Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 13:16   #46
jp1
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

As i mentioned before on other thread, the hard top looks very good compared to so called Mahindra customization. Eagerly waiting for your final design and pricing

where did you get the a/c fixed, was it behind Magarath Road? i dont remember the name of the place. I got it done there for my Gypsy, i think it was in 1998 or 99. Fitting was quite professional.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:18   #47

Manas, great looking HT. I am looking for a 2 piece removable HT too.
Can you share your design on the forum if possible.
Also share where you got your a/c installation done.

Thanks.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:09   #48
BHPian

@JP1 - got the AC fixed behind Magarath road - called WeCool I think. They did a good job. No overheating and was really tested in the Madras heat.

@Myk.b - thanks...i am working on the 2 piece - hope to have it ready by end of Oct. I know people have been waiting since Feb when I mentioned I was starting the HT project - so another month should not be a killer!
PM me for the number of the AC installer - will send you the number and contact.
What do you need on the design? Design is pretty much how it looks. Let me know and I will see if I can share what you are looking for.

Regards,
Manas
Old 29th September 2011, 19:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
@JP1 - got the AC fixed behind Magarath road - called WeCool I think. They did a good job. No overheating and was really tested in the Madras heat.

@Myk.b - thanks...i am working on the 2 piece - hope to have it ready by end of Oct. I know people have been waiting since Feb when I mentioned I was starting the HT project - so another month should not be a killer!
PM me for the number of the AC installer - will send you the number and contact.
What do you need on the design? Design is pretty much how it looks. Let me know and I will see if I can share what you are looking for.

Regards,
Manas

@manasm, if possible could you find out from the ac installation guy if he had to do anything different for the ac fitment. Also if you could post some details pics of engine bay showing the fitments. There were quite a list of things that Mr Behram Dhabhar had posted on his thread...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...har.html....Am not sure if anyone on this forum from Mumbai has done an outside job on the AC yet, so will need some directions if I decide to go for it.
Old 29th September 2011, 23:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
@manasm, if possible could you find out from the ac installation guy if he had to do anything different for the ac fitment. Also if you could post some details pics of engine bay showing the fitments. There were quite a list of things that Mr Behram Dhabhar had posted on his thread...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...har.html....Am not sure if anyone on this forum from Mumbai has done an outside job on the AC yet, so will need some directions if I decide to go for it.
@nitin. The A/C fitment is not as per BD's SOP.

The installation done for my thar and manas's thar users the scorpio OE compressor. There are no additional fans and it does not require new front grill as well. I have been using it for about 2 months and 3k km's it has been fine so far. No overheating in chennai/bangalore. I have driven it for 6 hours continuously with a/c and temp needle barely touched T.

In fact Coolaid/Wecool guys were ready to fit as per SoP but Mahindra is still not supplying a/c kits either to dealers or their authorised distributors. Last I spoke to Mahindra service head, i was told that their current a/c kit was rejected at some level and they plan to release a new a/c kit and SOP. this was 3 months back.

I took a risk and jumped into this solution because

1) it was 1/3rd the cost of Mahindra's A/C solution.
2) no one ever knows for sure when mahindra will make their kit available
3) A/C and heater works
4) It is OE compressor for Scorpio

I have no regrets and it chills the cabin pretty fast given we run with a soft top.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 06:13   #51
BHPian

@ Manasm & BlackRaven nice to know that you guys have got the Ac done at 1/3 the price , and moreover the heater works too.

Considering Banglore you guys will be driving through a lot of B2B traffic and like you have mentioned there is no additional fan and and it seems the AC is doing its job very well .

Could you please PM me the AC installer's # .

enjoy your rides guys .
Old 30th September 2011, 10:20   #52
BHPian

Hi Mansam
really cool job on the HT, the matt black goes famously with the body color, not sure how it will look on other body shades. The side view reminds me of the FJ Cruiser
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-2011toyotafjcruiserexteriorcolorblack.jpg  

maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 10:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
@ Manasm & BlackRaven nice to know that you guys have got the Ac done at 1/3 the price , and moreover the heater works too.

Considering Banglore you guys will be driving through a lot of B2B traffic and like you have mentioned there is no additional fan and and it seems the AC is doing its job very well .

Could you please PM me the AC installer's # .

enjoy your rides guys .
you could call murali @ nine eight four five zero seven zero eight one zero and tell him to do the same thing as swami's and manas's thar.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 10:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
Hi Mansam
really cool job on the HT, the matt black goes famously with the body color, not sure how it will look on other body shades. The side view reminds me of the FJ Cruiser
Thanks Maverick, the FJ is a vehicle I love! Yes I like the matte black on metal black. Am sure it will look good on other colors as well. But we can look at other shades - am in touch with a couple of BHPians who are Thar owners and will work with them for feedback on other colors. If it is feasible, will be more than happy to give everyone what they want.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Thanks Maverick, the FJ is a vehicle I love! Yes I like the matte black on metal black. Am sure it will look good on other colors as well. But we can look at other shades - am in touch with a couple of BHPians who are Thar owners and will work with them for feedback on other colors. If it is feasible, will be more than happy to give everyone what they want.
Any rattling issues so far?
Old 30th September 2011, 13:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Any rattling issues so far?

no rattling so far...only been slightly offroad (read: off the road onto the side of the highway in dirt and pebbles) once. No air seepage either. And external noise is dampened though not completely silent.
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:46   #57
BHPian

@manasm

I see that you have invested a lot of time and money in getting the HT working, but I was wondering why you did not consider having the design of the HT similar to the Jeep Rubicon.

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 3rd October 2011 at 16:07.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:01   #58
BHPian

@Trueintrepid - we looked at many designs. Most are not feasible since the design of the body shell of the Thar has rounded edges while the Rubicon (and other more modern American jeeps) have straight edges.

Second, I wanted something different and the design we came up with is different. Different strokes for different folks it is...we knew that not everyone would like it, but decided to go for it anyway since it was primarily built for myself.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:11   #59
BHPian

After two road trips to Chennai and Pondi, here is the situation:
  1. There is a problem with icing of the AC compressor - lots of water dripped down and due to the thoughtful positioning of the music system, it all dripped onto and shorted the player. Will need to buy a new one methinks!
  2. No squeaks or rattles from the top, but some air and noise coming into the cabin - mostly it is from the place where the gears are on the floor - since the rubber covers refuse to stay in place. Need to find a way to make sure the rubber gear lever covers stay down and in place. The air and noise also come in from the rear side windows as they have not been fitted properly. Need to fix that as well
  3. Everything is falling off the outside - all Thar badging around the vehicle is falling off - no idea why this is - my Thar now says "Th r" on one side with no "CRDe" on the other and only says "4x " - the second "4" has fallen along the wayside somewhere. You would think M&M as a company would ensure good glue used to stick on their branding/badging
  4. The is also lots of rust all over the place - will be getting all those parts fixed/replaced during the 1st service
  5. Am looking at getting the 3M underbody coating as well as the bedliner. Also might change the rear leafs to carbon fibre as have been told it improves the ride quality drastically
  6. The vehicle is now in the shop to get the fittings done for the 2 piece hard top with changes in the rake (less drastic rake) - hope to have it complete by Diwali when I will be off again to Ooty - with the top off and in the hills - should be fun!
Thats it for now...will update more as it comes!

Ciao
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 09:27   #60
BANNED

Why is the M&M build quality so low? I don't think this is due to cost cutting since it would hardly save 2k max. It's almost like they build the vehicle in a garage rather than a modern assembly line.

Most Viewed