Team-BHP - Ultimate Offroader - Marauder !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Ultimate Offroader - Marauder ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/106595-ultimate-offroader-marauder-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinn (Post 2481788)
GTO - Its got more than 100 NM

He said Nm / Tonne.

(1100 Nm / 10 Tonnes = 110 Nm / Tonne)

On a related note, check out this Mahindra : LINK

cya
R

This is in response to Twinn's post earlier about the Hummer: The hummer (H1) and the humvee came off the same assembly line when they were in production by AMC. (American Motor Corporation) Some things were different like the road versoin had AC's, extra safety things that were required to sell the vehicle on road. Most of the "foundation" of the car were exactly the same has the Humvee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 2482130)
He said Nm / Tonne.(1100 Nm / 10 Tonnes = 110 Nm / Tonne)

Hi R - :Shockked: thats another beast, but all said most of these military vehicles are trucks, but the Marauder doesnt look like a truck!!!

Here's my report when I test drove the Hummer H 2 offroad
[FONT=Verdana]Humming along. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]By : Shahid Ahmad

The mudfest was over by 10.30 AM, and I dropped Mr. Robert Flemming from Khaleej Times back at Dragon Mart where he had parked his car.

A couple of hours of sleep just before Friday prayers and the desert bug got into me again. The mudfest was not enough for one weekend even in this heat!

We decided to take the HUMMER H3 for a test drive. We chose the intermediate route which we intend to use this Friday for a newbie trip with a lever.

The Hummer we tested is equipped with a 3500 cc engine, and a four speed transfer case.

Seating position not very comfortable. Restricted rear view and the front view is also only average because of a very low seat position. Instrument panel clear and precise. Good angle of view from driving position. Sound system fair.

The vehicle was a full time 4WD with a 4H and 4L electronic locking central differential and an electronic rear diff lock.

We put it into 4H central diff lock mode and chose gear position 3 to start with. The vehicle did a good climb with a front angle of approach of 42 degrees. It was a 30 degree gradient slope.

However as the sand got softer and going in the dunes harder the vehicle was gasping for power. The low side steps also were not very practical for dune driving.

At D or 3 position the Hummer was out of breath. It negotiated short climbs only in 2 position at very high revs. The torque was inadequate for tougher climbs.

On intermediate dune climbs, and on softer sands the Hummer H3 performed very poorly. It is not zippy in the sand like a Landcruiser. The airconditioning was good although. It did not trip throughout the trip.

After about 40 minutes of driving the engine started overheating, the needle was bordering on the red zone. Outside air temperature was 50 degrees at that time ( 5.00 PM ).

We stuck to tracks from this point onwards till the needle came down to the half mark. Then we subjected the Hummer to s steep sideways climb on a slipface of soft sand. Landcruisers, Prados and Wranglers easily negotiate this particular side dune climb. The Hummer failed. The sidesteps got buried in the sand. After a bit of digging with the shovels, I engaged the rear diff lock and climbed down in reverse.

Overall off road ( sand ) diagnosis FAIL. Not up to the mark.

Back after tyre inflation, on the highway, a strange dragging noise was apparent. A plastic grill on the bonnet that is designed to give it a fancy look actually deflects wind onto the windscreen making a terrible sound. Also when the wind passes through the series of orange lights on the roof, a big rattling noise comes through. Very annoying to the passengers.

The engine shift is not smooth and the vehicle gasps for power whenever the gas pedal is pushed. Highway driving result FAIL
_________________[/FONT]

Like I said, the H2 and H3 are nothing but excuses to use the Hummer brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2480024)
My all-time favourites (ultimate if you may) are the Bowlers & Wranglers.

Bowler is like the ferrari of the off roading world. :thumbs up

Mods: i request you to change the name of the thread to Ultimate Offroader - Marauder, as the name of the vehicle is Marauder and not Marauder Hummer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julupani (Post 2479774)
These vehicles are way more pure military than the original Hummer, which was way more military spec than the Willys Jeep.

Vehicles like the Marauder are not really meant for use by the common man. Why would anyone want a mine-protected vehicle for private use???

By the way, Top Gear didnt really compare it with a Hummer. The vehicle in the video was an H3, which is just an excuse to use the Hummer brand. The real Hummer, though not likely to survive a blast like that unscathed, is designed to protect its occupants from death in case of it hitting, most IEDs and anti-personnel mines.

Overall, the Marauder is just like any other superb military vehicles which are designed to work in conditions like those. It has not really broken any technological ground or have any revolutionary design. The Humvee on the other hand was a revolutionary piece of engineering, which still hasnt been bested a quarter of a century after it was introduced.

100% correct view , the video is like comparing childs plastic tricycle with a motorcycle and boasting motorcycle is more efficient :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by neel385 (Post 2482063)
The Marauder will probably fall into the APC category of vehicles and not really be counted as a SUV. It is definitely a special purpose vehicle made mainly for the armed forces, though the paramilitary forces today would do well to employ them in CI ops. As an APC, it would be required to move into and across a variety of terrains and situations and so a certain amount of off road drivability is a must, but that really does not make a vehicle a SUV does it?

Yeah, it's an APC not an SUV by a long shot. 18 tons? Probably not an economy car.

A armored
P personnel
C carrier

Note the 45 degree armored wheel wells that direct mine explosions detonated by tyres/weight away from the occupants at the cost of a wheel assembly.

I don't think we will see this at TPC2012.

The Marauder is actually one level above an APC. Its an MPV, not Muti Purpose Vehicle, but Mine Protected Vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 2488898)
Yeah, it's an APC not an SUV by a long shot. 18 tons? Probably not an economy car.

Dan, during your time with Uncle Sam, had they started using APCs & MPVs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2489069)
Dan, during your time with Uncle Sam, had they started using APCs & MPVs?

Not in the modern sense. In the cold war era APCs in the U.S. and NATO were light armored tracked vehicles meant to protect infantry from artillery and light arms. They were found with main battle tanks and the mission was to engage enemy armies arrayed in the field.

Now the mission has changed to using LAVs (light armored vehicles) in "nation building" and "peace keeping" roles where they are used largely independently of heavy armor to protect infrastructures and populaces. The U.S. Armed Forces now have a number of such vehicles from armored Humvees to the big Stryker (google it).

In my day I was the proud owner/operator of a pair of combat boots and a rifle. One or two of my guys had a radio and we called in airstrikes, artillery, naval gunfire, helicopter gunships, the Pope, Pizza and refreshments. Even today small light infantry units pretty much trump everything else...with a little help from their friends.

I respect all the above said points, but my personal opinion is this kind of vehicles should be used in Indian armed forces and BSF. Even for police in few important areas!please:

Which off roaders are used in the movie Fast Five? I really liked those.

Now this is what you need to use to transport important and delicate goods across town or across States. I wouldn't be surprised if mine-owners would go in for this. It's a great vehicle, if you want to ensure yourself security at all times! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suhaas307 (Post 2497857)
I wouldn't be surprised if mine-owners would go in for this. It's a great vehicle, if you want to ensure yourself security at all times!

U bet!!! Its a said machine for such kind of diggers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2497849)
Which off roaders are used in the movie Fast Five? I really liked those.

It looks like make over of the tetra truck, but its awesome!!! I love the way it makes the flying appearence, like a superman :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk (Post 2497831)
Indian armed forces and BSF. Even for police in few important areas!

Agreed sir, but what say all the money goes into buying high end cars for the babus and their biwis lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 2489612)
In my day I was the proud owner/operator of a pair of combat boots and a rifle. One or two of my guys had a radio and we called in airstrikes, artillery, naval gunfire, helicopter gunships, the Pope, Pizza and refreshments. Even today small light infantry units pretty much trump everything else...with a little help from their friends.

My salute to you sir !!!