Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 13:09   #121
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Thanks for the prompt reply Mr Behram.I get your point.However ,I am not thinking in terms of production norms or fuel efficiency.4x4(Tini) ,Arka,Samurai (and of course you,whom we should thank for keeping the jeep thing alive, by bringing in the fabulous thar crde) and others have been constantly innovating and fine tuning their respective mahindra jeeps ,to achieve the edge on trials which jeeps were designed for;not on road manners.After having sold off my classic mm 340 dp ,spoke alloys and all,for a pittance:-( and then having to sell off the thar di,due to other considerations),I feel only remorse.Am on the hunt again for a simple, rugged ,no nonsense, reliable jeep,with good ground clearance,good approach and departure angles ,good crawl ratio ,good articulation and most importantly good low end grunt for the terrain I mentioned earlier, from what is available today.Hope to buy one in the near future,before they think of quanto engines etc.Thanks once again.Regards ,Ronnie
Old 24th February 2015, 16:53   #122
BHPian

Will the Thar DI be able to do what the older jeeps used to do in the hills, if the axle ratios are changed.The answer I suppose is yes.The force Gurkha 4x4 soft top is an option ,but with IFS. The thar crde's IFS has been converted by a few on this forum to leaf springs .Would be grateful if anyone who has done this modification, give feedback on its performance,both pros and cons.Thank you.
Old 25th February 2015, 12:21   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
Is the present DI with the stock engine good enough to handle most of the hard off-road steep inclines ,if the crawl ratio is improved by stepping up the crown pinion ratio to 4.88.
I live in Coonoor, in Niligiris, Tamil Nadu, so most of my driving is on hilly terrain. I am running 4.88 Diffs with 265/16 tyres (31 inches). I have no problem in climbing any incline. Besides, I have blanked out my EGR, removed my Cat Con increased fuelling on my pump (not idle screw but fueling screw) and also open up the turbo waste gate fully.

Quote:
The force Gurkha 4x4 soft top is an option
The Force Gurkha is not an option at all in it's current form. Very poor driving dynamic, interior ergonomics and underpowered engine..

Quote:
The thar crde's IFS has been converted by a few on this forum to leaf springs.
There are a number of instances of the axles breaking post solid axle conversion for Thar CRDe. Looks like the front solid axles is designed for the power output of the MDI3200 TC engine and is breaking once you put more powerful engine. Hence, this route is no longer advisable..
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 16:13   #124
BHPian

Well,Thank you very much.I guess if one can take the trouble to make the neccessary modifications,the thar DI should be able to take one through hell and back countless number of times,albeit a little slower than the crde.Hoping to book another one soon.Thanks once again 4x4 addict
Old 19th March 2015, 12:06   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Fuel guage shakes like hell. It keeps oscillation between one en to the other and you really need to stop the vehicle to find out how much fuel is left.
Hello 4X4addict, I was curious to know if this was a fault in your Thar ? or is this same on all Thar Di vehicles ?
Did you fix this somehow. I also have the same observation with my MM550 and is very annoying. The fuel guage is rattling from 0-100 when I am driving.
Old 19th March 2015, 14:40   #126
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad:) View Post
Hello 4X4addict, I was curious to know if this was a fault in your Thar ? or is this same on all Thar Di vehicles ?
Did you fix this somehow. I also have the same observation with my MM550 and is very annoying. The fuel guage is rattling from 0-100 when I am driving.
Hi Guys,

The Fuel Gauge (Float/Sender Unit) has to be oriented Diagonally, when fitted to the Diesel Tank, usually there is an arrow on the Float and that has to be aligned with the arrow on the Tank.

If the Float is facing forward wrt to the Float arm/Pivot then it will move back and forth (acceleration/braking) and the error will show on the Fuel Gauge.

If the Float is facing sideways wrt to the Float arm/pivot, then the error is show in off-camber situations i.e Side-Slopes.

Also the Float and Fuel Gauge are paired by the Manufacturers.

Pricol Float use a Pricol Fuel Gauge.
Veethree Float use a Veethree Fuel Gauge.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 17:06   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...Besides, I have blanked out my EGR, removed my Cat Con increased fuelling on my pump (not idle screw but fueling screw) and also open up the turbo waste gate fully...
Hi, Tini. I am wondering what your seat-of-your-pants-ometer is telling you about these engine and exhaust modifications you have done. Can you tell the difference? I blanked out my EGR and did not think it accomplished anything until I went up a very steep hill I go up almost everyday. The difference was quite noticeable. Worth doing for sure.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 16:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad:) View Post
My Thar Di 2wd behaves the same way. I like it though! Gives the jeep feel. One can always stop on a surface without an incline and get a fair idea about the balance fuel.
Old 15th May 2015, 17:50   #129
BHPian

Will be getting my Thar DI 4WD in a couple of days. I checked the vehicle today, and found that the windshield has been changed to sealed type like the CRDEs. I actually miss the open-able one, though have used both, and found that the sealed ones actually serve better during rains, and the open type good during dry weather.

Another interesting thing that i got to know is that, my thar di has been transported by a trailer and NOT driven from the factory . Got to understand that when the trailers don't run full, they accomodate DIs. The odo reads 302kms.

Not sure if there are any more changes, have not as yet taken delivery, so will post my thoughts after i pick it up.
Old 16th May 2015, 13:37   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugathan View Post
Will be getting my Thar DI 4WD in a couple of days. I checked the vehicle today, and found that the windshield has been changed to sealed type like the CRDEs. I actually miss the open-able one, though have used both, and found that the sealed ones actually serve better during rains, and the open type good during dry weather.
Dear Sugathan - hello to you. Openable windshield, if kept open will prevent most of the dry road dust from entering inside the vehicle when the tailgate flap is also kept open. This was the actual reason why openable windshield was provided from the CJ3B days. Therefore, wiper pivot was within the windshield.

Why openable windshield is removed now from Thar DI? Two simple reasons = cost saving / closure of quality issues! OK, so why did it come on Thar DI in 2010? Again two simple reasons = no change to MM540 parts / retained so that it could be removed after 4 years to show cost saving and fill goal sheet (this is done very regularly, nobody even questions)! .

Why did it not come on Thar CRDe in 2010? One simple reason = because I quietly used the four latch mounting holes to locate and mount the Bolero adaptation instrument panel, without which I could not use the Bolero VLX instrument cluster, without which I could not get BS4 (EMI / EMC compatibility), without which Thar CRDe would not have sold! QED!

Now you can see how the actual reason gets left out by the wayside? Now you can ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS: same story for the foldable windshield frame complete in CJ & CL models, this was and is a Jeep attribute, this gives the Jeep its character, it was removed many years ago because the rectangular box section pipe "could not be bent properly", oh come on now. I hope same nonsense does not happen in Thar! People have stopped thinking. They only work on presentations, which is the only thing that seems to get them their promotions these days!

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 16th May 2015 at 13:46.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 14:18   #131
BHPian

Dear DB Sir,

thanks for the explanation. Yes, the open-able windshield does give quite some character to the Jeep. Anyway i suppose it solves the leaking issue. But i find the foldable windshield latch missing, so i suppose the windshields are not foldable now.

Its pretty sad to see that there is rust in quite a few places, somehow doesn't seem acceptable in a vehicle that has just come from the factory.
Old 18th May 2015, 10:46   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugathan View Post
1. I find the foldable windshield latch missing, so i suppose the windshields are not foldable now. 2. Its pretty sad to see that there is rust in quite a few places, somehow doesn't seem acceptable in a vehicle that has just come from the factory.
Dear Sugathan - I have numbered your comments. Answers are as follows:

1. There are two things, one is the "openable windshield glass" and the other is the "foldable windshield". Are you mentioning that in Thar DI, the hinge for the foldable windshield is eliminated? I am asking because some such thing was going on in the name of "cost saving"! I hope this feature is retained because it is a Jeep USP. Also, just for your information, in the original MM540, there were 4 nos 8.5mm diameter holes in the top of the windshield frame in which two channel brackets were fitted. The center postions of these brackets were rubber impregnated to prevent scratching the bonnet when the windshield glass was folded down and rested on it. Although in the MM540 bonnet there were no footman loops to tie the bonnet down, in the original drawings of the AMC CJ5, these dimensions are available. Footman loops of the CL vehicle can be used. All this finally makes the Jeep look like the Jeep! It is indeed sad to see that this DNA is getting eroded.

2. "Sir, vendor issue Sir" / "Sir, already informed for process improvement at vendor end Sir" / "Sir, vendor person e-mail is there Sir" / "Sir, gate buy-off score trend is improving in 12 MIS Sir" / "Sir, sufficiency plan for March 16 is ABC-XYZ Sir" / "Sir, we have given cut-off number Sir" / "Sir, this case is before cut-off number Sir"! You must note that "Sir" is the only important word in this communication, where all these dialogues are wonderfully delivered and exquisitely presented. Everything else (if you really analyse in depth) is plain and simple drivel. Tea is also served, without saucers to all, with service tea and seaprate sugar bowl for the guys who never get tired of listening to all this all day, day after day, month after month, "meeting after meeting"! Now, if there is still rust in the vehicle that you inspected and if by chance you decide not to buy, no problem, some other poor soul who is not on Team BHP will buy! I can only .

These things need to be realized and acted upon properly, instead of what happens above, because only the human mind can think, nothing else can think! Sugathanji, times have indeed changed, but not necessarily for the better!

ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st May 2015, 11:29   #133
BHPian

Dear DB Sir,

The hinge for the foldable windshield is still present, but the windshield clamp and the hook kit inside is missing, so i suppose the windshield is held in place by a plate bolted on to the firewall. By the look of it, the hinge is totally covered by a plastic like film (like a lump of fevicol dropped over it ) and doubt if it will ever move.

I did finally pick a thar di that had least rust spots. Surely the quality isn't something to be desired.
Old 21st May 2015, 19:45   #134
BHPian

Interestingly, I find that my Thar DI has an ECU for EGR. It is placed near the fusebox. I also find the vacuum line running to the EGR valve. Would like to know how this combined system works? As I understand, the non ECU EGR Valve was controlled by vacuum, so now how does the ECU actually help?

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 19:48. Reason: Formatted text
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:34   #135
BHPian

Have a question for the people who have converted the differential ratio from 3.73 (41/11) to 4.27 (47/11), As the pinion has the same number of teeth (11), Can only the carrier and the crown be changed, retaining the pinion?

And would this differential modification void the warranty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks