Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2017, 09:09   #121
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

This August 1st - My Jeep turned 6.

So far - great experience owning the Jeep.

I also realize today (Aug 10th) is Mr. Dhabhar's death Anniversary - I thank him again for all the help and guidance.

Carrot
carrot_eater is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 10:38   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
This August 1st - My Jeep turned 6.
Hi Carrot, Congrats.

Was it you in Taj Hotel Coonoor last week? I wanted to come and say hello, but you were on the phone and I had to leave .
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Carrot, Congrats.

Was it you in Taj Hotel Coonoor last week? I wanted to come and say hello, but you were on the phone and I had to leave .
Thanks - No it wasn't me at Coonoor. But had I been there or anywhere, regardless on phone or not on phone - please don't hesitate to say hello. Everyone has lot of respect for Tbhpians and its great to meet Forum members in person always.

Cheers
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 09:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1538816

On the way to Thekkady.

Overall on long drives - the good part is, the Thar is perfectly stable vehicle, feels grounded on high speeds.
Two things that bother
1. At higher speeds the canopy makes quite a bit of sound and you really have to turn up the volume on your music to hear well. I blew up a speaker by doing this.

Thinking of adding an amplifier to the music system. Anyone knows if that will help in preventing blown up speakers?
No, an amplifier will add power to the speakers and make you more likely to blow them, unless you buy armoured speakers. These tend to resist damage by maniacal volume user error and terrorist music critics. I don't even have a radio in my Thar. I would rather hear the vehicle and what's going on around me. A year ago I had a fellow build a steel cap on my Thar. This has worked out very well for me. Less noise, less dirt, more air con, more heat. Look around this site. You will find a lot of options for Thar hardtops.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 23:37   #125
BHPian

In this post below - there is no new information on the Thar, its just summing my experience of owing the Thar, so might as well skip reading it.

It’s 7 years since I have owned the Thar. I had waited for 5 months after making the booking and another full month after full payment. I was hooked on the official review of Khan Sultan, and made many friends on TBHP and have met few of them in real life. I am quite sure, there will no car in the future that I would buy that with passion and enthusiasm.

In the last 7 years, I have driven over 90K kms including several long distance trips, Bangalore- Goa (several times), Bangalore - Coorg, Wayanad (several times), Bangalore - Thekkady, Munnar, Guruvayur, Coimbatore and quite a few other place in south India. All memorable trips and All in the Thar.

When I bought the Thar, my son was 6 and my wife was 8 and half months pregnant - Thar wasn’t the most practical car, I had an i10 and a Scorpio so Thar was not the only car so it was ok. 90% of the time I was the only one in the Thar. Thanks to my wife and kids that I could buy the Thar, well I did it inspite of their protests

While on longer drives, the rear bench seats served as camp cots for my kids and they would sleep there and our longer drives were fun.

Now my son is now 13 and a half and my daughter is 6 and in the more recent trip to Chennai - summer around March end, I realised that perhaps it was time for change.
1. The AC, while effective for the front seats, doesn’t really do a great job in keeping the back part cool enough, I mean it quite ok for Bangalore but Chennai in the afternoon and during the peak summer - No
2. My son no longer can fit in the rear bench seat to sleep, and now he is now taller and a teenager and wants to see outside

I always kept my speeds under 100 - knowing there are NO safety features in Thar apart from the seat belts for the front passengers.

Now that my work will demand more time on the highway and might have to do several trips outside Bangalore frequently, I will buy something that will serve my purpose better.

Its hard to sell something that is so much part of your memories that you keep postponing it but then when its time , it is time to take the decision. I don’t have space to park another car, my wife needs the hatchback so time to sell the Thar. I know I miss my Thar sorely.

I wanted to record my sentiments on TBHP, not for anyone to read but for myself as I do revisit this page once in a while.

If you have reached till here - Thank you for reading.

If you have any questions on Thar do reach out, I am no expert but I can try to give answers. I got a lot from this forum so many people. Spike Arrestor, Behram (RIP), Samurai and many others had taken time to respond to my queries.

I still say, Thar can be your daily drive - as long as there are only 2 people it can be used for highways - but you ought to be careful - No Safety Features at all.

Anyway, I might be Jeep-less for a while but hopefully not for long, Once the Jeep bug bites you, I am quite sure you end up owning another one soon.

As for what will I buy - I wanted to buy the Fortuner, but its 10 Lacs too expensive and I won’t be using the 4WD in that so no point buying that.

It will be Innova Crysta - more practical decision and Primarily for its Safety Features.

And with the spare 10 Lacs - who knows, maybe the Gurkha at some point. We will see.

Some Memories
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-00001img_00001_burst20180703074532_cover.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_20180217_101919_1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_20180703_074503.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_20180714_131118.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-webp.netcompressimage.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_20170318_172721.jpg  

Last edited by carrot_eater : 14th July 2018 at 23:44.
carrot_eater is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:07   #126
BHPian

I have sold my Thar now and it was a great experience owning that Thar for 7 years.
Bought it exactly today (1st Aug) 7 years back.

Will keep visiting the 4X4 forums and Keep looking for a new 4X4 hopefully will buy one soon.

Here's recapping my journey with the Thar!

First picture
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2099_crop.jpg

And the last picture (with added effects from google photos) of the Thar - that was mine!

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_20180714_130914effects-1.jpg

If you notice the place is the same where both pics were taken.

With that Gentlemen- that's the End of My story of My Thar!

Dear Moderators

Request you to close this thread.

Thank you
Carrot_eater.
carrot_eater is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 10:08   #127
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
After driving the Thar for 3 years now. Finally got the Brake upgrade done - It works like a charm. Anyone who has a older Thar without the bigger brake booster should get that upgraded. It give that much extra "bite" while braking.

PS : - Even after 3 years, Thar remains my daily drive vehicle and I still love it

Cheers
Carrot.
Hello there! Have been reading about brake upgrades. I have a 2012 Thar CRDe. I plan to get the brakes upgraded. Could you let me know where in Bangalore the upgrade was done? Ive already bought the parts. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Y
Old 19th June 2020, 13:11   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
Hello there! Have been reading about brake upgrades. I have a 2012 Thar CRDe. I plan to get the brakes upgraded. Could you let me know where in Bangalore the upgrade was done? Ive already bought the parts. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Y
The brake updates was done at Sireesh auto works Jakkur. Any service center should be able to do it.
Old 19th June 2020, 14:09   #129
BHPian

Thanks mate! Will get it done in my next visit to Bangalore. Do let me know if I need to to be aware of something important while the mechanics do the upgrade.

I went through your entire thread again - for some reason, I felt proud. Don’t know because you owned one for sucha long period or because I don’t intend to sell it anytime soon! Lol

Mine has clocked little over 80k after 8 years and 1 month. From maintenance point of view, regular services + balance rod bushes (2 months back) and tyre change at 50-55k. Nothing else! Has been a blissful ownership so far (touchwood!)

Btw, this is what I’m feeling right now: I think you will get back to your Thar’ing days with the 2020 model! You can then edit the title again “Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold! EDIT: Bought it home again!!”

Cheers,
Y
kryogesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed