Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2015, 11:41   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugathan View Post
Adjusted the steering stopper bolt, the turning radius is better than before.
Your steering stopper bolt will start scraping your dampers/shock absorbers now. You will see scruff/marks scratches on the dampers..
Old 10th June 2015, 15:35   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saw something unpleasant when I had been under the jeep, oil leak around the sump pan and around the lower bolt of the timing case on the FIP side. The jeep has not as yet completed 1k kms. Called the Mahindra guys, will need to take the jeep one of these days. What can I expect? If the sump gasket needs a replacement, will I have the bear the cost of the oil?
Dear Sugathan - please do not open anything just like that, please post photographs, I'll tell you what to do or what not to do!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th June 2015, 16:27   #153
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,
I adjusted the steering stopper bolt to reduce the steering radius, ensuring that the tyres don't rub against the damper and the anti roll bar. In the process, i saw the oil leak. Attached is the picture. I have not removed anything.
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-oilleak.jpg

Will be taking to the service guys tomorrow. So any pointers as to what i can expect will be helpful.
sugathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 18:35   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sugathan - tell them to replace the engine breather / oil separator under warranty.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 18:53   #155
Team-BHP Support

Is there a similar steering stopper that can be adjusted for Thar CRDE? I know the system might be quite different, still checking
Old 10th June 2015, 20:24   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sugathan - tell them to replace the engine breather / oil separator under warranty.
The engine breather / oil separator is the black cap with a hose at the top of the valve cover, used to fill in engine oil?
Old 11th June 2015, 20:24   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Your steering stopper bolt will start scraping your dampers/shock absorbers now. You will see scruff/marks scratches on the dampers..
Sugathan, I meant that the bolt from the brake caliper will scrape your shock absorbers not the stopper bolt.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:49   #158
BHPian

The timing cover gasket and fuel injection pump gasket and the FIP mount bolt was replaced. Don't see a leak now. Will wait and watch. I had asked them to check the engine breather / oil separator, they told it was fine.
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:31   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Adjusted the steering stopper bolt, the turning radius is better than before.
Quote:
Sugathan, I meant that the bolt from the brake caliper will scrape your shock absorbers not the stopper bolt.
Happened to me. The bolt from the break caliper made some real dents on the dampers after I tried to increase the turning radius after adjusting the stopper bolts. Break fluid leaked, breaks malfunctioned. then I jacked up the jeep from the front end and adjusted the stopper bolt to a position where I felt that even if the steering is rotated to both ends with maximum force, the bolts from the break calipers wont scrape the dampers. Is there any remedy to increase the turning radius and not let the bolts from the break calipers fighting with the dampers?
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:25   #160
BHPian

I suppose the only solution is to go in for the 57" axles from the pik-up or invader.
sugathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 02:54   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose the only solution is to go in for the 57" axles from the pik-up or invader.
If you look backwards in this thread to around post #104 or so you will see that MM550 axles from Mayapuri were considered. Can somebody with knowledge tell us if these MM550 axles really are a simple direct bolt into the Thar Di?

I am seriously considering purchasing a Di and going this route.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 5th August 2015 at 02:57.
Old 5th August 2015, 20:46   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Can somebody with knowledge tell us if these MM550 axles really are a simple direct bolt into the Thar Di?
Yes, you can buy the front and rear Axles from the NGCS 550 and it is direct bolt on. I done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I am seriously considering purchasing a Di and going this route.
Take mine. All mods out of the box. I got CRDe fever lately .
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 13:50   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you can buy the front and rear Axles from the NGCS 550 and it is direct bolt on. I done it.

Hi Tini,

This is good news and good to know. This gives you some options. 4:88 crown gears badly needed up here in the big hills along with the ability to negotiate hairpin turns backwards and forwards on the slopes.

Sent an email to you the normal way.
Old 16th August 2015, 09:15   #164
BHPian

Got the differential converted to 43/10. The drive is just perfect. Replaced the speedometer driven gear with 20T, still see an error of about 10% w.r.t GPS. I suppose using 22T will also cause an error.

According to this calculator

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

using driver gear of 7T and tyre diameter of NDMS as 28.937 (according to MRF spec sheet - 735mm), i get the driven gear of 20.957T. so using 21T will seem more apt, but i understand that there are 2 gears of 18T,20T and
22T.

As Thar crde is using 4.3 axle ratio, does it come with 21T? or does it use 20T and the difference handled at the speedometer?
Old 5th December 2015, 21:56   #165
BHPian

I recently bought a Thar DI PS 4 wd as replacement for my 2012 Thar DI 4 wd.However,the fact that they have included a EGR ECU grates.Can it be taken out without a lot of complicated work..The new Jeep seemed out of breath when pushed above 60 km /hr,unlike my 2012 DI.(done for only a brief period keeping the run in speed in mind).Thanks

The paint job was a pleasant surprise,so were the reclinable seats and the low fuel warning light.The price for the PS is a little steep, but the overall finish seemed better than the 2012 DI.Army rims and a roll over bar are next on the list.Would be grateful for hints on knocking out the EGR ECU,without adverse effects on the engine.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th December 2015 at 22:20. Reason: back-to-back

Most Viewed