Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:42   #1
BHPian

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550

Hi Guys,

Most of my posts have been related to Nissan Jonga, but this one is about my MM550XD, which I have just completed restoring. Its a 2001 ex-Army MM550XD.

Regrettably I have not maintained a well documented restoration thread but I am attaching some pictures of what the Jeep looked like, and what it looks like now.

I would also like to thank Arka, Jassy, Fazal Ali Bhai for their inputs and help with information and parts.

Like many of you have already experienced, the journey was FANTASTIC. I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

The vehicle was stripped down to bare chassis and every component has been overhauled. The Engine has new pistons (Goetze), rings, bearings, valves and associated components. The drivetrain, the axles, gearbox, transfer case, all have new bearings and seals.

The paint is 2K. I have installed extended shackles to increase the height, and differential guard (both from Vijay) and the Offroad bumper (from Pradeep).

Though I have restored this Jeep as if I was doing it for myself, I am putting it up FOR SALE. I now have a small setup where I have my own small team that is helping me restore Jeeps, Gypsies and Jongas for 4x4 enthusiasts.

I have named this Jeep SARBLOH 550. 'Sarbloh' mean pure Iron, and was the metal used by Sikh warriors for making weapons in olden days.

Hope you guys like my work.

Regards

Jaskirat
Attached Thumbnails
MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-mm5500.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-mm5501.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj001.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj002.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj003.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj004.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj005.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj006.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj007.jpg  

MM550XD to Sarbloh 550-sj008.jpg  

Jaskirat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: MM550XD to Sarbloh 550

Jaskirat,

Your "Sarbloh" has turned out really neat with clean lines. The sectional soft top has turned out good with a perfect rear slope, front bumper and bull bar are in sync. The lift is in proportion.

On your next 550 continue with the turn/ parking lamps on the front fenders with its guard, and headlamp too with guards, it gives a tough character to it and make it as a primary off roading vehicle with suitable tyres.

Looking forward to pics. of interior and engine bay.
Regards,
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

nice work jaskirat, and nice transformation of the jeep from the junk scrap to SARBLOH 550.

though i would love to see the WIP of the jeep.
Old 2nd October 2011, 18:12   #4
BHPian

Dear Jaskirat,

Your Jeep Looks really good pal.

But the 550XD in its original state makes my heart flutter. Wish I had one like that I Would maintain it in the original State itself(except mechanicals). That machine oozes character. If possible please share on how one can get hold of such machines from the army.
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:41   #5
BHPian

that is a great looking jeep.the pain taken to restore really shines through.
@ sureshkishore there are two ways to own these ex army jeeps.
1. Buy it from any person dealing in scrap vehicles
2. Bid for it directly through on-line auction @ mstcindia.org.But for this you have register with them before hand. The details are there on the website.
Old 3rd October 2011, 01:06   #6
BHPian

Great and Clean Job done.. We can see the hard work done.. Congrats..
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Dear Mr. Fazal,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback. The next 550 that I am restoring has MT tyres and Offroad wheels.

Though I would have taken your suggestion regarding the turn / parking lamps being on the fender, but the vehicle has already been painted. I will nevertheless install the headlamp / parking lamp guards.

Regards

Jaskirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Jaskirat,

Your "Sarbloh" has turned out really neat with clean lines. The sectional soft top has turned out good with a perfect rear slope, front bumper and bull bar are in sync. The lift is in proportion.

On your next 550 continue with the turn/ parking lamps on the front fenders with its guard, and headlamp too with guards, it gives a tough character to it and make it as a primary off roading vehicle with suitable tyres.

Looking forward to pics. of interior and engine bay.
Regards,
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to see any advertisement for the Sarbloh in classified section, can you tell what kind of price you are looking for this?
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats your Sarbloh 550 looks very nice and its stance is great. The restoration is very neatly done. Looking forward to your next restoration.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:05   #10
BHPian

Hi Bandhav, the advert is pending approval by the forum administrator. It should hopefully be online by tomorrow morning. It would not be appropriate for me to mention the price of the post, therefore I will send you a PM.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I am yet to see any advertisement for the Sarbloh in classified section, can you tell what kind of price you are looking for this?
Old 4th October 2011, 11:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Hi Guys,

Most of my posts have been related to Nissan Jonga, but this one is about my MM550XD, which I have just completed restoring. Its a 2001 ex-Army MM550XD.

Regrettably I have not maintained a well documented restoration thread but I am attaching some pictures of what the Jeep looked like, and what it looks like now.

I would also like to thank Arka, Jassy, Fazal Ali Bhai for their inputs and help with information and parts.

Like many of you have already experienced, the journey was FANTASTIC. I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

The vehicle was stripped down to bare chassis and every component has been overhauled. The Engine has new pistons (Goetze), rings, bearings, valves and associated components. The drivetrain, the axles, gearbox, transfer case, all have new bearings and seals.

The paint is 2K. I have installed extended shackles to increase the height, and differential guard (both from Vijay) and the Offroad bumper (from Pradeep).

Though I have restored this Jeep as if I was doing it for myself, I am putting it up FOR SALE. I now have a small setup where I have my own small team that is helping me restore Jeeps, Gypsies and Jongas for 4x4 enthusiasts.

I have named this Jeep SARBLOH 550. 'Sarbloh' mean pure Iron, and was the metal used by Sikh warriors for making weapons in olden days.
Hi Jaskirat,

Nice restoration/rebuild, the guy who buys it will surely get a good jeep.

On a personal note I prefer the original Soft-Top as it is more functional.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th October 2011, 21:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jaskirat: Just checked out the Advert for the Jeep in the classified section, you mentioned there that Jeep is running on 16" alloys, are these 139.7 PCD ones or you have used adapters to mount more easily available 160 PCD ones.

Please also post some detailed interior shots here for our viewing pleasure and in advert to make it easier for the prospective buyers to make up their mind.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:47   #13
BHPian

Hi Bandhav,

Thanks for your advise wrt the pictures of the interior. I will definitely do that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I have not used any adapters for the alloys as these are 139.7 PCD alloys.

Regards

Jaskirat

Quote:
Jaskirat: Just checked out the Advert for the Jeep in the classified section, you mentioned there that Jeep is running on 16" alloys, are these 139.7 PCD ones or you have used adapters to mount more easily available 160 PCD ones.

Please also post some detailed interior shots here for our viewing pleasure and in advert to make it easier for the prospective buyers to make up their mind.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^What brand/make are these alloys? AFAIK sourcing 16"/139.7 PCD alloys is one mammoth task.

PS: Is that a Ritz in you DP? If yes what tyre/rim combination it's running on and please also guide me in case there are some better pictures of the same on the forum.
Old 4th October 2011, 23:24   #15
BHPian

The picture on my DP is that of my Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXi. I have MOMO Alloys. The model I have is Ten-S, which I imported from Italy through Kumars of Bangalore. These are 15" and when this picture was taken they were shod with Michellin Pilot Precedas (195/60/R15), but now I have Yokohama S-Drive (195/65/R15).

You can get better pictures of Momo at their official website www.momo.it. There is a thread on the forum dedicated to Wheels / Tyres. You will find it useful.

Surprisingly I did not have any trouble getting the 16" alloys for the MM550. The dealer claims he had arranged these for someone's Gypsy, but the guy apparently backed out. As per the dealer, these are Plati.

Regards

Jaskirat

PS. The testimony to the quality of these alloys is that after running over 30,000 kms the total balancing weight on these is 25 grams i.e., all four wheels put together.

Quote:
^^What brand/make are these alloys? AFAIK sourcing 16"/139.7 PCD alloys is one mammoth task.

PS: Is that a Ritz in you DP? If yes what tyre/rim combination it's running on and please also guide me in case there are some better pictures of the same on the forum.

Last edited by Jaskirat : 4th October 2011 at 23:40.

Most Viewed