not felt the lack of braking power on downhill routes.
Old 29th August 2014, 21:39   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. The hose which is supposed to be connected to the vacuum tank is dangling free! But in spite of this I have not felt the lack of braking power on downhill routes.
It should be the bigger vacuum tank that should be there ideally. I will get than done sooner that later - as soon as the part is available. But Driving around without one ...well what can I say..

Please get the vacuum tank - maybe you will find out what you've been missing until now - while you are at it - do get the bigger vacuum tank fitted.

Cheers
Carrot

Last edited by carrot_eater : 29th August 2014 at 21:41. Reason: spelling
Old 30th August 2014, 00:39   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Please get the vacuum tank - maybe you will find out what you've been missing until now - while you are at it - do get the bigger vacuum tank fitted.
Yeah I brought the larger vacuum tank and the hoses along with my brake upgrade.But the local mechanic said it was not possible to fix the vacuum tank.

My thar has the vacuum hose directly connected from the alternator to the booster.There is no "Tee" which Cpbopanna mentions in the upgrade process.

Will take the reservoir to the ASC to find out.
Old 4th September 2014, 21:24   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Will take the reservoir to the ASC to find out.
did you get a chance to get this done - Any change or improvement in the braking? I am wondering if the bigger vacuum tank makes any difference at all?

Cheers
Carrot
Old 4th September 2014, 22:34   #104

Quote:
did you get a chance to get this done - Any change or improvement in the braking? I am wondering if the bigger vacuum tank makes any difference at all?

Cheers
Carrot
Its almost sadist to read these braking issues again and again needing "an upgrade" for a new vehicle. Almost makes one wonder why would Mahindra or any care maker for that matter, not work on a safety issue while folks that work there are advising people on how to upgrade brakes.

We are not talking about a superficial or cosmetic want of customers, but something that is purely a safety concern. If this was the US, there would a class-action lawsuit and like Ford, Mahindra would be paying big bucks to customers.

There needs to be strong consumer protection policies in place in India, just like many other much needed legislation to make it half-way worthy of international standards.

I suggest BHPers start an online petition to force Mahindra to upgrade ALL brakes under warranty, despite how old the vehicles are. This is acceptable because the cult like us keeps buying their incompetence for lack of competition.
monkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 08:53   #105
BHPian

Driving around 2000 KMs with the brake upgrade ( bigger booster only) -The upgraded booster performs great. Its been a lot of wet weather lately and the better brakes have helped a lot.. The canopy has been leaking at a few spots...maybe time for a new canopy.

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0989.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks