Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 13:42   #91
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Do you mean the suspension setup? Its leaf springs on all fours in Di.
Hi there

Regret for the typo.

I wanted to ask whether the front and rear wheel track is the same, unlike the 4x2 one which comes with IFS and leaf spring setup in the rear.

Also, can you please share some photos, specification, modification of your Bolero 4x4?

THanks

Last edited by wild child : 14th June 2013 at 13:45.
Old 14th June 2013, 17:17   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi 4x4addict,

That is a LOT of stuff done on your Jeep. The dashboard looks much better now. It's a bit unfortunate that with everything getting to desired levels, you'll still be stuck with an engine which is not matching up. Any scope of increasing the power/torque of the DI engine?

Cheers,
Adi
Exactly, I do have the same question in my mind.

May I suggest an answer ?

Its time for a CRDe engine, seriously

Sudarshan
Old 15th June 2013, 14:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello 4*4 Addict,
- I was under the impression that AC and PS cannot be installed onto the Thar DI. How is the AC performance & any overheating issues?
- What were the costs involved in this modifications?
PS can be quite easily installed, as this engine is offered with PS in Bolero DI 4x4 and Bolero Pick up 4x4. OEM Assembly can be used. It will cost about 35K for new PS components.

AC is a royal pain to install and needs to done with care. The only place to locate the compressor is on the passenger side top of the engine. Some modifications of the radiator return hose, diesel filter etc are required. You also need to make custom pulley that takes three belts. My AC is effective and there is no heating issues at all. AC installation with Bolero components will cost you 35K, but it can be done for about 25K using OEM Thar DI dash and Super King blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mate, your stuff aint for the faint hearted! Amazing patience you have I must say.
These Hella Blades for the wipers - are they available across vehicle types and models?
Thanks mate. Can you imaging buying a new vehicle for 6.2 lakhs and then spending a year with your mechanic. I swear man, I hate Mahindra !!!. Why can't they just offer a Delux Thar DI with PS & AC and slot it between the DI & Thar CRDe, I am sure it will find many takers.

Hella wipers are avl in all sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hey Tini , great job man !
I think once the axle swap is done you will be having a great jeep and you will be a happy man .
Cheers !
Thanks man. It won't be a great jeep, until I can do something about the engine. The engine sucks everywhere except on dirt..

Quote:
OT: All the above problt to go against Thar DI & crde to some extent, (including my limited budget), so i bought Bolero 4x4 instead. Apart from AC, it ticked all my requirments.
I too wanted to go for Bolero 4x4 regular wheel base but when I enquired, they were offering only the long wheel base Bolero 4x4 with high back Tamil Nadu. I think you made a wiser decision. The Thar looks cool, but end of the day it is just not worth the time and money one has to put into it.

Quote:
Any one from Mahindra, please take some clues from above mods for bringing out another version of Thar
I wish, but we all know it ain't happen. We will are more likely to see a Quanto pick up than a better Thar DI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Does is get dusty because of the partial vacuum created right behind the rear door flap
OT - Does the Bolero Di 4x4 come with same front and rear or does it differ like in the 4x2 avatar?
The dust comes in through the bottom of the rear flap. There are ways to seal it completely but since I am going for a hard top, I am just ignoring it for mow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Looks brilliant Tini!
From what vehicle are those seats from?
Those seats where made by Rohan George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi 4x4addict,
It's a bit unfortunate that with everything getting to desired levels, you'll still be stuck with an engine which is not matching up. Any scope of increasing the power/torque of the DI engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Exactly, I do have the same question in my mind. Its time for a CRDe engine, seriously
Sudarshan
I have done some basic research on this and plan to do the following:

Step 1) Adjust the Turbo waste gate to increase pressure & retune the pump for more fuelling.

Step 2) Put the bigger Turbo from Scorpio M2DI that makes 75 bhp along with Inter cooler.

Frankly, I don't want to mess with engine so I am keeping it stock for now.

Once the Wrangler is launched, I may pick it up and sell this one depending on the price Wrangler is launched at.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 15:22   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
PS can be quite easily installed, as this engine is offered with PS in Bolero DI 4x4 and Bolero Pick up 4x4. OEM Assembly can be used. It will cost about 35K for new PS components.
Hello 4*4 Addict,
Can you confirm that PS comes standard in Bolero DI 4x4? The website shows that it has a manual steering?!
Link :-http://mahindrabolero.com/models_spe...s.aspx?model=4

Regards,
Varun
Old 15th June 2013, 18:47   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Can you confirm that PS comes standard in Bolero DI 4x4? The website shows that it has a manual steering?!
There are two versions. The version that is available in all markets is a high roof long wheel base DI version that doesn't have power steering.

There is a regular wheelbase version available in selective markets that has Power Steering. There are two forum members who have bought it and one who has ordered it. Search team-bhp and you should be able to find the details.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 08:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Re: Latest Upgrades

Quote:

I have sourced the 57" OKBJ and 53" FFRA from a 2007 NGCS 550, but have not had time to install it yet. I am also working on a hard top which should be out in a months time.

Once again, I would like to warn people not to get too inspired by my thread and get a Thar DI. Frankly you really gotta like pain to go through what I did to come this far.. Just get a Thar CRDe and keep jeeping...
Tini, could the leaking DI windshield likely be fixed with the addition of a hardtop? Or is it the hinge edge or both?

I am still thinking getting a DI. All I want is PS, a serious heater (but not A/C), a hardtop and army axles and their 4:88 differentials....and some seats of course.

What is the attitude of your mech shop? Do they want to get it done right or do you have to stand on their necks with both feet?

As a CRDe owner I assure you that are going to be disappointed at the lack of low speed power and some dicey-ness in handling above 80kph or so. Handling is great below that, though.

I am still hoping something pops up on the market, like maybe from Maruti. Otherwise, I may follow your lead and inflict much pain on myself.

M&M stands for masochism, twice over.
DirtyDan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 09:11   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful work on the Jeep Tini!!.. Even though at a cost, you've managed to transform the Di, to an extremely user friendly machine! Please get innova or better seats, your Jeep deserves it!

Also, why stick on to stock meters with a premium dash? Why not change those too?

Quote:
I have done some basic research on this and plan to do the following:

Step 1) Adjust the Turbo waste gate to increase pressure & retune the pump for more fuelling.

Step 2) Put the bigger Turbo from Scorpio M2DI that makes 75 bhp along with Inter cooler.

Frankly, I don't want to mess with engine so I am keeping it stock for now.
IMO, The Di's turbo mostly helps emissions rather than power (?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Tini, could the leaking DI windshield likely be fixed with the addition of a hardtop? Or is it the hinge edge or both?
Hi DD,

IMO, water leaks through the rubber beading on the glass. Its been the same for many years, and god only knows when it will change.

The only +ve of an openable windshield is that, if you keep it slightly open, you can somewhat prevent dust entering from the rear open part of the canopy. It slightly changes air circulation.
Old 16th June 2013, 10:16   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a CRDe owner I assure you that are going to be disappointed at the lack of low speed power
Hey DD,
Wouldn't switching to 4.5 diffs on your crde help?
Maybe also an ecu remap?
Is the low end grunt that bad?
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 16th June 2013 at 10:25.
Old 16th June 2013, 16:09   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you see the DI windshield frame just like the 4WD MM550/MM540 doesn't have a proper beading. It has a thin rubber strip that is pressed against the A-Pillar Frame. The leak is from this beading. It has nothing to do with the top. The top never leaked.

Quote:
I am still thinking getting a DI. All I want is PS, a serious heater (but not A/C), a hardtop and army axles and their 4:88 differentials....and some seats of course.
Why don't we swap our Thars :-)

Quote:
What is the attitude of your mech shop? Do they want to get it done right or do you have to stand on their necks with both feet?
Thank fully after tinkering around with jeeps for many years, I know have a team of people who can be given the responsibility with occasional supervision. I never had to sit on their head or any other sensitive parts..

Quote:
I am still hoping something pops up on the market, like maybe from Maruti. Otherwise, I may follow your lead and inflict much pain on myself.
Frankly Dan, I think you should just buy the Racechip from Germany and chip your Thar. Don't for for DI, it is just not worth it, especially if you don't have access to good mechanics. Forget about anything from Maruti as they are happy selling their bread and butter (read boring cars). Gypsy exists only due to govt orders, otherwise it would have been canned years ago.

Quote:
M&M stands for masochism, twice over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, why stick on to stock meters with a premium dash? Why not change those too?
For any electromechanical gauge the sensor and gauge has to match. The latest Bolero guages are all digital including the potentiometer for the speedo. These are not compatible with the Thar DI sensors/cables. I thought of using the older mechanical gauge from the first gen Bolero pick up but then again, I wasn't sure if I will end up with incorrect readings for temperature and fuel level which can be a disaster so I just stuck with the old gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
IMO, The Di's turbo mostly helps emissions rather than power (?).
True, the only reason we have a Turbo DI and NGT520 is because of emission norms. Mahindra is not a company that likes progress by choice. Most improvements are forced on them by the govt. I can assure you that if there was no emission norms the 5 Speed NGT520 and DI Turbo engine wouldn't exist.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 09:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
...Is the low end grunt that bad?
Hi Deepak

I have driven a few Thars before they hit the showroom. I have also driven a couple of Bolero VLX. My observation is that both these vehicles, from acceleration point of view, have a similar behaviour. I press the clutch, slot the gear and release the clutch by pressing the accelerator simulataneously and it is like " is my accelerator pedal connected to the engine or not ?? " Absolutely no throttle response for a couple of seconds. The ECU takes its own sweet time to sense that somebody is literally stamping the gas pedal. In my opinion, this time is very crucial for the low end grunt. This delay could be the real culprit behind the so claimed "bad low end grunt". This has never been observed in the Bolero Di or Thar Di wherein the accelerator is cable type and not a potentiometer as incase of Bolero VLX or Thar CRDe. The Bolero Di may not be a road runner, but surely a good amount of low end grunt can be sensed.
To really have a feel of what I have observed, here is what you can do.
1. Start the Thar CRDe
2. Let the engine to idle.
3. Dab the accelerator pedal a little bit and release it immediately.
4. See if the engine RPM increases. Can be noticed by the RPM meter or by engine noise.
5. Do it again quickly ( apply, release). Check for any RPM increase.
6. Do the above activities in a Di engine fitted with a cable type accelerator pedal and you will feel the difference immediately.

Cheers

W_C
wild child is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 04:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post

... I press thehicle clutch, slot the gear and release the clutch by pressing the accelerator simulataneously and it is like " is my accelerator pedal connected to the engine or not ?? " Absolutely no throttle response for a couple of seconds. The ECU takes its own sweet time to sense that somebody is literally stamping the gas pedal. In my opinion, this time is very crucial for the low end grunt. This delay could be the real culprit behind the so claimed "bad low end grunt"....

Keen observation. It may well be a poorly programmed ECU (or ECM as M&M likes to call it). If it is then perhaps an aftermarket chip would remedy this.

The delay in CRDe response is maddening and dangerous when you are trying to pull out quickly and make a turn thru a small break in traffic. You hit the throttle and nothing much happens for 2 seconds while that Ashok-Leyland Army truck comes barreling down on you.

Tini, did you get those Army MM550 jeep axles and differentials installed yet? Should make a HUGE difference in how this vehicle performs.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd September 2013 at 04:14.
DirtyDan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 11:22   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=DirtyDan
Tini, did you get those Army MM550 jeep axles and differentials installed yet? Should make a HUGE difference in how this vehicle performs.[/quote]

Yes Dan, I finally got to install the 57 inch OKBJ front axles and the 53 inch Fully floating rear axles along 47/9 (4.88) crown Pinion ratio from a 2007 NGCS Army 550. I feel this is the best option for Thar DI, if you have 31 inch tyres.

I also added an aluminium spacer at the rear to bring the rear track also to 57"
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi5widetrack2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi5widetrack1.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi5widetrack5.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi5widetrack6.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi5widetrack4.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 18:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Dan, I finally got to install the 57 inch OKBJ front axles and the 53 inch Fully floating rear axles along 47/9 (4.88) crown Pinion ratio from a 2007 NGCS Army 550. I feel this is the best option for Thar DI, if you have 31 inch tyres.

I also added an aluminium spacer at the rear to bring the rear track also to 57"
Nice! I like your front bumper, too. Have you noticed how well it takes hills now? I'll bet it eats Thar CRDe's for breakfast on a hill. Did you have any problems installing the MM550 Army axles and diffs? How/where did you get the axles and how did you decide the diffs were okay?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 8th September 2013 at 19:00. Reason: am stupid sometimes
Old 8th September 2013, 20:19   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! I like your front bumper, too. Have you noticed how well it takes hills now? I'll bet it eats Thar CRDe's for breakfast on a hill. Did you have any problems installing the MM550 Army axles and diffs? How/where did you get the axles and how did you decide the diffs were okay?
With 31 inch tires the 4.88 is the right ratio. The low end Torque is great which helps in the hills. However, there is no denying the fact that this is a 63bhp/19kgm engine. However, I did a few changes, like blank out EGR, remove CAT con & tweak the deisel pump to up the power little bit. I am also planning to tweak the Turbo waste gate soon as I can get my hand on a boost guage.

The axles are available in the used market in delhi/Mayapuri. Best to take a trustworthy mech to identify a good set. As long as it is an up opened set, it should be fine.

The NGCS MM550 axles are a direct bolt on fit for any NGCS Thar DI chasis.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 21:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

You would have done well to have just bought the chassis from Mahindra and done the body yourself, brilliant stuff, cannot wait to see the hard top go on, it would complete the project. What you have done is the best of both worlds, the toughness of the Di with the creature comforts of the Crde and without the disadvantages of the Crde
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed