Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 09:53   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: My First New Jeep - The Mahindra Thar DI Finally

The Thar Di really puts an end to the exercise of buying scrap army 550's and spending lacs of rupees doing them up. Of course the segment of people using Jeeps kept onroad thanks to salvage used parts will ensure the old yards continue to thrive.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 11:22   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Thar Di really puts an end to the exercise of buying scrap army 550's and spending lacs of rupees doing them up. Of course the segment of people using Jeeps kept onroad thanks to salvage used parts will ensure the old yards continue to thrive.
No sir,Thar Di cannot be considered as a true HARD CORE offroader compared to a scrap NGCS MM550 . Bcaz of its 3.73 diff ratio against 4.88, Narrow tracks compared to wider tracks in NGCS MM550. And even there exist an option of swaping the engines in MM550 to make it as a monster truck. Instead of THAR DI, if M&M would have relaunched the LEGEND, your thoughts would have been right..

THAR DI is MAJOR with doors.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 13:05   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
No sir,Thar Di cannot be considered as a true HARD CORE offroader compared to a scrap NGCS MM550 . Bcaz of its 3.73 diff ratio against 4.88, Narrow tracks compared to wider tracks in NGCS MM550. And even there exist an option of swaping the engines in MM550 to make it as a monster truck. Instead of THAR DI, if M&M would have relaunched the LEGEND, your thoughts would have been right..

Rajith I haven't driven the Thar DI 4x4 so can't comment on its offroad capability but I don't consider the 540/550 particularly worth the effort as offroaders either. I would any day prefer my old CJ3B over both and know it does stuff they can't dream of doing. The point is with mods a new Thar DI is a much better platform to start with.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 13:17   #64
BANNED

sir,

All depends on the grade offroader wish to get in. As offroading starts from Great escape to Avalakonda to Exam AKC to etc...So his machine.

On road prx of Thar Di 4wd should be @ 6.25L in blr and need another 1Lacs to make it as legend specs & MT tyres , you can get a fully done Ex army NGCS 550 with legend specs (with xdp3 engine) and MT tyres @ 4L on road.

It saves @ 3.25L.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 13:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead of THAR DI, if M&M would have relaunched the LEGEND, your thoughts would have been right..
Rajith, what ratios did Legend have?

Quote:
Hehehe

Quote:

On road prx of Thar Di 4wd should be @ 6.25L in blr, you can get a fully done Ex army NGCS 550 with legend specs (with xdp3 engine) and MT tyres @ 4L on road.

It saves @ 3.25L.
Can you explain how 3.25L. BTW, NGCS 550's in second hand market start at what price range?

Quote:
I would any day prefer my old CJ3B over both and know it does stuff they can't dream of doing.
I can sense something coming now.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th February 2012 at 14:17.
Old 4th February 2012, 14:07   #66
BANNED

Hi spike,

Diff-Ratio for Legend (MDI3200TC) 3.73:1(standard for MDI3200TC
or 4.27:1(used on all M&M DI engines).you knowz better..

new Thar DI is @ 6.25L in blr with an additional of 1L ( MT tyres & modded diff ratios+wider tracks - selling of the OE removed spares) makes a total of 7.25L against a 4L of NGCS with MT tyres. So difference is 3.25L.

I have taken NGCS prx as is condition for 2.5L in PB.

Last edited by Rajith : 4th February 2012 at 14:08.
Old 4th February 2012, 14:15   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

There will always be a case for a 2.5-3 lac rebuilt Offroader. I am referring to people spending in excess of 5-6 lacs trying to make a 550 decent. In such cases a new Thar DI I feel is a much better proposition.
Old 4th February 2012, 14:23   #68
BANNED

Quote:
There will always be a case for a 2.5-3 lac rebuilt Offroader. I am referring to people spending in excess of 5-6 lacs trying to make a 550 decent. In such cases a new Thar DI I feel is a much better proposition.
sir,

Again all depends on the grade offroader wish to get in. As offroading starts from Great escape to Avalakonda to Exam AKC to etc...So his Machine.
Old 4th February 2012, 15:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:

I As a MM550 Owner I 100% agree with you Now I spend around 3.8L on my MM550 and still works are pending I may need another 15-20K to make it mechanically perfect but Body works still on hold so What I understand from my experience is If one can afford a new vehicle for Offroading without worry Thar Di is the best one can buy.

But if you have a big pocket for maintenance then Thar CRDe wins all the above. I remember What Manas told at BAOTR "I had spend 7.5+ L for a jeep,I don't know Offroad Driving But It should go where ever I want to go " That is Thar CRDe

Thar Di is a perfect vehicle for Offroad with 4.8 Diiff ratio and It comes with NDMS tyre also so All you need is a set of alloy + AT tyre for your road use and normal OTR. NDMS will do the Job on serious Offroad decently.

There are 3 4x4 Thar Di and 5+ 2x4 Di in my village and all are giving 16 - 18 km/L all are doing 80-100 KM/h most of the driver's are enjoying the speed of the Jeep. Only problem they told is with full load 4x4 doesn't have enough power It need more accelerator than their old 540/cj500Di.

If you don't want to spend time in Workshop and digging the M&M part numbers then Thar Di is the best.
sreejeshmp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 15:45   #70
BANNED

Hi sreejesh,

Please check the diff ratio you quoted below.

" Thar Di is a perfect vehicle for Offroad with 4.8 Diiff ratio and It comes with NDMS tyre"
Old 4th February 2012, 19:50   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Hi sreejesh,

Please check the diff ratio you quoted below.

" Thar Di is a perfect vehicle for Offroad with 4.8 Diiff ratio and It comes with NDMS tyre"
Yes Boss I know its 3.7 and we are discussing it for almost 2 years . What I meant is its perfect with 4.8 Diff ratio (Means you can change it to 4.8) .

- Sreejesh
Old 6th February 2012, 12:50   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Yes Boss I know its 3.7 and we are discussing it for almost 2 years. What I meant is its perfect with 4.8 Diff ratio (Means you can change it to 4.8). - Sreejesh
e

Dear Sreejesh - YES YOU CAN! NOW, MY DEAR SIR, THINK SIMILARLY FOR THAR CRDe. and . HaHaHa.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:46   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp

Yes Boss I know its 3.7 and we are discussing it for almost 2 years . What I meant is its perfect with 4.8 Diff ratio (Means you can change it to 4.8) .

- Sreejesh
I am not sure, but i think it was mentioned long back in one of the thread that the 4.88 ratio gears are not direct fit on DI's diff. There is difference of diff housing or some other part
Not remembering now, but it was i think discussed by Arka & DirtyDan.
Pardon me if I misqouted here.
How about fitting CRDe's diff gears of 4.3 ratio on DI? How feasible is that?
Old 9th February 2012, 22:55   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@offroad:

You have to change the diff carrier when changing from 3.73 to 4.88.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 23:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
@offroad:

You have to change the diff carrier when changing from 3.73 to 4.88.
Thanks.

What in case of upgrading from 3.73 to 4.3?
IRC, the diff carrier for 4.3 & 4.88 is same so no issues for ugrading thar crde diff ratio, but in case of DI, more work is needed?
Also, Is the differential housing (pumpkin) size same for DI & CRDe?

Most Viewed