Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 18:47   #61

Re: Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.

Nice post Nitin, looking to interact often now that we have located each other.
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:03   #62

great that I discovered this thread! I recently bought a Thar and was thinking of how to fit Innova's last row seats on my Thar. I must admit, fantastic job done by you guys, Nitin_80 and the team. I will soon get in touch whence I start job on my Thar. Great work!
Old 27th February 2012, 18:46   #63
BHPian

Hi,

Posting here since this is an ownership thread. Please let me know if we need a new thread for this.

Has anyone felt the Thar's braking to be inadequate / needs better braking? I got my Thar last week and took it for a drive on ECR over the weekend. One of the things that I felt was that the brakes were soft and the braking distance is a little longer that my current SWIFT. Is it what others too observe? Had anyone replaced the booster with a bigger one? In one of the threads, BD sir has mentioned a complete overhaul including bigger discs done on V521, but as a first step has someone just added bigger booster / made some other changes for better braking ??

thanks
Siva
Old 27th February 2012, 21:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Hi,

Posting here since this is an ownership thread. Please let me know if we need a new thread for this.

Has anyone felt the Thar's braking to be inadequate / needs better braking? I got my Thar last week and took it for a drive on ECR over the weekend. One of the things that I felt was that the brakes were soft and the braking distance iIs a little longer that my current SWIFT. Is it what others too observe? Had anyone replaced the booster with a bigger one? In one of the threads, BD sir has mentioned a complete overhaul including bigger discs done on V521, but as a first step has someone just added bigger booster / made some other changes for better braking ??

thanks
Siva
Braking is definitely inadequate. Added to that it does not have ABS. So pls watch your speed until the upgrade is done. It is very easy to get tempted with THAR especially in 5 th gear and you are in turbo RPMs.

BD sir is the best person to advice on the upgrade. I am yet to do mine.
Old 11th March 2012, 18:31   #65
BHPian

Hi Nitin,
Great post dude.... I just loved reading it. Great pics too, Just what I was looking forward for. The color is good and looks lovely with the A/T.

Two things that I did not like: 1) removal of the foot steps from the side - makes the exhaust visible - didn't like it that much.
2) The stickering on the front bumper. May be you should try to remove it.

IMHO, Ithink its just sufficient if you put the number on the bumper itself, don't put it on the spear tyre.

I am planning for a Red Thar in the coming months. Plan to buy one for my dad. He currently is owning a MM540 more than 16 yrs old. We just love it... but lack of Power stearing is the reason why we decided on selling. As soon as we get rid of it... we plan to book the new one.

I am already making a list of things that must be changed once we buy and I was looking for a best alternative for the bench seats. Your installation has been impressive. I plan to do the same installation as yours.

It would be of great help if you could let me know the measurements for drilling the holes and also the dimensions of the brackets.
Also, is there enough space to custom build some lockable glove boxes at the rear beneath the rear seats? Have you thought of making a center arm rest/ storage? I saw one of the threads where they have done it.

I am looking forward for your seat cover pictures. If you still haven't done, try to add additional cushioning so that there are no gaps between the two seats (gaps are ok for the backrest, but would look great if you fill in the seating area gap).

Did you enquire if you can fit the front windshield as the That DI? Believe me, its one of the best things that I enjoy in our 540. Even if it is scorching hot summer, with the windshield opened, you will not need an A/C. Of course, I hardly have used our jeep in Bangalore - so in cities pollution is going to be an issue. I am from Coorg, weather is still a blessing for us.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
Hi Nitin,
Great post dude.... I just loved reading it. Great pics too, Just what I was looking forward for. The color is good and looks lovely with the A/T.

Two things that I did not like: 1) removal of the foot steps from the side - makes the exhaust visible - didn't like it that much.
2) The stickering on the front bumper. May be you should try to remove it.

IMHO, Ithink its just sufficient if you put the number on the bumper itself, don't put it on the spear tyre.

I am planning for a Red Thar in the coming months. Plan to buy one for my dad. He currently is owning a MM540 more than 16 yrs old. We just love it... but lack of Power stearing is the reason why we decided on selling. As soon as we get rid of it... we plan to book the new one.

I am already making a list of things that must be changed once we buy and I was looking for a best alternative for the bench seats. Your installation has been impressive. I plan to do the same installation as yours.

It would be of great help if you could let me know the measurements for drilling the holes and also the dimensions of the brackets.
Also, is there enough space to custom build some lockable glove boxes at the rear beneath the rear seats? Have you thought of making a center arm rest/ storage? I saw one of the threads where they have done it.

I am looking forward for your seat cover pictures. If you still haven't done, try to add additional cushioning so that there are no gaps between the two seats (gaps are ok for the backrest, but would look great if you fill in the seating area gap).

Did you enquire if you can fit the front windshield as the That DI? Believe me, its one of the best things that I enjoy in our 540. Even if it is scorching hot summer, with the windshield opened, you will not need an A/C. Of course, I hardly have used our jeep in Bangalore - so in cities pollution is going to be an issue. I am from Coorg, weather is still a blessing for us.
Thanks @kryogesh,
Yes, the catalytic converter is definitely an eyesore as well as a hindrance when it comes to tackling high obstacles/ rocks while offroading, but haven't decided anything about it yet. I heard some folks in bangalore have got rid of it. I have just got rocksliders installed so it sort of makes up for the missing side steps.

About the rear number plate, it is no more on the spare tyre but directly on the rear frame, as you can see in some of the pics on page 4.

The seat covers are still pending as I was a bit busy for the last few weeks.

Haven't found out about the foldable windshield yet but yes it does provide a lot of respite from the heat. We used to do it in the cj340.

There is ample space to fit a lockable box beneath the seats though I personally would need that space completely vacant for my dogs to be able to sit behind. I was thinking of getting something fabricated on the wheel arches - a small lockable box to keep important things if the vehicle is left unattended. Still many things to do on the jeep, as and when I get time and money. Will keep you posted on that.

Will try to post detailed pics and measurements of the brackets.

Congrats on your plan to purchase the thar, I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Regards,
Nitin
nitin_80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 18:00   #67
BHPian

Got the rock sliders fitted last week, ordered from Swastik Viji in Bangalore...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-dsc03154.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-dsc03155.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-dsc03156.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-dsc03157.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-dsc03158.jpg  

nitin_80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 20:41   #68
Senior - BHPian

Nitin,

They look nice and well finished. Good color of the Thar as well.

Happy motoring!
Old 5th June 2012, 00:56   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Got the rock sliders fitted last week, ordered from Swastik Viji in Bangalore...
Can you please give contact details of Swastik Viji?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Bopanna
Old 5th June 2012, 01:11   #70
BHPian

The man and the machine. The Thar looks/drives killer now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Crde - home at last.-img_4586.jpg  

davids4x4mm550 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 10:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Can you please give contact details of Swastik Viji?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Bopanna
Here you go Bopanna..
His team-bhp handle is SwastikViji
You could PM him and he shall reply to you.
I shall also PM you his contact number.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Changed the side facing benches to forward facing last row innova seats. The seats fold comfortably to either side making it easy and spacious for me to keep luggage/ take the dogs out etc. Attaching some pics.

Sitting at the back in few of the snaps are the ever helpful David (davidsmm550) and Sanjay (4*4Army).
How tall are the ppl sitting at the back in the pics. (I read that you all were 5'11" +)

how much did these cost and how much effort was needed ?

with keeping the seats in a slightly reclined position , how much of luggage can be put in the back? two medium strolley bags?

Thanks

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 3rd October 2012 at 13:04.
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
How tall are the ppl sitting at the back in the pics. (I read that you all were 5'11" +)

how much did these cost and how much effort was needed ?

with keeping the seats in a slightly reclined position , how much of luggage can be put in the back? two medium strolley bags?

Thanks
Hi, The guys are just under 6 feet.
The cost and effort details I have mentioned in this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2618002

Regards,
Nitin
Old 9th October 2012, 11:02   #74

Hi Nitin have read your thread in detail,the seats look really nice and comfortable. I'v bought a new Black Thar a month back and plan to install the same Innova seats,but had a few questions.
1. Is it possible to post the exact dimensions of the seats.
2.The exact measurement where the holes have been drilled(distance from inside/out/from front of the wheel arch)will just make my life easier
3.The material n size of brackets used.
4.What is it that you have used as a hook to keep the seats folded up.
5.If at all possible the name address of the person you got the seats from. You can PM me if you prefer.
6.Latest pics incase you've got the seat covers changed and if you have added some extra cushioning to reduce the space in between seats.
7.I suppose the seats hold the backrest themselves as one of the secondhand seat dealer here in Chandigarh was saying they probably don't.
8.Did you consider any other seats like the Tavera or Scorpio. I'm told they fit in too,don't kno if they fold though as I do need the seats to fold like the ones you've fixed or fold forward like the safari's.
9.Could I also know the appx legroom and headroom above the tallest Gentleman I beleive David as I myself am 6'1" n all in the family are pretty tall too.
Will highly appreciate a reply ASAP.

Cheers,

Karan
Old 10th October 2012, 09:24   #75
BHPian

@niting_80 : have you modded the shotgun seat to go up and forward for easy ingress and egress of rear passengers or do they still have to use the rear hatch ?

Most Viewed