Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 13:29   #121
BHPian

Milecruncher the dashboard remains the same as confirmed by Vinod , no changes on dashboard .
Old 11th April 2012, 14:08   #122
AWD
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
AC is pretty effective with the soft top (with some insulating material put under the rear canopy). When I say pretty effective - I mean it gets cold.
The Effect on FE with AC is negligible - less than a km drop per liter is what I have observed
Thanks for the A.C. review carrot. Long time back I hd a Gypsy & got an A.C. installed. Result was that I did get cool air in the front buy rear still remained baked. As rear was not used much hence I got a transparent thick layer of waterproof material installed between the two portions. This increased the efficasy in the front. Affect on FE was devastating, in 4x4 mode doubly so! Thought so with the Thar as FE in the 1st place is no great shakes, so much like Gypsy. Diesel remains the saving grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMASKARAN View Post
FE with the AC also might take a hit.
My wagonR huffs and puffs in Delhi Summers
Thar was not designed to carry an A.C. initially, its an after thought. Think it will not perform as seemlessly as say in Bolero, Scorp. Add to it the fact that A.C. will have to work harder due to softtop, the cabin will never achieve a constant temp. Figur a feature like Climate-control can never work in such an environment. CC is offered in Scorp I guess. I don't mean CC should be supplied in Thar but that it won't be able to function like its meant to.

I don't have any examples or data but gut feeling is that its only in a 3rd World Country like India that a soft top vehicle is equipped with an A.C. from factory. It may be present else-where but not at a place which has such hot weather.

I've had similar experiences like yours with WagonR. Mine were in Gypsy & M800. Tough to imagine driving a vehicle without A.C. now.

Inspite of the fact that Thar will come with an A.C. in softop, I must praise MM for listening to consumer demand & acting on it. Though there's a lesson for them for the future, engineer & develop(R&D) products keeping these factors in mind & not as an after thought.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:11   #123
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
After seeing the price, i'm having a second thought, is it really worth for 8.19 lakhs? Add another 50k for a hardtop and front facing second row seat, it becomes almost 9 lakhs.
Yep, the new Thar pricing does seem pretty steep. It makes the Force Gurkha with hard-top, diff-locks etc at similar price seem like a decent deal now. If only Force can get its act together...

Unless Maruti and/or Tata decide to give Thar some competition, Mahindra can pretty much dictate the price... no other reliable option in the market.
H3LIOS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 17:33   #124
BHPian

Quote:
H3LIOS Yep, the new Thar pricing does seem pretty steep. It makes the Force Gurkha with hard-top, diff-locks etc at similar price seem like a decent deal now. If only Force can get its act together...
@ H3LIOS got excited and called a couple of Force Dealers around NCR. They replied with a Forceful NO. Gurkha is not being manufactured anymore. Only if there is an order of 20-30 vehicles do they entertain any requests....

Last edited by noopster : 12th April 2012 at 13:54. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 11th April 2012, 17:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Well Mahindra fulfilled long pending demand of customer by adding AC and Immobilizer to Thar but at what cost? Vehicle like Thar selling at almost 8.5 lakh on road is too much and I feel it is just sheer waste of money or only pure enthusiast would buy it.

8.5 Lakh would have justified if Mahindra provided quality of JEEP like inside and outside of Thar not just Mahindra 540 fitted with CRDe engine and suspension. A big thumbs down.
Old 11th April 2012, 20:47   #126
Senior - BHPian

Oh no!! Just like a refreshed Thar, this is going to be another refreshed dream-on thread.
Guys who have experienced the past wishlist threads would know what i am talking about.
You could just buy a Thar now and when it is due for a replacement, you could expect this one to be ready.
Am i right BD sir?
But i sincerely hope that TATA and MUL do come up with some good OTR ready vehicles at affordable prices.
@BD: If you are really working on one such vehicle, i sincerely wish you the very best.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I do not know if Thar is doing good numbers or not in the market. But, all Thar threads do superb numbers on TBHP

Last edited by starter : 11th April 2012 at 20:49.
Old 12th April 2012, 12:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Though Im no guru but my take: I highly doubt the efficasy of the A.C. unit with softop. Also the softop is not completely/totally waterproof/airproof, so leakage will be another issue. If a cabin for front 2 seats is created by installing a clear film curtain behind the front seats, some amount of cooling can be acheived.

Affect on FE with A.C. will also have to be seen...

Look around for a thread by GTO, the owner of this site and the owner of a M&M Classic that was refurbished about 3-4 years ago. He runs A/C in his classic and swears by it. Others with rag tops have also said they have no problems. It works good. Wise to plug obvious holes though.
Old 12th April 2012, 13:16   #128
BHPian

Even before the Thar was conceptualized. Had this idea in my head which I am so far not able to materialize due to Vitamin M deficiency.

What will it be like if we mate an Ex Army 550 with a Mhawk engine? I inquired and somebody told me a used Mhawk engine is available in the range of 1lac at Mayapuri. Though I have to visit and check it for myself.

The point here is, if this is possible, you can have a 2.2 Mhawk "Thar-ish" vehicle within 3-4 Lacs range. With all basic bells and whistles.
Old 19th April 2012, 19:13   #129
BHPian

+1 to that

My sanden/unicla ac mm540 with soft top absolutely chilled the rocks off. very effective front and back. superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Look around for a thread by GTO, the owner of this site and the owner of a M&M Classic that was refurbished about 3-4 years ago. He runs A/C in his classic and swears by it. Others with rag tops have also said they have no problems. It works good. Wise to plug obvious holes though.
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:51   #130

I just drove home in my new Thar. Had the AC with soft top and it was quite comfortable.
Old 24th April 2012, 00:49   #131
BHPian

Congrats @jeeptothar , any improvements in the fit and finish ? Drive safe
Old 24th April 2012, 06:26   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71
Congrats @jeeptothar , any improvements in the fit and finish ? Drive safe
Congratulations jeep2thar! Enjoy the ride, cool & safe! Post pics when you can. I had posted some shortcomings in my ownership thread's first post, (link below). Would be great if you can compare that with the new Thar and update improvements if any. Hope this is not too much to ask; as it will help everyone. Thanks in advance, cheers!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 25th April 2012, 07:09   #133

I drove the baby back from the dealer and have not touched it since. Busy at work. Will promise to get some snaps uploaded soon!
Old 25th April 2012, 08:59   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2thar View Post
I drove the baby back from the dealer and have not touched it since. Busy at work. Will promise to get some snaps uploaded soon!
Big congrats on the Thar, it's a wonderful choice, one of it's kind on Indian roads today (hopefully that shall change soon).

What color is your Thar? How long did you have to wait? What mods do you plan?

Do start an ownership thread, will be lovely to see one more of those! Of course first of factory fitted AC on TBHP.

Drive safe, brake well, you need to in the Thar!
Old 25th April 2012, 13:39   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2thar
I just drove home in my new Thar. Had the AC with soft top and it was quite comfortable.
Congrats on your new Thar. I am sure you are enjoying every bit of it. I'm really looking forward for the pics. Which colour did you buy? Did you make some modifications? Which showroom did you buy and how was the service.

I think you will find some time for posting some pics this weekend :-)

Cheers,
Y

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks