Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2011, 01:44   #1
BHPian

Model = MM440
YEAR = 1986
ENGINE = 1.8 ISUZU petrol (currently but a new v6 fuel injected is on its way)
TRANSMISSION = ISUZU 5 SPEED
TRANSFER CASE = ISUZU

Here goes some clicks.

Name:  rengine.jpg
Views: 8594
Size:  76.9 KB

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-rrear.jpg

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-rside.jpg

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-bluedevil1.jpg

'86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox-bluedevil2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2011 at 13:57. Reason: Merging both opening back-to-back posts
renegade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep 4x4

FInally 'the Jeep' is here. Honestly i haven't seen such a monsterous yet soothing jeep in person so far. Easily can be termed as a 'Q' class Jeep. May be some better angle will give idea about the height of the jeep! I am sure 'Tomahawk' sir will be pleased after seeing this in reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Model = MM440
YEAR = 1986
TRANSMISSION = ISUZU 5 SPEED
TRANSFER CASE = ISUZU
That looks like a really conservative description.
Old 30th October 2011, 11:23   #3
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
What v6 engine have you found? In a conversation with Rahul, I tried talking him into a bigger diesel but the Oil Sheikh is very sure about a Petrol!

Jeep looks great Renegade. Its going to make a good partner for "Free Spirit"
Old 30th October 2011, 11:27   #4
BHPian

renegade-wow thats one beautiful jeep ,congrats man, i just recently got a pair of wrangler rear lights for my jeep too. will be uploading pics very soon. check last pages of Goodbye to old faithful (MM540) hello to a new friend (Bolero Camper).
Old 30th October 2011, 16:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
.....In a conversation with Rahul, I tried talking him into a bigger diesel but the Oil Sheikh is very sure about a Petrol!...
lol...the very reason of picking up a rare model like 440 is to enjoy the benefits of a petrol jeep (barring the running cost). And tell you what renegade is very particular about that. Otherwise picking up a 540 or 550 etc etc would have been much more easier.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
What v6 engine have you found?
Thanks for liking the jeep,well as far as the engine is concerned,i already got one laying around in my factory.Its a 5vz-fe quad cam engine with complete gbox and transfer-case.Lets see how the project turns upto be.I am not fond of writing too many details so bare with me,will post some clicks as time goes by to give a fare idea of the ongoing project.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:48   #7
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Its a 5vz-fe quad cam engine with complete gbox and transfer-case
The specs of that engine are quite something! Wiki puts it at 183 bhp and 298 Nm torque. That's, well, a lot of power! How do you plan to take care of the handling and braking aspect post this engine mod?

Will easily become the most powerful Jeep(bhp-wise) in India I guess. Look forward to more in-progress pics.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 31st October 2011, 16:09   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: '86 Mahindra MM440 + 1.8 L Isuzu + 5 speed gearbox

Lovely Jeep, very tastefully done up. Congratulations.

Question : Your original thread title was "Jeep 4x4". What transfer case are you using? Any issues with the bell housing, or did jugaad come into the picture? How was the experience mating the 5 speed <-> transfer case?
Old 31st October 2011, 16:34   #9
BHPian

Fantastic work.

The Jeep looks very nice. I like the front bumper design and the wheel/tyre combination. The chequer plate wrap-arounds also look nice.

Though I might add that the tailgate gives an impression that it still needs some thought, and the roll bar appears tad too tall.

Overall an excellent Jeep. My compliments for a job well done.

Cheers

Jaskirat
Old 31st October 2011, 16:38   #10
Team-BHP Support

Excellent balanced stance! Looks mean but very pleasing to look at also. The minimalistic approach is really well executed. Do share more pics and details of the transmission etc

Congratz on a great build.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 17:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Fantastic work.

The Jeep looks very nice. I like the front bumper design and the wheel/tyre combination. The chequer plate wrap-arounds also look nice.

Though I might add that the tailgate gives an impression that it still needs some thought, and the roll bar appears tad too tall.

Overall an excellent Jeep. My compliments for a job well done.

Cheers

Jaskirat
thanks for appreciating the jeep,it is still not complete,the rear swing-away tire rack was removed before taking the pictures,which carries a tire ,hi-lift jack,two Jerry cans,every thing is thought of as the whole jeep with its assembly was designed first on a 3d software before any fabrication was started,roll cage is not the actual one as the new one is supposed to go in as this was temporary one to get the jeep back to Delhi from my factory,roll bar(stinger bumper) is fabricated keeping in mind the lift kit which is going in and for the purpose it is built,the dimensions were calculated before fabricating the actual one on incline/decline,given the tire size which would upgraded further to 35inch atleast.In this particular jeep,if we decreased the length of the stinger,it wont be of much use,it is perfect for rock crawling for this particular jeep.

Renegade
renegade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 17:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Excellent balanced stance! Looks mean but very pleasing to look at also. The minimalistic approach is really well executed. Do share more pics and details of the transmission etc

Congratz on a great build.
Thank you very much,really appreciate your kind comments,will definitely upload more pics as spring over axles have been done lately with twin KYB GR-2 long travel shocks on each side,will upload the latest clicks soon.

Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lovely Jeep, very tastefully done up. Congratulations.

Question : Your original thread title was "Jeep 4x4". What transfer case are you using? Any issues with the bell housing, or did jugaad come into the picture? How was the experience mating the 5 speed <-> transfer case?
Thanks GTO, i'm using Isuzu gearbox which came with Isuzu transfer-case out of a trooper,so no "jugaad",the engine and gearbox is a direct fit,only engine mounts and gearbox mount needs to be fabricated,i got almost everything in my factory so don't need to look for a workshop to carry the build,though in Delhi now,so getting the SPOA with custom leaf springs with twin shocks setup on each side from Mr.Raj Kapoor.

Quote:
The specs of that engine are quite something! Wiki puts it at 183 bhp and 298 Nm torque. That's, well, a lot of power! How do you plan to take care of the handling and braking aspect post this engine mod?
Well,i got a set of hilux differentials and steering unit as well which came with the engine and gearbox combo,I am not going to use all of that power all the time,though strengthening of chassis would be done,working on some cad designs with stress analysis to fabricate a final design later for the upgrade.I'm not in the race to produce a better jeep than others,this is something i had in mind which i wanted to do so i am building one.

Renegade

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st October 2011 at 18:06. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
renegade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 22:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa
FInally 'the Jeep' is here. Honestly i haven't seen such a monsterous yet soothing jeep in person so far. Easily can be termed as a 'Q' class Jeep. May be some better angle will give idea about the height of the jeep! I am sure 'Tomahawk' sir will be pleased after seeing this in reality

That looks like a really conservative description.
Soumen. What Tomahawk Sir. Please dont sir me. I will love whatever Mandeep creates. He is one of the few persons who creates with lots of passion. He is a M.F Hussian of Jeeps.
Old 31st October 2011, 22:41   #14
Team-BHP Support

Beautiful, just love the look!
About that 5vz-fe quad cam engine (I suppose it's a Toyota). Did you get that from Delhi or from some other state?
Same question as GTO follows too.. How simple or complicated was the process for mating that 5 speed box and transfer case?
Old 1st November 2011, 10:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Beautiful, just love the look!
About that 5vz-fe quad cam engine (I suppose it's a Toyota). Did you get that from Delhi or from some other state?
Same question as GTO follows too.. How simple or complicated was the process for mating that 5 speed box and transfer case?
Thanks for liking the jeep,yes,you are absolutely right,the 5vz-fe is a yota engine with R-151 yota gearbox/transfer combo.I had it imported sometime back from Malaysia with some other parts as well.As far as the current engine/transmission combo goes(isuzu),it is not at all hard to install one,as the gearbox/transfer case is a direct bolt on for the Isuzu 4ZB1 petrol 1.8 engine.Only the mounting part and engine alignment are some areas to look at carefully.

Renegade
renegade is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks