Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 18:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Man and the Machine : Yet again MM550

@MM: Your Jeep looks good :

Some questions:

1. WHy did you go for a booster assisted brake? Did you feel the braking otherwise BAD?

2. Where is your skid plate? Ask Ali to fix one asap.

Your description of the M&M 4x4 is good. I'd like to know why you chose M&M and not any other vehicle? You think there is no other?

Cheers
Old 21st September 2011, 09:33   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@MM: Your Jeep looks good :

Some questions:

1. WHy did you go for a booster assisted brake? Did you feel the braking otherwise BAD?

2. Where is your skid plate? Ask Ali to fix one asap.

Your description of the M&M 4x4 is good. I'd like to know why you chose M&M and not any other vehicle? You think there is no other?

Cheers
1) MM550 Comes with Booster assisted brake and its not my customization.

2) Thanks for the input. I will talk to Ali regarding this.

And i chose Mahindra 4x4 Because.

I have gone with people taking vehicle off-road. It is not a fantastic vehicle, but competent enough to do just about everything that other vehicles can do. You have to learn to drive the vehicle well. (Like in the old Amby days and older generation jeeps). Clearance is good. Entry angle is very good, exist angle is good enough. Break over angle is comparable to other vehicles.

Interior comfort are ok but not as good as Gypsy or any other SUV’s. Build quality is such that things don't look like in a modern SUV , but it is solid and does rattle a bit but I have seen friends 4x4 vehicles that does rattles like Mahindra 4x4. (Rattles and SUV’s go well with each other. Here I am talking about Safaris and Scorpios)

The ride is a bit on the harsh side, but that is because the vehicle has been sprung to handle a load well. It can pack all our holiday goodies for a family in it.

If I had to sum it all up in one sentence it would be:

THE MAHINDRA 4x4 IS A JEWEL OF A MACHINE.

If you can live with the looks, etc, you actually have a good to very good vehicle. And for just 2L we can own a Jeep. WOW. We can replace gearbox and engine and more customization, still be cheaper than non-customizable SUV’s . Makes you think, doesn't it.

And Finally

"Real Jeeps are built not bought."

(These are some striking words I saw somewhere in the net and definitely not mine)
ManMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 13:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Seems like you are madly and deeply in love with your jeep.

Just for records even I keep going through only Jeep threads these days and keep dreaming about owning my very own Ex-army 550.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 13:45   #34
BHPian

I have few queries regarding the cost for the following. So experienced people and gurus please give inputs.

1) Cost Of Soft Top.
2) Roll Bar.
3) Skid Plates.
4) Bucket Seat.

Rear - Side facing seats or Front facing seat which is better?

Regards,
Abhinandhan
Old 21st September 2011, 15:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
I have few queries regarding the cost for the following. So experienced people and gurus please give inputs.

1) Cost Of Soft Top.
2) Roll Bar.
3) Skid Plates.
4) Bucket Seat.
Inputs based on my experience:
1. Soft Top: Approx 6-8k usually. Try to use the 'tufftop' kind of materials, which are available with the Mahindra workshops. Inferior options are also there which would cost around 4k.
2. Full 6 point roll cage has cost me around 7-8k.
3. Skidplate:No idea as i haven't got one fabricated till now.
4. Bucket seats: Depends on the choice of seats. Among the normal cars, try the Innova seats, very simple but very comfortable. Cost would be around 6- 7 k.

Quote:
Rear - Side facing seats or Front facing seat which is better?...
Depends whether you would be having regular passengers in the rear of the jeep. If not, not much of point to do the front facing conversion. But otherwise it is more convenient than the side facing option.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 15:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Cost Of Soft Top.
2) Roll Bar.
3) Skid Plates.
4) Bucket Seat.

Rear - Side facing seats or Front facing seat which is better?

Regards,
Abhinandhan
I would say go for side seating than the front facing as it can take 2 person or maximum 3 that too with difficulty, side facing seats can accommodate 3 individuals per seat that makes 6 person plus 2 in the front plus, front facing would be a bad idea because the entry to the rear seat would be through middle of the front two seats and for ladies it will become even more harder as the gear lever is in the middle. Front facing seats or only fit for Willys/Ford kind of small tub vehicles. Another benefit of MM550 side seating is they are bigger and comfortable than MM540's and can be folded at times when you need some goods to be carried.
chanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 16:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
3)

4) Bucket Seat.

Abhinandhan
Abhinandhan,

I Have a set of Innova middle row seats with Hand rest for sale PM me If you are interested.

Lets see for How long this "10 Jeep comments will last.. .
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:41   #38
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the inputs. Can Innova Middle seat be used as front seat on MM550? What is the difference between Innova front and middle seats?
When we look at the seats both looks similar, except for the arm rest on the middle seat. correct me if i am wrong.

Best Bucket Seat for MM540/550 ???
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:51   #39
BHPian

And Regarding AC . I have no plans for Now, but may be in the future. Why i am talking about AC now is for those who wants a good AC Mechanic. I just got some inputs from him. In Super King there are two versions available.

1)Original Super King - Comes with original compressor and parts worth - 32K
2)Chinese Super King - Comes with Chinese compressor but cant say diff. - 20K

And about the heating problems, as i saw in lot of threads, but the AC Mechanic said, it can be arrested easily with a bigger and powerful Fan.
We always talk about the bigger radiator, but he says bigger and powerful fan is very important. (Correct me if i am wrong) He also says the original Super king does not overheat the engine.
Old 22nd September 2011, 20:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Correct me if i am wrong) He also says the original Super king does not overheat the engine.

THAT is one BIG GAMBLE IMHO - I have been warned several times by several people to refrain from installing an AC in my 540. I have the original 2.1 4.90 DP engine which is much smaller.

I am not so sure about this overheating thing - I dont think a better fan alone would do the job. I think one needs a better fan AND a multiple [4 or 6] cored radiator AND a correct fan AND a correct water pump AND a clear water passage in the engine to avoid overheating .

I was told 97 out of 100 engines develop overheating issues in the Mahindra IDI engines.

Experts - please advice on the AC issue
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Can Innova Middle seat be used as front seat on MM550? What is the difference between Innova front and middle seats?
When we look at the seats both looks similar, except for the arm rest on the middle seat. correct me if i am wrong.
Exactly, except that arm rest thing, both sets of seats are similar. And the middle row seats can easily be used as the front seats as the dimensions are same.

Quote:
Best Bucket Seat for MM540/550 ???
Seats of the imported cars if you manage to get one/ Original seats of Mahindra Classic / APC kind of proper racing kind of seat if you don't mind spending the money. Two pics for your reference:

Man and the Machine : Yet again MM550-11042009587.jpg

Man and the Machine : Yet again MM550-crw_6987.jpg
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 22:39   #42
BHPian

@ManMachine - your first lines in the thread just got me hooked and yes i think the phrase jeep wave is apt coz i am riding one and asking people left.right and centre where i could find an old willy's or mahindra classic .. though after seeing this thread about the 550 i am having second thoughts..
Acclero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 08:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
@ManMachine - your first lines in the thread just got me hooked and yes i think the phrase jeep wave is apt coz i am riding one and asking people left.right and centre where i could find an old willy's or mahindra classic .. though after seeing this thread about the 550 i am having second thoughts..
. If you are looking for old willy's, We have 1 or 2 in running condition, i think the price was around 1.6L, well i am not sure, but if you really want one, i can put you across.
ManMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 09:12   #44
BHPian

Now the seats are completed, i will post the pictures soon.

Now i am in a big confusion.For the soft top, i am not sure about the properties and performance. There are three type of materials on the market.

1) Canvas Thin Type - Well not sure about the water proof, various color options.
2)Canvas Thick Type - Water Proof, only Cream and Green color available.
3)Vinyl Type - Water Proof, Various color Options.

But again i doubt the Waterproof canvas thick type, even if it says so.

Experts please advice
Old 28th September 2011, 10:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....There are three type of materials on the market.
1) Canvas Thin Type - Well not sure about the water proof, various color options.
2)Canvas Thick Type - Water Proof, only Cream and Green color available.
3)Vinyl Type - Water Proof, Various color Options.
From waterproofing part, the vinyl type will be much better AFAIK. And usually people go for this kind of material for soft tops in 540/550's. Canvas top looks good with the SWB jeeps and also will look good in 550 if you want to have a no-frills-but-mean-looking kind of finish. Attaching a pic of DBhpian Arka's jeep.

Man and the Machine : Yet again MM550-dsc_0227.jpg

My suggestion: 1st finalize what kind of appearance you would like for your jeep including the paint finish etc and then decide.
More info can be provided on the waterproof canvas by the experts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks