Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 12:05   #1
BHPian

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)

A “Classic” Dream

It was 9 am – I get a call from Kumar (catchkumar) – “Hey Binu – check out the olx site, there is a classic for sale.. the one I was talking to you about? I had seen it parked in Jayanagar. It’s a very well maintained Jeep.” I open olx and drool over the pictures, she looked just amazing… and I started dreaming… “will my dream of owning a jeep come true? Will I ever be able to own a Jeep of this kind ? Wow would be so exiting to drive a Jeep around!” Back to reality – no way, JOSE!! Where do I have the money? And a Classic is in such a demand, by the time I even call the owner, it would be sold! So, when reality strikes – it gets you grounded! I get back to work!

So Kumar and I work for the same organization he is a good friend, a colleague and more over he was my boss previously ;-) So here is how we start our day- discuss jeeps, jeeps and nothing but Jeeps. Though both of us don’t have any money to spare, we’d still browse through almost all the classifieds for Jeeps and would call the owners to get to know more details... That’s how crazy we were.

The first Jeep in our family was when my brother in-law (baburajs) picked up a CJ340 – 2 wheel drive. We put our heart and soul into it converting it to a Jeep(4x4) from a peep. Numerous trips to Bangalore gujri ( a place where you can source used spares) Those were the days when we dint even know what a transfer case was.. :P

Kumar comes to work and checks if I had seen the pictures. I said I did, but what’s the point? There is no way I can think of buying it! He persuaded me to call the seller and check for details and see if he is willing to negotiate. I said, still, it makes no sense, I don’t have the money!! I can probably manage a lakh, do you think he’d agree for installments ? Why don’t you call him and check ? Lets offer what we have and the rest in probably in 2 or 3 installments said Kumar! I laughed out loud ! Installments for a Classic! Nevertheless, I call the seller – get all the required details, confirm that it’s the same vehicle which we see parked in Jayanagar. And the last question, hesitatingly- is the price negotiable by any chance? I was obvious when I shot the question, even if the seller had hung up on me; I would not feel for it! It’s a Classic dam it!! “Slightly” why don’t you come and have look at it said the seller! – I had goose bumps all over! Thrilled is not the world. We set up a time to meet the same evening.

Kumar and I arrive at Sukh Sagar, Jayanagar. Wait for a couple of minutes and we see the “BEAST” roaring towards us – she looked voluptuous!! Black, with huge tyres – The dirty picture Silk like. She was curvy, big yet elegant! I fell flat!!
Attached Thumbnails
A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-classic.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-classic1.jpg  

Last edited by binu balan : 17th January 2012 at 12:08. Reason: Adding pics
binu balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 16:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)

Congrats!

The Classic is still a drool worthy vehicle. I also wanted to own one if only it came with a faster engine.

Anyways congrats on the acquisition! You never know when and how your dream gets fulfilled.

Cheers
MileCruncher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 21:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

congratulations. Welcome to the classic owner's club . Man that is such an awesome machine. I remember the day how I found my classic, if you compare to that condition this is what called "show room" piece in practical world.
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 08:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

binu congratulations man, the classic looks clean. BTW it's over 20 hours since you fell flat after your last post. We are waiting for the rest of the story .
rjstyles69 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 08:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats!

The Classic is still a drool worthy vehicle. I also wanted to own one if only it came with a faster engine.

Anyways congrats on the acquisition! You never know when and how your dream gets fulfilled.

Cheers
Thank you

Yea! I miss the speed too... its got loads of raw power though! I was looking out to replace the gearbox with a 5 Speed one, its too complicated and lot of modification required. It might effect the offroad efficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
congratulations. Welcome to the classic owner's club . Man that is such an awesome machine. I remember the day how I found my classic, if you compare to that condition this is what called "show room" piece in practical world.
Thanks Trammway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
binu congratulations man, the classic looks clean. BTW it's over 20 hours since you fell flat after your last post. We are waiting for the rest of the story .
Thanks rjstyles! I still fall flat, the moment I look at her :P

Got a little busy with work, will continue soon...
Old 19th January 2012, 09:31   #6
BHPian

The initial looks were just stunning, though she dint look as good as she looked in the pictures. The vehicle was slightly slanting towards the driver side. Before I decided to take her for a test drive, I walked around her and checked her out, she was very well kept. The feeling I had as soon as I sat in the Jeep was exhilarating – I felt as though I was in a fighter planes cockpit! The dash was neat with almost no electrical glitches. One crank and she roared, she was smooth…. The seller told me that he had spent a lot of money in getting the Jeep restored, and it showed! All original parts were intact, the only modification was that it had a bigger radiator (12 core) and that was good for off-roading. I drove her around Jayanagar, she acted as though she found her master and the feeling was mutual. There was no way I’d let her go!

Now comes the negotiation part! I was open to him. “ I have a lakh now, take it, keep the vehicle, the rest in two months and I’d take the Jeep then” I had no clue how I would manage to get the rest, but I was sure I could manage somehow! A Jeeper will always be there for a Jeeper! and, I saw that! He agreed! He showed no greed at all. In fact he asked me to take the Jeep within a week which I did  The deal closed in 30 mins FLAT!

I’m a proud owner of a BEAST.. here are some pics of her….
Attached Thumbnails
A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00045201106170733.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00046201106170733.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00047201106170734.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00048201106170734.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00049201106170734.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00050201106170735.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00051201106170736.jpg  

binu balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 09:49   #7
BHPian

We decided to go on a soft off road after having the initial glitches fixed:

All cables changed
All oils changed
Suspension fix with an extra leaf on the driver side
Complete service
Wiring check
Bulbs replaced
Gear box overhauled
Attached Thumbnails
A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00106201107171706.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00107201107171706.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00109201107171721.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00110201107171758.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00111201107171759.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00114201107171800.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00117201107171803.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00118201107171803.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00128201107171810.jpg  

A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-img00129201107171810.jpg  

binu balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 09:54   #8
BHPian

Initial report :

Success:
She was very stable, just that I had to get used to her.
Steering was butter with those humongous tyres.
Engine as smooth as silk
Gear shift was apt

Opportunities:
Miss the 5th gear :(
Turning radius, very bad and its worst with those big tyres.
The tyres scrape while off roading.

Modifications I'm planning to do ( Please advice if these make sense)

Replace the front and rear diff with MM550's - full floating, LSD and wider for better turning radius and this would also not let the tyres scrape.
Snorkel- Looks and efficient
Hub locks
Power steering- Better city drive

Last edited by binu balan : 19th January 2012 at 10:00.
binu balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Binu Balan - you have purchased this Jeep in excellent condition. My sincere request to you - PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT. Please PM me, I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

The last picture on post 7 is really scary, i would have thought its just not possible but i see you doing it with such ease as driving on level road. Add to that the tyres and its grooves are all covered with mud and to expect any traction from them would be silly.

Did you complete the stunt without any damage? Apologies for asking this as to me it simply looks too difficult, and if you did Hats off.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
Initial report :

Success:
Engine as smooth as silk
Gear shift was apt

Opportunities:

Replace the front and rear diff with MM550's - full floating, LSD and wider for better turning radius and this would also not let the tyres scrape.
Hub locks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Binu Balan - you have purchased this Jeep in excellent condition. My sincere request to you - PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT. Please PM me, I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Brother,

Congrats for becoming a Proud Owner of a Classic, My humble Request is to let a CLASSIC be a CLASSIC (a classic is itself a perfect and rare combination with both onroad and offroad capablities so just enjoy it and never modify its originality).
please forgive me if i am wrong anywhere
Old 19th January 2012, 12:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
Initial report :

Success:
Engine as smooth as silk
Gear shift was apt

Opportunities:

Hub locks
Congrats on the purchase! It looks like just out of the showroom. My humble request to you would be to let it as it is. I got my Classic in the worst state possible and I still am to complete the process of bringing it back to stock condition (And yeah, I took away the power steering first) In my opinion turning radius should not be that a trouble. (Imagine driving the Classic after driving the Safari whole week- 'U' turns feel like heaven)
Old 19th January 2012, 12:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Did you think of re-locating those lights at all ? Just in case the front bumper has to plough through something, looks like the lights would be the 1st to take a beating. I am talking of situations where you need to enter a deep pit or even descend a steep incline.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Binu,

Where there is a Jeep there is a way.

Congratulations on your accusation of a Classic.

Don't think of going for the 6 speed GB they are long (BA 10, Isuzu) and you will have your rear propeller shaft just 6-7 inches long.

Don't think of changing anything in your Jeep, it is a capable off-roader as it is. Get rid of the side steps if you plan off roading, I would prefer no side step at all. The rear step is a hinderence at exits and also the two rear bumpers.

You should have got all your springs moped rather than adding one leaf.
There are two major reasons the Jeep will tilt to one side:

If one particular spring has lost tension.
If the chassis is twisted.

Hope it is the first one with your Jeep (do Check the chassis).

Get rid of the A/T tyres at a later stage and go for 235/75/R15 and your tyres will not scrape your leafs or insides of the tyre wells.

Your front diff should be 51", discs..same as on the 550 (earlier models) later came 57" diffs. Instead just install a LSD in the rear diff and go for 3" negative offset rims and the above mentioned tyre size, your scraping problems will be solved.

12 core radiator?

Wishing you many safe miles ahead and loved your story of ownership.
Regards
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 14:18   #15
BHPian

Thats a 4 core radiator if I am not mistaken. And it is indeed a dream machine. Handles like a car and does the offroad without any kind of janjat . There is nothing to do there in this jeep . It is perfect in the way she is .

Only thing I am a little concerned is about the tyres . They are big and in places where we need that extra bit of articulation it becomes a hindrance. As mentioned earlier 235/75/15 will be a good bet as I have the same on my CJ .

Proud to have her in the family . A CJ and a classic. Its complete drool maal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks