Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2012, 08:45   #136
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2thar View Post
I drove the baby back from the dealer and have not touched it since. Busy at work. Will promise to get some snaps uploaded soon!
Congrats Dude! This is going out from one Thar owner to another.

Trust me, it's one capable vehicle. And I am yet to write about my experiences.

Nonetheless, eagerly waiting for the snaps. I just have a question for you. Did you by any chance ask about the AC kit's availability in the dealership?

Enjoy the ride.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:41   #137

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Big congrats on the Thar, it's a wonderful choice, one of it's kind on Indian roads today (hopefully that shall change soon).

What color is your Thar? How long did you have to wait? What mods do you plan?

Do start an ownership thread, will be lovely to see one more of those! Of course first of factory fitted AC on TBHP.

Drive safe, brake well, you need to in the Thar!
@madnish30 -- I bought a Rocky Beige Thar. I have been hounding the dealers for close to 3 months now to get me a test drive so I could order. Luckily for me the dealer ordered for extra vehicles that they gave me one if I paid up front. So far I have no plans on mods. I want to see how the vehicle fits with my life before I throw more money at it. I will very start an ownership thread -- but a little differently in about 2 months time ;-)

I will certainly watch the brake issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
Congrats on your new Thar. I am sure you are enjoying every bit of it. I'm really looking forward for the pics. Which colour did you buy? Did you make some modifications? Which showroom did you buy and how was the service.

I think you will find some time for posting some pics this weekend :-)

Cheers,
Y
@kryogesh - well weekend is definitely time to breathe. I will post some pix here, but will also start another thread. BTW I bought mine at India Garage in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Congrats Dude! This is going out from one Thar owner to another.

Trust me, it's one capable vehicle. And I am yet to write about my experiences.

Nonetheless, eagerly waiting for the snaps. I just have a question for you. Did you by any chance ask about the AC kit's availability in the dealership?

Enjoy the ride.
@Trueintrepid - I did not ask about AC kit availability at the dealership. But if it helps, they did not have ANY accessories except for the bull bar which I did plonk money down for.

Also, while I was trying to get into team-bhp (I had to sign up 4 times!) -- I started a blog if anyone is interested -- Adventures with Mahindra Thar

The photos are too big to upload so I need to fix that. Will get some out here soon.
jeep2thar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 07:20   #138
BHPian

Quote:
I drove the baby back from the dealer and have not touched it since. Busy at work. Will promise to get some snaps uploaded soon!
Congrats jeep2thar on this new baby! Wish very many happy miles at more exotic locales in the country.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 11:12   #139
BHPian

does the new thar with factory fitted AC has temp control for the AC ?

or is it a single position for "cold" and another position for "hot" ?

I am not talking about the blower fan speed..
Old 30th April 2012, 11:45   #140

Quote:
Hi Jeep2Thar,

Congratulations. While I am sure you would do a complete ownership review, it would be great if you can share your experience on the effectiveness of the AC in the Chennai summer?

Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 13:30   #141
BHPian

Have booked the new Thar in Goa.. pricing on road came to 7.43L. dealers dont have much knowledge on the new additions. Even the website is more of a travel brouchure than a car website !!!

Does anyone know whether the new thar comes with ABS and alloys as i have seen most of the owners have alloys and some dealers provide steel wheels. It does come with the AC and engine immobilizer though. I believe that the CRDe comes win Arctic white as well.

but all in all.. its too higher price for a vehicle of sub standard fitments. i mean.. i have seen better finish on the Nano for crying out loud !!
Old 30th April 2012, 16:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I don't have any examples or data but gut feeling is that its only in a 3rd World Country like India that a soft top vehicle is equipped with an A.C. from factory. It may be present else-where but not at a place which has such hot weather.
Mate, unfortunately your gut feeling is wrong.

Jeep Wrangler - Bikini tops come with factory A/c and Soft Top. They are popular in many parts of the world including one of the hottest - the GCC countries, with summer temps going over 50 deg centi.

Jeep - Wrangler is one of the best selling 4x4 vehicles in the region as well.

Yes A/c over works in summer but it keeps the cabin cool.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 30th April 2012, 16:46   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrajan View Post
I will be quite surprised if the FF AC does not have temp control - the approved AC Kit does have temp control knob. The heater though has only on / off position.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:46   #144
BHPian

Does anyone know if the Jeep wrangler JK parts go bolt on on the Thar . Like the bonnet and the front facia with the flares ? also is the dimentions of the thar same as the Wrangler TJ or JK ?? Thr reason why im asking is because i can have them shipped from abroad. I wish to have the hard top off the JK as it looks excellent provided it has the same dimentions as the Thar.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Moderators : pls advice appropriate thread for this post.
Old 1st May 2012, 15:29   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrajan View Post

I am not talking about the blower fan speed..
I uploaded an image that shows you the AC settings. The right side one is for fan speed, middle one is for AC or heat and the right most one is for AC intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam007 View Post
Hi Jeep2Thar,

Congratulations. While I am sure you would do a complete ownership review, it would be great if you can share your experience on the effectiveness of the AC in the Chennai summer?

Thanks
The AC is quite effective in Chennai summer while driving in the city. When I am on the highway it is not as obvious since the soft top is flapping around and part that attaches to the tail gate is not secured.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-thar_ac_console.jpg  

jeep2thar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 18:31   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I uploaded an image that shows you the AC settings. The right side one is for fan speed, middle one is for AC or heat and the right most one is for AC intensity.

The AC is quite effective in Chennai summer while driving in the city. When I am on the highway it is not as obvious since the soft top is flapping around and part that attaches to the tail gate is not secured.
Oh boy, what a complicated system. Looks like Mahindra had a contest on how to make things complicated for the user, and this system won.

all they needed was an AC on off switch, and a hot to cold dial. this has been existing in cars like M800 for over 20 years now.

these small little things bring out the difference between Jugaad and engineering.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 18:53   #147
BHPian

Quote:

Jeep2thar

Can you please upload a picture of the front grill? Just want to check if it has two fans as per the SOP or if the design has been changed!

Thanks in advance!

Bopanna
Old 1st May 2012, 19:03   #148
BHPian

@tsk - I dont understand your comment about it being a Jugaad. I think this kind of set up is pretty common.

I have attached a pic from the console of 2011 Cadillac Escalade, (for two minutes tune out from fact that the console is confusing with all those buttons ) you can see that the temp knob has dual function of on/off and temp control and there is a third function of blower speed control. I think they decided to multi task here because they have a zillion buttons on console and decided to conserve space.

IMHO mahindra had enough space so no one cared enough to investigate/design a multi-purpose button. It does not imply that it is a jugaad.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-console.jpg  

Old 1st May 2012, 19:53   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oh boy, what a complicated system. Looks like Mahindra had a contest on how to make things complicated for the user, and this system won.

all they needed was an AC on off switch, and a hot to cold dial. this has been existing in cars like M800 for over 20 years now.

these small little things bring out the difference between Jugaad and engineering.
Actually my Alto K10 has
. Button for AC
. Rotary dial for temperature. This switches the heater when in red part
. Rotary dial for fan speed

So it is not a very bad design. In fact I would love to have the Ac-0-Heater switch, as with a temperature control knob you can have both the AC and the Heater on simultaneously
Old 1st May 2012, 22:56   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Quote:
@tsk1979: lol, well said and have to agree, though i still have a crush on a few of M&M's products

@all: Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no heater function with those controls, isnt it?

The setup seems to be the same one in the previous gen bolero SLX. The rotary knob for intensity (the one on the extreme left), kept at minimum never used to provide hot air back then. Is it the same here also?

@jeep2thar: Congrats! loads of pics expected buddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks