Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 20:13   #31
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

@Carrot Eater> Why this nick name? Congrats on your new Thar. A good write up thus far.

@Behram Dhabhar> Sir there are a few issues which I would like to address. First of all the THAR was designed for hard rides, hard offroading, for tough Drivers with an attitude to life like the Wild West Cowboys riding horses in hostile country side.

Why would a true blooded THAR driver want an A/C at all? For that matter this Jeep should be a NAKED JEEP even without doors!

Music system in the THAR? Just enjoy the ROAR of the engine blasting horses on rocky terrain and the desert winds blowing your hair. Take off the hood and forget all fancy accessories. Make a new Fashion Statement if you want to own and drive the THAR.

The name THAR I presume is derived form the famous desert.

This Jeep should be marketed as such....not for City comfort borne drivers, for them there are so many other options.

Guys get off the comfort zone and enjoy back aches and pains in the hard seats, forget passenger comforts, throw off the top and the doors, let the breeze blast throw your hair, ride this vehicle in sands, rocky mountain bad roads, Ladakh, Rajasthan.

Rock this Jeep when ever wherever you can !

If I had to service the THAR I will tell the service guys, wash and clean up everything, DONT TOUCH THE BODY. Let that look dirty !!

That is true THAR DRIVING and the THAR will smile at you!!

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 11th August 2011 at 20:15.
nanduchitnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 00:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The most unsafe way to park a 1.5Ton vehicle with NO hand brakes!!
Dear svsantosh - The Thar does come with hand brakes - but I can understand the point that you were making.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 12th August 2011, 00:45   #33
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Just quoting a single line but responding to your entire post. WOW! Where did that come from buddy?

No offense meant but you speak more like an offroader and lot of us offroaders (or the Southern section of tbhp) have actually had the city-bred expectations from the Thar!

I think at some level all Jeepers aspire to the romanticized notions of a Jeep very well compiled by you. But having been there and done that, a lot of us also have a strong reason to believe that materialistic comforts/practicality are surely possible and it is ok to expect them in a 7L+ vehicle.

Anyways this thread is about carrot_eater's Thar ownership and I'll stop here.

Cheers mate,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 06:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I did not teach you that, I hope!! The most unsafe way to park a 1.5Ton vehicle with NO hand brakes!! Even in panic situations, engaging any gear wont stop you from rolling!! Please think of some other ways to secure a vehicle...
Sorry Santosh not from you. I meant parking the vehicle in first gear but keeping the 4wd gear in neutral.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Sorry Santosh not from you. I meant parking the vehicle in first gear but keeping the 4wd gear in neutral.

What is the meaning of "parking the vehicle in first gear but keeping the 4wd gear in neutral ?" The moment you put in to the neutral between low and high it is neutral no matter first or reverse gear.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Carrot Eater> Why this nick name? Congrats on your new Thar. A good write up thus far.

@Behram Dhabhar> Sir there are a few issues which I would like to address. First of all the THAR was designed for hard rides, hard offroading, for tough Drivers with an attitude to life like the Wild West Cowboys riding horses in hostile country side.

Why would a true blooded THAR driver want an A/C at all? For that matter this Jeep should be a NAKED JEEP even without doors!

Music system in the THAR? Just enjoy the ROAR of the engine blasting horses on rocky terrain and the desert winds blowing your hair. Take off the hood and forget all fancy accessories. Make a new Fashion Statement if you want to own and drive the THAR.

This Jeep should be marketed as such....not for City comfort borne drivers, for them there are so many other options.

Guys get off the comfort zone and enjoy back aches and pains in the hard seats, forget passenger comforts, throw off the top and the doors, let the breeze blast throw your hair, ride this vehicle in sands, rocky mountain bad roads, Ladakh, Rajasthan.

If I had to service the THAR I will tell the service guys, wash and clean up everything, DONT TOUCH THE BODY. Let that look dirty !!

You will never get a job at Mahindra in the marketing dept.

Of course, we have inserted one mole in there already....
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 11:46   #37
BHPian

Sorry to hijack your thread carrot_eater - but wanted feedback on

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...g-System.html/

Worth buying and installing in the Thar? or are there better products out there? Does Autocop have a tracker as well?

Regards,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 12th August 2011 at 11:47.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely.

I have come across people who buy SUVs and then talk about how cool or hot it is to pair their cell phones with their on-board music system over bluetooth...

No offence meant to anyone, after all it's their money...

Guys, let a Jeep be a Jeep.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 13:56   #39
BHPian

@nanduchitnis and anandpadhye:

In an ideal world all your suggestions would be ok - but try driving on a road with a nice truck/bus exhaust on your face for 15 minutes and see how that feels!

Or, with your open jeep, when you stop at a red light and a score of hijras accost you for money (a group of them once even opened the passenger side and rear doors of my car as i had left it unlocked by mistake and started pulling my laptop out of my bag on the way to or back from work - but thats another story!).

Or, even better, try taking your wife out on a drive in the heat/cold and see if you get a divorce or not!

Those are the basic reasons for doors with locks/comfortable seats/AC etc on the Thar.

At least thats what i think!

I would also like to listen to some music in my vehicle while I am on the way to an OTR and when I get there, I can always open the jeep up and switch off the music and enjoy the outdoors.

Manas

Last edited by manasm : 12th August 2011 at 13:57.
Old 12th August 2011, 20:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
@nanduchitnis and anandpadhye:

In an ideal world all your suggestions would be ok - but try driving on a road with a nice truck/bus exhaust on your face for 15 minutes and see how that feels!

Or, with your open jeep, when you stop at a red light and a score of hijras accost you for money (a group of them once even opened the passenger side and rear doors of my car as i had left it unlocked by mistake and started pulling my laptop out of my bag on the way to or back from work - but thats another story!).

Or, even better, try taking your wife out on a drive in the heat/cold and see if you get a divorce or not!

Those are the basic reasons for doors with locks/comfortable seats/AC etc on the Thar.

At least thats what i think!

I would also like to listen to some music in my vehicle while I am on the way to an OTR and when I get there, I can always open the jeep up and switch off the music and enjoy the outdoors.

Manas
Thar as a specialized vehicle for recreational purpose only (say a third or a fourth vehicle in your stable) can be all that a "Jeeper" wants.

If you are living in an Estate, the Open Jeep concept makes a lot of sense. If you are in a City and use Thar occasionally for off roading, then security and comfort are of prime importance. You do not want to reach the office coated with smoke and dust all over, do you? Neither can you afford to loose your belonging and/or accessories when you parked at a road side, as there is no secure parking.

In a lot of American movies we see cars just parked with the key in, that may work there, try it here and you are in for a big surprise.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 09:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I once again state that by design, the canopy is equipped to handle the temperature difference in and out of the vehicle when you will have the AC in it. On daily drive - yes, I had always stated that Thar CRDe was a daily drive vehicle and now you have endorsed my comments in totality, so I am happy. Thank you very much.
Dear Behram - I am pretty happy with the canopy of the Thar - it does it job well even in heavy rain. And Thar is my daily drive and this is the first Jeep that I have owned or driven. I do about 50 kms a day including dropping my son to school and drive to work and back and I absolutely love driving it around. However, an AC will make life much much better.

Quote:
please retain the OE tires, they are suspension tuned for Thar CRDe. You can fit OE Scorpio alloys because offset should not change. Offset is +55 mm, both for Scorpio / Thar CRDe. Aftermarket stuff will not match this specification.
To be honest - after reading so many pages on Tbhp - I am still not convinced if I should've upgraded the tires to AT - I am not sure if it really adds any value, apart from looks for me as I use the Thar as a daily drive and not as a off road vehicle. And of course - the first money I will spend is towards AC - before I get the alloys and If I do, it will be OE Scorpio ones.

Quote:
Please call me / PM me, I'll guide you in totality. Engineering capability of brake upgradation is one of the reasons why Thar CRDe comes with 235/70R16 tires. Remember, the Thar CRDe is essentially the Scorpio / Bolero VLX in disguise, but you must know exactly what to do otherwise you will be in deep trouble. Got it? Good!
I do understand that the manufacturer would have reasons (economic or engineering) for putting in the 235/70/R16 tyres. Anyway - tires are not my concern anymore - except that sometimes I wonder why Thar has the same tyres like the Sumo.

Quote:
If you want to get still better performance (power / driveability / snap shot acceleration which will leave everything else in the dust), then I'll tell you what to do to make your vehicle a "super Thar CRDe".
I am not rally driver -well at least not yet . But then , Never say Never. I might start thinking of doing Raid De Himalayas in few years - no, not because I have bought the Thar, but with the interest that seems to have been building up. As of now- the stock performance of the Thar is great for me.

Quote:
Why this nick name? Congrats on your new Thar. A good write up thus far.
Why the nick name - well - it is just the name that was used for the quizzing team back in the college, that I was part of. No I did not create the name - just used it . By the way - you'll be surprised by the different meanings you'll get if you google it.

Quote:

Music system in the THAR? Just enjoy the ROAR of the engine blasting horses on rocky terrain and the desert winds blowing your hair. Take off the hood and forget all fancy accessories.
hmm, I appreciate your point of view - but I'll need the AC. As for the Roar of the engine - its more honking of the taxis and the soot of the bus - that I have to endure more than the desert winds. I would love to drive around in the desert/ Ladakh in the naked jeep that you mention but for now - I am driving in the city of Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread carrot_eater - but wanted feedback on

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...g-System.html/

Worth buying and installing in the Thar? or are there better products out there? Does Autocop have a tracker as well?
I wouldn't personally spend the money on that kind of that gadget - I am more of the lock and key guy -so, I've ordered a Club steering lock which I should have by end of August - you can check that on Amazon. And just by being cognizant of the fact that the Jeep is vulnerable - security wise - I just take that extra precaution of not leaving anything in the Jeep - it does not even have a music system to tempt anybody and for the vehicle itself - in Bangalore at least I just ensure that the parking guy remembers me by chatting up with him for a minute or two and he recognizes when I am back and 10 buck note does the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thar as a specialized vehicle for recreational purpose only (say a third or a fourth vehicle in your stable) can be all that a "Jeeper" wants.
Aroy - I personally don't think that the Thar can't be your only vehicle - with AC it can be your only vehicle - but it is all dependent on what kind of luxury your family demands. You see a lot of army folks driving around in gypsy and MM550 - yes women and children and they are shopping on the commercial street. Do they complain of the ride - I bet they do . The Thar is offers much better ride quality than the 550.

For a family of wife and kids - With the Thar you can put your kids bicycles and take them to a park to ride around . You can take your dog and your family to a park to play around. The front seat is very comfortable. Now if you love your dog too much and insist on him sitting on the front seat with you and wife & kids in the back - then my friend, you might just be better off with a Sedan - at least the back seats are comfortable in that.
carrot_eater is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 23:34   #42
BHPian

Looks like lots more Thars to be seen on Bangalore Roads. Saw a Black one and a Red one a couple of days back. Good to see the tribe increase.

Its got almost 1000 kms on the Odo on my Thar - Not bad for 20 days of driving.

I do ensure that I use the 4WD at least once a week . Now - with lots and lots of rains on Saturday - decided to take the Thar to a bit of trail driving. Took the Thar bit outside of the city and took a detour into a trail. It was a pretty long one - 6.5 Kms - Kept in 4 L for most of the time. I know it was not required. Could have easily done it in 2WD. But then the slush was quite a bit at few places. And again I am just experimenting it was just innocuous trail driving - nothing serious - at least while I am alone -don't want to be stuck with no help. But then this was fun too.
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img00161201108211203.jpg
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img00163201108211205.jpg
Old 8th September 2011, 21:19   #43
BHPian

Well - I got the steering lock - in fact I got a break lock as well - it was kind of an offer - take both for a cheaper price.

I got the basic club lock - To me it seems very sturdy. You could argue why get two of them when a simple J hook - steering to clutch/break lock - may be much cheaper. I like the steering lock - easy to use. I choose this over expensive electronic equipment. I guess I will use only the steering lock more often then the brake lock.

Now - the AC - still waiting
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img00180201109081715.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img00181201109081716.jpg  

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-img00182201109081716.jpg  

Old 9th September 2011, 12:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

I cannot figure out how the steering lock works. Could you please have a picture which shows how it locks the steering.
Old 9th September 2011, 22:33   #45
BHPian

Aroy - The steering lock kind of makes the steering - almost impossible to use because of the extended rod that you see in the picture. You can't rotate the steering as that rod will hit/get obstructed by the other parts in the car.

I agree - though called a steering lock - it technically does not 'lock' the steering.

Well, not that this is fool proof - it can be broken and has its pros and cons. Just makes it that much more difficult to drive away your car.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 9th September 2011 at 22:38. Reason: additional info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks