Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 19:48   #31
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Am looking for a decent head unit for my Thar - dont want to spend a lot of money - but don't want to skimp either.

Ideally, what I am looking for is a head unit with:
  1. i-pod compatibility and control
  2. USB
  3. AUX input in front
  4. Bluetooth for my phone (a nice to have but not essential)
Any suggestions - I spoke to a guy at Torque in Indirangar and he told me only JVC comes with the blue tooth - how are JVC head units? Never heard anything (good or bad) about them. I have a pioneer in my Santro and works really well.

Also would like some suggestions on the speakers - looking for 6x9s at the rear and tweeters and mids in the front. Any other suggestions on speaker placement or type would be great. Am not looking to install a sub (right now at least).

Total budget for the install would be about 20,000 or maybe a bit more.

Swamy - this unending wait for the AC kit from Mahindra is really getting on my nerves - so planning to do the AC outside for 25,000 or whatever it costs and the balance 30,000 I have kept with the dealership will be spend on the audio system.

Also, would be grateful if people could recommend a good and honest place to get the work done in Bangalore.

Thanks,
Manas

Last edited by manasm : 28th August 2011 at 19:50.
Old 30th August 2011, 13:27   #32
BHPian

manas - first of all congrats for the Thar. I have been following your thread on the HT design.

Did you get the HT installed on your Thar yet - pls post some pics.
Old 2nd September 2011, 22:55   #33
BHPian

Hi,
Sharing some of my observations
1. My canopy leaked during heavy bout of rain on coorg to blore route. It had withstood blore rains earlier. The leak was from the sew strip (velcro holders on top). The leak is more due to intense rain and drops leaking from sewed points. Dealer changed the canopy, but he has fitted it incorrectly. Suggest tapes/transparent sealant application, to prevent drops from forming.

2. Thar DI has large rubber mats, suits better. Not sure astronomer turf, metal and heat combo.

3. I had major issue of fuel gauge malfunction - check this, is your likely problem. dealer mentioned to me that they had dismantled and checked the tank and all ok. Issue persisted, dealer refused to acknowledge the problem, till i drove in a pointing to odometer (reset since filling diesel) indicated the tank should be halfway. After a full day mentioned the float and wiring harness, both malfunctioned. Earlier i got stranded on 40kms from shimoga. Thankfully mobile zone so managed to call mahindra helpline. On a Sunday mahindra mechanic called from coorg! He guided to pump pressing in engine that fuelled the engine till I hit a petrol bunk.
vnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 12:09   #34
BHPian

Sorry for the long absence and lack of updates - real life got me busy!

The top has finally gone to paint. Will be complete this evening. Next is to re-install the top on the Thar with the beading. Windows will be placed once the top is fitted back on.

The only problem in the top is the dampers for the rear door - they are really strong and if you are not careful, will just lift you off your feet when you open the door. We are looking at different dampers for the next pieces (or maybe just one).

Pre-paint tests confirm that there are no leaks and no squeaks - only the old ones from the dash and the bonnet hinges. Am extremely chuffed!

Tomorrow morning the interior upholstery work starts and planned for completion by Thursday evening.

Hopefully I will be able to fit in some time for a quick audio system install by Saturday evening.

I drive to Chennai on Sunday and will be back in Bangalore Tuesday.

Some changes from my top will be there for the next pieces - both functional and cosmetic - including the change in dampers and position.

Photos once the interior is complete...

Regards,
Manas
Old 19th September 2011, 12:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Am looking for a decent head unit for my Thar - dont want to spend a lot of money - but don't want to skimp either.

Ideally, what I am looking for is a head unit with:
  1. i-pod compatibility and control
  2. USB
  3. AUX input in front
  4. Bluetooth for my phone (a nice to have but not essential)
Any suggestions - I spoke to a guy at Torque in Indirangar and he told me only JVC comes with the blue tooth - how are JVC head units? Never heard anything (good or bad) about them. I have a pioneer in my Santro and works really well.

Also would like some suggestions on the speakers - looking for 6x9s at the rear and tweeters and mids in the front. Any other suggestions on speaker placement or type would be great. Am not looking to install a sub (right now at least).

Total budget for the install would be about 20,000 or maybe a bit more.

Swamy - this unending wait for the AC kit from Mahindra is really getting on my nerves - so planning to do the AC outside for 25,000 or whatever it costs and the balance 30,000 I have kept with the dealership will be spend on the audio system.

Also, would be grateful if people could recommend a good and honest place to get the work done in Bangalore.

Thanks,
Manas

Kenwood also has Bluetooth enabled HUs.

KDC-U546BT

KDC-U7046BT

Both have all the features you have listed above.

cheers!
Old 19th September 2011, 14:43   #36
BHPian

Was looking at my Thar from the front end earlier this morning and it definitely dips down. Very little clearance for the front wheels and coming off of speed breakers, it wheel sometimes hits the wheel well. Anyone else notice this?

There is a guy in Indirangar called Ozzone who does mods of vehicle - he had a really nice Gypsy SPoA'd and with some other accessories. He took a look at the Thar and said that it has a old school torsion bar (in his words "tsk! like an old amby") and that the dipping could be easily fixed by adjusting that. He also claimed it would improve ride quality.

Any expert advice on this?
Old 19th September 2011, 14:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was looking at my Thar from the front end earlier this morning and it definitely dips down. Very little clearance for the front wheels and coming off of speed breakers, it wheel sometimes hits the wheel well. Anyone else notice this?

There is a guy in Indirangar called Ozzone who does mods of vehicle - he had a really nice Gypsy SPoA'd and with some other accessories. He took a look at the Thar and said that it has a old school torsion bar (in his words "tsk! like an old amby") and that the dipping could be easily fixed by adjusting that. He also claimed it would improve ride quality.

Any expert advice on this?
Dear Manasm - there is no "old school" or "new school" about a torsion bar. Please tell the "technician" to "see" the Qualis / Safari and quite a few other modern vehicles. There is an adjuster bolt at the center of the chassis. By turning this bolt, you can vary the initial tension and thus the height. Please go by the specification released by M&M for Thar. If you overload the torsion bar, it will not give you the desired result.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 15:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There is an adjuster bolt at the center of the chassis. By turning this bolt, you can vary the initial tension and thus the height. Please go by the specification released by M&M for Thar. If you overload the torsion bar, it will not give you the desired result.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks - anyone know what the correct spec is for the Thar - as released by M&M? Will get the "technician" to set it right for me!

Regards,
Manas
Old 19th September 2011, 18:18   #39
AVR
BHPian

Looking forward to the final product soon!

Quote:
The only problem in the top is the dampers for the rear door - they are really strong and if you are not careful, will just lift you off your feet when you open the door. We are looking at different dampers for the next pieces (or maybe just one).
I just tried visualizing what you wrote here and it just sounds hilarious if it were to happen

The Torsion bar setup is fairly easy to tweak. Have it on my 4wd Safari and as long as you tweak the initial tension within reasonable limits things should be fine.
Old 19th September 2011, 18:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please go by the specification released by M&M for Thar. If you overload the torsion bar, it will not give you the desired result.
How many turns sir? Or can you tell us the settings for soft, medium and hard settings - an SOP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The Torsion bar setup is fairly easy to tweak. Have it on my 4wd Safari and as long as you tweak the initial tension within reasonable limits things should be fine.
Even I noticed the setup in the THARs that came to TPC2011. And I want to know the right way to do it.
Old 29th September 2011, 11:47   #41
BHPian

After some testing in Hosur (a little bit of offroading - as much as can be done with the stock HT tyres) and a road trip (max speed 110kmph) - I can finally say there are no squeaks or rattles with the top.

It fits fine with no leaks of air or water and cuts down outside noise quite a bit.

I am a happy camper.

Spike - was good to meet again in Chennai and I would like to thank you for the good feedback - will be making the changes/corrections as suggested by you to make it a better product.

External pics attached. Internal pics once the vehicle is cleaned after the trip - my daughter has managed to drop food and drink all over the inside...

Cheers,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0430.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0431.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0432.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0434.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0435.jpg  

Attached Images

manasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 12:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is an awesome looking Thar. Got the AC fitted or waiting for M&M to get its act together?
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 12:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This is an awesome looking Thar. Got the AC fitted or waiting for M&M to get its act together?

Thanks - got the AC fitted outside of M&M - as far as I know, they still have not got their act together.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - got the AC fitted outside of M&M - as far as I know, they still have not got their act together.

Thats a very great looking hard top you've made. Could you please give the details of the cost of AC fitment and any changes that may have been done to fit it. Are there any overheating issues after the AC installation?
Eagerly waiting for the interior photos.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Thats a very great looking hard top you've made. Could you please give the details of the cost of AC fitment and any changes that may have been done to fit it. Are there any overheating issues after the AC installation?
Eagerly waiting for the interior photos.
Nitin - AC cost me 25000. Did not do it through Mahindra. Spike checked it out in Chennai and said the guys had done a good job. Have not had any heating issues at all. BlackRaven has the same install as I do and he has not had a problem as well.

I was not there during the install as I had to be at work...so cant say what all was done for the install - but the good thing is that the AC and heater both work.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed