Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2011, 15:17   #166
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Hi,

IMO, the alloys of the Scorpio VLX (top end) will gel with your Thar extremely well. Being an OE, it should fit the Thar like a glove .

-Harshavardhan
harshavardhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 18:55   #167
BHPian

Did you get audio with blue tooth fixed? remember you mentioning. where/what and how has been the experience?
Old 26th December 2011, 17:03   #168
BHPian

Vinay,

Got the audio with bluetooth. Fitted by a guy in Cambridge layout called Evo. Did a decent job and he is a tbhp member as well. Using it has been fine - especially since i have a lot less cabin noise in the hardtop.

PM me and I will give you his number. Nice chap. Call and tell him your requirements and budget and he will do the install.

P.S. I did have to get the wiring re-done better to hide the speaker wires etc later on by someone else who also redid the wiring for my A/C and electricals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Did you get audio with blue tooth fixed? remember you mentioning. where/what and how has been the experience?
Went on a short beginner's offroad trip Sunday morning along with Swamy (BlackRaven) and his Thar. The Thar did well although the tyre grip let me down a bit so decided to change the shoes to A/Ts.
Got a set of Yoko Geolander A/Ts (255x70R16) coming first week of Jan.

But for right now a new set of socks for the Thar. Looks good - still running on the stock tyres though!
Looking forward to the shoe change and have been told by people who have changed the tyres to Geos on their Thars that the ride improves as well.

The damn infernal squeaking from the bonnet is still there no matter what I do. I have gone to the service center 4 times now to get it fixed and it stays fixed for 2 days and then comes back again.

Plan to also do the ECU remap once Rajith does his and gives me feedback. This is supposed to help with the unburnt fuel smell in the cabin.

Now for the eye candy (eye candy for me at least) - photos taken this morning with the new socks! an a question - do you think my Thar is too low in front. Blackraven saw it yesterday and says that it does but am not sure. Feedback please. Need to fix it asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00053.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00054.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00055.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00057.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00062.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00063.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc00064.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th January 2012 at 07:57. Reason: merging post
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 09:38   #169
Senior - BHPian

Wow black rules! The overall combo with the alloys and much better finished hard top (or the photos are clearer this time?) looks killer. Try to take a side-wise picture , parallel to the jeep, preferably lowering the camera a bit, will give idea about the front dipping. Its not uncommon for the older 540/550's, but not sure about THAR.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 23:55   #170
BHPian

Excellent work on the hardtop Mansam! And I also agree that black rocks.

Just a small question on the design, what is the purpose of the slant in the back? against a simple straight back like the one shown below from the latest picture of the jeep wrangler hardtop? I apologise if the question has already been asked earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-wrangler_hardtop.jpg  

Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 13:35   #171
Senior - BHPian

Hi found this photo online. on Manpreet's profile on facebook.

I Like the design of the HT but it is not removable, i am sure that some thing can be sorted if a removeable is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-jeep.jpg  

Old 29th December 2011, 20:29   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Just a small question on the design, what is the purpose of the slant in the back? against a simple straight back
I have often thought the very same thing. A hard top which is in the same proportions of the current soft top will be excellent. But beauty lies in the eyes of.....
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:52   #173
BHPian

Bailee_Jatt_Boy - I did not want the same old square looks. I wanted something different. I liked the way the Thar looked with the slant top! Made it look like it was ready to pounce!

As an update - I have sorted out the issue of the lower front end - now looks and drives and feels a lot better. Got the service guys to raise the front end.
Also switched to Geolander 255/65 R16 A/T-S. These are slightly wider than the stock 235s, but I love the way they look and don't know if it is my imagination but the ride in the rear seems a lot more settled!

I still have the annoying squeaking from the bonnet which is really painful to the ears (as Rajith will attest to since he has been in my Thar once). The service guys are waiting for latch/lock parts to replace the entire assembly and hopefully will be done before Avalakonda!

The service center was also unable to update my ECU maps since the server crashed each time they tried (or so they tell me). Apparently they are waiting for some new tools from Mahindra which will come in on the 15th and only then can they do anything for the ECU. I am not too worried as I don't have the smell in the cabin due to the hard top. But people standing outside when I first start the jeep in the morning (security guard etc) tell me it is quite strong.

I was also able to get the rear seat that I wanted from Gujri. Spent a couple hours on a Sunday morning there and it is an amazing place to walk around. It is in re-upholstering right now and will be fitted by the 20th of Jan. After that comes the roll cage and rear seat belts. Also finished the design for the console and will start work on the fabrication soon.

I am also working on a design for a front seat which will double fold easily to allow easy ingress and egress from the front. This will be a one off and only for my Thar since I will be tearing apart my existing seat for this one!

Am at 4500Kms and quite happy although I wish I didn't have to deal with a lot of the problems myself. Wish they were not there when I got the vehicle. I still have people wave and stop me when they see me driving by in the Thar....

Pics to come later today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Excellent work on the hardtop Mansam! And I also agree that black rocks.

Just a small question on the design, what is the purpose of the slant in the back? against a simple straight back like the one shown below from the latest picture of the jeep wrangler hardtop? I apologise if the question has already been asked earlier.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:56   #174
BHPian

........As an update - I have sorted out the issue of the lower front end - now looks and drives and feels a lot better. Got the service guys to raise the front end...........

@manasm, was the front end level below what should have ideally been as per the MnM specifications or is there a range between which the front end level can be adjusted. I think in one of your earlier posts, Behram has spoken about an adjuster bolt setting, was this adjusted or the torsion bar as you had mentioned before that?

I am asking this because I think my thar also has the front end level dipping. I could see a visible difference (at least an inch) when I parked my thar next to my friend's recently. Though in my case both the rear and the front end seemed lower than my friend's thar.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:07   #175
BHPian

Nitin - the front end needs to be adjusted by the service guys if you feel it is lower. There are 2 adjustor bolts on the torsion bar about 2/3 of the way back. Turning the bolts raises/lowers the front end and (I am not sure about this but it seems to be the case in my Thar) also stiffens the ride a bit. Behram was absolutely right in is assessment of the fix!

The rear also raised up a bit when the front end was raised, but I am not sure if that was supposed to happen or not!

The front end when I got the Thar was below what it should have been and it became an issue only when I changed my rims. Then the tyre hit the fender and cracked it when I went over a speed bump.

Make sure they do a re-alignment and balancing if they adjust the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
........As an update - I have sorted out the issue of the lower front end - now looks and drives and feels a lot better. Got the service guys to raise the front end...........

@manasm, was the front end level below what should have ideally been as per the MnM specifications or is there a range between which the front end level can be adjusted. I think in one of your earlier posts, Behram has spoken about an adjuster bolt setting, was this adjusted or the torsion bar as you had mentioned before that?

I am asking this because I think my thar also has the front end level dipping. I could see a visible difference (at least an inch) when I parked my thar next to my friend's recently. Though in my case both the rear and the front end seemed lower than my friend's thar.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 13:12   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Wow black rules! The overall combo with the alloys and much better finished hard top (or the photos are clearer this time?) looks killer. Try to take a side-wise picture , parallel to the jeep, preferably lowering the camera a bit, will give idea about the front dipping. Its not uncommon for the older 540/550's, but not sure about THAR.
Thanks Kandisa - three reasons I chose black was
1) We already have 2 maroon cars in our garage. Didn't want another maroon Thar.
2) The black looked really mean! Wish they had it in a matte finish though
3) When I am out camping or in forest areas it is camouflaged quite well under the trees with all the shadows and am able to get closer for observing animals and birds.

I have fixed the dipping issue - was correct when I thought it was lower than it should have been.

P.S. The photos are clearer this time and the Thar had just been washed!
Old 13th January 2012, 23:24   #177
BHPian

Due to some reason, I was not able to post in the forum. I have ler the moderators know about it but nothing was done.

I really like the hard top. Congrats. You have really done a good job

I am sure that some people like me are actually waiting for a chance to buy the same from you. Please give us a chance.

I feel that a danger light above the spare wheel might look good with your design.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th January 2012 at 08:00. Reason: Please type in full english and not sms lingo please
tharakan9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 10:20   #178
BHPian

Have given my Thar to the service center this morning to get the ECU data set loading done.
They should have it ready by this evening.

Have told them to hold onto the CATCON work till next week since I want the Thar for the weekend (Sunday). Hopefully will fit my rear seats tomorrow.

Apart from that, a BIG problem is that the coolant is leaking very badly. It takes about 7 days to drain out completely. Not sure if this happens to other Thars as well or am I just the unlucky one.
Last evening, the guys at the service center flushed the entire system and could not find a leak anywhere! They refilled the coolant at about 6.30pm and when I dropped and vehicle off this morning and checked the level, it was half gone!

Hopefully they will be able to sort it out and/or fix it today! Have spent so much money on coolant that it is not even funny...refilling every 5 to 7 days!
Old 14th January 2012, 11:29   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post

Have told them to hold onto the CATCON work till next week since I want the Thar for the weekend (Sunday). Hopefully will fit my rear seats tomorrow.

Apart from that, a BIG problem is that the coolant is leaking very badly. It takes about 7 days to drain out completely.
Whats the CATCON work? could you mail pics after fitting in rear seats.

I had similar issue (though never had a complete drain out) -interestingly there were no leaks, bounce caused spill from top through inlet cap. got better quality cap and refix tight, no issues.
vnambiar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2012, 11:38   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnambiar View Post
Whats the CATCON work? could you mail pics after fitting in rear seats.

I had similar issue (though never had a complete drain out) -interestingly there were no leaks, bounce caused spill from top through inlet cap. got better quality cap and refix tight, no issues.
Thanks!

Will speak to them about a better inlet cap. There were no leaks anywhere on my Thar as well.

The CATCON work is basically a kit from M&M which just adds some length to the exhaust and brings it out the side. The kit is not available with the service center as yet.

The service center also said that I have the latest data set for the ECU so no need to update.

Will post pics once I fit the seats.

Most Viewed