Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Yet another MM 540DP

After a lot iffs and buts ,dilly dallying and informed consultations from fellow jeepers and personal friends,I finally took the plunge and bought a MM 540 DP.It required hell lot mental courage ,as I was already having a MMCJ500D with fully functional 4WD.
Now , I have mentioned elsewhere two that I was looking for second hand MM540 peugot 2112 engine for my CJ500D.I almost bought an engine ,but better sense prevailed as Arka pointed out the difficulties or rather complications involved in changing the stock 38 bhp international B275 engine,so back -tracked then.

No more than two days has passed when the jeeper in started bugging me and poor me could hold long against my heart started scouting the the second hand auto market in my native place ,ie Varanasi.
The said market is just beside the famous Hindu pilgrimage site in Benares,knows as PISACH MOCHAN where people pay obeisance to their ancestors in the twilight zone
So the place is salvation site for old dead and sometimes second hand vehicles generally light motor vehicles.
This place is automotive graveyard and here i was looking the peugot 2112 engine -smitten as i am by the jeep thing and as the destiny would have it I met my baby here itself.
The scrap dealer said why not go for 1996 MM540 and there we go!
I saw , and i fell for it the same moment.Now comes the best part -he said I can have it for Rs 65k
I was told by a seasoned jeeper that I should wait and watch and should not make haste!
I waited for two days literally dreaming about it.It was really hard focussing on other things .I know its getting rather too filmy to be true.
Finally after three days i could not take it any longer

Now point wise enumeration of pluses and minuses
*Good engine ,which has a lot juice left in it
*One year old battery -exide
*Good suspension -does not require any work
*Steering is cool -i mean it needs pretty less or no correction as opposite to my CJ500D,
*Front wheel drive mechanism is there-the differential ,the transfer case etc
Now the minuses

*Body is rusted in patches -may need surgical intervention
*Wheels need attention regards the greasing and checking the brakes if they are jammed
*The glass frame is completely rusted and needs immediate job.
*The front propeller is missing

Now lets have some visual description
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03969-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03970-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03971-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03972-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03975-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03976-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03977-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03978-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03983-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04002-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04004-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04016-600-x-450.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th September 2011 at 12:09. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smileys per post
Old 29th August 2011, 23:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yet another MM 540DP

This is a faar better conditioned jeep than your CJ500... Some better pics of exterior and under body after the wash please. 65K is a steal for a 4wd 540 these days.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

wow
looks is much better shape.

please check the chassis for cracks . (especially near engine mountings)

dont repair the windshield frame, buy a new one.

check every thing.
electricals, fuel supply, suspension.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 30th August 2011, 00:50   #4
AVR
BHPian

This is a good deal for the price. Its interesting how you end up buying a jeep when you had gone scouting for just an engine. Perhaps, you could now do this one up and bid farewell to the CJ500D that you have? If engine and g/b are in good shape half the job is already done!

Happy Jeeping!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 07:28   #5
BHPian

Congrats blueblooded . I think do a patch work on body and a full service A set of Tyres will do the job. ?
sreejeshmp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 13:13   #6
BHPian

some more pictures post throrough washing

I am posting some more pictures of my baby after getting it properly washed.Now ,please post your comments.
Yesterday ,I got the jeep transferred in my name and got it checked from RTO office through a different agent.
Also,I went to my mechanic as the two front wheels are not as free moving as they should.
He examined the brake shoes ,dismantled the whole front right wheel assembly but finally could not come to any conclusion as to what exactly is the problem as both brake "pistons" -I am just quoting him-were ok ,
I was asked to come another day with full day involvement as he says it must require checking master cylinder as the brake hoses were also ok

Now it time for pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04018-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04021-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04022-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04023-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04024-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04025-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04034-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04035-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04036-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04037-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04038-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04040-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04041-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04043-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04044-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04045-600-x-450.jpg  

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc04046-600-x-450.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by blueblooded : 31st August 2011 at 13:15. Reason: spell check
Old 31st August 2011, 20:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

nice.

so what are the plans for the jeeps 500 & 540?
Old 1st September 2011, 05:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
nice.

so what are the plans for the jeeps 500 & 540?
Dear jeepster,now with the addition of a MM 540 DP to my extended family my priorities has changed to the extent that all the money and time which i can spare shall go into MM540.
But right now i will keep them as they are and have fun
Old 4th September 2011, 23:54   #9
BHPian

Re: enjoying my ride

After the initial excitement of owning a MM540 has matured into an adult passion for it ,I am now in state to describe and solicit help regarding the various tricks of MM540.
Like a prudent I am not spending any more money over it than is actually needed to keep it running properly.
Now some pointed queries
*The engine sounds good though it might take a couple of cranks to start.
*The four wheel mechanism needs the axle to be connected to front wheels as well as front propeller shaft .
*I know not where to source them from?
*On closer scrutiny the body shows the tell tale signs of great deal of rusting.
The body work being cash and time intensive need to wait.
*Finally i want a pair of free wheeling hubs for the beast.

As of now no AC or any other electronics
regards
praveen
Old 5th September 2011, 09:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: enjoying my ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
*The engine sounds good though it might take a couple of cranks to start.
*The four wheel mechanism needs the axle to be connected to front wheels as well as front propeller shaft .
*I know not where to source them from?
*On closer scrutiny the body shows the tell tale signs of great deal of rusting.
The body work being cash and time intensive need to wait.
*Finally i want a pair of free wheeling hubs for the beast.
check the Glow Plugs & furl injectors.

front axle shafts can be bought new or at Scrap yards too.

front prop shaft can be custom made please ask your mechanic, but i will recommend New one.

free wheeling hubs are 4K+
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-jeeps-10.html

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 6th September 2011, 01:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
check the Glow Plugs & furl injectors.

front axle shafts can be bought new or at Scrap yards too.

front prop shaft can be custom made please ask your mechanic, but i will recommend New one.

free wheeling hubs are 4K+
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-jeeps-10.html

rgds,
Nikhil
Today I went for changing one switch in the altenator.
Reason -The alternator was not charging properly
Diagnosis -The ever eager mechanic asked for changing the cut out .

Result -I am poorer by 700 bucks ,the mm 540 has refused to start without the jump start ritual.

Now i dont know what should i do
The voltmeter is showing reading at times only.
Moreover the light indicator denoting the charging or otherwise is not glowing once the jeep is above idle rpm
regards
Praveen
Old 6th September 2011, 08:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now i dont know what should i do
The voltmeter is showing reading at times only.
Moreover the light indicator denoting the charging or otherwise is not glowing once the jeep is above idle rpm

it must be a Ammeter so readings will be current drawn when charging or heavy use like headlights, so dont worry.

the Battery light which is ON when you turn on the electicials by switch.

it should switch off as soon as engine is started & alternator starts to charge the battery.

if the light stays on then there is some thing wrong with your charging circuit.

even if the Bulb in the indicator can cause problems in charging the battery.

please see the pic & quoted text by BD sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
3 ----- it is a high beam indicator. It should be on when headlights are in high beam. Sharath, if my memory is correct, your CJ340 has a PMP make aftermarket headlight relay. Just interchange the switch actuation wires. High beam is to be actuated by pushing the lever away from the steering wheel. In your case it may have been connected wrongly. It is better to apply some black coating on it using a permanent marker as it used to irritate me in the night. It shines too brightly.

4 ----- yes, it is the battery charging light but Sharath, if it is OFF, the battery is charging. If it is ON, the battery is not charging. Read carefully. The CJ340 has the Lucas TVS SA15 alternator. When the engine is not running (alternator rpm is zero) and the ignition key is switched on, the field excitation currect flows through the filament of this tiny bulb. If this bulb blows, the alternator will not charge. It is very important to check that this bulb is glowing when you turn the key on before you start the engine. In all my fiat / maruti 800 cars which use the same alternator, I make it a point to use the finest quality original GE / Philips bulb only at this location. It is a just a 2 watt bulb and costs only 100 rupees but if it has blown and you turn the alternator (means you start the engine), the alternator diodes will blow off. Therefore, also ensure that the connector to this bulb is perfect. If everything is OK and you start the engine, the light will not go off as long as the engine is idling. You increase the rpm once above 1400, the light will go off. Now even if you come back to idling rpm, the light will not come on again. This means that everything is OK. The cutoff charging rpm for 2 watts bulb is 1400 rpm. For 2.2 watts bulb it is 1200 rpm but 2.2 watt bulb is a little difficult to find. Keep this bulb working, you will save thousands of rupees in alternator repair bills.

5 ----- the one on the top is the oil pressure warning light. It is important as it will attract immediate attention to any malfunction in the lubrication circuit, especially in the night. The middle one is for the RH / LH signal light telltale. The bottom one is for the handbrake cum FLWI (fluid level warning indicator), indicating a fall in brake oil level. Actuation is through switches attached to the handbrake ratchet and the master cylinder fluid filler.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:27   #13
BHPian

Dear Jeepster,
I am going to start the jeep and run it for few kms to check if alternator is charging.
If the charging bulb is indicator is the tell tale sign of charging alternator then my alternator must be charging as when the engine starts the charging light goes off.

One more thing ,yesterday the Mechanic did the strange thing ,he told me that if disconnect the battery terminal then the engine would stall if the alternator is faulty.
Then he demonstrated it by disconnecting the terminal and i was steering,The engine really was stalled when he disconnected the battery.
Again ,after changing the cut out or relay switch from the alternator,he repeated the same act but this time the engine did not stall .I was in great astonishment ,though I never showed it upfront.
Please elucidate
regards
praveen
Old 7th September 2011, 08:25   #14
BHPian

Find the link of the picture of steering wheel ,the mechanics are unable to fix the the cover or the horn cover,I am being told that whole steering wheel has to go .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...600-x-450-.jpg

A day before yesterday ,the fan belt went kaput without my brother knowing it.
He drove it in bumper to bumper traffic with headlights on ,finally the battery was dead discharged and engine temperature started crossing 80 degree celcius,and now the worst part he did not realise that he was driving the jeep with broken fan belt
The next day we saw and I went straight to mechanic after jump staring the mm540 using my cj500
The fan belt was changed but the damage is already done as battery refuses to even move the self actuator and its indicator has turned white.
There I realised once more why people are wary of peugot engines.
But for me its ok,and nothing drives like it period.
regards
Praveen

Last edited by blueblooded : 7th September 2011 at 08:29. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 7th September 2011, 10:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more thing ,yesterday the Mechanic did the strange thing ,he told me that if disconnect the battery terminal then the engine would stall if the alternator is faulty.
Then he demonstrated it by disconnecting the terminal and i was steering,The engine really was stalled when he disconnected the battery.
Again ,after changing the cut out or relay switch from the alternator,he repeated the same act but this time the engine did not stall
yes , mostly all diesels (without electronics) can run without battery, some even start without a battery.

but xdp can not start as its not a DI & it needs to heats for initial start.

about the engine stopping without battery, AFAIK the fuel pump has a Diesel Cut-Off mechanism which stops the diesel supply when we turn off the switch by key.

if we disconnect a battery the power is supplied by alternator to keep the fuel Cut-Off in ON position.

if the alternator is faulty the engine will stop.

also always check the connection while pressure wash & for loose connection.
Yet another MM 540DP-dsc03986.jpg

Yet another MM 540DP-dsc05397.jpg
Quote:
Find the link of the picture of steering wheel ,the mechanics are unable to fix the the cover or the horn cover,I am being told that whole steering wheel has to go .

A day before yesterday ,the fan belt went kaput without my brother knowing it.
He drove it in bumper to bumper traffic with headlights on ,finally the battery was dead discharged and engine temperature started crossing 80 degree celcius,and now the worst part he did not realise that he was driving the jeep with broken fan belt

The next day we saw and I went straight to mechanic after jump staring the mm540 using my cj500

There I realised once more why people are wary of peugot engines.

you can make a custom leather cover for it or regular canvas one.

you worried a bout a 5K battery i think you should worry a 15K overhaul.

as any water cooled vehicle if driven without fan belt can cause over heating & thus resulting in Piston Seizures or worse a full engine seizure.

Most Viewed