Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:17   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540

Got the engine oil, oil filter, air filter, and diesel filter changed.

Engine Oil: ~1400
Air Filter: ~350
Diesel Filter: ~150
Oil Filter: ~300

Also, got the wheel bearings for all four wheels changed and a cylinder for a wheel. Cost me ~650 for each wheel. ie. cost ~2600.

In addition to that, got the wiper blades changed and greased all four wheel hubs.

Wiper blades: 190
Grease: ~250.

Labour for all this: 700.

The belts, hoses et al where fine.

Let me hope this take me to Kerala.
Old 25th October 2011, 02:14   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jeep was slightly overheating to ~95C, in traffic.

Flushed/Cleaned the radiator, and fitted a radiator shroud. Things are back to 'assi' (80C) now.

Total damage:
Radiator Flush/clean: 300
Radiator Shroud: 400
Old 26th October 2011, 08:02   #33
BHPian

[quote=dhanushs;2555459]
Also, got the wheel bearings for all four wheels changed and a cylinder for a wheel. Cost me ~650 for each wheel. ie. cost ~2600.

QUOTE]

Hi Dhanushs,

Iam following your thread closely for all the repairs and cost expenditure; Is it a must immediately to change the bearings?

Thanks
Sreeni
Old 27th October 2011, 02:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriny_blr View Post
Iam following your thread closely for all the repairs and cost expenditure; Is it a must immediately to change the bearings?
Hi Srini, its not really necessary to immediatly change the bearings. btw, whist service you will have to grease it removing all four hubs, and then, you can check if its OK. If not change it.

----------------------------

Dear bhp'ns also, started the journey towards Kerala. Now halfway, @Goa. Till now absolutely no breakdowns. Will update the trip in detail lateron.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 17:36   #35
BHPian

First of all a hearty congrats on possessing a blueblooded jeep .
Now coming to the alloy wheels ,didnot you faced problems as P.C.D of MM 540 must be 139 and most of alloys are of 160 pcd.I also have got a MM 540 of 1996 model and my baby is also cajoling me for new pair of shoes .
Old 29th October 2011, 20:55   #36
BHPian

Dhanushs ->
That was a fast one , two weeks from purchase to Long trip ,
Could you sumarize all the cost you incured till date along with the RTO charges ,
that could be a fast guide line to new jeepers .
Congrats again .
Old 31st October 2011, 19:30   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
First of all a hearty congrats on possessing a blueblooded jeep .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Congrats again .
Thanks guys!!..
Quote:
Now coming to the alloy wheels ,didnot you faced problems as P.C.D of MM 540 must be 139 and most of alloys are of 160 pcd.I also have got a MM 540 of 1996 model and my baby is also cajoling me for new pair of shoes .
Not really, the tyre shop had the exact fit alloys in 16 inchers, and a design which I liked. So, i went for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Could you sumarize all the cost you incured till date along with the RTO charges
The repair costs, I have mentioned in my previous posts. And the RTO charges, till now, I have paid 1500 for the NOC. Now, yet to register it in my state. I will post those in detail too.

----------------------------------------------------------

btw, guys, and update!..

Reached home safe and sound!. Completed a ~1500 km journey in my new JEEP! A detailed report on the trip with pics will follow soon.

The route undertaken by the three of US!. I must say, I just got lucky, driving the unknown machine for this long, but then, as they say, take the necessary precautions for and while the journey, and your machine will never fail you.

Name:  My Route.png
Views: 3237
Size:  149.2 KB

A teaser!

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-resize-wizard1-copy.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:44   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

After reaching home, I got the front left leaf sets re-cambered. Was thinking of getting all the four done, but didnt have enough time. Also, there was a crack in the silencer, near the manifold. Got it welded.

Total cost:

Welding: 200
Lead Recamber, and some niggles: 230.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear bhp'ns, now, the hunt for 4x4 accessories begin. What I would essentially need is.

1. Thar Di Differential,
2. 53" Axel,
3. Dics,
4. T-18 TC,
5. 51" (?) 540 rear right aligned differential,
6. Propeller shafts

... and some miscellaneous stuff. Where would be the best place in Kerala/Mysore/Bangalore to source and fit these? Reliability of the workmanship is of PRIME concern.
Old 9th November 2011, 18:56   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear bhp'ns: Please find my humble travelogue, when I have/will record the entire journey, from Mumbai-Kerala and the issues faced.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bie-jeepr.html
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 10:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

After returning from Bombay, or rather after the purchase, the Jeep has completed about ~4500 kms!. It was strange noticing it today. The Jeep now handles all the daily short runs for purchases, the daily morning and evening run to our plantation and all the load carrying tasks. Blame it on the petrol prices, my IKON is rarely taken out, other than to church.

All along these runs, the though of removing the HT was being discussed to death!. It was making hell lot of noise, and was heavy. But, it was safe, and we could lock it. It did not look good, but it was practical. Well, last Saturday, it was my sisters daughters baptism and we had to take some goods to her house... and.. that was the end of the HT vs Softtop confusion. We had to remove the HT to accommodate the goods.

After the removal of HT: Well, right now, the Jeep runs on no-top. Apart from the killer looks, I feel that the handling too has improved. Also, as the weight is now off board, the FE too should increase a bit.

Other works done: Got the other three leaf springs re-cambered, changed the bushes, and refit them with grease in between each leaf. The overall sound or the squeak is very less now. Got the Fender Flares fitted.

Total labor: 1000 bucks. 600 for recambering the leaf springs and 400 for Fender flares.

Parts: Bushes worth 300 bucks. .

Overall, now.. I'm really happy with the Jeep, especially after removing the HT. There is little sound, the Jeep handle well, and is atleast driveable.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:56   #41
BHPian

Hi dhanushs,

First of all congrats on your buy and it was really nice to read through your travel log. Now that you hae removed the HT, i think it is time for some pictures of the jeep without the HT.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 24th November 2011, 14:39   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Other works done: Got the other three leaf springs re-cambered, changed the bushes, and refit them with grease in between each leaf.
After a couple of 100 kms , check all the concerned nut bolts , Particularly the U clamps .

Reason , when the leaves are assembled with grease , the film tends to thin away after some use & the U clamp nuts can be tightened up again to half a turn to some two full turns , It happens .

Now if you do attend to this , be assured for a longer period of time , even to the next overhaul of it .

we call it 'Ek haath fir se marna '

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 11:13   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu4222 View Post
First of all congrats on your buy and it was really nice to read through your travel log. Now that you hae removed the HT, i think it is time for some pictures of the jeep without the HT.
Thanks Raghu. And YES, pictures without HT will definitely come!!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Reason , when the leaves are assembled with grease , the film tends to thin away after some use & the U clamp nuts can be tightened up again to half a turn to some two full turns , It happens .
Thanks Sudarshan JEE. Its really good to have you around!
Old 25th November 2011, 21:09   #44
BHPian

well I am also thinking on the lines of removing the hard top from my jeep. It makes me really thrilled to dream about my baby going top less.
Jeeping is too much of heart over mind matter to think about the practicalities of jeeping,no offence intended.
I have resisted this itch for too long ,now its high time i indulge.
As an after thought , i am keeping the hard top for future
regards
Praveen Singh
Old 25th November 2011, 22:55   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It makes me really thrilled to dream about my baby going top less.
Jeeping is too much of heart over mind matter to think about the practicalities of jeeping,no offence intended.
blueblodded, wait till you see my baby naked!!.. .. The wind on the hair experience cant be conveyed by typing!!.

You gotta be on the back of the Jeep (note: not driving) and stand up at say, @ 8:00PM through the chilly cold forests, where you see the elephants, peacocks, hunks and what more!!..

Quote:
As an after thought , i am keeping the hard top for future
Of course.. Please don't throw it away. Nothing beats the practicality of a HT in a Jeep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks