Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 11:41   #76
BHPian

re: Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Well, all is well that ends well. So Bhasin Mahindra sold you the vehicle and Koncept Mahindra solved your problem .. what did Bhasin Motors have to say about this job - or did you not go to them at all.

Personally, I have had poor sales experience from the Bhasin motors guys so eventually did not buy the Thar from them. Koncept Motors has been satisfactory till date but my first service is still due. Lets see how that goes.

Anyhow, those interested in getting this under warranty may refer this link for more info. Just cross-posting here so that all can get the benefit, since subject is the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3067799
Mine goes the other way round !

Bhasin Motors actually got my Thar replaced as the 4x4 just wont engage. After taking the delivery and driving almost a 100Kms, the second day i tied the 4x4 magic lever it wont engage.
The very second day, Thar was back at Bhasin. First they were adamant on getting it repaired in the first service.

Stood Tall - God Be Praised i got the a New Thar in 7 Days

As far as Koncept goes i actually threatened them to file a case !

4th Service (Paid) my Bill comes out to be 12,700/-
They (said) had changed -
1. Engine Oil.
2. Diff" (Both) Oil.
3. Gear Oil.
4. Diesel Filter.
5. Air Filter.
6. Wiper Blades.
7. Washing Charges.
8. Service Charges.

I had requested the service manager to open the hood as i wanted to eye the area and .............OMG it was soiled. Wrath prevailed and then came the surprises.............

1. Air Filter - NOT CHANGED.
2. Wiper Blades - NOT CHANGED.
3. Diesel Filter - NOT CHANGED.
(Could not check for the Oil change; bounteous a reason to screw their happiness). Reporters came in - a 'full-dress' story was done. Supplicating down came the service manager and the showroom manager. Affirmed FOC service, i denied and opted to turbo off !!

Emailed the video clipping to M&M head office. Representative came down to my office with flowers and chocolates (As the vehicle was on my wife's name). Forwarded the flowers and chocolates to my wife - HAPPY DAY !!
davidashish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 11:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Hi David

I went through the brake booster installation pictures which you had posted. Do you mean to say that you have removed the felt material that was present behind the brake booster? If yes, then it is a serious issue and has to be put back immediately. It is provided there for a purpose, that is to take up all the undulations in the fire wall while tightening the booster mounting bolts. Eliminating this, will result in serious brake drag issue.

Cheers
W_C
Point Taken - I forgot to mention that the New TANDEM booster has a thicker Rubber sealing than the previous booster. So it was replaced with the rubber sealing of the old booster giving it a ABSOLUTE fit. The New booster (just for my satisfaction) was double bolted with additional (double) bolts on the inside of the vehicle.
After the brake upgrade on the 9th March 2013, i've motored 1,200Kms and accelerated to speeds up-to 140Kmph, roughed up the brakes - (God Be Praised) It works Good !!
Old 29th March 2013, 16:55   #78
BANNED

Guys,

I have upgraded my THAR rear suspension from the earlier CFL to wider Rubberized Carbon fibre springs from ARC , need to have a extensive run on the same before giving a feedback.

Rear LHS zipper slider has broken, need to fix with new one.

Installed a race chip.Now extra horses and upgraded Breaks will match !.

Last edited by Rajith : 29th March 2013 at 17:00.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 18:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Installed a race chip.Now extra horses and upgraded Breaks will match !.
Sounds Interesting. Can you please elaborate on this one.
Old 30th March 2013, 11:26   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rear LHS zipper slider has broken, need to fix with new one.
Dear Rajith - what is the exact failure mode of the canopy zipper? Has it failed in limiting condition at the top? The canopy vendor is exactly 5 minutes drive away from where I work, I did the first prototype in his factory in exactly 4 days (2 January 2010 to 5 January 2010). I must see the photographs to determine the exact root cause. Drawing was made, released and given, I had also given exact manufacturing instructions, including the position and direction of assembly of the most minor velcro strap. If the strap is fitted correctly, wind flow tightens it, if is fitted in reverse direction, wind flow actually loosens it or tears it off! If he has deviated even slightly, I'll come to know. If so, heaven help him! .

Please post very detailed photographs. Things like this just cannot happen in my cars!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - by the way, what is this great "race chip"?

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 30th March 2013 at 11:28. Reason: add info
Old 30th March 2013, 22:35   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajith - what is the exact failure mode of the canopy zipper? Has it failed in limiting condition at the top? The canopy vendor is exactly 5 minutes drive away from where I work, I did the first prototype in his factory in exactly 4 days (2 January 2010 to 5 January 2010). I must see the photographs to determine the exact root cause. Drawing was made, released and given, I had also given exact manufacturing instructions, including the position and direction of assembly of the most minor velcro strap. If the strap is fitted correctly, wind flow tightens it, if is fitted in reverse direction, wind flow actually loosens it or tears it off! If he has deviated even slightly, I'll come to know. If so, heaven help him! .

Please post very detailed photographs. Things like this just cannot happen in my cars!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - by the way, what is this great "race chip"?
Sir,

Rear of the Thar sucks dust on move which sits on Zipper sliders and teeth, slider get stuck in the middle.When pulled forcefully ,slider gets widened and never closes in upward/down ward motion.I tried closing the slider with nose pliers as well, no use !.

More over after closure ,both side zippers are under good tension.

Now one need to remove the ST fully, unstich the zipper top part and slide in the new slider , again in after market we get only sided puller and not dual.Its a night mare.

Full length velcros could have been better .He could have used vizlon sliders/zippers from YKK.

Please check - http://www.racechip.de/en/chiptuning...77kw/index.php

Last edited by Rajith : 30th March 2013 at 22:40.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:42   #82
BANNED

Naked photo, while zipper repair
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0665.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0666.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0668.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0667.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0669.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0670.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0671.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2013, 15:57   #83
BANNED

Hi Friends,

Quality of zippers/sliders used in Thar soft top is V V POOR. I have replaced both zippers using YKK, which has costed 2500rs including ASC removing/fitting, local tailor charges and vehicle offroad for 48hrs.

I really dont under stand that why no body from M&M has insisted the vendor to use YKK brand or how this zippers passed all real time tests.Using local zippers may save the vendor few hundreds of rupees, but we have to cough out in thousands.

This is another way of pushing local hardtop sales,there also customer is a guinea pig, really a nonsense pain !!.

Its better if M&M gives an SOP/Training to maintain their soft top zippers as well to the customer while delivery.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:54   #84
BANNED

My Monk during a shower and a change with ZLX side mirrors
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0683.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0684.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0685.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-photo0686.jpg  

Old 8th April 2013, 14:49   #85

Quote:
My Monk during a shower and a change with ZLX side mirrors
Hi Ranjith,

Monk looks good. what is that yellow strip on the right side headlight?
Old 8th April 2013, 15:12   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roji View Post
Hi Ranjith,

Monk looks good. what is that yellow strip on the right side headlight?
Gujarat Road rule.Pasted ones it was driven there for some days.
Old 9th April 2013, 20:06   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quality of zippers/sliders used in Thar soft top is V V POOR. I have replaced both zippers using YKK, which has costed 2500rs including ASC removing/fitting, local tailor charges and vehicle offroad for 48hrs.
I second that Rajit.

The two major flaws in the Soft Top design are:
  1. Zipper
  2. Clip-on's on the either side of the soft top in the front.
The quality of these, are in sharp contrast to the otherwise excellent soft top. I know a handful of people with broken zip/zipper including mine!
Old 9th April 2013, 20:13   #88
BHPian

A quick question :

Are the issues with Brakes, Canopy zippers reported earlier in the thread fixed in the new Thars coming off the shelf?
Old 10th April 2013, 12:25   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
A quick question: Are the issues with Brakes, Canopy zippers reported earlier in the thread fixed in the new Thars coming off the shelf?
Dear lugnut - a quick answer - .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th April 2013, 14:51   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

Rear of the Thar sucks dust on move which sits on Zipper sliders and teeth, slider get stuck in the middle.When pulled forcefully ,slider gets widened and never closes in upward/down ward motion.I tried closing the slider with nose pliers as well, no use !.

More over after closure ,both side zippers are under good tension.

Now one need to remove the ST fully, unstich the zipper top part and slide in the new slider , again in after market we get only sided puller and not dual.Its a night mare.

Full length velcros could have been better .He could have used vizlon sliders/zippers from YKK.

Please check - http://www.racechip.de/en/chiptuning...77kw/index.php
Working with a Zipper company, allow me to intervene.

1. You should *not* use Vislon zippers on applications which go 'around', ie, where the tape has to bend. A coil zipper works best in these situations
2. Aftermarket sliders is a bad idea. Coils for zippers are not standardized, and we order special sliders that specially fit into our special zipper chain.A zipper is a surprisingly technical product, and the 'play' inside the slider has to be exact - not even millimeters higher or lower. In the absence of standards, every zipper manufacturer makes his or her own zipper sliders which match with their own tape.
3. Buying local zippers to replace these zippers is an even worse idea, as the zippers you need for the canopy are special heavy duty zippers, not the kinds available in the local market
4. If your coil zipper gets stuck (I have done this with my golf bag which has zippers which always get stuck), then take a can of WD40, point it inside the slider from the top, spray a couple of times and then run it. NEVER force it. That is a guaranteed way to break the puller, or to widen its mouth, and then be stuck with half a puller or a zipper which is going to fail very soon
5. The top reason for the sliders getting stuck is that slider bodies are made from die-cast zinc. When exposed to natural elements, this results in a layer of zinc-oxide (white or green powderish deposits) which will form on and inside the slider, which could hinder the movement of the zipper

Summary:
1. Treat the zipper as a highly technical product. Nose pliers should never be brought near a zipper
2. WD 40 is your friend if your zipper gets stuck because of zinc oxide deposits
3. If your zipper is stuck because of loose threads or leaves being stuck inside it, free the slider from that before you yank it
mudittandon is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks