Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 10:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video : A Modified Mahindra Thar. H-O-T

Utterly gorgeous! I am not a big 4X4 kinda guy but modded jobs like this make the heart go boing!

Surprised to find I could follow a lot of the Malayalam commentary! But isn't the owner saying something about hardtop making it easier for AC install in the beginning? Has he actually installed an AC in there?
Old 25th December 2011, 12:27   #32
SRK
Senior - BHPian

One of the best looking modified jeeps, I've seen.

Guy must have spent a fortune in 1st getting a Thar and then spending more on modifications.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

There is something funny in this program. In the opening shot the male anchor refers as the owner is from Kottayam whereas subsequently the female voice over says that the owner is from Thrissur.
The rear sticker reads Jee only and no P; is it that way for the wrangler?

@noopster Yes the voice over confirms the air conditioning.
The owner says that he spent Rs 2.5 lacs for the body work and Rs 1.1 lac each for the interiors and the tires.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th December 2011 at 12:49.
Old 30th January 2012, 10:30   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanam View Post
Sorry.

His number is 9846075551.

At present I am not at Trichur. Will try to get some pics during x mas vacation.He told me work is in progress on another Thar.
Hi Niranjanam,
Please send more pics, we guys are eagerly waiting ..
Rajith
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Smart Drive22.flv - YouTube

Friends,

Please find a nicely modded thar from Kottayam, which was highlighted in today's auto show program in Asianet TV.

Moderators: If the post is not in the right place, please move it.
Could you please post some pics as well.
Thanks !
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:34   #36
BHPian

A well modded jeep.The hardtop looks perfect! The team that worked on it deserves to be congratulated. Would love to see some pics.
Regards,
Ashphil
Old 4th February 2012, 00:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

A very tastefully done Vehicle. What Mahindra should have done for a 7.5 lac car in the first place.

i know there are many blind fans of Thar around here in our forum. But the concept was very nice by DB sir, but the finished product is just crappy.

I mean who puts a stick on indicator cluster on the fenders in a car that cost so much. Mahindra did not even bother to change the dye. That gap on below the windshield is plane ugly.

Check Hyderabad Jeep body builders have done a great job at copying Kaiser panels.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th February 2012 at 00:25.
Old 4th February 2012, 16:44   #38
BHPian

What a bind blowing Thar!!. A piece of Art rather.
Kudos to the guy who has driven this project.
Each and every mod visible was done very tastefully and meticulously. Hope to see it in flesh!

Some still photography would be a feast !

Unfortunately, such fitness and refinement cannot be achieved in our regular Indian OEM Mass production.

Quality of finishing oogles from all the angles in the video.The HT, the fenders, the bumpers, the hood clamps, the alloy and tyre selection. 'Just Awesome' is the word.

Awaiting for actual Jeep's availability in India!
Old 4th February 2012, 17:20   #39
BHPian

AC can be fixed in any Thar for around 35K.

I guess the owner has fitted "A B D" which is some sort of circuit to enhance braking efficiency. This modification is being done near Paravoor, Kerala IIRC.
Old 13th February 2012, 02:32   #40

one of the best modded thar i have seen
may i request for some pics
cheers,
hitesh
Old 16th September 2012, 22:21   #41
Team-BHP Support

I had a near collision with this Rubicon Jeep today afternoon on NH48. This Jeep was trying to overtake a truck on a blind curve. I was coming off the curve in my white Grand Vitara and was shocked to see this Jeep my lane. In the wild honking and braking that followed, I had very little time to checkout the Jeep. But I did notice the yellow color and Rubicon logo on the side of the bumper.

Then I remembered I had seen this Jeep on TBHP.
Old 16th September 2012, 23:07   #42
BHPian

That is a decent job. Jeep, is more like a blood group down in kerala and with the coorgies. They are very passionate about these. Later on the rest of KA.

Today we talk about modjobs, about 30 years back they were doing it, more in Kerala. Mostly customization, as per requirement of the client, no reference images from the internet to show or body panels to weld. He says the interior was done by Koyas, Our Amby got it done in 86, my friend got his new amby done in 92 after seeing their work on our car. Ah some necessity mothering invention.. Those were the days.

So I would say not surprising at all. But do feel sad at the effort spent on the R&D and certain advice from sir DB falling into deaf ears. Cost of tooling etc is just an excuse. A lot of components are shared between manufacturers and models.

If a 3rd std fail can do wonders ( I know one such character), at a fraction of the cost of 'large scale manufacturing', I think we tend to be taken for a ride just because we love something.

@SirDB, 4X4 SUMO? I am for it. I love the MMs, Not practical.

@Samurai sen, Ah so you let him pass eh? A slash or two would have uped the customization on that! Overtaking on a blind curve? About time the army puts up their posts out here at the classifieds for their tanks! No one would want to do blind curve overtakes once they see a Tank on that lane!
Old 17th September 2012, 05:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well, here comes the voice of dissent. Other than the great tyres and mags I am not all that impressed. I am especially not impressed 5 lakhs worth.

If I am going to spend money on mods for a Thar CRDe then I am going to add functional stuff like locking diff, small lift kit, tyres and wheels, maybe an aftermarket performance box, better seats.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just don't really care for this thing, I guess. I think B.D. is quite right. The great looks you guys see, I don't see, and I don't think "the look" would ever squeeze another 2 lakhs, mass production cost, out of most Indian customers.

If Tata really wants to detonate an international bomb in the market place, to compete with Thar, then maybe they should take some time and create an iconic look of their own. Form follows function in the case of mostly-off-roaders.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 17th September 2012 at 05:28.
Old 16th October 2012, 01:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmaniac View Post
one of the best modded thar i have seen
may i request for some pics
cheers,
hitesh
Hi Bhpians,

Whoever was looking for the still shots of the same jeep, here is the link! Me too was looking for this pics and today someone uploaded it in the modded cars in Kerala thread!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ars-india.html
Old 16th October 2012, 02:02   #45
Team-BHP Support

Tasteful!

this could so easily pass off as the real-deal. 5 lakhs seems like a lot but once you add it up you'd realize they aren't messing-around. Labour does cost too, you know!

I'd definitely give the stickers a miss, and probably get different wheels too. These don't float my boat.

There is another black Thar that has been modded to look like a Jeep and it's in Bangalore. I swear I thought it was a Wrangler even after a good look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks