Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2015, 11:29   #166
KMT
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

On a new jeep where the EGR has not been gummed up with soot as yet, disconnecting the vaccum tube from the actuator should do it. Pls confirm with your Mech, mine told me this and its what I have done on my CRDE.
Old 6th December 2015, 20:59   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
The paint job was a pleasant surprise,so were the reclinable seats and the low fuel warning light.
Good to know that they have added these features.

Quote:
Would be grateful for hints on knocking out the EGR ECU,without adverse effects on the engine.
What I did is to use a small sheet metal plate to block the point where the Exhaust gas flows from the Exhaust back into the air intake. So even thought the EGR is enabled, it doesn't allow any exhaust gas to flow into the intake manifold.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 22:12   #168
BHPian

Thanks for the information. Does the exhaust gas recirculation cause harm to the engine with significant loss in performance. Another change in the DI is that the tool box has been shifted to the left passenger seat side,as AWD suggested ,to allow the driver's seat to be reclinable and more adjustable.
Old 7th December 2015, 10:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Does the exhaust gas recirculation cause harm to the engine with significant loss in performance.
Hello Zach.

EGR has been introduced to make BSIII engines exhale cleaner than before. By re-introducing exhaust gases into the engine, the unburnt fuel gets used up thereby emitting cleaner flue gases. This in turn means that your engine get lesser Oxygen at the inlet manifold than a Non - EGR engine. In layman terms, your engine is asthmatic! By blanking out the EGR, your engine will definitely get cleaner and fresher air to breathe. Simultaneously, I would recommend you to bypass your cat-con too. Since it is a new engine, your Thar's emission will still be within the spec. Oh, and by the way, I own a Bolero Di and I have got the cat-con bypassed and the EGR blanked. The engine is breathing freely now!

Cheers
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:24   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall, I am very happy with my Thar DI after the upgrades. My only gripe is the lousy tractor engine. I only wish Mahindra would put a better engine with more bhp/torque and less noise. Even the M2DICR engine from Mahindra which comes in the latest bolero is 63 bhp? Today hatch backs with sub one liter 3 cylnder engines make more power than that. It is a shame to make this output from a 2.6 DI CRDe engine.
Old 7th December 2015, 12:44   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My only gripe is the lousy tractor engine. I only wish Mahindra would put a better engine with more bhp/torque and less noise. Even the M2DICR engine from Mahindra which comes in the latest bolero is 63 bhp? Today hatch backs with sub one liter 3 cylnder engines make more power than that. It is a shame to make this output from a 2.6 DI CRDe engine.
Dear Tini - get your hands on a "certain 4*4 army ambulance" and drive it, you will understand what I am mentioning. I believe the "second one" is still standing "there"!

I bet you, like me, you'll forget Thar DI - forever! (double power, my friend, double power). ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th December 2015, 07:07   #172
BHPian

Thanks Wild Child:-)) The mod is a priority.I need to find the right tinker to perform a foolproof job.The Isuzu 4x4 is a good vehicle but for the overhang--I feel more at ease now after reclaiming the Thar DI- simple and rugged-- proven engine,though nothing fancy- easily maintained ,and the gears especially when shifting from high to low felt much better than the crde with brakes hardly being used for slowing ,the gears slotted in easily; Good low end grunt- leafspring suspension,and now with Bucket seats and PS.Cochin has become a BS4 city,however managed to get it on another address- soon the DI in its current form will no longer be available in Kerala which is poised to become a BS4 compliant state.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:53   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I believe the "second one" is still standing "there"!
Trust me Sir, If I could jump that fence, I would steal it and buy an old Sumo RC Book and use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I bet you, like me, you'll forget Thar DI - forever! (double power, my friend, double power).
Unfortunately, as of now it remains a dream, so we have to look at other options.

Since, there seems to be a remote chance of the civilian version of the Ambulance, I am doing the next best thing possible.

Buying a new 4x4 Bolero Medium Wheel Base, buying a second hand Thar CRDe as organ donor and transplanting, the powertrain, dash and electronics.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 14:12   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Buying a new 4x4 Bolero Medium Wheel Base, buying a second hand Thar CRDe as organ donor and transplanting, the powertrain, dash and electronics.
Hey

Just a wild thought. Check for possibility of shoe horning the Thar CRDe's Gearbox, Transfer Case and front axle in a Bolero VLX Storm.

That
should be a killer combo !

Cheers !!

Last edited by wild child : 9th December 2015 at 14:15.
Old 26th December 2015, 20:51   #175
BHPian

Wishing all the Thar DI owners out there a Happy and Prosperous New Year 2016.After selling my first Thar DI,in 2013,my mind was ill at ease.till the PS version was parked in my garage this month.Let's cherish what we have,.It's strengths outweigh it's cons when compared with the crde although it is no Classic,Moreover,With the threat of a ban on 2 litre plus diesel engines looming large,and the new emission norms,the thars ,both DI and CRDe,in its present avatar may be discontinued, in the not too distant future,unless a drastic rethink occurs on the part of the judiciary and the Government.One in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.Happy Driving !

Last edited by Ronnie Zach : 26th December 2015 at 21:07.
Old 25th February 2016, 21:31   #176
BHPian

Guys need help on this one. I have a 2006 mm550 ngcs which I restored recently. But I don't know now if the egr is working correctly. I need to know if the solenoid switch allows the vacuum to pass to the actuator when cold or when the engine is hot. Also need to know where the ecu gets the temp input from. Is it the thermal sensor for the temp gauge ? Would appreciate the wiring details of the egr ecu.
Old 1st December 2016, 13:38   #177
BHPian

Dear ALL,

Do we know if THAR DI 4x4 is still in production. I have booked THAR DI 4x4 at a local dealership but unable to get the vehicle. Dealer says that they are receiving only 4x2 versions with new m2dicr engine and 4x4 is yet to be delivered from the plant. Are there any contacts that can verify this?

The calls to customer care at Mahindra is always routed back to dealerships.
Old 24th April 2021, 19:11   #178
BHPian

Hello 4X4 Addict,

Bringing alive this old but beautiful thread, what is the latest update on the Thar? Since there aren’t many Thar DI ownership thread here a general curiosity is always evident.

Had a laymen’s question, is this the same DI turbo engine which came in Scorpio earlier (before CRDe) ? If yes, then can altering the gear ratios help in churning out additional power and torque from the engine?

IIRC, The DI turbo Scorpio used to produce 109bhp/275Nm torque whereas Thar DI produces 63bhp/182NM torque.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks