Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Gypsied!

A couple of years back, I went to get my 4x4 TC of my safari checked at Sarjapur Bed lake. That OTR gave me goose bumps which faded when my wife blasted after looking at her injured truck. Again the TC was in action when were stuck in a slush somewhere in Wayanad: First to get a tavera out and then ourselves. The third time was in the sand dunes of the Jaisalmer, where with my limited knowledge of off-roading, I somehow got stuck and somehow got out! Wanted more now!!!!

So I ended up with this and don't need my wife's car (she paid half the money as a bargain)!

Jaggu helped me all along! First of all he recognized me from that OTR and then helped me through out get my mini truck: A a couple teasers as of now. Will post my experience as and when I get some time . Again, thanks a ton Jaggu!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsied!-dsc_0296.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0306.jpg  

bantejas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 12:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Gypsied!

Congratulations ! Excellent looking Gypsy you got there Bantejas.
Btw, which Lights are those, they really look mean !!
Old 15th November 2011, 13:20   #3
BANNED

Dude, the Gypsy looks lovely and clean. Please let us know how you came cross this and how much it cost and who helped you in this deal.

I am sitting on the sidelines watching all you guys getting your hands on Gypsy, my hands have been itching for some time but unfortunately haven't come across one in Bangalore which is well maintained and doesn't cost a bomb.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Congratulations ! Excellent looking Gypsy you got there Bantejas.
Btw, which Lights are those, they really look mean !!
Thanks! Those are Iron Man lights. Came along with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Dude, the Gypsy looks lovely and clean. Please let us know how you came cross this and how much it cost and who helped you in this deal.

I am sitting on the sidelines watching all you guys getting your hands on Gypsy, my hands have been itching for some time but unfortunately haven't come across one in Bangalore which is well maintained and doesn't cost a bomb.
Will update this thread once I get some quality time. My writing skills are amazingly bad and so will take a little longer than required.
Btw, got this from a zac's reference (Guess you are not the same zaks). Awesome chap! Had called him for something else and then landed with something else !

tejas
Old 15th November 2011, 15:40   #5
BHPian

Tejas,

That is a lovely, clean purposeful Gypsy you have there, congratulations.

The level of kit on it is quite impressive. Did you get a stock one and add them later or did she come to you in this shape?
Old 15th November 2011, 15:49   #6
BHPian

Sweet looking ride. is the snorkel a DIY or aftermarket one? Congratulations & enjoy!!
Old 15th November 2011, 16:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting the Gypsy bantejas. As others have mentioned that the Gypsy looks neat & well taken care of. What model is it and how much run? How much did you pay for it?

Do you plan to put in a Winch for your Gypsy? I see a winch ready bumper in there. What all have you planned as modifications for the Gypsy?

Also, do share costs/plans for transferring to a KA-reg number (if you plan to change the number)
Old 15th November 2011, 16:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Woah Tejas! Congrats!

Vehicle looks neat; with Jaggu being there, I am sure the mechanical would also be neat.

Go on - out with the purchase story.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
(she paid half the money as a bargain)!
bantejas,

Congratulations and welcome to the 4X4 world in your own ride.
The Gypsy seems to be very well maintained by the previous owner.

Now, I too am now inspired to try for some bargains and clinches from my better half and hope to be half as lucky.
Regards,
Old 15th November 2011, 17:50   #10
BHPian

As it turned out, I really started following all the 4x4 excursion threads with a lot of interest. Seriously wanted to buy a vehicle which I could use as a second vehicle at home (thanks to the number of time my truck went to TASS) as well as participate in some of the OTRs, and so, the hunt began.

The choices were between two families Mahindra and Zuki (was hoping jimny to be launched as well). Mahindra Thar and a brand new gypsy would have pinched hard. So settled to get a second hand gypsy.

So then, saw a couple of gypsies, all 410s, but then wasn't happy with their pricing. Then for while I thought of using the safari as a regular off roader and got the number of Zac(without my wife's knowledge) for upgrades. Didn't get a positive response from him, but got a number for a 2004 MG413w 69k on ODO which was on sale. Now this was around 3 months back. This was a Unnao registered Gypsy maintained by a cop. I am from Kanpur and so thought of pulling some strings to find out about it's previous owner, couldn't get any info though. This was bought by a person in Bangalore who got the registration done in Bangalore and I now I have just get the number. As of now I am planning on keeping it as a UP reg wonly!

Jaggu helped me a lot over the PMs and the e-mails and finally I thought that I should go ahead and buy it even if I had to shell out a few extra bucks! I surely is lesser than a first hand gypsy/thar.

The bangalore owner modded the gypsy with his own taste which appeared pretty simple and nice to me. The winch guard, snorkel, bucket seats, iron man aux lights and suspensions! Not that I wanted all these mods, but then what the heck, I can strip apart and sell it for a decent price if I don't feel the necessity. Brand new tyres are BFGs brand new all five of them, I've to put them on test. Negotiations started but that guy just didn't budge down! Also, it has a brand new canopy and a new steering! Did I forget about the two speakers and a HU? Not a bad deal in the end, but now I just hope that petrol prices comes down .

Took it to the MASS and these were the observations:
1. Engine in an excellent condition.
2. Tinkering needs to be done. Will get it done after a few days.
3. Clutch overhaul maybe required.

I haven't planned any mods as of now. I first need to know the car, learn off-roading and it's nuances before which I can start thinking on those lines. I am not putting a winch now simply because I don't have money and I do not know which ones to go for etc.

Some more photos . Took all of these the day first I laid my eyes on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Gypsied!-dsc_0297.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0298.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0299.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0300.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0301.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0302.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0303.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0304.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0305.jpg  

Gypsied!-dsc_0309.jpg  

bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 17:57   #11
BHPian

Welcome to the Gypsy world. May you be blessed with the bumpiest rides and awestruck looks everywhere you thread . Now offroading will be a simple as burning the clutch off the baby!!!
Old 15th November 2011, 19:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a bad deal in the end, but now I just hope that petrol prices comes down .
your prayers have been answered, Petrol is cheaper by 2.35 Rs now.

I wish you could have said about Petrol being free than just getting cheaper.

so Enjoy the Gypsy

congrats.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

That a clean mean machine that you have got yourself. The mods are subtle and the car means business. Congrats.

Looking forward to more pics and a more detailed thread about your car.

PS: Get some alloys for those wheels and don't bother about the rest as the car looks complete as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I wish you could have said about Petrol being free than just getting cheaper.
Wish your wish came true
Old 15th November 2011, 21:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As it turned out, I really started following all the 4x4 excursion threads with a lot of interest. Seriously wanted to buy a vehicle which I could use as a second vehicle at home (thanks to the number of time my truck went to TASS) as well as participate in some of the OTRs, and so, the hunt began.

====================
Some more photos . Took all of these the day first I laid my eyes on it!
Hi, good to see this beauty, pls spray NEW engine oil on the leaf springs , they seems to be rusting and maybe making sqweeks when driven around.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th November 2011 at 10:14. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts. Thanks.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Now, I too am now inspired to try for some bargains and clinches from my better half and hope to be half as lucky.
Regards,
Hehe.. It wasn't too hard for me as she was dead scared of me flicking off her truck... All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Sweet looking ride. is the snorkel a DIY or aftermarket one? Congratulations & enjoy!!
This was done by Zac for the previous owner if I am not wrong .

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Congrats on getting the Gypsy bantejas. As others have mentioned that the Gypsy looks neat & well taken care of. What model is it and how much run? How much did you pay for it?

Do you plan to put in a Winch for your Gypsy? I see a winch ready bumper in there. What all have you planned as modifications for the Gypsy?

Also, do share costs/plans for transferring to a KA-reg number (if you plan to change the number)
2004, 70k on the odo when I bought. I will put the winch once i get to know a few more things about it and the car by itself. No mods as of now as I don't have any idea on each of the mod, the way it works.
Will let you know about the transfer if I get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi, good to see this beauty, pls spray NEW engine oil on the leaf springs , they seems to be rusting and maybe making sqweeks when driven around.
Need to take it to the MASS on this weekend. Lets see what that guy has to say about it. Or is there a better mechanic whom I can go to in Bangy?
Others: Thanks a ton for the wishes!!!

Most Viewed