Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 13:17   #76
BHPian

Re: Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dhanush,

When the soft top is streched over the frame it will turn out exactly like the shape in the below pic. Make it sectional where the rear half comes off from B pillar.

Spike,

Without additional pipes, this one doubles up as a roll bar and soft top frame. Advantage.
Regards,

Attachment 856879
@fazalaliadil,

Those tyres look good, are they good for on road and offroad usage.? which brand make are they please.!!

Regards
Old 16th December 2011, 13:37   #77
BHPian

Dhanush,
With good quality SRF, your top may look like this. I used 2 nylon belts from the rear to the windshield top and it doesn't sag . It may be much hotter than canvas for use in hot places in summer though. Works for my place since its cooler and also does a good job during our rainy days here.

hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-dsc06593.jpg  

johannes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 13:47   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I am a noobie man, why do you think I am asking questions? To learn.
Aha.. such humblicity doesn't match you Pratheesh'e. You are leagues ahead of me, and hence an 'expert'. Better educate me soon, or else you'll have to hear more of this!.

btw, the Jeep is slightly overheating when driven through ghats for say.. about 10-15kms. Right now, the mech told me, I'm having a 3 coil radiator, and it would be better if I put on a 4 coil radiator. However, installing the extra coolant reservoir tank with a pressure cap, wasn't advised. Not sure why.

Could you please advice on this regard?

Thanks,

Dhanush
Old 16th December 2011, 15:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
btw, the Jeep is slightly overheating when driven through ghats for say.. about 10-15kms. Right now, the mech told me, I'm having a 3 coil radiator, and it would be better if I put on a 4 coil radiator. However, installing the extra coolant reservoir tank with a pressure cap, wasn't advised. Not sure why.

Dhanush
Can you check is there any air bubbles in your radiator while giving accelerator ?

- Sreejesh
Old 16th December 2011, 15:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush, for Radiator people generally prefer "bigger the better" while it is true to an extent, it may not be the reason for overheating. So please diagnose what is causing the overheating rather than treating the symptom, I hope you got my point.

Spike
Old 16th December 2011, 15:30   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Can you check is there any air bubbles in your radiator while giving accelerator ?
Nope.. no air bubbles in radiator, no froth in oil, no oil in water.

but, yes.. there is some blow by smoke through oil filler cap. But I guess the engine can run for a year, after which may be swapped/upgraded.

Spike, I'm experiencing slight loss of compression, and hence the blow by air. I this is the cause of overheating, as the engine has to work much harder.

But, the reason I asked was.. In future, I might go on and plonk in an AC, so need to be sure that the 4 coil (larger) radiator was actually worth it. Also, one more simple question.

How about fitting a zen/esteem fan on the front of the radiator?
Old 16th December 2011, 21:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

How did you check the loss of compression and how is the smoke? AC in your Jeep if not properly done will affect the reliability. As rightly said by Arka somewhere "It is a sure shot way of destroying the reliability (whatever present) of a stock M&M Jeep", I fully endorse this view.

Spike
Old 16th December 2011, 21:13   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
How did you check the loss of compression and how is the smoke?
I did not check the compression. But, isnt it a known fact that, if there is smoke through the oil filler cap, the piston rings are leaking.? And hence loss of compression?
Quote:
AC in your Jeep if not properly done will affect the reliability. As rightly said by Arka somewhere "It is a sure shot way of destroying the reliability (whatever present) of a stock M&M Jeep", I fully endorse this view.
True.. and, thats why, that.. would be the last work I would like to carry out on my Jeep.

The priority of work is as follows:
1. Soft Top
2. Body
After which Registration.
3. Paint
4. 4x4
5. Steering and suspension upgrade, if needed.
6. Engine
7. AC
Old 16th December 2011, 21:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

^^That is a crude way, was checking if you got it done with a mechanic using compression gauge.

Spike
Old 17th December 2011, 16:39   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Right now, the mech told me, I'm having a 3 coil radiator, and it would be better if I put on a 4 coil radiator. However, installing the extra coolant reservoir tank with a pressure cap, wasn't advised. Not sure why. Could you please advice on this regard? Thanks, Dhanush
Dear Dhanush - I am reading the MH02BQ8126 story here as well as in the travelogues section. Some comments:

1. Please do not do non-standard things to your vehicle. That great set of pipes which you have installed at the back will do absolutely nothing to enhance looks or reliability. If at all, in the long run, they shall become a liability. There is a correct way to install pipes in a Jeep. What you have done is exactly what should not be done.

2. In your quote above, the key words are "the mechanic told me". Laws of physics do not change because a "mechanic told you". Water boils at 100 degrees C at atmospheric pressure at sea level. Period. As system pressure increases, boiling point rises, whatever any mechanic may say. Without casting doubts on the capability of anybody, I have known these guys for ages. They say this because in most vehicles, as soon as you pressurize the system, something or the other leaks out as system reliability of the base vehicle is extremely poor. Even if you as a customer wants good system reliability and you are ready to pay your mechanic for it, he will not do it because he has to first unlearn the incorrect things before he can learn the correct things and implement them for you. Please check your cooling system for reliability, means that the radiator and hoses must be in proper working order. You can also add a degassing tank by using an Indica tank and plumb the system accordingly. Tell me if you want it, I'll guide you in totality but it must be done perfectly or not at all. It is not every technician's job because even after explaining perfectly, I have experienced that 9 guys out of 10 go out and do exactly what should not be done. I shudder to think what they will do to the Thar CRDE as time progreses.

3. Your issue of crankcase blow-by, the XDP4.90 engine is a "wet liner" engine. This means that the coolant actually touches the outer walls of the liner in which the piston reciprocates. The repair process is very simple. Just change the "liner kit". This consists of 4 new liners with new pistons. Remove the old parts, throw them out, put new parts which are pre-machined to engineering specifications, your engine becomes new. The advantage is that there is no need to rebore the block which in any case becomes a questionable process, depending on who does it. As you are in Kerala, I will recommend you get this thing done through TVS Cochin and use only Mahindra genuine parts. Please do not give such a job to the unorganized sector.

Please PM me your mobile number.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 21:54   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir.. To me, it's an honor to have you comment on my humble thread.

As you might have read, I'm a complete n00by when it comes to Jeeps. This one was bought and is built ONLY because of my extreme passion and desire towards Jeeps. So please excuse if any questions sound n00by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There is a correct way to install pipes in a Jeep. What you have done is exactly what should not be done.
I never thought that there would be a correct way to install pipes! Could you please share the right way, and also the disadvantages of the method followed by me? I will post more pics of the installation for you to comment.
Quote:
because he has to first unlearn the incorrect things before he can learn the correct things and implement them for you.
Very true. The quality of workmanship I have till date encountered with regard to my Jeep is mostly jugaad. You need to get lucky for the outcome to be right, except for some simple mechanical tasks like re-cambering the leaf sets, etc. For example, I have a left pulling problem while braking, which is not sorted out till now, and somehow, I'm starting to live with it.. lol!!.. They say, its the Jeep thing.

As my personal solution, I'm planning to replace all 4 cylinders of the front wheel. Lets see how it works.

Quote:
You can also add a degassing tank by using an Indica tank and plumb the system accordingly. Tell me if you want it, I'll guide you in totality but it must be done perfectly or not at all.
Yes, I want to add the degassing tank, which I guess is a more proper way to cool the engine than the reservoir tank set up (like in the 800)? Please share the procedure with me! Umm.. does the Major/Thar Di come with degassing tank? If so, I can visually see the system.
Quote:
The repair process is very simple...
.... get this thing done through TVS Cochin and use only Mahindra genuine parts.
I'm not immediately planning to carry out the job, as apart from the blow by smoke, I do not have any other issues. The engine even cranks up the 1st time in cold wayanad wee hours. There is slight power loss, but is barely noticeable other than when lugging the engine, which is very much manageable. But, yes.. When I go for it, I will make sure to use genuine parts, and employ skilled and organized labor.
Quote:
Please PM me your mobile number.
Done!

Last edited by dhanushs : 17th December 2011 at 22:07.
Old 18th December 2011, 15:27   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

A silly thought on a lazy Sunday afternoon..

Which is better? Left or Right?

Got JEEP??.. Hell Yeah.. My MM540-resize-wizard1-copy.jpg
Old 19th December 2011, 14:48   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir.. To me, it's an honor to have you comment on my humble thread. I'm a complete nooby when it comes to Jeeps. This one was bought and is built ONLY because of my extreme passion and desire towards Jeeps. So please excuse if any questions sound nooby.
Dear Dhanushs - thanks for your above comments. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job, albeit with a very minor difference. Call it God's gift, core competence, unique ability or whatever you may want to, but I happen to understand the vehicle completely. I guess I am also lucky to work in the correct job in the correct company at the correct time, so I can experiment for free, which I have been quietly doing for years! .

I also know that there are a lot of enthusiastic guys like you out there who want to use Jeeps properly and they genuinely look for guidance. They don't get proper guidance due to many reasons, this is not the forum to discuss those issues. In all this confusion (which I stay away from), if I can help you to make the correct decisions, it is my pleasure to help you, that's all.

I don't think you are a nooby at all. You seem to have the correct analytical capability of looking at a vehicle problem and setting things right otherwise you would not have mentioned "replacing wheel cylinders" as the solution to your brake problem. What you have mentioned is partially correct. First, analyse the issue. Conduct a "why-why" analysis in your mind. When does the vehicle swerve? When brakes are applied. Why does it swerve when brakes are applied? Because one brake acts more than the other. What else can lead to this phenomenon? Incorrect wheel orientation / frictional characteristics. What are the factors that lead to uneven output? Suspension parameters. What are they? Caster, KPI, ride height, wheel bearing preload. Brake parameters. Jammed wheel cylinders, unequal diameter of wheel cylinders (very common root cause!), uneven frictional characteristics of brake liners, pinched brake bundy pipes, bulging brake hoses, contaminated brake fluid, etc etc etc. Now, analyse further, find out the root cause and correct it. Only this approach can solve vehicle problems. Everything else results in either a hit or a miss.

Best of luck! I'll call you as time permits. By the way, the left tail light looks more "Jeepish", so it's better!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - save enough money and buy the Thar CRDe. You will forget everything else, and that's my promise to you! .
Old 20th December 2011, 12:56   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please do not give such a job to the unorganized sector.
Behram, this is easily said than done. Jeepers in big cities have no choice but go to unorganized sector. The Mahindra workshops wouldn't take in a Jeep in most urban places. And Mahindra workshop costs twice as expensive for the same work, I know it by experience. Remember how I had to give my Jeep in a remote village for rebuild.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 14:05   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - thanks for raising this point. I hold my comment that "please don't go to the unorganized sector". Let me explain. By "unorganized sector", I mean the "under the tree" sort of guys who hold the unbroken record of not adhering to any process, any timeline and any quality parameter for any vehicle on which they work. Also, dealerships are not the only organized sector guys out there. I am delighted to mention the names of two places, Swadi Automobiles and Select Auto Works, both in Mumbai who can show a lot to dealerships on how to work on a car and how to delight customers so that they become brand ambassadors for life. Swadi Automobiles is run by my mentor, Mr.Anand (Dada) Swadi and Select Auto Works is run by my very dear friend Sunil Shanbhag. I swear by Dada's and Sunil's quality of work which dealerships can at least aspire to match, after they come out of filling the plethora of forms which they fill now. No wonder, the dealership did not take your CL340 because form filling cannot not repair your Jeep, they know at least this much.

Dada Swadi - in 1992, Dada telephoned me and understood the exact process to set the timing belt for the Premier Padmini 137D Diesel car. We talked on the telephone for close to two hours, the next day I went to Swadi Automobiles, explained the basic design limitations in the production design and we fabricated a bracket derived out of the VW Golf FIP mounting bracket and fitted it on the customer's car to solve the problem once and for all. That's Dada's perfection for you! That's why he is my mentor.

Sunil Shanbhag - we took part in the Himalayan Rally in 1983. The Jeep (MAR2840) in which we took part went through a "general check-up" at Sunil's workshop, which took 10 days to complete and we corrected around 30 parameters. During the 3500 gruelling kilometers that we covered, our service cars only added water to the windshield washer bottle. That's all. The vehicle ran perfectly. There was no need to open the bonnet eccept to fill windshield washer water. That's Sunil Shanbhag's excellence for you!

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed