Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:45   #106
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!

Quick update : This past Saturday, my Thar turned 4. Yes its been 4 years of driving it - almost every single day. 50K on the odo and still great <touch wood>. Throughly happy with the decision taken 4 years back.

The new Thar has a few good things going for it. Hopefully that will get some more people to buy the Thar.
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 14:24   #107
BHPian

My Thar Turns 5 today. Wow..Still Lovin' it!.

Been trying to get the SA bar - but its not available easily. I haven't felt the need to add anything until now - apart from the AC. Doing great - 65K on the Odo.
carrot_eater is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 22:08   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
My Thar Turns 5 today. Wow..Still Lovin' it!.

Been trying to get the SA bar - but its not available easily. I haven't felt the need to add anything until now - apart from the AC. Doing great - 65K on the Odo.
Buddy,

Hats off to your passion ! It shows your real love about Thar. Everytime I see your thread I miss my Thar.

Wish you many more years and kms with the beast.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 22:58   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Buddy,
Hats off to your passion ! It shows your real love about Thar. Everytime I see your thread I miss my Thar.
Thanks Vishal - You wouldn't belive, Inspite of driving the Thar almost every day, once in a while, I borrow my wife's i10 and if that day I see a Thar on the road, I miss driving mine

I hope Mahindra guys make the Thar more comfortable and safe [Factory fitted Hard top option, Front facing rear seats, ABS/ Air bags] so more people can buy and drive it for longer periods.

I have done fair bit of long drives in the Thar : Bangalore - Thekkady, Bangalore - Goa (couple of times), Bangalore - Munnar, coorg, Wayanad . All have been fun drives keeping up with Civic and Altis, that other friends who accompanied were driving - was not difficult at all.

Yeah the comfort factor is of course not the same as the Sedans or nowhere near it.

Maybe its time I write a long term ownership thread.

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-jeep.png
Old 6th August 2016, 22:09   #110
BHPian

Mahindra Thar - Bringing it home - Finally! EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_7162.jpg

On the way to Thekkady.

Overall on long drives - the good part is, the Thar is perfectly stable vehicle, feels grounded on high speeds.
Two things that bother
1. At higher speeds the canopy makes quite a bit of sound and you really have to turn up the volume on your music to hear well. I blew up a speaker by doing this.
2. No safety features - no airbags - so you keep the speed within control, though you could go up to almost 140 kmph. I keep it around 100 max.

I had ordered the SA roll over bar - but after waiting for 8 weeks, I took my advance back.

Thinking of adding an amplifier to the music system. Anyone knows if that will help in preventing blown up speakers?
Old 7th August 2016, 10:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1538816

Thinking of adding an amplifier to the music system. Anyone knows if that will help in preventing blown up speakers?
Your speakers blew due to excess power from the current system, so getting a more powerful amp will blow them faster. What you need is speakers that can handle more power. You can also consult speaker sellers on putting a fuse in series to prevent speaker damage.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 10:35   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Your speakers blew due to excess power from the current system, so getting a more powerful amp will blow them faster. What you need is speakers that can handle more power. You can also consult speaker sellers on putting a fuse in series to prevent speaker damage.
Thanks Aroy - I will get the fuse added.
Old 8th August 2016, 17:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ranjit Singhji - I am waiting to see 1 lakh kms coming up in your vehicle's odometer one day! Maximum speed was 164 kmph (in unladen condition on the high speed track), you have gone only upto 140 kmph but I guess it's more than enough, don't take chances, our roads are full of morons, so not safe! The canopy is not allowed to flap, even at 65000 kms! Hold down the side strips and tighten the fasteners, it will help.

My answer to your PM on brakes is that, the phenomenon you mention is called "morning sickness"! During the rainy season, as the relative humidity is very high, moisture gets absorbed in the liners which temporarily alters the liner characteristics and causes this behaviour. A little bit of heat generated during just a couple of applications removes this moisture and the brakes apply properly. I am not trying to justify the existence of morning sickness in your car (or any car for that matter). It can be prevented by design, but then you get into downsides on other brake parameters, particularly noise and life!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 16:17   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ranjit SinghjiThe canopy is not allowed to flap, even at 65000 kms! Hold down the side strips and tighten the fasteners, it will help.

My answer to your PM on brakes is that, the phenomenon you mention is called "morning sickness"! During the rainy season, as the relative humidity is very high, moisture gets absorbed in the liners which temporarily alters the liner characteristics and causes this behaviour. A little bit of heat generated during just a couple of applications removes this moisture and the brakes apply properly. I am not trying to justify the existence of morning sickness in your car (or any car for that matter). It can be prevented by design, but then you get into downsides on other brake parameters, particularly noise and life!
Thanks a lot for the reply - I am thinking of buying a new canopy, I realized why the canopy is leaking at one place. Last Year during Diwali - a rocket (fire cracker type not the Agni ) had fallen on the top - burning in a small hole, which is culprit for the leak.

So all you Thar owners - Keep your Thar inside during Diwali.

On the "Morning Sickness" I have experienced it a few times and it causes quite a bit of trouble , I got my breaks cleaned up - all the Liners are fine so I believe I need to live with this till the Monsoons are over

Thanks again
Old 10th August 2016, 16:49   #115
BHPian

Nice to see you happy with your Thar and I got so heavy throat-ed seeing late Behram sir's reply just above yours.

Regarding the SA roll over bars, did you try placing an order at dealerships in another (part of the) city?
Divya Sharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 17:16   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Regarding the SA roll over bars, did you try placing an order at dealerships in another (part of the) city?
Thanks - Will try to get one from another dealer - its the same the order gets put to Mahindra and its a waiting game.

Meanwhile if anyone on the Forum wants to sell their Thar's Soft Top Canopy [Square Back] not the latest slant ones - I see a lot of people getting hard tops so I am sure there are soft tops to spare. I am willing buyer, avoiding the hassle of ordering it and waiting for months for it to come.

Thank you

Last edited by carrot_eater : 10th August 2016 at 17:18. Reason: quote wasn't coming properly
Old 11th August 2016, 14:09   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply - I am thinking of buying a new canopy, I realized why the canopy is leaking at one place. Last Year during Diwali - a rocket (fire cracker type not the Agni ) had fallen on the top - burning in a small hole, which is culprit for the leak.
I did Not know about Dhabhar Saab when I had typed thanking him for his response and making a joke on the rocket.

Really Really Sad ! Will Always be grateful for all the help extended.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:13   #118
BHPian

Its good when i read reliability reports on thar after say 4-5 years. Because mine is still a month to click 1 ( all good though). A friend of mine recently had major issues with a 5 year old Thar Crde and sometimes I used to wonder. hearing a good standing report from you kinds of alleviates that.
Congratulations on your ownership. Regarding your canopy damage why dont you get it sealed in a hood shop?
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 16:08   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Its good when i read reliability reports on thar after say 4-5 years. Because mine is still a month to click 1 ( all good though). A friend of mine recently had major issues with a 5 year old Thar Crde and sometimes I used to wonder. hearing a good standing report from you kinds of alleviates that.
Congratulations on your ownership. Regarding your canopy damage why dont you get it sealed in a hood shop?
Well, I have used my Thar as a daily drive vehicle and for longer drives, never really put it through an Off Road event as yet. It is as good as it was the first month I bought - No issues (touch wood).

About the canopy, been lazy mostly as the issue is only in Monsoon and on the main Thar thread, few gentlemen have guided me to either good hood makers or other skilled guys in Bangalore to help me get it fixed.
Old 17th October 2016, 16:14   #120
BHPian

I realized that the last post by Dhabhar Saab seems incomplete without the question which was on PM.

I am putting the question that I had posed to him as well so that it at least its a complete response by the great man.
===
Thar : Sudden braking in the mornings
Dear Dhabhar Saab.

Recently I am noticing that every morning when I take my Thar out and the first few times I press the brakes - the Front wheels seem to jam up and the braking is also very sudden though I have used a very light foot on the brakes.

After a few time and few 100 mts, the brakes become normal again.
The same thing repeats each morning.

Could you please help me understand what could be causing this.

Thank you
=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
[b]

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
carrot_eater is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks