Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 00:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
....So the million dollar question is should you the Thar DI instead of the Thar CRDe. The simple answer from a jeeper who has owned and driven almost all jeeps made by Mahindra is a resounding NO. Pick the Thar CRDe and get the DI only if you can check the most of boxes below

___ You cannot afford the CRDe Thar.
___ You plan to use it 80% off road and 20% on road.
___ You have the knowledge, resources and patience to alter the diff ratio, seats, tyres, etc.
___ You use your vehicle for work to carry load/workers etc...
This is the BESt part of this thread! Makes it so easy to decide on which version to buy!

Quote:
I bought the Thar CRDe because .....
Sorry, but I am royally confused now!! Did you actually buy the CRDe or the DI?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st September 2012 at 00:29.
Old 21st September 2012, 09:42   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I will assume that it wasn't an mSparrow that you dropped into it.
Dear Ken - certainly not, no way! That would have needed complete re-engineering work. In today's scenario, with the Quanto now in the system, it will be beneficial to adapt that engine and get tax benefits.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st September 2012, 10:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM

Dear Ken - certainly not, no way! That would have needed complete re-engineering work. In today's scenario, with the Quanto now in the system, it will be beneficial to adapt that engine and get tax benefits.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Right sir.
With 24 kgm of torque, this 1.5 ltr Quanto engine can do duty in Thar DI + add PS, or 2wd version of CRDe with some price reduction.
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Interesting new-age motor, the Quanto Motor. Two turbos allowing a small displacement diesel to crank out 100hp. Ford has been using a two turbo approach on some of their vehicles for a few short years now. Upon demand a small turbo, being small, kicks in with almost no lag and in effect jump starts the larger turbo. One of the effects is a cleaner burn of fuel. Another is power.

But the Quanto motor is not the motor that went into MH01V521, I am guessing. Maybe its big brother?

Might the Quanto motor replace the MDI3200tc across the board or is that too big an engineering/production task? Will it, could it, be put into the Thar DI? If so then both Thars may get the same engine...in which case maybe Mahindra will drop one Thar altogether?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 22nd September 2012 at 01:59.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But the Quanto motor is not the motor that went into MH01V521, I am guessing. Maybe its big brother?
My guess here is it was the CRDe itself, but with a different tune / some modifications. Why ? Because a different engine there would have meant that the test vehicle is not aligned to the intended future product.
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:50   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My guess here is it was the CRDe itself, but with a different tune / some modifications. Why ? Because a different engine there would have meant that the test vehicle is not aligned to the intended future product.
Dear Condor and Ken - MH01V521 was prepared for one purpose, to demonstrate the capability of the platform to prospective customers. I have photographs of the vehicle taken before EXAMM on 25 June 2010, with the bonnet open and people having a look, so it is no great secret. The engine was "basically same" as production Thar CRDe. I cannot post the photographs as they are more than 1MB in size which cannot be posted on the forum.

By the way, there are many other ways to enhance performance in the vehicle besides the engine. I exploited all of them, I knew the result before I started EXAMM, therefore, the actual result was not a surprise at all. It just did what it was supposed to do.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:31   #52
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM

Dear Condor and Ken - MH01V521 was prepared for one purpose, to demonstrate the capability of the platform to prospective customers. I have photographs of the vehicle taken before EXAMM on 25 June 2010, with the bonnet open and people having a look, so it is no great secret. The engine was "basically same" as production Thar CRDe. I cannot post the photographs as they are more than 1MB in size which cannot be posted on the forum.

By the way, there are many other ways to enhance performance in the vehicle besides the engine. I exploited all of them, I knew the result before I started EXAMM, therefore, the actual result was not a surprise at all. It just did what it was supposed to do.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
For those who weren't at EXAMM but wondering, there were other vehicles there too which did it as comfortably. I think while Mr Behram's Thar did well it wasn't known at that time that the actual Thar would be different which came as a surprise. Theoretically speaking, the stock Thar DI would have done EXAMM as easily, maybe with a crown pinion change to 4.27. Right Mr Behram?
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:51   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
For those who weren't at EXAMM but wondering, there were other vehicles there too which did it as comfortably. I think while Mr Behram's Thar did well it wasn't known at that time that the actual Thar would be different which came as a surprise. Theoretically speaking, the stock Thar DI would have done EXAMM as easily, maybe with a crown pinion change to 4.27. Right Mr Behram?
Dear AVR - wrong! It will need 4.88:1 to even come close and the torque curve of the engine would need to be tweaked as well. The vehicles which provide assistance in Great Escapes can be used as reference! They never seem to get stuck! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 18:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
17) Ironman Gas Charged Shocks
Your Thar looks different now. Your comments regarding the performance of these dampers ^^

Quote:
Hi Tini, you have a knack for making meticulous intelligent mods. You also express yourself eloquently and simply. This just proves out what I have been saying right along, that I.T. people are God-like creatures and we are lucky having them live amongst us. People should bow down to them on the streets and send them money in large denominations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Would be interested to know how you will achieve this with a Thar CRDe.
Knowing Sudarshan and his DIY stuff, I am sure he can do this simple job.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Behram, Do you think there is a reason, why no one in Mahindra top management drives around in an MM540/MM550 or Thar DI?
Besides chauffeur driven public, to drive around, one must know how to drive.

Spike
Old 22nd September 2012, 20:26   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear AVR - wrong! It will need 4.88:1 to even come close and the torque curve of the engine would need to be tweaked as well. The vehicles which provide assistance in Great Escapes can be used as reference! They never seem to get stuck! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
sir can we change the torque curve in a(please non crde) DI engine?if so how?
Old 24th September 2012, 13:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Nice review and pictures. The Jeep looks fresh in the white colour. I always wondered about why there are no Thar DI owners here. But your thread clears all doubts. Thanks for posting the review and clearly mentioning the bottom line.

Quote:
Pick the Thar CRDe and get the DI only if you can check the most of boxes below
___ You cannot afford the CRDe Thar.
___ You plan to use it 80% off road and 20% on road.
___ You have the knowledge, resources and patience to alter the diff ratio, seats, tyres, etc.
___ You use your vehicle for work to carry load/workers etc..
On Saturday, I had driven my cousin's Thar CRDE and I am hooked to this machine. One day I will get the CRDE version in my garage I don't know if I will ever go off-roading, but the Thar is now a must have item on my agenda list !
Old 24th September 2012, 18:38   #57

Got the front differential converted after lots of running around
Attached Images

Old 26th September 2012, 14:45   #58
BANNED

this can be Off Topic
BUT
since I am hell bent on buying a 'New' Jeep , here I saw one of them being 'transported ' on temp plates . These are carrying passengers

Q 1 ) Are we buying pre run Jeeps , btw this is not a new practice ,I have been seeing this from ages , but what I feel wrong here is that its been still carried out in modern times .

I will be watching & posting this wrong practice

1) Caught , at the Pune bye pass

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-dscn3543.jpg

Sudarshan

2) The Q & A after caught , the driver got afraid , he was sweating [ firstly I thought he will come after me, I was cautious , ready to take off any moment , big Mustach , dark face OHH ]

But he was really shaken ( unbelievably ) Repeatedly asking : sir please , whats wrong sir ?? Did I make any mistake Sir ? Dont take my pic Sir ! Please I am sorry ,why this Pic sir ??

My Dad ( Answering ) : we want to buy 'THIS ' Jeep , thats why we are taking pics , dont worry

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-dscn3545.jpg
Sudarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 15:13   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Q 1 ) Are we buying pre run Jeeps , btw this is not a new practice ,I have been seeing this from ages , but what I feel wrong here is that its been still carried out in modern times .

That explains why mine got delivered like this: (From TVS Cochin)
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-img_20120905_082524.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-img_20120905_082535.jpg  

Old 26th September 2012, 17:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That's a nice way to deliver a Jeep. Kudos, TVS, Kochi!!

Sudarshan, I think most of the jeeps are still driven down to showrooms down South. Very possible that this can happen.

Most Viewed