Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 23:44   #16

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

I just got the delivery of my Thar DI and i am planning similar upgrades
1.changing the front differentials to bolero 160 pcd
2.changing the rear diffs with 139 pcd army lsd and putting 2'' spacers.
3.31x10.5xR15 cooper stt tyres with alloys
4.bolero power steering
5.warn M12000 winch
6.wurth undercoat
7.hella 4000 lights
8.6'' fenders wrangler type.
Old 15th September 2012, 00:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a good jeep , from the stock to modded ,very well done . Drive safe . The mod list is exhaustive , may be if you can share the cost of the mods too !
Old 15th September 2012, 02:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tini, you have a knack for making meticulous intelligent mods. You also express yourself eloquently and simply. This just proves out what I have been saying right along, that I.T. people are God-like creatures and we are lucky having them live amongst us. People should bow down to them on the streets and send them money in large denominations.

Do you have one shop down there in Chennai that you trust to do all this work or do you have to spread the work around?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 15th September 2012 at 02:16.
Old 15th September 2012, 09:17   #19
BHPian

Can you please share the details of Auburn Gear 19 Spline LSD ? price & availability ?
Old 15th September 2012, 10:38   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Now that I have had my Thar DI for about 6 months and done 10,000 kilometers,

So the million dollar question is should you the Thar DI instead of the Thar CRDe. The simple answer from a jeeper who has owned and driven almost all jeeps made by Mahindra is a resounding NO. Pick the Thar CRDe and get the DI only if you can check the most of boxes below

___ You cannot afford the CRDe Thar.
___ You plan to use it 80% off road and 20% on road.
___ You have the knowledge, resources and patience to alter the diff ratio, seats, tyres, etc.
___ You use your vehicle for work to carry load/workers etc..

If you look at the On road price of the DI and CRDe AC there is almost 2 Lakh difference on the road, but when you look the extras the CRDe provides, it is well worth the difference.

I bought the Thar CRDe because of my profession. I needed a vehicle that can carry me, material and labour to the estates and to construction sites without worry about IFS etc... Besides, I have a Scorpio 4WD which I use for my Touring.
Need your advice Sir , ( taking in to account your experience of using various vehicles & the above wonderful write up )

I am in a fix to get a CRDe Or Di , I want a 'New' reliable Jeep for duties similar to yours .

What I need it for ,

1) Farm duty , moderate off road ability required , should go where the lwb Land Rover goes

2) Occasional trailer pulling ( 1.3 tons gvw trailer , with run-over brakes ) - On & off highway

3) On & Off road running is 50/50

4) require moderate speed of 80 Kmph on highways ( will be lees with trailer )

5) comfortable ride for my Dad ( age 82 ) who travels along with me .

6) Wont be making any mechanical as well as body modifications ( may be just adding winch )

7) wont look/ think about price tag if the difference is 1.5 lakhs

Thanks for the very informative & to the point report ( such sharings are rare )

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 11:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think Point No. 5 would make a Thar CRDE a much better proposition. As the rest of the points get less important with the presence of this point.
Old 15th September 2012, 13:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hi Tini,

You took your time revealing the mods. Looks good, and it is quite different than the usual mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecon6199 View Post
1.changing the front differentials to bolero 160 pcd
2.changing the rear diffs with 139 pcd army lsd and putting 2'' spacers.
What is the connection of PCD to differentials? Also, why different PCDs front and back? Will you be carrying two spare tyres, for each PCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You also express yourself eloquently and simply. This just proves out what I have been saying right along, that I.T. people are God-like creatures and we are lucky having them live amongst us. People should bow down to them on the streets and send them money in large denominations.
Tini isn't an IT guy.
Old 15th September 2012, 16:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Tini isn't an IT guy.
It's a pity. He shows such promise from time to time. Maybe after a couple more lifetimes he can join us.

Anyway, Tini, I would like to know if you got all this work done at one place. One option for me is to buy one, put some seats in it and drive on down there and have the same people do to mine pretty much what they have done to yours. I am still looking for a trustworthy shop within 5 hours of me or so. No luck yet and I have always wanted to get a look at Chennai and the South, so....
Old 15th September 2012, 18:33   #24

@ Samurai different pcd at front and rear will be taken care of with spacers cum hub pcd converters. ie 160 pcd
Front differential I got is from a bowler 4WD SO IT'S 1600pcd with 57" track width and rear differential is from army non NGCS 550
With lsd .so no option but to convert rear pcd with 2"" spacer cumulative converter .
Old 15th September 2012, 20:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
The mod list is exhaustive , may be if you can share the cost of the mods too !
Sorry, prefer not to share costs on public forum. Please PM me for any specific costs you are want to know.

Quote:
Hi Tini, you have a knack for making meticulous intelligent mods. You also express yourself eloquently and simply. This just proves out what I have been saying right along, that I.T.people are God-like creatures and we are lucky having them live amongst us. People should bow down to them on the streets and send them money in large denominations.
Thanks Dan, I am into construction, but I will gladly take money in large denominations from anyone who is willing to give me

Quote:
Do you have one shop down there in Chennai that you trust to do all this work or do you have to spread the work around?
For anything mechanical like changing diff ratio, installing LSD, etc, I go to Muhamadd Ali in Chennai. All other fabrication for bumpers, etc is done in coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Can you please share the details of Auburn Gear 19 Spline LSD ? price & availability ?
I bought them in the USA. http://www.4ws.com/powertrain/axle/l...l=244&cat=5537
They are very heavy to bringing them down will be a problem/expensivee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Need your advice Sir , ( taking in to account your experience of using various vehicles & the above wonderful write up )
I suggest you go for CRDe since you Dad will be travelling with you. The DI is to agrarian for anyone but a healty and hardened jeeper to use. It is bumpy as hell and very crude too. As I mentioned, DI is pretty much an off-road only vehicle or a work vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I think Point No. 5 would make a Thar CRDE a much better proposition. As the rest of the points get less important with the presence of this point.
I agree with navpreet.

Quote:
Hi Tini,
You took your time revealing the mods. Looks good, and it is quite different than the usual mods.
Thanks Sharath.

Quote:
Tini isn't an IT guy.
Although I did do a stint like 90% of Indians in US

Quote:
Anyway, Tini, I would like to know if you got all this work done at one place.
Dan let me know what work you want done, and I can suggest where to do it, depending on the work.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 23:07   #26
BANNED

Quote:

2) Occasional trailer pulling ( 1.3 tons gvw trailer , with run-over brakes ) - On & off highway

Sudarshan

Would be interested to know how you will achieve this with a Thar CRDe.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2012, 21:14   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Would be interested to know how you will achieve this with a Thar CRDe.

Cheers
I dont understand this ,why you say this ? what could go wrong ?
Or how its not possible ?

I cant see any difficulty , it has a box/ tube chassis ( better than the old C ) , more powerful engine ! needs a good L plate on rear bumper thats all it needs [ I think ]

If there are any factors that prohibit the CRDe from pulling a Trailer , please explain

Sudarshan
Old 17th September 2012, 07:43   #28
BANNED

Quote:
I dont understand this ,why you say this ? what could go wrong ?
Or how its not possible ?

I cant see any difficulty , it has a box/ tube chassis ( better than the old C ) , more powerful engine ! needs a good L plate on rear bumper thats all it needs [ I think ]

If there are any factors that prohibit the CRDe from pulling a Trailer , please explain

Sudarshan
This is what was explained about the tow hook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear gthang - (here I go once again) - as per CMVR (I do not make CMVR, I just implement it), fuel tank is a regulated component which calls for it being where it is, so no "K" member on the chassis, so no tow hook in production. Period. If tow hook is in production, then we need to meet CMVR on it, which calls for a plethora of tests. Also, the fuel tank is common to Bolero VLX, so no development cost, no lead time, no problem. I have been saying this for a very long time, but somehow it does not seem to register. Therefore, please understand. Further, our great customers will complain if I don't give a footstep, so a rear footstep comes in. If you still want a tow hook, you can always do it on one car, it's no big deal, see the army MM540s out there, it is there on all of them and it works too. Go and buy one from the great Mayapuri, they will sell you the whole thing for around 1500 bucks. Paint it black and fit it, that's all.
Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
I'm just curious if that bumper is good enough for your load, and if not, what reinforcement will you do? How good a job can you do welding reinforcements as far as trueness to chassis is concerned since you will not be welding in a jig. What, if any, effect on the chassis might happen after loading, etc. Trailer towing is of interest to me as well.

Assume Thar DI chassis rear end is same.

Cheers.

Last edited by gthang : 17th September 2012 at 07:49. Reason: typo
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 12:04   #29
BHPian

Slightly off topic

I've never driven a non NGCS vehicle, I would like to know what would be the differences between an NGCS and a non NGCS contender?
Old 17th September 2012, 14:17   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - reading your posts about changing axles and using adaptors to match pitch circle diameters left right and center scares me. I am dead seious. Please ensure that in your quest to developing and realizing your passion, you don't sacrifice reliability of the vehicle. Please remember this. I have seen perfectly rational and intelligent people waste a huge amount of their hard earned money to do nonsensical things to their 4WD vehicles. It is not easy to make a wheel adaptor. It will not work if it violates engineering principles. It is very easy to get carried away by macho stories floating around, especially in the macho world of 4WD.

So, go ahead if you must but please be careful. You know that I am an optimist by nature, so I am not being pessimistic, I am just being realistic.

Dear gthang - Thar DI and Thar CRDe rear end of the chassis belong to the same family but there are subtle changes. For one vehicle, you can fit the MM540 pintle hook channel but I cannot guarantee reliability of the system unless it goes through the due diligence of design and CAE. By the way, as your name details indicate that you are based in Coimbatore, please PM your contact number to me. I visit Coimbatore quite regularly in relation with "work". We can catch up.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks