Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 15:58   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Only sitting back and taking pot shots at other people who pick up the mantle of responsibility, create and produce is also "doing something" and is another kind of reality. It's just not a reality a lot of us want for ourselves.
Dear Ken - I have not understood your above statement at all. As you have quoted my comment, I request you to please clarify.

I hope you have read my answer to your PM.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th November 2011, 16:42   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear gthang - your above comment "wish you had aimed higher as well", if I had done that, it would have remained my "wish" forever. We would have had a string of "tie-wearing / corporate-looking" MBAs flaunting power point presentations all over the place. Forget it, it does not work that way!

Today, it is selling off showroom floors! This is reality.
Today, real people are driving it on real roads! This is reality.
Today, people are telling me that in spite of everything, they are enjoying it! This is reality.
Today, people are connecting with me and have become my Brand Ambassadors of the product! This is reality.
That's what matters, my dear Sir! For something to actually happen, somebody's got to do something!

For Manas's hard top, I salute him, because he is the only person who has done for the hard top what I did for the vehicle. He has actually done something. It takes guts. I know that his hard top will sell, and sell in good volumes. I wish him all the very best.

Sorry for the outburst, but I had to say it. I hope this post does not get deleted, if it does, fair enough.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Dear Ken - I have not understood your above statement at all. As you have quoted my comment, I request you to please clarify.

I hope you have read my answer to your PM.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram, you made some comments about "Reality". I was merely making the point that we all make our own "Reality" with our attitude and our mindset. This comes direct to you from the Upanishads and the Mahindra and Mahindra Employee Handbook, the later I hold to be full of unassailable truths. One can build, create and take the risks or one can can sit back and take "pot shots", cheap easy criticisms, at the people who get things done. One might even appear "plugged in" or quite clever with such criticisms...right up until the time when one is asked to produce something...other than criticism. Of course, if you get things done, you may have to change jobs more times than other folks. Success can have an unsettling effect upon management.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th November 2011 at 16:56.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 17:36   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@behram sir,

I think the confusion stems from the fact that your comments regarding the engineering and design of Manas's hard top are being perceived as unfair criticism given the resources he has available compared to what a company like Mahindra has.

You are absolutely right about the best/correct way to design a hard top. Unfortunately no company seems to be willing to provide one for Thar owners and Manas is the only one spending his time and money to develop an FRP top.

On a slightly separate note, you can help us all out by starting a new thread titled:

"Tata Sierra 4WD wish list - what you really want in your Tata Sierra 4WD"

:-) Hopefully it will lead us to a worthy competitor to the Thar which meets the needs of many to make to make a good 4WD touring vehicle.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 17:42   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Behram, you made some comments about "Reality". I was merely making the point that we all make our own "Reality" with our attitude and our mindset. This comes direct to you from the Upanishads and the Mahindra and Mahindra Employee Handbook, the later I hold to be full of unassailable truths. One can build, create and take the risks or one can can sit back and take "pot shots", cheap easy criticisms, at the people who get things done. One might even appear "plugged in" or quite clever with such criticisms...right up until the time when one is asked to produce something...other than criticism.
Dear Ken - I have still not understood your statement. Are you unhappy with me because I have not done the Thar Hard Top and you feel that on the forum I am criticising somebody who did it - or - are you happy with me because I have done the Thar Vehicle and others on the forum are criticising me for doing it. Kindly clarify. Please, ACTUALLY clarify what is in your mind. Even if it is the first statement, please say so clearly. I will only learn from your comments so I will in any case appreciate them, whatever they may be.

As you have rightly said, I have made my own "reality". My "reality" is that the vehicle is running out there on the road, delighting customers and making business sense to the company. To me - REALITY = "WIN-WIN" SITUATION ONLY.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - Upanishads? Forget it! The Gods must be having a lot of free time, here we have to meet and exceed targets. . Everyday!
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 21:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

#1.) Are you unhappy with me because I have not done the Thar Hard Top and you feel that on the forum I am criticising somebody who did it
- or -
#2.) Are you happy with me because I have done the Thar Vehicle and others on the forum are criticising me for doing it.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Manasm, but I have to take another whack at this. This isn't about your hardtop at all. I also hope you succeed wildly with it and I understand B.D. does, too, and 4x4Addict. Moderators, I beg your indulgence to go off topic with B.D. just a bit. Or, please give this exchange its own thread.

Behram, the quick answer is that I meant something a lot more like #2 than #1 but a little tired of the criticism which continually ignores some cold hard facts.

People, typically young men, often forget that to bring in any project of this immense complexity and size means you have to deal with a lot of pre-existing conditions. Some of these conditions you can alter, some you can not. Some of these conditions are technical in scope, e.g. pertaining to engineering or production or I.T. or whatever, some have to do with organizational psychology. The latter pre-existing conditions have to do with the dogmas and presuppositions in the minds of people in your own organization. In a family owned business this can be particularly challenging. Family members and family "friends" do not always have skill sets that fit their positions, to put it nicely. Hence they may become intractable when confronted with something they are not equipped to handle.

It is naive to think that in the corporate world any project officer can just sit down and create a system divorced from all these pre-existing conditions. To quote an obscure engineer.."Forget it, it just doesn't work that way." It rarely, rarely happens. It is maddening to have to have some status checker, procedure checker, who really doesn't know an accursed thing, show up at your desk and start questioning you about some obscure facet or problem that you have solved in a few seconds of thought, weeks ago, and which his whole job now seems to revolve around, belaboring the obvious after the fact. It's even worse when it's your boss.

Added to this is that in highly technical areas, engineering, chemistry, I.T. etc. the technical people are often much more knowledgeable in what needs to be done than management. This "knowledge inversion" is a source of potential conflict between management and technical staff.

Good judgement and professionalism largely consists in how we handle the pre-conditions to solve problems and a create a marketable product. You can be inside or outside the organization in question and offer all kinds of criticism. Frankly, that's easy but its a deceptively comfortable and risk free "reality" to live in and its ephemeral at best. Sooner or later you are going to have to do something other than criticize. Another "reality" is the reality of the doer. The man who knows his trade with a certainty and who has spent long hours forging himself into a man of expertise. His reality is that he is so good at what he is doing that he immediately, almost intuitively sees the whole solution to a complex problem in one whole piece and he flows through the problem like a man with tunnel vision to its ultimate, and to him, obvious solution. And if he is good and lucky, too, he can take other people along for the ride to a glorious conclusion. Or a pretty good conclusion.

Behram, I hope that clears up my meaning a little. It better, I am teetering on the edge of my ability to communicate. Got your PM. Am looking forward to developments.
DirtyDan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 10:44   #126
BHPian

After all that, back to discussions on my Thar!

Planning to re-paint the jeep. Want to use a slightly different shade of black - with a little bit of grey mixed in.

What do I need to do legally before painting?

Thanks,
Manas
Old 11th November 2011, 14:03   #127
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Please stick to the Topic. Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 12:08   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Behram, the quick answer is that I meant something a lot more like #2 than #1
Dear Ken - thanks. Your detailed comments are ABSOLUTELY / UTTERLY / TOTALLY / 100% "CORRECT".

Dear Tini - . Got it? Good! As we mention in engineering drawings - "if in doubt, ask".

Dear GTO - this is too good a discussion to pass by. I request you to please consider starting a new thread. Many young men will learn many new things. Perhaps, we might even save some lives.

1. Give Me Some Sunshine, Give Me Some Rain - Give Me Another Chance, I Wanna Grow Up Once Again.
2. Confusion Hi Confusion Hai, Solution Kuch Pata Nahin - Solution Jo Mila To Saala Question Kya Tha Pata Nahin.
3. Scholarship Ki Pi Gaya Daaru, Gum To Phir Bhi Mita Nahin - Agarbattiyan Raakh Ho Gayi - God Ko Phir Bhi Dikha Nahin.

DEAR GOD! DIKHA KYA?

AAL IJH WELL!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:40   #129
BHPian

Am looking to get my Thar re-painted. Need some advice on where to go in Bangalore.

I want a really professional job - need everything removed from the vehicle, including the seats and badging and then painted. Some place with their own paint booth would be great.

I am switching from Black and want to be able to work with the paint guys in getting the color right.

I don't mind spending money on the paint job as long as it is good - but an estimate of how much it would cost (ball park is great) would help in budgeting!

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Regards,
Manas
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:27   #130
BHPian

I heard that there's a some chap near koramangala (sony world junction) who does good paint work. Will try getting the number today and will post it here.
One of my friends got his corolla painted and I can say that the job was well done!

tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Am looking to get my Thar re-painted. Need some advice on where to go in Bangalore.

I want a really professional job - need everything removed from the vehicle, including the seats and badging and then painted. Some place with their own paint booth would be great.

I am switching from Black and want to be able to work with the paint guys in getting the color right.

I don't mind spending money on the paint job as long as it is good - but an estimate of how much it would cost (ball park is great) would help in budgeting!

Regards,
Manas

Last edited by bantejas : 22nd November 2011 at 14:31.
bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 15:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Manas
Check out Surakshaa on Hosur Road and Bannergatha Road. They are a MASS outlet but do other cars as well. Also PM Pavan Kadam to see if his painter can do it ( no booth though.. ). check this link. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...-colorium.html in the directory section.

cheers!
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 21:36   #132
BHPian

Paint and latches done...needs the interior carpeting work which has started and will be complete sat!

I am very happy with the way it looks and feels. Good amount of exterior noise cut even without the padding and no rattles except from the stock tailgate of the Thar (the one with the spare tyre).

As Ren and Stimpy would say...happy happy happy joy joy joy!

Excuse the quality of the pics as they were taken at 8pm. Have tried to take pics of the latches used to secure the top as well...The vehicle still needs a thorough cleaning inside and out!

My thanks to the people who responded about the painting...will probably take it for estimates to all the recommended shops next week Monday or Tuesday and to take a look at their paint booths.

I have a dark grey color in mind when re-painting. Would love to do it Army green, but heard it is not allowed by the RTO.

Regards,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00013.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00016.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00017.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00018.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00020.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00021.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00022.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00027.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00028.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00029.jpg  

Last edited by manasm : 24th November 2011 at 21:38.
manasm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 22:25   #133
Senior - BHPian

Check out member 'kandisa' 's jeep in this thread for the color..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ion-group.html

or perhaps the Rocky Beige color of the THAR...

cheers!

Last edited by smsrini : 24th November 2011 at 22:28.
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 10:30   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Paint and latches done...needs the interior carpeting work which has started and will be complete sat!

I am very happy with the way it looks and feels. Good amount of exterior noise cut even without the padding and no rattles except from the stock tailgate of the Thar (the one with the spare tyre).

As Ren and Stimpy would say...happy happy happy joy joy joy!

Excuse the quality of the pics as they were taken at 8pm. Have tried to take pics of the latches used to secure the top as well...The vehicle still needs a thorough cleaning inside and out!

My thanks to the people who responded about the painting...will probably take it for estimates to all the recommended shops next week Monday or Tuesday and to take a look at their paint booths.

I have a dark grey color in mind when re-painting. Would love to do it Army green, but heard it is not allowed by the RTO.

Regards,
Manas
Manas,

Great job. I really appreciate your dedication for this project against all odds.
twistwrist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 12:34   #135
Senior - BHPian

Excellent transformation. Visually it is surely around 98% of what a jeep owner would ideally want the HT to look like, at least IMHO. Once again i can't praise enough the dedication and perseverance shown by you for the project. One of its kind i have seen so far.
Kandisa is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks