Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 22:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Congratulations Sanjay, look forward to your ownership thread on how you turn this product into an offroad beast.

A quick question, how many kilometers had your Thar run (odo) when you got delivery?

Dhanush, driver's seat always had a seat travel adjuster (rail as you say). I am guessing that, either the seats were tampered at the dealership for some odd reason or the mechanism had conked / jammed during delivery.

Spike
Spike - hi and thanks , the odo read 1500km when i took delivery of it
ive done about 2000 km myself , from coimbatore to chennai last week and this week chennai bangalore and back besides some other short runs
Old 19th January 2012, 22:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Congratulations

Quote:
Dhanush, driver's seat always had a seat travel adjuster (rail as you say). I am guessing that, either the seats were tampered at the dealership for some odd reason or the mechanism had conked / jammed during delivery.
Spike,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-driven-11.jpg

The Jeep in this review had driver seats, which does not have any seat travel (reach) adjuster. Hence the comment. It was one of the 1st Jeeps in kerala.

P.S: Please turn a blind eye towards the tummy you see.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: My First New Jeep - The Mahindra Thar DI Finally

Congrats Sanjay!! I see THAR Di's being built everyday from my 3rd floor in Kandiveli. Love the THAR Di 4wd. It is simple, rugged and will live up to your expectations. Given your needs you made a good choice!

Waiting to see the pics with upgraded tyres and shakle lift.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Congratulations on the new Thar!!.. btw, how are the driver seats which comes without any adjustment? I assume you have made space by taking the seats back?. But IMO, a more practical solution would be to swap to 540 type adjustable seats.
Dear Dhanushs - Thar DI seats are common to BMT (Bolero Maxi Truck) seats in totality, including the mounting. The toolbox is on the RH side as the floor is common with BMT. Thar CRDe seats are common to Bolero SLX / VLX seats except for the upholstery and the fact that LH seat is fitted on RH side and RH seat is fitted on LH side to prevent fouling with inertia reel type seat belt arrangement. The tool box in Thar CRDe is on the LH side. MM540 came in so many configurations, even I do not remember where the original tool box was, please see in your vehicle and tell me.

Dear The Traveller - the seat position is defined by the "H" point. Any change in seats / "H" point means CMVR (windshield view angle in LH, RH, top and bottom + wiper A, B and C areas + head impact test due to "M1" certification (white number plate), first make layout, then test (test laboratory is now shifted to kingdom come location), if at all it meets, then submit papers in quadruplicate to certifying agency + pay fees (budget) + wait for certificate + tension of replying on project readiness in "meetings", who will do all this when BMT aggregates / certificate are available? "Sir, customer is not comfortable". "Don't make loose comments, conduct a jury". "Yes Sir"! Simple! In BMT, seat cannot go back because it is single cab load carrier. Therefore, it is correct that you drilled four holes and became comfortable. It is the only sensible way! . But if "customers" like you finally somehow manage to bring this up vigorously to the table ("through marketing" only, otherwise we won't recognize) and this "issue" needs to be solved by doing "something", then what to do?

Simple! Do the "Next Project" (if at all!) - "Sir, proposal is to put CRDe aggregates in DI". "Proven aggregates Sir"! Seats, canopy, instrument panel. "Huge work" man! "Product Concept Form and Project Plan" yaar! "Timelines" Dude! "Homologation" Sir! "Testing" your Honour! "Body Fixtures" my Friend! "Capital & Revenue Budgets" my Boy! "Meetings" my Dear! One and a half year's work generated!

. HaHaHa! I had to do this!

Dear Sharath - if this is too much, you may delete this post!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

"Product Clarity" is first required to achieve "Customer Centricity".
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 08:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Congrats Sanjay!! I see THAR Di's being built everyday from my 3rd floor in Kandiveli. Love the THAR Di 4wd. It is simple, rugged and will live up to your expectations. Given your needs you made a good choice!

Vinod thanks , and thanks for your inputs while i was in the process of deciding to buy the DI .
it is indeed a very simple yet practical vehicle and completely suits my needs.
will put up the pics soon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dhanushs - Thar DI seats are common to BMT (Bolero Maxi Truck) seats in totality, including the mounting. The toolbox is on the RH side as the floor is common with BMT. Thar CRDe seats are common to Bolero SLX / VLX seats except for the upholstery and the fact that LH seat is fitted on RH side and RH seat is fitted on LH side to prevent fouling with inertia reel type seat belt arrangement. The tool box in Thar CRDe is on the LH side. MM540 came in so many configurations, even I do not remember where the original tool box was, please see in your vehicle and tell me.

Dear The Traveller - the seat position is defined by the "H" point. Any change in seats / "H" point means CMVR (windshield view angle in LH, RH, top and bottom + wiper A, B and C areas + head impact test due to "M1" certification (white number plate), first make layout, then test (test laboratory is now shifted to kingdom come location), if at all it meets, then submit papers in quadruplicate to certifying agency + pay fees (budget) + wait for certificate + tension of replying on project readiness in "meetings", who will do all this when BMT aggregates / certificate are available? "Sir, customer is not comfortable". "Don't make loose comments, conduct a jury". "Yes Sir"! Simple! In BMT, seat cannot go back because it is single cab load carrier. Therefore, it is correct that you drilled four holes and became comfortable. It is the only sensible way! . But if "customers" like you finally somehow manage to bring this up vigorously to the table ("through marketing" only, otherwise we won't recognize) and this "issue" needs to be solved by doing "something", then what to do?

Simple! Do the "Next Project" (if at all!) - "Sir, proposal is to put CRDe aggregates in DI". "Proven aggregates Sir"! Seats, canopy, instrument panel. "Huge work" man! "Product Concept Form and Project Plan" yaar! "Timelines" Dude! "Homologation" Sir! "Testing" your Honour! "Body Fixtures" my Friend! "Capital & Revenue Budgets" my Boy! "Meetings" my Dear! One and a half year's work generated!

. HaHaHa! I had to do this!

Dear Sharath - if this is too much, you may delete this post!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

"Product Clarity" is first required to achieve "Customer Centricity".
Dear Mr Dhabhar

First , hats off to you and your team for giving us this splendid product ,
and i'm sure you'll went thru hell before you got this off the drawing board and rolling out of the production lines.

its a great great product and probably the last time those of us that really love jeeps ever saw or owned a brand new one right out of the showroom. ( i do however hope and pray that i'll still be able to buy another new one of the shelf after maybe 10 years again)

my take on this is that ive got almost everything i wanted in a brand new vehicle and from here on i'll have to customize it to suit my needs,

thanks again Mr Dhabhar and Team.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2012 at 09:08.
Old 21st January 2012, 09:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
( i do however hope and pray that i'll still be able to buy another new one of the shelf after maybe 10 years again)
Sanjay 99.99 % that will not materialize. Starting 2015 new regulations will come into effect which will not permit sale of many models which are in market today, at the max you will be able to get a new Thar till 2017 (highly optimistic timeline). The rest 0.01 % , the lesser I say the better.

So take care of your steed and enjoy it to the fullest. Your running in is long over man, when are you shifting the smaller lever? Aavalakonda?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 09:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Sanjay 99.99 % that will not materialize. Starting 2015 new regulations will come into effect which will not permit sale of many models which are in market today, at the max you will be able to get a new Thar till 2017 (highly optimistic timeline). The rest 0.01 % , the lesser I say the better.

So take care of your steed and enjoy it to the fullest. Your running in is long over man, when are you shifting the smaller lever? Aavalakonda?

Spike
Spike yea ,
i know its no way possible 10 years down the line.
and i will gaurd my buy very carefully for sure , infact after i bought the THAR i changed my mind and didnt sell the other 540 i have , so that i can do the competitions in it and all the mods and experiments for comp necessary.

unfortunately no avalakonda for me again this year :( , got to go on a trip
and out until the 7th next month .

the joy stick will be moved as soon as im back for sure .
Old 21st January 2012, 17:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:

some random pics i just took
Attached Thumbnails
My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-img00305201201211330.jpg  

My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-img00307201201211330.jpg  

My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-img00304201201211328.jpg  

the traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey, your Thar is looking nice with sand grip! So close to your old MM540. Please do add head lamp grill and rear tow hook and a high lift jack.

Hope you have done shakle lift.

p.s- Articulation in new THAR Di isnt as good as old MM540. Removal of front anti roll bar will help. Keep them on for your on road duty.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd January 2012 at 23:39.
vinod_nookala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^ Vinod, why are you advocating shackle lift, and how much ? Why?

Sanjay your Jeep looks better now !

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd January 2012 at 23:42.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Present vehicle has too short shackles. I have tested it against CRDe and to my surprise DI lifted its wheel first over CRDe! Plus it is terribly uncomfortable in present set up. May be an inch of lift and removal of leaf should be good enough. Plus 31inch tyres without lift will foul with front fender.

edit- Shackle lift is my personal preference. Shackle lift if overdone has its own downside

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd January 2012 at 23:49.
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I can understand the tire fouling part. Will be interesting to see what Sanjay and other owners do in order to counter this problem. Ideal scenario will be to get a decent shackle length without much compromise on the on road behavior, this is purely ones personal preference.

Spike
Old 23rd January 2012, 07:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, your Thar is looking nice with sand grip! So close to your old MM540. Please do add head lamp grill and rear tow hook and a high lift jack.

Hope you have done shakle lift.

p.s- Articulation in new THAR Di isnt as good as old MM540. Removal of front anti roll bar will help. Keep them on for your on road duty.
Dear Vinod /Spike

Thanks ,
The sandgrips make the vehicle sit higher and look nicer however its sad we dont have much of choice with taller tyres in our country other than the sand tyres JK and Apollo No practical all around A/T's at 31inches i know of that are easy to comeby.

When i initially put these sandgrips on , the vehicle felt slightly sluggish as compared with the original 600.16's on the initial takeoff , it feels better now maybe because im used to it or is it that the engine has freed up a bit more i dont know.

The shackel change ill have to decide after a bit of offroading
for now the ride quality has improved since i bought the vehicle the springs seem to have lost thier initial stiffness and are flexing better .
Old 23rd January 2012, 12:00   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
MM540 came in so many configurations, even I do not remember where the original tool box was, please see in your vehicle and tell me.
Behram Sir, In my 540 the tool box is below the RH seat (driver seat) and both seats are adjustable for reach and rake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
When i initially put these sandgrips on , the vehicle felt slightly sluggish as compared with the original 600.16's on the initial takeoff
Hi, Is there a change in overall dia from stock? If so, the effective diff ratio might have been affected a bit. And, lowered from 4.88(?) . Hence the effect.

May be experts can comment.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Spike/Vinod:

Is it possible to retrofit the perch from the Army NGCS to Thar DI? The leaf spring also would have to be changed, I guess.

Easier to just put longer shackles, I think.

Most Viewed