Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 23:06   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
@tsk - I dont understand your comment about it being a Jugaad. I think this kind of set up is pretty common.

I have attached a pic from the console of 2011 Cadillac Escalade, (for two minutes tune out from fact that the console is confusing with all those buttons ) you can see that the temp knob has dual function of on/off and temp control and there is a third function of blower speed control. I think they decided to multi task here because they have a zillion buttons on console and decided to conserve space.

IMHO mahindra had enough space so no one cared enough to investigate/design a multi-purpose button. It does not imply that it is a jugaad.
You totally missed the point. I will explain below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually my Alto K10 has
. Button for AC
. Rotary dial for temperature. This switches the heater when in red part
. Rotary dial for fan speed

So it is not a very bad design. In fact I would love to have the Ac-0-Heater switch, as with a temperature control knob you can have both the AC and the Heater on simultaneously
So what happens when you switch on the AC, and then put knob to extreme right.
You get hot air with AC on.

Great for demisting in winters.

Now move it half way.
You get warm.

As you get closer to cold, the air gets cold.
So with a simple AC and heater, you can regulate how much cold air you want out of your car.
No climate control, nothing.

Simple mixing of hot and cold.
This system is here in most cars.

Now lets look at the jugaad.

Its autumn, and you feel warm. You switch on the AC, and you feel cold.
What do you do? Keep fiddling with AC every 10 seconds or so.

Now change the scene.
Its raining and very humid. AC makes the cabin very cold. Switching it off fogs up the windshield.

What now?
Switch on heater intermittently.

Mahindra has taken a tried and tested system, of 2 knobs (one for fan speed), and one for temp control, and replaced it with a jugaad.

As for the cadilacc. It has a climate control system. So thats why you have one extra knob for temp control.

It also is built on the simple system.
Fan speed to control air speed.
Temp control(it tells you actual temp) to control the temp of air coming out.

It is not designed such that cold air or hot air will come out.
Hot and cold air can be mixed.

I am not sure what the mahindra system is mixing.

Hot and cold air mixing systems are found in economy cars like nano too I think(M800 definitely has it)
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:37   #152
BANNED

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oh boy, what a complicated system. Looks like Mahindra had a contest on how to make things complicated for the user, and this system won.

all they needed was an AC on off switch, and a hot to cold dial. this has been existing in cars like M800 for over 20 years now.

these small little things bring out the difference between Jugaad and engineering.
friend,
I think you got confused.This AC system is running @ from 2005 when Boleros introduced heater in their AC system.Even SLX/VLX bolero is having same set up with different type of knobs.

Extreme left knob is theromstat ,middle knob is for heater on/off and extreme right knob is for fan speed control.

Fan knob work in combinanation with theromostat or heater. Its simple.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:16   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
friend,
I think you got confused.This AC system is running @ from 2005 when Boleros introduced heater in their AC system.Even SLX/VLX bolero is having same set up with different type of knobs.

Extreme left knob is theromstat ,middle knob is for heater on/off and extreme right knob is for fan speed control.

Fan knob work in combinanation with theromostat or heater. Its simple.
So is it possible to get from cold-hot by moving the thermostat knob.
Is it possible to get slightly cool air by mixing heater and AC?
The system appears set up in a way that (from the dial markings), that there is no control over hot air. Its either of or on.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:23   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The system appears set up in a way that (from the dial markings), that there is no control over hot air. Its either of or on.
Please find ****

**** No, one can get air temp between cold or cabin temp - air flow.

**** Idealy one should not on ac & heater together.With AC thermostat, one can manage air temp between full cool to cabin temp, not hot air.
**** Your right.Hot air temp cant be controlled.Only fan speed can be adjusted.

Last edited by Rajith : 2nd May 2012 at 11:25.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:24   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
This AC system is running @ from 2005 when Boleros introduced heater in their AC system.Even SLX/VLX bolero is having same set up with different type of knobs.

Its simple.
And the Bolero's been India's best selling MUV for six years in a row. So obviously this is the set up that customers want.

Asking for logic? You must be joking, tsk1979.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:05   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2thar View Post
The right side one is for fan speed, middle one is for AC or heat and the right most one is for AC intensity.
The AC is quite effective in Chennai summer while driving in the city. When I am on the highway it is not as obvious since the soft top is flapping around and part that attaches to the tail gate is not secured.
Thanks for the pic - And as another forum member has asked - can you post a pic from the front of the grill - Want to see the FF AC dual fan arrangement.

Whenever you get a chance do post the fuel efficiency that you are getting with the AC.

I have at least the same AC control panel as yours as part of the Approved kit - however the AC is not ECU controlled so curious to understand - how much of an impact does the ECU control have on the fuel efficiency.

And one last question - on the electrical - Does the Dual Fan setup - start working as soon as you switch on the blower - I mean even without the compressor switched on.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:02   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Thanks for the pic - And as another forum member has asked - can you post a pic from the front of the grill - Want to see the FF AC dual fan arrangement.

Whenever you get a chance do post the fuel efficiency that you are getting with the AC.

I have at least the same AC control panel as yours as part of the Approved kit - however the AC is not ECU controlled so curious to understand - how much of an impact does the ECU control have on the fuel efficiency.

And one last question - on the electrical - Does the Dual Fan setup - start working as soon as you switch on the blower - I mean even without the compressor switched on.
Please see ***.

And one last question - on the electrical - Does the Dual Fan setup - start working as soon as you switch on the blower - I mean even without the compressor switched on

*** No, it will not. Condenser fan will work only when compressor knob is on, irrespective of cut off or cut on of the comp.
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:01   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Jeep2thar

Can you please upload a picture of the front grill? Just want to check if it has two fans as per the SOP or if the design has been changed!

Thanks in advance!

Bopanna
I am attaching a picture of the grill. I have not checked when the fans come on and off. So will needto get back to y'all on that.

Also my apologies, I am still getting used to the forum and the rules that govern posting here. It is not clear why the picture I posted earlier of the AC panel inside was rotated!
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-thar_fans_grill.jpg  

jeep2thar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:02   #159
BHPian

2 fans.. do you have any heating issues with the Air Con on ??
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:07   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2thar View Post
I have not checked when the fans come on and off. So will needto get back to y'all on that.
Thanks for the pic - and whenever you get the opportunity - just check if the two fans start when you turn on the blower or they start only when you turn on the compressor as well. ( of course the blower has to be on, to turn on the compressor).

The reason I want to understand is - to see if the FF AC setup is different from the Approved kit one.
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1329
2 fans.. do you have any heating issues with the Air Con on ??
Have been running this setup since October '11 and have had no heating issues at all.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:09   #162
BHPian

I have booked Thar, diamond white. The promised week of delivery is last week of May.
I plan to do some modification to Thar and below is what I have in mind
1. Custom front and back bumpers ( from bimbras)
2. Innovas front seats (from bimbras), open for suggestions for comfortable seats for long drives.
3. Custom console (from Bimbras)
4. dual tone PU coating on dashboard (from bimbras), suggest the color to be used on dashboard
Wanted to go for leather outling of dashboard with PU coating, but not sure where can I get it done in NCR area
5. Cabin sound dampening
6. Preferably half top MS cabin, matching body color (from Bimbras)
7. Roll over bars (from bimbras)
8. Bilstein springs (from autopsyche)
9. Machined black alloys n 31" tyres
10. Custom three side open canopy, incase I go for half top.

I am attaching a photograph of rubicon on net and I plan to build my thar on similar lines. Your suggestions and feedback are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-rubicon.jpg  

Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-mahindrathar4.jpg  

Old 4th May 2012, 14:56   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
I have booked Thar, diamond white. The promised week of delivery is last week of May.
I plan to do some modification to Thar and below is what I have in mind
1. Custom front and back bumpers ( from bimbras)
2. Innovas front seats (from bimbras), open for suggestions for comfortable seats for long drives.
3. Custom console (from Bimbras)
4. dual tone PU coating on dashboard (from bimbras), suggest the color to be used on dashboard
Wanted to go for leather outling of dashboard with PU coating, but not sure where can I get it done in NCR area
5. Cabin sound dampening
6. Preferably half top MS cabin, matching body color (from Bimbras)
7. Roll over bars (from bimbras)
8. Bilstein springs (from autopsyche)
9. Machined black alloys n 31" tyres
10. Custom three side open canopy, incase I go for half top.

I am attaching a photograph of rubicon on net and I plan to build my thar on similar lines. Your suggestions and feedback are welcome.
Hi divesh,
Have you booked with koncept automobiles safdarjung enclave? Can you share the estimate from bimbras, by mail, for the mods you plan to do leaving aside PU coating of dash board, alloys and 3 side open canopy.
Thanks in advance.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:58   #164
BHPian

would love for someone to start up a thar modification thread. I have booked a Silver Thar and have been given a date of mid of july for delivery.

I wanted to go the JK way but i am short of experties guiding me to execute the same. I have access to JK parts as I am remotely located.

So.. i any of the Thar gurus would start up a mod thread, would appreicate it.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:34   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
@tsk - I dont understand your comment about it being a Jugaad. I think this kind of set up is pretty common.

I have attached a pic from the console of 2011 Cadillac Escalade, (for two minutes tune out from fact that the console is confusing with all those buttons ) you can see that the temp knob has dual function of on/off and temp control and there is a third function of blower speed control. I think they decided to multi task here because they have a zillion buttons on console and decided to conserve space.

IMHO mahindra had enough space so no one cared enough to investigate/design a multi-purpose button. It does not imply that it is a jugaad.
Dear Bailee_Jatt_Boy, There are 2 Different buttons in a Cadillac Escalade becase it has a 2 Zone AC. It is the Driver can have a different set temperature and fan speed and similarly the Co Passenger. In Luxury cars it goes on to have a 4 Zone AC also where each passenger gets his own settings. So cadillac dint complicate the dash completely. They were just trying to match up with the German Luxury brands or the American Lincoln's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks