Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 17:16   #211
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Tested the side armor for a week now and all ok.

3 guys have stood and jumped (rocked) on each side at the same time and nothing has fallen off.

Am quite happy since I have not done any mods on the Thar (not even a drill) - the side armor was made to fit the mounting points of the Thar - with sufficient reinforcement since the mounting points are very close together. Also had to change to stronger allen bolts, but initially used only the stock bolts which I had plated.

Next have taken them off to black powder coat and then install a bit of Aluminum checker plate on the top for grip and a nice look.

Sorry about the pic quality...taken on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0205.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0206.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0208.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0209.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0210.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0211.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0212.jpg  

Attached Images

manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 17:53   #212
BHPian

Next is the matching front and rear bumpers...scaled down from the RR ones to match the dimensions of the Thar.

But will be including drilled areas on both bumpers to integrate lights into them - fog lights for the front (since the stock headlights are terrible) and a set of extra brake lights in the rear just for the look.

The front fogs will be on the end angled bars - so they look outwards and down slightly for better visibility. Hope it works well.

Any suggestions for a set of aftermarket lights - not looking for the big hellas. Just a set of small lights that might possible be integrated into the bumper tubing so it is recessed into one of the the tubes itself and not beetween the tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-jeeprrcfrontgrilleguards.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-11503.11.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-jeeprrcrearbumpers.jpg  

Last edited by manasm : 8th October 2012 at 17:58.
Old 9th October 2012, 16:29   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Next is the matching front and rear bumpers...scaled down from the RR ones to match the dimensions of the Thar.

But will be including drilled areas on both bumpers to integrate lights into them - fog lights for the front (since the stock headlights are terrible) and a set of extra brake lights in the rear just for the look.

The front fogs will be on the end angled bars - so they look outwards and down slightly for better visibility. Hope it works well.

Any suggestions for a set of aftermarket lights - not looking for the big hellas. Just a set of small lights that might possible be integrated into the bumper tubing so it is recessed into one of the the tubes itself and not beetween the tubes.
Dear Manas - please refer my comments on page number 60 of the "lighting thread - post all queries on headlights here" on this forum (go through "search", you will get it). I have given everything there. You are lucky that the Thar has glass lenses, you can go upto 140 watts in the standard headlight fitting. With acrylic lenses, you cannot as the lens will first blacken and then melt. If you do everything that I have mentioned, you will not need any other lights. Just read, word by word, line by line and then let me have your comments.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 12:41   #214
Senior - BHPian

You might take a look at some local tractor shops near you. Many tractor models have bolt on lights. They give light and redundancy in case your headlights fail. Any decent electrical shop can install them and the switches. I am not a big "Hellas" fan either.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 12:44   #215
BHPian

Been a while and I just thought I would post an update...for the last 3 tanks, have been getting between 10.87 and 11.32 kmpl in city! With Bangalore traffic, am quite happy. A big improvement since the 8 to 9 kmpl I was getting earlier!

Got the warthog cleaned recently @ the 3M on 100 ft road, Indiranagar. They did a really good job - both inside and out, although they couldn't get the front carpet out since the seats are bolted through them. Very irritating!
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0343.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0350.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0353.jpg  

Old 14th March 2013, 18:18   #216
BHPian

Any idea if the Scorpio dash will fit into a Thar?
Old 14th March 2013, 19:12   #217
BHPian

Quote:
No Manas, it will be difficult to make it fit perfectly on the thar because the width,hight and length will change.
- Sreejesh

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 14th March 2013 at 19:13.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 20:48   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess the bolero dash should fit though..

Manas, it was nice seeing your Thar that day. I wish I had seen the HT in daylight. Maybe next time.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 10:47   #219
BHPian

Dhanush,

Let me know anytime you are around, and I can show you the Thar...

Cheers,
Manas
Old 15th April 2013, 10:59   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I guess the bolero dash should fit though.
Dear Dhanush - what yaar! Of course Thar instrument panel has to be of Bolero only. How can anything else get M1 homologation? I needed to meet "Head Impact Test" to get M1 (white number plate) homologation! This was the "Achilles Heel" in the project progress and on 19 July 2010 when I "informed" that the Thar has indeed met the "Head Impact Test", some faces were worth seeing and photographing. HaHaHa. Come on now!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 15th April 2013 at 11:01.
Old 5th June 2013, 13:18   #221
BHPian

Some pics of the Thar...after a long time...

Will be installing a snorkel and custom made bumpers soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0025.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-dsc_0061.jpg  

Old 5th June 2013, 15:11   #222
Senior - BHPian

Manas,
Read your complete ownership review of the thar and must congratulate you for the fantastic HT. Since it is now a year old how is she holding? Has she developed any niggles or an odd rattle? Very Very passionately done up Thar and wish you all the best.

One of these days I will own a Jeep
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 17:28   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Manas,
Read your complete ownership review of the thar and must congratulate you for the fantastic HT. Since it is now a year old how is she holding? Has she developed any niggles or an odd rattle? Very Very passionately done up Thar and wish you all the best.

One of these days I will own a Jeep
Thanks a bunch!

So far no problems with the HT. No leaks or squeaks. Most of the squeaks come from the tub or the front doors. I did break the rear handle once but got that replaced easily since I built it myself. Cost me 20 mins and 50 rupees.

The next projects which will finish up by the end of July:
  1. removal or everything from the Thar and welding closed all holes on the flooring and firewall
  2. replacement of the front seats with Swift seats
  3. movement of the front seats to the rear with a double fold frame fabricated by me. The seats will be torn apart and reupholstered so they fit as in the picture
  4. Dynamat will be put on the floor and firewall to insulate sound from the road and engine
  5. Brake upgrade
  6. Snorkel - parts already with me
  7. Custom fabricated bumper to be fitted - in fabrication and will be different from anything anyone has already made for the Thar
Cheers,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-ram5051311jeepwranglerrampagesplitfoldandtumblerearseat.jpg  

Old 10th June 2013, 13:17   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The next projects which will finish up by the end of July:
  1. removal or everything from the Thar and welding closed all holes on the flooring and firewall
  2. replacement of the front seats with Swift seats
  3. movement of the front seats to the rear with a double fold frame fabricated by me. The seats will be torn apart and reupholstered so they fit as in the picture
  4. Dynamat will be put on the floor and firewall to insulate sound from the road and engine
  5. Brake upgrade
  6. Snorkel - parts already with me
  7. Custom fabricated bumper to be fitted - in fabrication and will be different from anything anyone has already made for the Thar
Cheers,
Manas
Dear Manas - looking forward to seeing the finished product. I am sure it will be excellent!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 21:22   #225
BHPian

Got the Thar back from Rajith today.

There was an issue with the air mass sensor being completely dirty, which should account for the loss of low end grunt in the Thar.

Rajith drove it all the way to Coimbatore and the following work was done:
  1. brakes upgraded - stops on a dime now. first pump stops the vehicle and the 2nd pump locks the wheels - am more confident driving at higher speeds now
  2. cleaned the engine including the air mass sensor and the filter etc - the Warthog now flies off the line!
  3. Redid a lot of the wiring including the engine bay and the music system plus the wiring for the Autocop. Looks great!
  4. Replaced the spacers in the rear wheels with a new better finished set from Rohan @ Rogeotech free of cost
A big thanks to Rajith and the time and energy he has put into helping me out on my Thar.

P.S. He did Coimbatore to Bangalore in 4.5 hours, and in parts the speedometer needle crossed 160 and with the brakes, was stable!

Cheers,
Manas
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks