Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 18:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Nitin,
Congrats on your Thar and very warm welcome to Team-BHP.
Each new purchase of Thar is only adding to my passion and dragging me to own it, irrespective of all the niggles faced by many owners.
I feel any Indian origin OEM product is not niggle free. Hope this changes in the near future.
Pls post some interior pics of the rear seat modification after getting it done. I am looking forward for the same. Front facing back seat.
Don't like the benches at all.
Thanks Maverick79. Yes will definitely post pics once done. Currently looking for some good ideas and will scout around a bit once the rains in Mumbai cease. Back benches are really a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Firstly, welcome to T-BHP!

Congratulations on getting the Thar, looks great in the rocky beige, must be its hottest selling color. The road presence of a Jeep is unmatched! Enjoy the Thar to the fullest. Here's wishing you a trouble free ownership (hope the niggles are corrected soon).

About the niggles, some of them are pretty serious! Please get them checked with the ASC asap.
Yes, no doubt serious, especially the handbrake one. I have sent them a very strong mail regarding this and they have reverted offering to look into it at once.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2011 at 20:45. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 19th August 2011, 22:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.

Welcome Nitin to TBHP and congrats on your acquisition. I feel the THAR is awesome vehicle and with a few tweaks, it can be made into a comfortable daily ride.

Will keep track of your thread and the changes that you do with it.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2011, 07:40   #18
nnn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Shot off a mail to Mahindra on noticing this.
Nitin,

Whom in Mahindra did you write to.

I also have small issues I need attended

Thanks in advance

nnn
Old 20th August 2011, 09:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Is not 10k too long a run in period before you go off road? That is like hitching a thoroughbred with tonga ;-)

Looking forward to off road experiences.
Old 20th August 2011, 11:25   #20
BHPian

Nitin,

Picked up my Thar yesterday - and have the same handbrake issue - have spoken to the dealer and he has asked me to bring the Thar in today and they will fix it.

I have auto door locks and windows (AutoCop) installed in my Thar by the way.

With my one and a half days of driving it around - have already had 5 people stop me and ask me how much and what mileage!

Couple of good points with the Thar
  • so much power on tap....
  • have had to change my driving style (for the better according to my wife) - since I cant corner as fast as I am used to with the Santro and City. She is much happier and more comfortable now
  • I also don't feel the need to drive as fast - since I want people to see me....
  • My daughter loves it...she wants to sit in the back and run up and down the rear when the Thar is stopped/parked
Some bad things
  • really need the hard top and AC - after an evening drive yesterday, my 2 year old daughter has a cough with all the fumes in her face!
  • rattles everywhere....but am locating each one and tightening them myself slowly!
  • parked in front of the temple with the front left wheel on the curb and the handbrake wouldn't hold! Freaked out my wife...and I had to sit in the Thar with the brake pressed down so the pujari could do his thing!
But overall all I can say is...it really brings a smile to my face when I am driving it and even when I look at it parked!

Last edited by manasm : 20th August 2011 at 11:26.
manasm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Nitin,

Picked up my Thar yesterday -

But overall all I can say is...it really brings a smile to my face when I am driving it and even when I look at it parked!
Congrats Manasm..
As I said, my craving for Thar is increasing day by day, reading the expeineces of people like you.
By the way, how much was the OTR in your area?

Also request you to pls let me know the total investment for autocops - Power windows and central locking. I too was looking for this, as an accessory.
Any news on the OEM fitted A/C availability, from the dealer, pls let us know.
Old 20th August 2011, 17:45   #22
BHPian

Here is what I got:
  1. power door locks - Autocop (from dealer)
  2. power windows - RD (from dealer)
  3. Roll cage
  4. Front insect mesh
  5. front and rear light guards
Cost me 7.63 lakhs all told...prices have gone up from Aug 1st and so had road tax in Karnataka - but as my booking was done before and I was very nice to the sales guys, the let me have it at the old rate.

Its big, bouncy and hellofalotoffun!

I already got envious looks as I drove past a line of sedans on bad roads where they were driving at 2 or 3 Kmh in first gear and me in 3rd doing about 25 or 30 Kmh.

And by the way....I am in love the 2nd and 3rd gear! And where I would change to 5th in my Santro and City, the 4th in the Thar keeps going on and on and doesn't end! Just lovely! You can feel the engine begging you to step on the gas more!

Swamy, Vijay - we need to do a Thar road trip! Getting my rear seats done next week and hopefully the hard top by the 30th.

Would like to say a big thank you to both you guys and of course Spikey - all the time you guys took to talk to me and answer my stupid questions, send me to your contacts and give me advice/pointers for dealing with the dealer and the Thar as well! Made my buying and (so far) ownership experience great!

Cheers,
Manas
Old 20th August 2011, 18:26   #23
BHPian

congrats on your new buy. Yes there are certain quality niggles but once on road everything is forgotten and you end up just enjoying the drive and not to mention all the attention you get.

I wish mahindra come up with AC solution fast. i felt its a must , ant the end of long drive with ac its less tiring. Congrats again.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

It pains me no end that a "Lifestyle Vehicle" has a problematic hand brake even when new ! I can only wish & pray that Anand Mahindra chances upon the T-Bhp feedback & does something constructive & conclusive about it !!
Old 21st August 2011, 01:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Cost me 7.63 lakhs all told...prices have gone up from Aug 1st and so had road tax in Karnataka
Cheers,
Manas
Congrats on the new purchase . Hike in road tax? This is absurd. It is already the highest in the country. Are you sure it is hike in road tax and not the hike by manufacturer itself.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Picked up my Thar yesterday
Congratulations Manasm - on your Thar. Pics please.

Nitin - Congratulations.

Yes the hand brake is bit of an issue -but then when you pull it hard it works for my Thar.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2011, 15:32   #27
BHPian

Ricky - agree with you that it is ridiculous that the hand brake does not work...but then there are a number of small problems (niggles) with the vehicle - I have to say, the guys at the dealership have been great and have indulged me in some things and I have indulged them in some...they have been a pleasure to work with in sorting things out for me right from booking till delivery. They listen to my complaints and work immediately to get them fixed - pre-delivery they even sent someone to drive me to JC road to the bank for the loan documentation since I was not familiar with the directions and parking there. The guy picked me up from my office, took me there, dropped me back and went right back to get the cheque from the bank so that I could get delivery the next day. In bad traffic and rain, it was definitely above and beyond the call...
post-delivery they sent a mechanic and electrician to my office to fix my power windows and locks as well as the handbrake.
I have not had any help from Mahindra apart from two people who we all know here in the forum and even their hands are tied to a large extent!

I would recommend dealing with these guys for anyone in Bangalore interested in Mahindra vehicles and I think I would have recommended not buying a Thar if not for the guys at the dealership understanding my problems with the vehicle and working with me to fix them!

bkishore
- I looked up the details on the price list - Mahindra has increased their price, but the road tax/registration has also gone up! As far as Mahindra's increase, I did a quick costing and 70% of their increase is justified (am in the manufacturing business and have some idea of raw material prices for the past 10 years)...but don't know why the road tax and registration has gone up since the roads here are worse than ever especially after the rain. Maybe the BJP needs money to fund defending BSY's cases?

carrot_eater - thought no one would want to see more pics of the Thar so didn't post any. Will take some pics and post them today/tomorrow! Sadly, they will be urban pics and not with a nice outdoorsy backdrop. Should I start my own thread or just hi-jack one of yours?

Regards,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 21st August 2011 at 15:36.
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 16:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed nice to know that the dealer at your end is helpful & more. Full marks to him on that. My point is why at all should a vehicle leave the factory with the defect ?? The safety of many may be on the line. First we see rust on the painted body, then we see a hand brake that does not work....I can say this - had this happened in a European country or the US, the company would have been in serious trouble.

It is partly us tolerant lot. Chalo never mind I can have that fixed attitude. Afterall you or anyone else buying a new vehicle is paying the full price - why does he not demand & get fully perfect product ?

I do not wish to sound like a preacher,, but then cannot tolerate such laid back attitudes of manufacturers / service providers

Cheers & enjoy you new aquisition

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 21st August 2011 at 16:02.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 23:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
carrot_eater - thought no one would want to see more pics of the Thar so didn't post any. Will take some pics and post them today/tomorrow! Sadly, they will be urban pics and not with a nice outdoorsy backdrop. Should I start my own thread or just hi-jack one of yours?
well - I was curious to know the color you choose and also the pics with the power window fitting. How does it fit in that thin door. And it will be always good to read your experiences with the Thar. You are welcome to join in my thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
well - I was curious to know the color you choose and also the pics with the power window fitting. How does it fit in that thin door. And it will be always good to read your experiences with the Thar. You are welcome to join in my thread
carrot_eater - will post pics this afternoon/evening - have not taken pics of the power windows so will do that once I get to work! Will keep you in suspense till then! Hehehehe!

Most Viewed