Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:18   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

I wouldn't call this a review and hence under the 4X4 section. For a review please see Khan Sultan's review - that's very very comprehensive or even check out DKG or Janjua's thread.

The below is just my story of my Thar.

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2048.jpg

The beginning

Well Why Finally on the heading ? Guess the story goes back Dec 2010. When Thar got launched. I had to wait untill 14-Jan-11 for a test drive - drove one and had decided then - that this is something I am going to have to buy! By the way I am one of those who stop and admire the Military 550's like crazy

That day I come home and announced that I am going to buy a JEEP. And the first question was how much is it? And I say - Around 8 Lacs including AC.

Mother - "Beta! utne paise mein tho aadha kilo Gold aa jaatha hai"

Wife - "We can on a holiday to Switzerland and see - Jung Frau, Mount Titlis..and all those beautiful places - or we can go to see Niagara and Golden Gate and we can do this TWICE for that money.."

Neighbor - a young man of 19-20 years says - "Dude!! you can buy a 55" LED TV with a home theater and a Play station 3 and Not one - you could buy TWO sets of these" - and he wanted me to gift him one.

Friends - well you will get some good IPOs this year. Keep the money and invest in those IPOs - you'll make a killing.

To be honest - looked like they made sense... - you got to be aware of the the opportunity cost . I drove a Zen, I had an i10 auto shift. By they way - that i10 Auto shift took away quite a bit of my savings but then my wife never got to learn to drive a manual shift and my Father loved the idea of not changing gears so ended up buying one.

Booking

Anyway - days passed and my family saw me hooked to Tbhp all the time..Father said - "what happened to your jeep" and I said - I am waiting for the AC. Father: what AC !, you can't get an AC in a soft top so if you really want it - take it, drive it with windows down - Looked like even he wanted it one soon. My father was with me with we did the first test drive.

That was March - and we went to the dealership and made the payment of 50K for booking the Thar. March 26 to be precise. The color chosen was Rocky beige- wanted the white but CRDE wasn't available in that color. The booking acknowledgement said 5 months waiting. I was told - the Factory fitted AC could be available in 4-5 months. Anyway we are not in a hurry and took the receipt and life moved on.

I sold my Zen and started using my brother's Scorpio - he is out on an assignment abroad so practically his Scorpio was not being used so I started using that. We as a family have had great times with the Scorp and I absolutely love it. Thought I will mention my Great experience with Mahindra already.

Back to Thar, oh! by this time - mother and wife were ok with the idea of my buying a Jeep - why? - because I got some gold, and took some holidays - And took a few more test drives with them to convince that it made sense- not sure if they got convinced.

The news of FF AC was no where in sight so still waited. And the waiting proved to be useful - few niggles, I think, got sorted out and I was more sure that I really wanted the Thar...it was not sleeping over it..it was sleeping over this decision for 4 months !!

Meanwhile - while we used to go on the roads, my wife would point to some broken Govt Jeeps and tell my son- look Papa is going to buy that Jeep. And my son, all of six years, says "papa you can buy that jeep but I am not going in school in that, ok? I can't be seen in that!" At that point wife would add - why don't you buy a Honda Accord - used is fine.

Well, it was not long before we would run into an Army Jeep and then I showed it to my son- look at that Jeep and believe me he's got the Jeep gene- the moment that saw that Army Jeep up close he couldn't stop looking at it. And every time we saw one - he would shout and point out - Look the Military Jeep!! And somehow my wife also started liking the Jeep - strange - but it happened.

Delivery
Long story short as the FF AC was still no-where in sight - DKG also had booked his Thar - I must say his thread/ pictures are awesome - I made the full payment by cheque on July 9th. I was told by family to wait until 01-Aug- some auspicious month beginning. I was ok with that..Meanwhile there was DKG's thread to keep me amused for the remaining period.

01-Aug-2011- Today, I went to the showroom at 11:00. That was the time I was promised the delivery. Well I walked up and they said the Jeep is going to come from St' Marks road and will take some more time. I did not complain - I had the free coffee, in fact my whole family was there - we all had the free coffee - twice!! and they even had a play station and that kept myself and kiddo amused for the next 45-50 minutes or so until the lady announced your Thar is here.

And well I see it in flesh - my own Thar!! and believe me, all of my family loved the way it looked in Rocky Beige color.(thank God, its not available in white or I would have been regretting) And it does look awesome!! NO DOUBT! The dealership gave the mats and the insect mesh free. Need to get the insect mesh fixed - hopefully with the number plate. Did not want any holes to be drilled so skipped the headlight grill. Can do it later always, if I decide to.

Initial Impressions

After the formalities- I drove out and not even 100 mts away from the showroom and you should look how people looked at the Thar. It is a head turner Period!. Ok I know you have read it before..but this was like you had Jr. Bacchan's wife on a bike with you. The way the men stared at this thing - was unbelievable. And I, like a nice bloke, smiled and they started asking questions - how much? and the quintessential "kitna dethi hai" I am not exaggerating a bit - I had folks asking me that every 30 mins and one bloke was driving a Monterio was also staring and finally when I smiled he asked the question - how much on road? Is it 4WD?

And this is not the first car, I am driving out of a showroom, I have done this before and never remember this experience.

Well - the engine is great the gear box, well - smooth for most part - reverse is tricky and I noticed that sometimes the first gear takes a couple of clutch compressions, I wouldn't call it a problem - Turning radius is amazing - as good as a hatch - maybe better. Interiors well - everyone knows - bit of rust here and there - will have that fixed. Not much of an issue for me.

The view is amazing. The front seats are really comfortable.

I think DKG's thread in detail explains each and every part/ aspect - And I completely agree with his observations ! Btw Mr. DKG / Spike if you happen to read this thread - My Thar was manufactured on 29-June- yep I got the sticker - not blue but white.

And before some one points out - A large part of my savings/portfolio is invested in M&M stocks and I've good returns- so please read this review with that disclosure !

By the way- mods planned.

1. First and foremost - AC - only with Approved Mahindra kit - whenever it is available.
2. Music system- I am not a very music person -but might get one basic stuff.
3. Tyre and alloys - Tyres I did send a PM to Spike - no response as yet. but I think - most of my driving will be on Tar so might hold on this for later. Alloys - I like the new Scorp alloys but AC is priority for me, when deciding where should I spend my money.
4. Vehicle Safety - For most part - I have safe parking at home and office and have ordered a club steering and brake lock and I have decided that I will carry a shoulder bag, have got one called Eastpak Delegate - ordered it on Amazon.uk for 30 pounds - great shoulder bag and that will take care of my camera, sunglasses and keys and by the way it is better to always carry your things with you so nothing gets stolen by the valet guys - just a different perspective guys!

Finally - Is Thar over priced - I do think so - it could have been cheaper by a lakh especially with no AC - but then at least it is here - for one to buy - for the whole of 2010 - even that was not known.

Personally - I love this Thar - It is an amazing Jeep. IFS or Solid Axle, FFRA or not - to me I like the IFS as that makes the ride smooth on Roads - In fact my wife was mentioning that the front seats are really comfortable.

Not so great

The Breaks are really not confidence inspiring. And the steering is heavy compared to Scoprio. I am sure this could be fixed. The breaks more importantly. I hope Spike/ Mr.Dhabar can help.

The toolkit will need some cushioning. As it is the tools are just thrown in the lockable box - As an immediate fix, I just kept them below the rubber Mat and above the carpet under the passenger seat.

Wish they had given AT tyres from Factory. I checked around and I got a quotes of 15K for the tyre upgrade. Thought will keep that for later if at all as the first money goes to AC.

Off Roading well , whatever I can do without damaging my Thar - I will try and anything more - I won't ! Its not my primary off road vehicle - its my daily drive with some weekend fun!!

Well the neighbor said - Dude!! you got yourself a cool machine. And I agree. And the son wants to go to school only in the Thar and he is proud showing it off to his friends at School and want me to pick him up from school as well - but he'll have to take the school bus back home - need to earn my living as well.

So there you are guys. I want to Thank SPike, DKG, Janjua - all for answering all the questions that I had.

Some pics

Before leaving to take the delivery - Space for parking the Thar
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2000.jpg

Odometer reading of 45 KM at the showroom
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2011.jpg

Its home
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2022.jpg
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2021.jpg

At a resort for a lunch celebration
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2031.jpg

Few Pics with the nature as background - love the way the Rocky Beige blends in with the nature.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2049.jpg
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2052.jpg

Here is a small addition in chrome -bling, bling. in case you are wondering what is it - it is the vehicle emblem - longhorns - of the Univ. of Texas.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2058.jpg

Side profile
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2074.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd August 2011 at 11:00. Reason: PM Sent
carrot_eater is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:45   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

Congrats Dude!! I am still waiting for M&M to announce thier AC version and I will book immediately...i wish they also add few more colors..i would love my Thar to be Jawa Brown...or a Sandstorm color (the upcoming Royal Enfield color)

you have captured most of the family reactions very well; i go through similar reactions back home. we jeepers never change as we love to take care of things we love. its up to others to understand / misunderstand.

if you travel to US, buy a fabric called CarbonX (its a pyroblanket fabric); use it as an inner liner for the softtop. this will help you insulate solar heat and can contain your cabin temperature for a longer time

cheers
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend, you have got yourself a very very good vehicle for your garage. I love dthe way you wrote the review and your buying process.

Yes, the THAR is a head turner and looks absolutely stunning in the Rocky Beige.

My 2 cents: if you getting the option of changing tyres to AT for 15K, then do it.

Meanwhile, enjoy driving and sharing your driving experiences. Hope to see you soon at an OTR meet.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dear Ranjit (hope I got it right)-- Congratulations . The stance of your Thar is perfect (correct ride heights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
The below is just my story of my Thar.
Good start.

Quote:
I think DKG's thread in detail explains each and every part/ aspect - And I completely agree with his observations ! Btw Mr. DKG / Spike if you happen to read this thread - My Thar was manufactured on 29-June- yep I got the sticker - not blue but white.
Yeah, the color of sticker keeps on changing blue, white, yellow, pink etc.

Quote:
1. First and foremost - AC - only with Approved Mahindra kit - whenever it is available.
I told you to wait, never mind!

Quote:
3. Tyre and alloys - Tyres I did send a PM to Spike - no response as yet. but I think - most of my driving will be on Tar so might hold on this for later. Alloys - I like the new Scorp alloys but AC is priority for me, when deciding where should I spend my money.
Extremely sorry if I missed your PM, apologies. Got busy with other things.

As this will be your daily drive I would suggest you stick to a similar size / profile. At the max (if planning to change tires) upgrade to an A/T.

Quote:
The Breaks are really not confidence inspiring. And the steering is heavy compared to Scoprio. I am sure this could be fixed. The breaks more importantly. I hope Spike/ Mr.Dhabar can help.
Doable.

Quote:
I want to Thank SPike, DKG, Janjua - all for answering all the questions that I had.
This is the least as an individual I can do for the forum and to a paying customer. Anytime at your service Sir.

Drive safe!

Spike

PS- Please PM me your email id.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

One more Thar and that too in my favorite color. I am seeing a trend here. Lot dilly dallying. Lot of queries, fights and what not on the Thar thread. And then an ownership thread.

Wish I had that cash to spare.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Congrats Carrot-eater on your Thar - mine is coming on the 8th, but taking delivery only on 18th - we should do a Thar road trip sometime...
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
My friend, you have got yourself a very very good vehicle for your garage. I love dthe way you wrote the review and your buying process.
Yes, the THAR is a head turner and looks absolutely stunning in the Rocky Beige.
My 2 cents: if you getting the option of changing tyres to AT for 15K, then do it.
Thank you Khan - your review was very helpful - I must have read it over 100 times now. About the AT tyres - well - I want to get the AC first - that's where I want my first money to go in. And I am not sure if AT tyres will help me a lot as I will use this Thar in the city more often than - off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Congratulations . The stance of your Thar is perfect (correct ride heights).
I told you to wait, never mind!
As this will be your daily drive I would suggest you stick to a similar size / profile. At the max (if planning to change tires) upgrade to an A/T.
Well Spike - I did wait -4 long months but anyway, now that it ain't that warm in Bangalore - I am finding it ok without AC. And Tyres and alloys -will wait on that one.

What is meant by correct ride heights.

Quote:
Doable.
More information please.

Quote:
This is the least as an individual I can do for the forum and to a paying customer. Anytime at your service Sir.

PS- Please PM me your email id.
PM sent.

Download2live - Well wait for a few more months - maybe you might just get the FF AC by then.

And Manasm - you sure will be happy when you drive this. BTW did you get a quote on your AT tyres yet.

Thank you
Carrot
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:07   #8
BHPian

congrats carrot eater! Looks awesome - and i am sure drives too!
I am in the same boat as you were - only that i have an additional thing to worry about - safe parking!

I dont have a enclosed parking available - oh how i envy you guys with a safe parking option avialable :(
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:23   #9
BHPian

Congrats Carrot Eater, i simply like the narration and the Colour and the 'Longhorns' is an eye candy, initially i misintrepreted it to be a different variant of Thar until i read your lines , happy jeeping...and ondh roundu please
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I know its a jeep and and has its limitations but what do you think of its interior comfort? E.G., do you think bigger men will have any trouble fitting in the seats? How about the adjustability of the seats...is there leg room...head room?

....and congratulations. Good color.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:06   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..The below is just my story of my Thar..
Congrats carrot_eater! Looks fabulous! How did you find the 'offset' steering? And please put the i10 back under the shade. Thar can endure a lot more than the pretty lady! She needs more care.

Also, as BD has recommended on the other ownership threads, please do consider changing the bumpers. Present ones look very tacky, especially the rear ones.

Wishing you a trouble free ownership!
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
what do you think of its interior comfort? E.G., do you think bigger men will have any trouble fitting in the seats? How about the adjustability of the seats...is there leg room...head room?
To me the interior comfort on the front 2 seats is great. I think bigger men should have no problem. The front seat on the driver seat can really move back to create more space for the driver. As a comparison - quite a lot more than a Scorpio. Back seats - as they come - they have no head room what so ever. Good for kids. Adults can survive only 30-45 mins in it.

Here is a pic
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2110.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congrats carrot_eater! Looks fabulous! How did you find the 'offset' steering? And please put the i10 back under the shade. Thar can endure a lot more than the pretty lady! She needs more care.

Also, as BD has recommended on the other ownership threads, please do consider changing the bumpers. Present ones look very tacky, especially the rear ones.
The offset steering - to be honest, I did notice it initially but when you drive it for 5-10mins -It hardly matters - I mean you seriously do not feel it at all while driving.

i10 well its normally under a cover on weekends and will be moved back in shade once the Thar is out which is most days - Since Thar is used more often - it stays back. Right next to my RE 350. They do look good together..Harley would have been better but I like my RE 350 - used only on weekends now or occasionally for a small errands. But it sure feels great riding it.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2109.jpg

And well the Thar makes one more family member happy. He seems to like this - no more worries of hair sticking to all the interiors..can just take him for a ride to the Vet or for a small drive without worrying about hair spoiling the interiors.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2094.jpg

Not sure if he was really happy - doing his strange thing
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2096.jpg

A quick view of the dashboard

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2107.jpg

I am going to get some some gear boots made to fix this thing.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img_2111.jpg

Waiting for some time to clean this up - remove all the plastics - I know it looks odd.

Cheers
Carrot

Last edited by carrot_eater : 2nd August 2011 at 18:45. Reason: added more info
carrot_eater is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats that you were able to get what you dreamt of, beleive me some time ladies are bit moody, MY brother and me we both wanted to Get Boleros but his Mrs. and MY lady both did not aprove of it, Where as Mum was in favour of it, here we both end up him with a Ritz and me with a Figo, but the next Vehicle would be a jeep not sure of a THAR though i love this and have owned a 540 in past for a very small time but if not then a Bolero.

Last edited by desideep : 2nd August 2011 at 21:06.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
And I am not sure if AT tyres will help me a lot as I will use this Thar in the city more often than - off road.
Congratulations and welcome to the Bangalore Thar Club. It is one awesome vehicle that I love driving everyday.

Though I upgraded my tyres to AT primarily for off-roading, the difference it made in city driving was unbelievable. I would suggest you go for A/C, A/T Tyres and Alloys in that order. The only issue would be that you might end up loosing more money as you run the tyres.

Feel free to take my Thar for a spin to judge if the tyre change is worth it.

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:57   #15
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
I am going to get some some gear boots made to fix this thing.
Carrot
Carrot_eater,

And the door handles will break, spare ones will not be available, service will be questionable, but you will still enjoy it. And it gives you the oppurtunity to enagage with it with this the sort of innovation you want to do on the gear boot. Sorted my back out with the constant jumps and bumps. ook at the brighter side of things. This vehicle is such fun.

Maybe the Thar DI will be even better with its "back to basics" simplicity.

Congrats and enjoy the Thar.

nnn

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks