Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 10:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: '86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...Any issues with the bell housing, or did jugaad come into the picture? How was the experience mating the 5 speed <-> transfer case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
...How simple or complicated was the process for mating that 5 speed box and transfer case?
This jeep has the same configuration on engine-gbox-t.case front (as of now) as mine (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-440-a.html), the 1st one that renegade got done. The complete isuzu line-up with 1.8 engine + trooper gearbox_with _isuzu transfer case (combined) made things 'bolt-on' simple with no 'jugaad' whatsoever in between, just the new mounts had to be fabricated, as renegade already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
...He is one of the few persons who creates with lots of passion. He is a M.F Hussian of Jeeps.
lol....next time when you see renegade taking Hussain's name, just note the context and situation
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:02   #17
BHPian

Hi Renegade,

Excellent jeep. Simplistic looks with attention to detail.

Better than your last blue monster IMHO. That looked a bit of hot rod owing to its tapering windscreen and low stance, this one is all muscle. Btw do you still have it? Where do you keep finding the 440's. I thought only a hand-full were built by Mahindra.

The front bumper is drool mall, incorporating a set of small circular fog lamps near the tow hooks would have further enhanced the look. The rear bumper looks like it has been given a step motherly treatment but will reserve my comment till I see pics with the spare mount.

Where can one find those rear views? Did you order them from abroad?

Just one hitch I can see. The clearance between the front fenders and tires is not adequate. I can bet that they will get ripped off on the first obstacle you do offroad cross axled with steering locked to one side. Knowing you this cant be a show vehicle, the baby's gotta offroad so please look into it.

Looking forward to how you plan to put that kind of power (V6) on road and what to you plan to do about chassis, braking, handling and gearbox / transmission. That much power can easily shear off your axles in off road conditions.

cheers

vishwas
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hi Renegade,

Excellent jeep. Simplistic looks with attention to detail.

Better than your last blue monster IMHO. That looked a bit of hot rod owing to its tapering windscreen and low stance, this one is all muscle. Btw do you still have it? Where do you keep finding the 440's. I thought only a hand-full were built by Mahindra.

The front bumper is drool mall, incorporating a set of small circular fog lamps near the tow hooks would have further enhanced the look. The rear bumper looks like it has been given a step motherly treatment but will reserve my comment till I see pics with the spare mount.

Where can one find those rear views? Did you order them from abroad?

Just one hitch I can see. The clearance between the front fenders and tires is not adequate. I can bet that they will get ripped off on the first obstacle you do offroad cross axled with steering locked to one side. Knowing you this cant be a show vehicle, the baby's gotta offroad so please look into it.

Looking forward to how you plan to put that kind of power (V6) on road and what to you plan to do about chassis, braking, handling and gearbox / transmission. That much power can easily shear off your axles in off road conditions.

cheers

vishwas
Good to see you again on forum vishwas,yes,you are absolutely right,this one is pure muscle but not flexing all the time.I guess you did not go through the whole thread,i mentioned earlier as well that the jeep has gone under a spoa treatment with twin KYB gas shocks in each side with custom made leaf springs,shackles,steering unit etc,the clearance now is immense,it has turned out to be a big foot i guess as far as the v6 engine transplant goes,i mentioned that too,i have the whole setup of engine+gearbox+ transfer-case +differentials(from v6 donor vehicle) + steering unit for the same,the braking is enough to stop the jeep since it would be lighter than the donor vehicle,more over,i don't need to floor the pedal to the metal every time,it is merely for my liking that whenever i need more power,i should have it.The jeep is at Raj Kapoor's workshop for the suspension upgrade as you were bang on target,it ripped the fenders apart since the tire size i am running currently is 33x12.50,after the v6 swap i might have to go for a bigger set.I wont take the jeep on the road till i am satisfied with the ride which should be safe enough to be on and off the road.will keep you posted.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:59   #19
BHPian

Took the jeep for a casual OTR with few friends,i was not aware of this new trail my friends found lately,so didnt inquire much about it,loaded the jeep with a high lift jack,water,fueled it up,packed the tool box and tow straps,gloves etc.The moment we hit the trail,it became extremely narrow,the rest of the gang were in their gypsy's and could get through the narrow track quite easily and my jeep had some tough time negotiating the ditches,the jeep was out with new paint and got scratched from all the sides because of the over growth of thorny trees,bushes etc,anyway,on one particular climb which was extremely tricky,jeep's rear wheel was free on the articulation and was not touching the ground,the front opposite wheel smashed the left fender and the flare,i had to winch myself up out of the rutt.The next morning,i could not stand the look of the jeep all scratched up so soon and leaning towards one side cause of the extreme articulation,now i didn't have time to go back to my factory in punjab and open up the jeep all over again,had some important work lined up in delhi.So at this point,Mr.Raj Kapoor comes in as the most experienced person and life saver,dropped the jeep at his place,had a quick talk about what i wanted to have for the time being(SPOA) as i might convert it to coils later after the v6 is transplanted.After few weeks i went to check the jeep,my jaw dropped after looking at it,now the 33inch tires look like a bicycle tire on the jeep,the jeep had an immense lift,need an escalator to climb in and out of it we then decided to drop it about 4inches as it was really looking too high and odd,stability was another major issue after changing the height,so a test was done before and after,the suitable ride height is being done now,hopefully the jeep would be back at home sooner.Attached is a picture which i took lately,please don't mind for the poor quality and the dust on the jeep,more over i could not click many as the jeep was set on the ramp for fabrications.

Here is the link to one of the captures,the bloody tree branch got stuck in the roll-cage and was restricting the jeep to go forward.

Attached Thumbnails
'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-rjeep1.jpg  

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-r9.jpg  

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-r6.jpg  

renegade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Noticed that the front fender was obstructing the tyre during acute articulation exercise, that should go with the SPOA.
Love the Jeep, love your passion and love the Free flow sound of a petrol engine. This thing is like Muhammed Ali, ............ It floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee......catch me if you can!! Great 4x4 vehicle mate! Keep it up!!

Last edited by V-16 : 2nd November 2011 at 17:19.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
,so a test was done before and after,the suitable ride height is being done now,hopefully the jeep would be back at home sooner
Could you elaborate on this please? Can you post pics of your propeller shaft / sliding yoke area also? Thanks!

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Could you elaborate on this please? Can you post pics of your propeller shaft / sliding yoke area also? Thanks!

Spike
After we did the SPOA,the jeep gained much more height than i would like to have on my rig,so we did a small run near by with the setup,and then dropped the height and did a small otr again and tested the jeep to a satisfactory result,Raj is an expert,so i don't go to his workshop everyday,so the details would be with him about lowering it again,all i know it would further come down once the springs settle down after few km with some load.Sorry cannot post the picture you asked for as i only clicked couple of them the last time i visited the workshop,will try to get some more next weekend.
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you did not go through the whole thread,i mentioned earlier as well that the jeep has gone under a spoa treatment with twin KYB gas shocks in each side with custom made leaf springs, shackles, steering unit etc,the clearance now is immense,it has turned out to be a big foot i guess
Guilty as charged. Yes I skimmed through the reading and ogled on the pics

Quote:

Here is the link to one of the captures,the bloody tree branch got stuck in the roll-cage and was restricting the jeep to go forward.
I guess the video was before the lift. I could tell as stock 550 with stock 31" tires fouls with the fenders. Mahindra has as an absolutely pathbreaking and technically sound solution has provided a cut in fenders of the later NGCS. Brilliant as always Mahindra.
Btw in the below pic is the jeep on lift or is it the actual lift? If thats the actual lift than you need to keep a step ladder with you. It is absolutely insane and would hover towards the non functional side with lots of issues with drive shaft angle and stability. I hope as per your post (I read this time) it is being brought down to sensible levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Spike
Yes please lots of underbody pics. How the shocks are mounted etc. we would be interested in what is being done for
  1. Drive shaft angle so as it does not slips out during extreme articulation
  2. Axle wrap
  3. Are the differentials put at an angle to compensate for drive shaft angle?

Kudos to your build.

cheers
vishwas
Attached Thumbnails
'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-rjeep1.jpg  

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 2nd November 2011 at 23:33. Reason: Pic came too big!
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Guilty as charged. Yes I skimmed through the reading and ogled on the pics

I guess the video was before the lift. I could tell as stock 550 with stock 31" tires fouls with the fenders. Mahindra has as an absolutely pathbreaking and technically sound solution has provided a cut in fenders of the later NGCS.
vishwas
Vishwas,the jeep had a 3inch body lift before the SPOA when the video was shot and it has a 33inch tire,though there is a huge lift now but will settle down after few km.The picture does not depict the real height,it will be lowered once the jeep is on the floor,since it was on the lift post,the jeep seems to have more height,more over,there is a roof rack with some storage which would come,bush wires,and the works,so more added weight will lower the lift a bit.Raj is expert in 4wd and suspension related stuff so i dont think there would be much of problem in rolling out the jeep,though a high-angle drive shaft/yoke system is also stored in the inventory for the time being.The angle of the diffs were calculated.Raj is thorough with his work and calculations,arjun's zuk is a prime example.Will keep you posted and get more clicks as the build goes on.
Old 16th November 2011, 13:54   #25
BHPian

Continuing the thread,i recently visited the workshop to check on the jeep,it looks more sane now but still has the genes of a monster truck,took the rig out for a spin for the first time after the upgrade to test the steering,suspension travel etc,and i came back pleased with the ride,though the suspension is a bit stiff at the rear since there is not enough weight behind,will load it up with spare mount,tire,jerry can,hi-lift jack,rear seat and then wait for few kms for suspension to settle down a bit more.Over all the ride is pretty good,i am pleased with the current state,but the actual test would be done on the trail where most of the problems would surface,keeping my fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-r11.jpg  

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-r12.jpg  

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-r13.jpg  

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-r15.jpg  

Old 16th November 2011, 14:40   #26
BHPian

Wow.. The Jeep is a Little Monster now. great work as usual.
Old 16th November 2011, 14:59   #27
Team-BHP Support

I feel rear is little too tall, should bring it down a couple of inches, or it might be a pain to handle while going downhill which is banked.
Old 16th November 2011, 15:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I feel rear is little too tall, should bring it down a couple of inches, or it might be a pain to handle while going downhill which is banked.
I know,i had the same concern as yours,but as i mentioned before as well,will have to wait for the actual load to suppress the springs further and reduce the hieght,there is almost no weight at the rear,lets see after some tests on trail things get better.But the ride is not bad at all which i doubted before so i am happy with the outcome,it would only get better from here.
Old 16th November 2011, 15:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

These are MM springs and they will not come down so easy with under 100 kg load. Do you really need such a long shackle, maybe that's the culprit?
Old 16th November 2011, 15:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
These are MM springs and they will not come down so easy with under 100 kg load. Do you really need such a long shackle, maybe that's the culprit?
These are not standard MM springs,these are custom made for this vehicle,Mr.Raj kapoor has done all the calculations of the payload and stuff,it does require the long shackles for better articulation as we tested out the smaller ones and the effect was not to my taste,on the other hand Mr.Raj kapoor is extremely well versed with 4wd suspension systems/designs as he has built numerous vehicles so afer all these months of testing with newer components i am happy with the ride,i tried some weight behind with some sacks filled with weight,test rode it,worked perfectly fine.

Last edited by renegade : 16th November 2011 at 15:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks