Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 15:27   #16
BHPian

Re: A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The last picture on post 7 is really scary, i would have thought its just not possible but i see you doing it with such ease as driving on level road. Add to that the tyres and its grooves are all covered with mud and to expect any traction from them would be silly.

Did you complete the stunt without any damage? Apologies for asking this as to me it simply looks too difficult, and if you did Hats off.

It was a piece of cake for her. No problem at all. It was indeed a steep incline . Thats the reason we did it in reverse otherwise we would have damaged the back foot rest and bumper (which go hit anyway ) . She went up like a dream and could have gone over the hill but the other side was too steep to try that.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
My sincere request to you - PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT. Please PM me, I will guide you in totality.
Thank you Behram Sir. I'll keep it as is. No one would know better!
I shall PM for more advices. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The last picture on post 7 is really scary, i would have thought its just not possible but i see you doing it with such ease as driving on level road. Add to that the tyres and its grooves are all covered with mud and to expect any traction from them would be silly.

Did you complete the stunt without any damage? Apologies for asking this as to me it simply looks too difficult, and if you did Hats off.
Ohh! that day was a really a scary day! The first terrain she almost toppled. We were a little taken back after that! The one you see in the pics was easy to attain 90% just that we dint ave the guts to go further- the jeep was new to us and it was our first off-road with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Dear Brother,

Congrats for becoming a Proud Owner of a Classic, My humble Request is to let a CLASSIC be a CLASSIC (a classic is itself a perfect and rare combination with both onroad and offroad capablities so just enjoy it and never modify its originality).
Thank you brother. I was awaiting an expert advice on this and I got that straing from the horses mouth. I've decided to keep it as is and will consult with Behram sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_4_Jeep View Post
Congrats on the purchase! It looks like just out of the showroom. My humble request to you would be to let it as it is. I got my Classic in the worst state possible and I still am to complete the process of bringing it back to stock condition (And yeah, I took away the power steering first) In my opinion turning radius should not be that a trouble. (Imagine driving the Classic after driving the Safari whole week- 'U' turns feel like heaven)
Thanks

Dint the power steering work good? Which one was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Did you think of re-locating those lights at all ? Just in case the front bumper has to plough through something, looks like the lights would be the 1st to take a beating. I am talking of situations where you need to enter a deep pit or even descend a steep incline.
Yea, I'd have that removed during off roads as the tow hook is placed just behind it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Binu,

Where there is a Jeep there is a way.

Congratulations on your accusation of a Classic.

Don't think of going for the 6 speed GB they are long (BA 10, Isuzu) and you will have your rear propeller shaft just 6-7 inches long.

Don't think of changing anything in your Jeep, it is a capable off-roader as it is. Get rid of the side steps if you plan off roading, I would prefer no side step at all. The rear step is a hinderence at exits and also the two rear bumpers.

You should have got all your springs moped rather than adding one leaf.
There are two major reasons the Jeep will tilt to one side:

If one particular spring has lost tension.
If the chassis is twisted.

Hope it is the first one with your Jeep (do Check the chassis).

Get rid of the A/T tyres at a later stage and go for 235/75/R15 and your tyres will not scrape your leafs or insides of the tyre wells.

Your front diff should be 51", discs..same as on the 550 (earlier models) later came 57" diffs. Instead just install a LSD in the rear diff and go for 3" negative offset rims and the above mentioned tyre size, your scraping problems will be solved.

12 core radiator?

Wishing you many safe miles ahead and loved your story of ownership.
Regards
Thanks Fazal.
I did do an underbody inspection when I got it. No issues with the chassis, its just that the leaf's have lost tension.

Its 4 core sorry.

It has the stock -ve off set alloys already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
Thats a 4 core radiator if I am not mistaken. And it is indeed a dream machine. Handles like a car and does the offroad without any kind of janjat . There is nothing to do there in this jeep . It is perfect in the way she is .

Only thing I am a little concerned is about the tyres . They are big and in places where we need that extra bit of articulation it becomes a hindrance. As mentioned earlier 235/75/15 will be a good bet as I have the same on my CJ .

Proud to have her in the family . A CJ and a classic. Its complete drool maal.
I'm proud too

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2012 at 15:51. Reason: Removing some IMG tags. Please use the smileys provided in the "Advanced editor" only. Thanks.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:34   #18
BHPian

binu, congratulations on your lovely acquisition. It looks fantastic and well maintained. Which model year is it.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:44   #19
BHPian

Thanks Deepak. Its a mid '98 model, re-built through '10 - '11.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:52   #20
BHPian

This was pic taken just after the rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-classic-new.jpg  

Old 20th January 2012, 11:11   #21
Team-BHP Support

Hey congratz! I know this jeep and even test driven it before buying DwArF, my budget was limited at that time and hence did not proceed further. I guess you have sorted out all the niggles i had noted at that point of time and now its purfect! Yes you might want to find someone to exchange those oversize tyres for standard size and it would rock offroad.
Old 20th January 2012, 16:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
binu, congratulations on your lovely acquisition. It looks fantastic and well maintained. Which model year is it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I guess you have sorted out all the niggles i had noted at that point of time and now its purfect! Yes you might want to find someone to exchange those oversize tyres for standard size and it would rock offroad.
Thanks Jaggu. I have fixed almost all. Do you re-call what you had identified then? She's going to participate the 26th event, id want to have all the niggles fixed if I had missed any

Cheers!
Binu
Old 20th January 2012, 16:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

The GB and leaf spring re-cambering i do remember, rest were small things like electrical check up etc. But tyres is something i would definitely ask you to change, those oversize tyres would definitely hamper offroad performance.
Old 21st January 2012, 10:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The GB and leaf spring re-cambering i do remember, rest were small things like electrical check up etc. But tyres is something i would definitely ask you to change, those oversize tyres would definitely hamper offroad performance.
Thanks Jaggu. I have fixed almost all. The only one thats pending now are the tyres. For this off road I'm going to use Baburaj's tyres.
Old 21st January 2012, 12:48   #25
BHPian

Binu,

It's a fantastic looking jeep. I think it deserves some good looking off-road tires though. Never mind, I just saw your post on the tires.

Please don't abuse it though with unnecessarily tough off-roading. You probably should get a dedicated off-roader for that. This vehicle is special and you may not be able to replace it that easily.

Congrats and hope you have a great time with.

Last edited by VLOCT : 21st January 2012 at 12:56.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 13:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
You probably should get a dedicated off-roader for that.
A dedicated off-roader? Thank God my wife is not reading this (hope so), or i'd be a .
Old 21st January 2012, 22:15   #27

Congratulations. You have bagged a Classical classic. These is a rare breed to come by and that too in this original form. I think you go with the advice of senior Bhpians and do not mess with your Classic and let it remain a Classic. Happy driving.
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmood View Post
Congratulations. You have bagged a Classical classic. These is a rare breed to come by and that too in this original form. I think you go with the advice of senior Bhpians and do not mess with your Classic and let it remain a Classic. Happy driving.
Thanks Mahmood! Yea, i'm going to let it remain a classic.
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:08   #29
BHPian

To prepare her for the 27th event we got the tyres changed, removed the side and back footstep. We were about to test her on a soft off-road thats when Baburaj noticed that the left back leaf springs were broken. We rushed her to the mech and he confirmed its broken and has to be replaced ASAP. Good we got to know about it, or it would have been a disaster.

The temp guage dint work, thermostat switch replaced. The mech says it would not should a reading until it really heats up, and the justification he had was that it's due to the thermostat valve. Is that so? Shouldnt it show some reading? I just want to ensure things are set right before the BIG event.
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:35   #30
BHPian

Hi Binu,
1st of all hearty congratulations for making that particular Classic yours. Now, u might wonder why i am telling that. Well, u see, i have used that vehicle for may be 3-4days before we got the roof installed on it. Just imagine how i felt to see the pics of this vehicle again. Actually it was owned by a close friend of mine before he sold it off sometime back.

Hey, if you dont mind, could you please share with me the final price u paid for this beauty?? you can PM the details. Am just curious to know!

I would also request you to keep it in the original condition. I have seen a lot of pain being taken to bring it to the shape u see it now. Am also proud to be a part (a small part thou!) of restoring this beauty!

Anyways, Congratulations again. Take care of the Classic man. You really have got a polished diamond!!

Let me attach a pic i had taken of this jeep before i left it back.

regards,
bdn.
Attached Thumbnails
A "Classic" Dream (Mahindra Classic 4x4)-dsc00382-1-1.jpg  

Last edited by bdn317 : 23rd January 2012 at 20:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks