Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 21:55   #76
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

May be its a Jeep thing!! A Happy Jeep thing..

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-thardi-026.jpg

To be on a serious note, I think the steering should be like in pic 2 when wheels are straight. Atleast for a manual steering.
BTW, is it like that only when parked or even while driving straight?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 6th October 2012 at 22:13.
offroad_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:38   #77
BHPian

BHPians,
Can anyone explain technically, if Mahindra major/ thar di is carrying the same engine and gear box of bolero then why Mahindra major/ thar di is having a better pickup than bolero?

What top speed has been achieved on Thar di 4x4?

Last edited by (Alok) : 27th March 2013 at 13:54.
Old 27th March 2013, 15:34   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
BHPians,
Can anyone explain technically, if Mahindra major/ thar di is carrying the same engine and gear box of bolero then why Mahindra major/ thar di is having a better pickup than bolero?

When you look up the specifications of a car, don’t get fooled by the numbers. Sometimes the smaller, innocent looking hatchback can be a much faster or more powerful car than that big burly SUV you’ve been thinking of.
It’s the same reason Formula 1 teams spend millions of dollars in making their cars lighter, and slamming diets and gym routines on their drivers. Power-to-weight ratio is a key factor that differentiates the performance of one car from another.
Power to weight ratio is the key
Here’s how you calculate the power-to-weight ratio of a car:
• Look at the car’s power output (bhp figure).
• Look at the cars’s kerb weight (unladen weight).
• Divide the power output by the kerb weight.
• Multiply the figure by 1000 to get the bhp-per-ton figure.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 21:11   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

I can think of two reasons:

1. Power to weight as Rajith mentioned
2. Axle Ratio (is it different?)
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 21:29   #80
BANNED

Quote:
BHPians,

Firstly is it the same engine as you say , not talking about external similarity ,cc etc .

Secondly even if it is ( the block , head , crank & CC ) , could there be some difference in tuning , Cam & timing etc ??

Also plus one to above two gents , the power to weight ratio & diff ratios can make the difference .

Though on a lighter note , the Thar seems to be more Aerodynamic

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 00:01   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Latest Upgrades

My Thar DI has now done about 20,000 kms. Overall, I have not had any issues with the vehicle and am quite happy with it. My biggest grip is the engine, which is under powered, crude and noisy as hell. When I am in the hills, the low end torque is nice, but on the highway it is a really pain to drive and there are times, I really wish I had gotten the Thar CRDe instead of DI.

I have done a few upgrades since the my last post. Details given below:

1) Bolero Dash with Bolero AC Blower Assembly, Center Console, & Music System. In the original dash, there is no easy way to install a blower as I have described in this thread earlier. I wasn't very happy with the few installations that I had seen where a Unicla blower was used, like we do on MM550s as it sticks half way into the passenger foot well. Hence, I decided to install a Bolero dash with OEM Bolero AC Blower assembly. It was quite an effort as all mount points for the dash and Blower assembly have to be completely fabricated from scratch. You need a very good tinker to do this otherwise they will mess it up.

I used the existing meters as Bolero comes with digital meters. I thought of using the earlier manual meters from the first bolero pick up, but I wasn't sure if there will a mismatch between the reading and the sensor. I also added volt meter and oil pressure gauge.

I also fabricated a center console to mount the stereo. The console also has a lockable compartment just in case I need to keep anything valuable. I also added a Pioneer Stereo with 9 inch oval speakers at the back. Since there is no proper space to install speakers, I just keep the speaker box lying under the rear seat. I have added detachable connectors to the speakers so I can take the speakers out just in case, I need to load up stuff.

2) Thar CRDe Soft top & Roll cage.
I added a Roll cage for safety as the original rods that hold the canvas are very flimsy and offer no protection in case of roll over. The roll cage is made from seamless pipe and bolted onto the floor & B-pillar. The Thar DI soft top isn't that great as it is fitted very loose with lots of air gaps. At high speeds, it flutters like hell and makes a huge racket spoiling the driving experience. I changed to CRDe soft top which is much better sealed and silent. It also looks much better also.

3)Front facing foldable Third Row Seats.
Since I use my jeep for work, I need the side seats as I sometimes need to carry 4 to 5 people. When I go with family, my kids find it difficult to use the side facing seats. So I came up with a solution to pad the wheel arch and also install foldable front facing seats. When my kids are traveling with me, they use the front facing seats. Otherwise I keep them folded and people can sit on the cushion above the wheel arch. The seats can also be removed fairly easily. The rear is strapped on to the floor using a latch. The seats can be reclined also.

4) Windshield Changed to CRDe. The Thar DI came with the opening type windshield frame. It is not very practical for a number of reasons. There is lots of rattles from the hinges. It also tends to leak badly in heavy rains. Rain water comes on the inside of the jeep when driving in heavy rains. Besides the few times I tried to drive with the windshield open, the noise was unbearable. Anyways, I went for the Thar CRDe windshield and beading. I also changed the wiper stalk to the Bolero type which as a much strong spring. I also changed the blades to 12 inch hella blades. The results are fantastic and the glass is clear in any rain. These changes can be done to any Thar/550/540.

5) Power Steering. Since I do a lot of driving in the hills, the manual steering was becoming a pain, so I went ahead and installed the Rane Power Steering assembly from the Bolero 4x4.

I have sourced the 57" OKBJ and 53" FFRA from a 2007 NGCS 550, but have not had time to install it yet. I am also working on a hard top which should be out in a months time.

Once again, I would like to warn people not to get too inspired by my thread and get a Thar DI. Frankly you really gotta like pain to go through what I did to come this far.. Just get a Thar CRDe and keep jeeping...
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-accondensor.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-bolerodash.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-bolerodash2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-centerconsole1.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-centerconsole2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-fixedglass.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-frontfacingseat1.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-frontfacingseat2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-frontfacingseat3.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-frontfacingseat4.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-frontfacingseat5.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-meterassembly.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-ps-box.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-ps-hose.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-rollcage1.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-rollcage2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-rollcage3.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-rollcage4.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-speakerbox.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharcrdesofttop.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-towplateandhitch.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 00:39   #82
BHPian

Hello 4*4 Addict,
That’s one extensive list of changes that you’ve done to the Thar. Shows your commitment to improvement.

You lucky to have knowledgeable mechs at your disposal.
Have some queries though. Hope you will oblige:-
- I was under the impression that AC and PS cannot be installed onto the Thar DI. How is the AC performance & any overheating issues?
- What were the costs involved in this modifications?

Regards,
Varun
Old 14th June 2013, 04:26   #83
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My Thar DI has now done about 20,000 kms. Overall, I have not had any issues with the vehicle and am quite happy with it. My biggest grip is the engine, which is under powered, crude and noisy as hell. When I am in the hills, the low end torque is nice, but on the highway it is a really pain to drive and there are times, I really wish I had gotten the Thar CRDe instead of DI.

Once again, I would like to warn people not to get too inspired by my thread and get a Thar DI. Frankly you really gotta like pain to go through what I did to come this far.. Just get a Thar CRDe and keep jeeping...
Mate, your stuff aint for the faint hearted! Amazing patience you have I must say.
These Hella Blades for the wipers - are they available across vehicle types and models?
Old 14th June 2013, 08:18   #84
BHPian

Hey Tini , great job man !
I think once the axle swap is done you will be having a great jeep and you will be a happy man .
Cheers !
slalom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 09:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
These Hella Blades for the wipers - are they available across vehicle types and models?
I think yes. I had Hella blades for my Spark but did not find it better than Bosch.
Old 14th June 2013, 09:17   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict

I have done a few upgrades since the my last post. Details given below:

WoW, hats off to you for doing all this stuff.

Must say that the jeep looks much more desirable now. Wish Mahindra brings out a new revamped version of Thar with all your mods, including Bolero axles & Quanto's 1.5 ltr engine, under 7 lakhs rs onroad. But the market for which DI is intended for isnt complaining, so it will just be a dream.

OT: All the above problems listed above, like manual steering, impractical dash, leaking windshield, seating arrangemets, lack of security feeling in a soft top were major constraint to go against Thar DI & crde to some extent, (including my limited budget), so i bought Bolero 4x4 instead. Apart from AC, it ticked all my requirments.

Any one from Mahindra, please take some clues from above mods for bringing out another version of Thar
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 10:34   #87
BHPian

Re: Latest Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My Thar DI has now done about 20,000 kms... I have done a few upgrades since the my last post. ...
Hi Tini

Very neat and purposeful upgrades yaar! Congratulations to you for conceptualizing them and also to your mechanic for executing them as per your requirement.

In one of your pictures, I see dust accumulated on the front facing rear seat and also near the seat's lower hinges ( next to the oval speaker box ). Does is get dusty because of the partial vacuum created right behind the rear door flap and that dust is sucked into the cabin or does it find its way in from the lowered passenger/driver side window?
Also, requesting you to post pictures of the engine bay ( a/c and p/s installation and the oil pressure gauge tap out location can be drooled over ) and the wurth coating in the cabin floor and walls that we were talking about the other day which has made the vehicle a bit silent from the inside.

Regarding the engine being noisy on the highway, I have heard from local mechanics that replacing the excisting air filter with a bigger one (maybe from a 407) quietens the noisy mill. Also, we can do some padding under the hood and on the firewall to insulate the cabin in a much more effective way.

On the whole, a neat project that you can feel proud of.

OT - Does the Bolero Di 4x4 come with same front and rear or does it differ like in the 4x2 avatar?

Cheers bud

W_C
Old 14th June 2013, 11:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

Looks brilliant Tini!
It is just wonderful to see, how you are addressing every flaw in the DI meticulously and making it into one formidable vehicle.
From what vehicle are those seats from? Seems to fit so perfectly between the wheel wells.
Looking forward to the hard-top.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th June 2013, 12:54   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child
OT - Does the Bolero Di 4x4 come with same front and rear or does it differ like in the 4x2 avatar?

Cheers bud
W_C
Do you mean the suspension setup? Its leaf springs on all fours in Di. In AC Di 4x2, the compressor is located somewhat near to oil sump, right above the front axle, hence the AC is not available in 4x4 version, as compressor at this position will hit the front differential pumpkin.

Rest of the engine bay & other specs are same
Old 14th June 2013, 13:15   #90
AVR
BHPian

Hi 4x4addict,

That is a LOT of stuff done on your Jeep. The dashboard looks much better now. It's a bit unfortunate that with everything getting to desired levels, you'll still be stuck with an engine which is not matching up. Any scope of increasing the power/torque of the DI engine?

Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed