Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:01   #211
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I personally prefer the 7-toothed grill of the Jeep
However, considering that the Chaff Screen is desirable from a practical angle, I may consider fitting it inside the grill (suitably modified - of course)!!
It could be a little tough to fit if from inside - you got very little clearance to play around there- the dual fan setup, inter-cooler. Anyway I am sure there will be a way if you really wanted it inside the grill.

To my mind, with the dual fans - its even more imp to have the chaff screen - or you'll have all the insects hitting your fan setup.

Mr. Dhabar has given the details on the brake upgrade - Now, I need to figure out how much will it cost ! Any guesses.
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:51   #212
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear cpbopanna - I have replied in the official Thar test thread. Request you to please refer there.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Mr. Dhabhar.

Can you please help me with the Nashik based Roll-Cage manufacturer (the one who supplies to the Thar sold in South Africa?)

Thanks in advance!

Bopanna
Old 4th June 2012, 00:06   #213
BHPian

i would love to have details of the Roll cage supplier too.
Is the Roll cage a direct fit to Indian thar or is any hole drilling ire modification needed.
Is the Roll cage mounted to chassis or body shell.
Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 7th June 2012, 21:52   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Hi Bopanna - I was wondering if you got the delivery of your Thar. if yes - please post pics and an initial review.

Cheers
Took delivery of my Rocky Beige Thar this evening, from India Garage, St. Marks Road.
The executive handling my file, Syed Anjum was most helpful and professional, very unlike the other executives in that set-up!

The drive from India Garage to the temple on Kasturba Road and then home on Old Madras Road was pleasurable, to say the least!

It is very premature to jump to conclusions, but I feel I made the right decision!
I just love the feel!

Planning a trip to Coorg this week-end, will post pictures and a brief review on my return.

BTW for those interested, there is a Toreador Red Demo Thar at India Garage now!!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:19   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna

Took delivery of my Rocky Beige Thar this evening, from India Garage, St. Marks Road.
The executive handling my file, Syed Anjum was most helpful and professional, very unlike the other executives in that set-up!

The drive from India Garage to the temple on Kasturba Road and then home on Old Madras Road was pleasurable, to say the least!

It is very premature to jump to conclusions, but I feel I made the right decision!
I just love the feel!

Planning a trip to Coorg this week-end, will post pictures and a brief review on my return.

BTW for those interested, there is a Toreador Red Demo Thar at India Garage now!!
Congratulations Bopanna and drive safe! Am sure you'll enjoy the ride to Coorg, especially if you are driving all the way to Madikeri. Coming back via titimathi will show you it's capability on bad roads. Worth a try if you can.
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:37   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations on your new Thar Bopanna!!
Am really looking forward to your ownership review.
Please do write in detail your experience with the Thar.
Cheers and enjoy your Thar.
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 01:32   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Mr. Dhabhar. Can you please help me with the Nashik based Roll-Cage manufacturer (the one who supplies to the Thar sold in South Africa?) Bopanna
Dear Bopanna / all - as I had stated before, the South Africa Rollover Bar is the correct part to be fitted in Thar CRDe. However, it cannot be fitted in production as then the vehicle does not remain a 7 seater. Therefore, I had tried my level best to get this roll over bar introduced in domestic through the accessories route but, it is better that I insert a smiley here, you and all will understand! .

Mounting on floor / wheel arch - mounting is by 8 holes in the rear floor and 6 holes in the rear wheel arches, totalling 14 holes. The thread size is M10*1.5. Nuts plates are already welded in the body. Use around 25 mm long allen head bolts. Hex head bolt heads will touch the OD of the pipes, you will not be able to tighten them properly. I prefer 10.9 grade bolts but if not available, 8.8 grade will suffice. Obtain allen head bolts from shops which cater to engineering tool room requirements. If you can get stainless steel bolts so much the better, they will gook nice and shine forever.

Assembling the pieces together - the roll over bar is in 3 pieces, center piece, RH piece and LH piece. Please handle them carefully, there is a 2 degree compound angle designed and built into the side pieces, it is this inward angle from vertical which makes the vehicle stand out as an authentic "Jeep" when you drive without the canopy. The center piece has 2 nos 12 mm thick male mounting points on it whereas the side pieces has 2 nos 12 + 12 mm thick female mounting points on it. The cross bolt size is also M10*1.5. Use approximately 50 mm (2") long bolts. You can use hex head bolts here. For South Africa production, there are U shims fitted to take up the clearances in the cross bolt, but you can use 10.5 mm ID washers. We made shims because production cannot use washers on the line, it takes more time to assemble but you do not have that time constraint.

Use of seat belt mounting points of the South Africa roll over bar - although the bar has seat belt mounting points and it meets the stringent seat belt mounting regulations, I suggest for domestic application, do not disturb the seat belt mounting on the body. The seat belt mounting thread specification is 5/16 UNF (Unified Thread). This is a global standard. There are 4 mounting points on the roll over bar. I suggest that you fabricate RH and LH compatible brackets and support the body's targa band structure from these supports. There are two additional mounting points on the targa band as well, just above the front of the upper seat belt mounting points. Also, there is an M6*1.0 mounting provided on the top of the center piece. Fabricate and fit a bracket to the center canopy support section of the targa band. This will give fantastic support to the targa band, the targa band will not move all over the place, your doors will open and close properly, they will not rattle, the end result will be amazing in terms of body NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).

Your main query, obtaining the roll over bar from the Nasik vendor - well, ask Vinod, I am sure he can work things out, best of luck to him. I don't see any reason why this cannot be sold as an after sales accessory in domestic. You will have to remove the rear seats which in any case most of you are doing. I wish I was the vendor, I would have done roaring business! Now you really know why I placed the smiley up there!

Enjoy!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 8th June 2012 at 01:36. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 08:00   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!. I know this sales guy - pretty friendly and all.

Quote:
This Ganesha Temple - seems to be the standard for new Vehicles - Took mine there too for the puja.

Quote:
Looking forward to reading it.

Quote:
well, ask Vinod, I am sure he can work things out,
Dear Mr. Dhabhar - Thank you for the information - on a unrelated topic - can you please help me on instructions on how to get the approved AC kit - that I have fitted be ECU controlled. I have been trying to get the solution for a long time and Mr. Vinod mentioned that it is not possible. Still wanted to check with you. Please Help.
Old 8th June 2012, 08:18   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see any reason why this cannot be sold as an after sales accessory in domestic. You will have to remove the rear seats which in any case most of you are doing. I wish I was the vendor, I would have done roaring business!
A few possibilities. A. The vendor is contract bound to his principal not to sell it to anyone else. B. He is using some imported raw material that cannot be sold in domestic market. Or his workshop/unit has a EOU status. C. He thinks the domestic market size and return does not justify the hassles of getting into the retail market in an organised way.
Old 8th June 2012, 10:29   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bopanna / all - as I had stated before, the South Africa Rollover Bar is the correct part to be fitted in Thar CRDe.
Do we have any pictures of the Thar fitted with this roll bar on the forum? If you have any pictures, could you please post them here?
Old 8th June 2012, 10:39   #221
Senior - BHPian

There are two different varieties that i've seen.
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-thar3.jpg

and this one..
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-thar4.jpg

Not sure which is BD referring to. @BD??

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Both the pictures are posted on the "Thar She Blows" thread
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 11:55   #222
BANNED

Hi,
MR BD, is refering to the roll over bar fitted on silver thar in the below picture.I got one set now & planning to fit on Thar crde on monday.
Rajith
Old 8th June 2012, 14:18   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
MR BD, is refering to the roll over bar fitted on silver thar in the below picture.I got one set now & planning to fit on Thar crde on monday.
Rajith
Mr. Dhabhar is referring to the one above.
The Roll-cage in the Silver Thar is the regular model sold in India!!
Old 8th June 2012, 15:26   #224
BANNED

Regular model sold in india is having a zipper rexin cover and SA one is black powder coated.I have got the SA one. Same was there in BD sirs 532..
Old 8th June 2012, 17:56   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
A few possibilities. A. The vendor is contract bound to his principal not to sell it to anyone else. B. He is using some imported raw material that cannot be sold in domestic market. Or his workshop/unit has a EOU status. C. He thinks the domestic market size and return does not justify the hassles of getting into the retail market in an organised way.
Dear Sudipto S Team - For SA roll over bar, only "C" is correct. Even if he gets people to pick up from Nasik, there will be a queue outside his factory, what's he waiting for? Any enterprising businessman can work around "A". "B" is not applicable.

Above photographs - the first photograph (from rear the right side) is of the vehicle fitted with the SA roll over bar, taken in SA. Please note that the cross pipe fitted at the top backside between the RH and LH pieces is NOT a part of the roll over bar, it is just a support for the TRANSIT COVER which we had developed in Nasik and which the SA dealer was supposed to remove and throw away before selling the vehicle in SA. The points where it is fitted is for the rear seat safety belts, homologated to SA requirements. Also, if it is fitted, the vehicle will not look like "Jeep". However, due to some reason which we do not know, the dealer sold the vehicles with the transit cover, customers actually liked it (besides saying that it was a little loose) and we actually got requests to supply more of them. . Please refer the SA photograph for your use. Rajith, please post detailed photographs / description of your vehicle fitted with the SA roll over bar, including mountings.

The second photograph is taken in the compound of the Parsi Fire Temple in Devlali, 22 kms from Nasik plant on 12 February 2009. The vehicle is the Europe specification LHD homologation prototype. I had made this one particular 3" diameter hand stitched genuine black leather covered roll over bar in Nasik as a development exercise (and, finally for "my" Thar -ahem!). A lot of good effort, time and cost went into making it as a one-off piece. It has nothing to do with the SA roll over bar. Please do not refer to this photograph. Dear Bopanna - do not even attempt to compare this with the contraptions that the dealerships are selling. This one was done with full passion, not for business!

Dear Rajith - my Thar registration number was good ol' MH01V521 and not 532. Kya yaar! Just kidding.

Dear Carrot Eater - nothing is impossible. Everything can be done. Somebody needs to get his nose to ground and do it. And by the way, the brake upgrade does not cost much but market dynamics may dictate otherwise! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 8th June 2012 at 18:06. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks