Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My First New Jeep - The Mahindra Thar DI Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
And, lowered from 4.88(?) . Hence the effect.
Dhanush, the DI comes with 3.73.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Is it possible to retrofit the perch from the Army NGCS to Thar DI? The leaf spring also would have to be changed, I guess.

Easier to just put longer shackles, I think.
Easiest thing you can do is with the shackles. If you start tinkering with the perches the whole cycle begins again, starting from what to change and how much. The biggest roadblock would then be sourcing correct parts. Better avoid all that IMHO.

Note for mods- if these discussions are OT, please move to appropriate thread.

Spike
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
Tini korah ( chennai ) and Bhaskar Keshvlu (Banglore ) are the two very gentlemen who lost themselves after seeing my THAR and have booked thier very own already.
Congrats on the buy!! Enjoy the beast.
- A spot light (if you are the ones who like to wander about at night in Jungle areas),
- A powerful reverse light (helpful at nights again in jungle areas),
- Free wheeling hubs,
- A high lift jack,
- An inverter (DC to AC),
- A Winch
- Shackle kits / Tow Ropes (Nylon - easy to fold and maintain) should complete your "truck".

Ooty registeration is TN -43, 37 is Pollachi, unless I am mistaken about where you are registering it.

Bhaskar Keshavalu is still alive & Kickin!!! About time he showed up somewhere..!!! Dude where are U?
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
...Ooty registeration is TN -43, 37 is Pollachi, ...
TN-37 is Coimbatore, Pollachi is TN-41.

List of RTO districts in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:28   #34
BHPian

[quote=RAINMAKER;2655794]Congrats on the buy!! Enjoy the beast.
- A spot light (if you are the ones who like to wander about at night in Jungle areas),
- Free wheeling hubs,
- A high lift jack,
- A Winch
- Shackle kits / Tow Ropes (Nylon - easy to fold and maintain) should complete your "truck".

Ooty registeration is TN -43, 37 is Pollachi, unless I am mistaken about where you are registering it.

- A spot light (if you are the ones who like to wander about at night in Jungle areas),,
Rain maker - thanks - yep just the type to roam the jungles and at night yes ofcourse .

Yes got a set of MAXELL's from srilanka nice and bright for the front and rear , will be fixing them .
- Free wheeling hubs,
Already done
- A high lift jack,
Got one will be fixing it soon
Have been wanting to , havent found the right ones yet .anyone knows where in india i can find one ?
- A Winch
Im trying to get a warn 9500 .also want to explore possibility of a PTO for the rear ( but later )

Nylon ropes - got them already , shackles later after i do a few offroads

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd January 2012 at 17:35.
Old 27th January 2012, 22:19   #35
BHPian

Buddy

You got a worthy machine man congrats on your buy, Are you planning to install CFL(rear) and how comfortable you are with those Seats.Personally i am very much depressed on seeing those seats ( I will be very happy if Mahindra allows us to customize few small things like Seats and Tyres with Alloys) Its like we pay for what we don't need, Secondly if i am not wrong i see the Fender Flares missing aren't they supposed to give away those for the DI model.

I also noticed the soft top is not very well done ,It is neither looking good nor a perfect fit !

O.T- Did the Dealer give you any perks for the buy like Life Tax paid or Insurance or Full Tank Diesel at least(have heard these kind of offers given for other vehicles which are with the similar price tag)
Old 27th January 2012, 23:32   #36
BHPian

Congrats on the buy buddy! the jeep looks awesome! Please do let us know how this baby performs in 4wd!!! And whats the max speed you have hit on it so far? stability? Any body roll? hows the sand grips performance on tarmac?
Old 29th January 2012, 18:33   #37
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
Buddy

You got a worthy machine man congrats on your buy, Are you planning to install CFL(rear) and how comfortable you are with those Seats.Personally i am very much depressed on seeing those seats ( I will be very happy if Mahindra allows us to customize few small things like Seats and Tyres with Alloys) Its like we pay for what we don't need, Secondly if i am not wrong i see the Fender Flares missing aren't they supposed to give away those for the DI model.

I also noticed the soft top is not very well done ,It is neither looking good nor a perfect fit !

O.T- Did the Dealer give you any perks for the buy like Life Tax paid or Insurance or Full Tank Diesel at least(have heard these kind of offers given for other vehicles which are with the similar price tag)
kumaran
hi and thanks
yes youer right on the soft top , i'm also under the impression that it isnt well done too it kind of takes away a bit of the looks of the jeep as well , on my last jeep i had the top tailor made and the liner actually put the top on the vehicle loosely and left it out in the hot sun for about an hour before stretching it out nice and tight to fix it ( more like stretching skin over a music drum ) .
the thing about having it this loose is that it holds water when it rains and thats no good.
ill definetly be doing something about it later.

The seats like ive mentioned earlier are very basic and not completely bad ,i can live with it for now , since id like to put my money on more immediate needs , lockers and a winch .

The DI never came with the flares i think , its the CRDE that came with it.

As for discounts and freebies - all i got was about 25 lts of diesel, nevertheless no complaints mate , theres much more good in the vehicle than bad and i really love it , its a wonderful wonderful rig.

cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Congrats on the buy buddy! the jeep looks awesome! Please do let us know how this baby performs in 4wd!!! And whats the max speed you have hit on it so far? stability? Any body roll? hows the sand grips performance on tarmac?
thanks buddy ,
yep im waiting to , out of town and will be back 2ndweek feb so will keep you'll informed .
i did a very short 100 maybe a 2 to 3 mins maybe, absoultely no issues on stability at all and it had a lot more juice left to squeeze out but being new still i didnt want to push it too much .

but eventually i dont see itll be too much trouble in getting the THAR DI beyond a 100 with ease . ( that is with the stock diffs )

however , it would be wise to have the stock brake booster changed to a larger one if one wishes to do highway runs at 90+
Jk sand grips not bad at all , i've always liked them but they are a bit noisy on the highway , check thru my earlier post in this thread have written a bit more on the tyres as well.
overall regular use i presume the YOKOHAMA 235 70 R 16 will do good , but i havent tried them myself yet though.
if theres anyone that has used these tyres would be good if you could share - thanks

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2012 at 12:12.
the traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st January 2012, 00:39   #38
BHPian

Congrats for the NEW Jeep. Really thanks to Mahindra, specially the DB Sir & his team for giving us a choice of a new solid axel jeep in the form of DI.
Waiting for your update on highspeed stability & offroad performance once it crosses the desired miles.
Also can you / anyone please update us on the latest pricing? Is there any hike in this year?
Old 31st January 2012, 08:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Congrats for the NEW Jeep. Really thanks to Mahindra, specially the DB Sir & his team for giving us a choice of a new solid axel jeep in the form of DI.
Waiting for your update on highspeed stability & offroad performance once it crosses the desired miles.
Also can you / anyone please update us on the latest pricing? Is there any hike in this year?
Thanks
The guys at CAI mentioned to me that there would be a hike in the price about 25K , however it wasnt in effect when i purchased mine at which was close to 6Lakhs.
Old 31st January 2012, 23:05   #40
BHPian

Hi Traveller

Congrats on the new drive.

I have recently bought the Thar DI too. I read that you have managed to pull the seat back on the rails,would it be possible for you to post some pics of that, I am feeling uncomfortable specially on long drives and just another notch will make a big difference while driving.

Drive Safe.
Old 1st February 2012, 12:19   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Rohit:

Instead of drilling holes in the seat from, it is better to use a 4mm 2 inch C channel to mount the seat. The reason is that the seat is also too low. When you use a C Channel you can move your seat back and also increase the seat height.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2012 at 20:13. Reason: Please share the information here itself, so that it helps out thousands of others. Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 15:00   #42
BHPian

congrats to you too Rohit. Please share some more details about your jeep. Is it also 4wd etc..

Btw, will modifying seating arrangement by driling holes account for any issues for warranty? Like body parts etc? IMO shouldnt even be noticed, but still..
Old 1st February 2012, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Congrats on the Thar Di

OT: attaching pictures of Thar Di with MT tyres & redesigned soft top for your reference. Source: Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-thar1.jpg  

My First New Jeep -  The Mahindra Thar DI Finally-thar2.jpg  

darshan.ckm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 15:45   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshan.ckm View Post
OT: attaching pictures of Thar Di with MT tyres & redesigned soft top for your reference. Source: Facebook
Hi,

Does this vehicle have wider axles? 57" ?

Thanks,

Dhanush
Old 1st February 2012, 16:33   #45
BHPian

@ dhanushs

I don't think so, it might be due to the after market rims the track looks wider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks