Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:00   #91
BHPian

re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
Got call from sales representative from Koncept Delhi, they are now accepting booking for Thar. As per information provided by him the demo vehicle will be available semewhere around 20th of this months and delivery will commence from 1st week of May.
The question is how many bookings are we going to see without actually seeing the vehicle? I am for sure going to book it tomorrow, how many of you?
Divesh saab, could you specify which Koncept delhi are you in touch with? I've been in constant touch with the safdarjung enclave, Koncept Automobiles, they are still not accepting any bookings, although they confirmed all the changes as mentioned by Mr. Vinod Nookala, they were not sure of the range of price increase. On inquiry, they don't even seem to have the recent brochure available with them, although they accept that it might be available on line. On my insistence, they even corresponded with their Lajpat nagar brach, there also I was told the same story. As far as i know, these are the only two Koncept dealership outlet in Delhi. If your information is right, then I'm being taken for a ride and need to locate another dealer for the THAR. Although every where I enquired, which includes Bhasin motors, everywhere they said that the TD vehicle could arrive by mid May.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:00   #92
BHPian

Hi guys, just spoke to Sireesh auto in Bangalore. The launch date is 15th April. Already 4 New Thars have arrived and also allotted to the future owners. 5 bookings in the pipeline. The executive told me that it would take about 3-4 weeks for delivery. He confirmed the new a/c, heater, immobilizer.
Did not ask about the test drive vehicle.

I forgot to ask about the on-road price and the price hike. But I will know it soon as I'm waiting for the quotation to make the down-payment.

I am so blooDDy excited. I will write about the whole journey of arriving at this decision. Stay tuned.
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:33   #93
BHPian

re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!

Hi Vinod,

Is the A/C control routed through the ECU or is it standalone....
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:46   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
Hi Vinod,

Is the A/C control routed through the ECU or is it standalone....
Vinod has already answered this question below. Yes, the AC has been mapped to the ECU.
Old 3rd April 2012, 18:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
Divesh saab, could you specify which Koncept delhi are you in touch with? I've been in constant touch with the safdarjung enclave, Koncept Automobiles, they are still not accepting any bookings, although they confirmed all the changes as mentioned by Mr. Vinod Nookala, they were not sure of the range of price increase. On inquiry, they don't even seem to have the recent brochure available with them, although they accept that it might be available on line. On my insistence, they even corresponded with their Lajpat nagar brach, there also I was told the same story. As far as i know, these are the only two Koncept dealership outlet in Delhi. If your information is right, then I'm being taken for a ride and need to locate another dealer for the THAR. Although every where I enquired, which includes Bhasin motors, everywhere they said that the TD vehicle could arrive by mid May.
I have messaged you the no. of sales representative that I am in touch with.
Old 5th April 2012, 23:19   #96
Senior - BHPian

As per an article in indiancarsbikes.in 2012 Thar Launched at 6.86 Lakhs almost 80k more than previous version. I feel the new Thar need to be on the main Indian Car page on Team-Bhp as more people would know about it.

Quote:
2012 MAHINDRA THAR CRDE 4X4 SUV LAUNCHED WITH AC AND ENGINE IMMOBIIZER AT A PRICE OF INR 6.86 LAKHS, EX-SHOWROOM DELHI
Link
Old 6th April 2012, 04:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
]
I feel the new Thar need to be on the main Indian Car page on Team-Bhp as more people would know about it.
Guessing it would once someone posts an Ownership Report or we do an official review of the new Thar.

@khan_sultan and @Tejas@perioimpl

Regards
Thomas
Old 6th April 2012, 09:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar website is updated with the new 2012 Thar.
Link
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 13:46   #99
BHPian

This is what FB Page of Thar says:
"Here’s the update everyone has been waiting for! The toughest off-roader Mahindra Thar has been revamped and has some sexy new changes. The much-need AC and heater now come as a standard fitment in the new CRDe version. Also, we want to allay security concerns and have added an engine immobilizer. Log on to www.mahindrathar.com for more details. It’s time to make your bookings! — with Abhijit Sengupta, Arunjith Pv, Mithun Kalleyan and THAR."

Seems only a/c and Engine Immobilizer as upgrade
Old 6th April 2012, 14:00   #100
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the SAME message across multiple threads on the forum. These count as SPAM. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th April 2012 at 10:53.
Invader is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th April 2012, 15:01   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
I have one question which I had asked earlier to DB sir. Guess he missed it. Is there a possibility to change the existing windshield (on the CRDe) to the one that comes in the DI? I so badly need the openable windshield. All i want to know is if the provisions exist. I would like to do it after market. Please point out if there are any disadvantages/potential risks? Thanks in advance.
Dear kryogesh - I remember your query very well but I had chosen to keep quiet because there is a lot of explaining to do from my side and a lot of understanding to do from your side. Now that you have asked the same query for the second time, I guess I need to reply in totality. As the answer is going to be very long, I had typed this at home yesterday night, I am just copying and pasting now. Well, here goes:

Thar CRDe uses the Bolero VLX base IP (Instrument Panel). Why? Bolero VLX is the only vehicle which uses a black IP, all others are either grey or biege. Thar CRDe uses black theme interiors (naturally!). For these volumes, no manufacturer will go for a new injection molding tool costing in excess of 1 crore rupees, so that option is out (it's a no-brainer). Also, as Thar CRDe is BS4 / M1 (not N1) category vehicle (passenger car category so most stringent CMVR norms apply), it needed to meet EMI / EMC as also the very stringent front seat passenger "head impact test" as per CMVR. Only Bolero VLX instrument cluster meets this EMI / EMC, so using it "without changing its part number" (HaHa) becomes a foregone conclusion, because no other instrument cluster (barring Scorpio / Xylo) meets EMI / EMC. Also, as Bolero body tub is a derivative of the MM540 body tub which the Thar CRDe also uses, we needed to use the Bolero aggregate and not the Scorpio / Xylo one to provide for platform commonality. Just for the record, we physically tested and we complied with the severe requirements of the front passenger head impact test which was a huge achievement by any standards, considering the body tub's and the IP's pedigree. This test was conducted on 19 July 2010. It "surprised" many persons, eyebrows got raised! The core team did what needed to be done to progress the project. 19 July 2010 was the positive turnaround date for the Thar CRDe project. It is after this result that things really moved, culminating in the launch on 21 December 2010.

With all this as the background, the rest is still more simple. The Bolero VLX uses a curved windshield glass whereas the MM540 uses a flat windshield glass, so the IP would needed to be cut at its top to match the MM540 body profile. There was a huge discussion on "hydro erosion" and this and that and finally, for the prototype, we took a simple hacksaw and we cut it. . For production, we designed a locating / cutting fixture. The IP is only 3 mm thick all round. When we cut it, as we had expected, it lost it's profile shape as seen in the Bolero. It buckled inwards. It had to be supported properly. So, we designed and manufactured a "U" sectioned strip and incorporated it on top of the IP to hide the cut and to provide a uniform appearance. This "U" section was made on a press brake (so no specific tool) to provide sufficient section modulus (measure of strength). Now, how to hold this "U" section? We used the existing 4 nos M6*1.0 projection welded nuts, which came with each windshield as it was shown on the original MM540 drawing, to hold it. These 4 locations perfectly defined the IP position in CAD and also on the car. This also solved a major assembly line issue, the operator could now "hang" the IP perfectly on the line before using the power tool to tighten the four bolts. The two small brackets have an obtuse angle of 173 degrees built into them to match the windshield frame angle with the IP angle. Now, in order to cover this "U" section, we have provided a rubber cover, which is not cosmetic. It's shore hardness determined the successful result of the front passenger head impact test.

These 4 bracket locations were originally for the latch supports of the "openable windshield". I think now you will be very clear. Now come to Thar DI. It uses the Bolero Maxi Truck IP (as also many other parts including floor panel, tool box and seats). As it is BS3, it does not need to meet EMI / EMC although it also meets head impact. So, it still uses the round instruments and gets away. As it progresses towards BS4, using Thar CRDe IP on Thar DI is a natural / foregone conclusion. There is no rocket science here.

So, you want to do this aftermarket on one car? It is so very simple. Use the existing four holes to locate the latch supports taken from the Thar DI and make four more holes for the "U" strip. Change the bracket locations on the "U" strip. Everything is openly seen on the respective IPs, just look at them critically, that's all. Boundary dimensions are common.

Whew!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 03:07   #102
BHPian

@DB sir, Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation. I am sure this took a lot of time - thanks again for your interest and effort. I must tell you that I have been a silent admirer of yours for the immense passion that you have for the THAR and to see you answering my query was truly a joyous moment for me!

In the beginning things weren't clear, but as I continued to read, things became clearer and I was like "now I understand why the whole background was given".

I am so very relieved that I will be able to make this "modification". I also plan to paint the windshield frame in mat finished black - so its not obvious from outside that this modification is done. I am so looking forward for this. I will keep you posted once this modification is done - first things first, still need to book the Thar!!! Waiting for my dad's "Go"
Old 7th April 2012, 09:25   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
@DB sir, Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation. I am sure this took a lot of time - thanks again for your interest and effort. I must tell you that I have been a silent admirer of yours for the immense passion that you have for the THAR and to see you answering my query was truly a joyous moment for me!

In the beginning things weren't clear, but as I continued to read, things became clearer and I was like "now I understand why the whole background was given".

I am so very relieved that I will be able to make this "modification". I also plan to paint the windshield frame in mat finished black - so its not obvious from outside that this modification is done. I am so looking forward for this. I will keep you posted once this modification is done - first things first, still need to book the Thar!!! Waiting for my dad's "Go"
Dear kryogesh - thank you for your gracious comments. You have made my day. In the original MM540, the windshield frame was black only, as the vehicle was made in Kandivli and the paint shop could do this work as a manual process, but Thar CRDe is made in Nasik which has a completely different paint shop setup which is completely automated so it cannot take a differential color job. Before you paint it black, I suggest you procure and fit the two brackets on the top of the frame which rest on the bonnet when you fold the windshield down. You will agree that a Jeep really come into its own when you use it with the windshield down. The feel is sublime, isn't it? For the dimensions of these brackets from car center line, please PM "Spike Arrestor", he will give you, I do not remember them offhand.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 19:29   #104
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
and ride levels can be set by removing a leaf if one wants a softer ride.
Hi,
In my experience, removing (or adding) a leaf does not make any significant difference.

Could you post the load/ deflection values of the springs used. +- 1 leaf. (Pls. mention the spring part numbers.)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th April 2012, 18:14   #105
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Just got the pricing details from India Garage, Bangalore

Ex-showroom - Rs. 6,82,635
Road Tax - Rs. 1,06,081
Insurance - Rs. 25,102
Registration - Rs. 5,000

On-road price Rs. 8,18,818
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed