Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 22:57   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Great work, Tini.

This is exactly what the Thar Di should have been from day one. (minus the winch and bumpers). Looks complete. The Crde engine on this machine would have been a delight. Glued to this thread!
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 07:09   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
The Crde engine on this machine would have been a delight.
Thanks bro.

The engine is the biggest flaw in this vehicle, all other stupidity form Mahindra can be to a large extend be overcome. Being a new vehicle, I don't wan to mess up too much with the power train. For now, I have done the following to eek out 2% to 3% more power:

1) Blanked out EGR
2) Removed Cat Con
3) Increased fueling in the pump

Next steps planned:

1) Adust the Turbo Waste gate to increase boost a little bit.
2) Add inter cooler if increased boost causes the engine to heat up.

Come on this is a 2.6 Liter DI engine, any half retarded engineer would have been able to make atleast 75 to 85 bhp from this engine. Looks like Mahindra R&D is even more stupid that Force Motors R&D. They actually manged to make only 63 bhp even from the CRDe version of this engine

I am also looking at the possibility to see if the engine mounts for the original 110 bhp Scorpio engine SZ6000 are the same as the DI engine to consider a swap down the line.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 9th September 2013 at 07:11.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 09:38   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
.. They actually manged to make only 63 bhp even from the CRDe version of this engine ...
Hi Tini

Nice to see your Thar shaping up as intended ! Congrats for your patient and purposeful mods.

Coming to the 63 bhp CRDe version of the Di engine, I guess that was done intentionally on the Bolero so as to avoid cannibalism like the bolero storm earlier did.

The same engine(CRDe version of Di - m2DICR) that goes into the Xylo E2 and Scorpio EX are in a different state of tune churning out something close to 75 odd bhp.

Just my 2 paise

Regards
Old 11th November 2013, 23:04   #109
BHPian

Quote:

The engine is the biggest flaw in this vehicle, all other stupidity form Mahindra can be to a large extend be overcome. Being a new vehicle, I don't wan to mess up too much with the power train. For now, I have done the following to eek out 2% to 3% more power:

1) Blanked out EGR
2) Removed Cat Con
Even I have blanked out the EGR and also removed the Cat Con on my Thar DI, I have felt a good 10%ish power increase. It could be all in the head, but the jeep now even feels smoother. Mechanics had told me that it will let out more smoke due to EGR blanking, but the visible black smoke has decreased many many fold. This could be due to proper combustion now.
I looked towards the sun through the Cat Con, the exit is very tiny indeed!
I feel happy, my jeep can breath easy now!
jassi_jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:57   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bro.

1) Blanked out EGR
2) Removed Cat Con

Next steps planned:

1) Adust the Turbo Waste gate to increase boost a little bit.
2) Add inter cooler if increased boost causes the engine to heat up.

Come on this is a 2.6 Liter DI engine, any half retarded engineer would have been able to make atleast 75 to 85 bhp from this engine. Looks like Mahindra R&D is even more stupid that Force Motors R&D. They actually manged to make only 63 bhp even from the CRDe version of this engine

I am also looking at the possibility to see if the engine mounts for the original 110 bhp Scorpio engine SZ6000 are the same as the DI engine to consider a swap down the line.
Hi,thanks!Your jeep is everything I want my DI to be!I feel that I should at least change those skinny 6x 16 NDMS tyres which are like Ice skates on the highway during and after a monsoon drizzle.The alloys you have opted for have been on my mind all along--How much do they cost now---and what size are they---?Again,the track width is deplorable but other than spacers---well --.The crde top is next on my wish list.Water used to collect on the hollows on the dashboard after a heavy shower--but that ceased to be an issue after I tightened the windshield "winches"and latched it tightly.Watching this thread closely regarding catcon and stuff like that---because as I wrote earlier this is a 2.6 litre engine we are talking about and it is a time tested engine---(the no-nonsense growl of the engine also sounds more jeep-like than the muted sound of the watered down scorpio engine on the thar crde)---would love to see its full potential realised with harmless and well-thought out modifications not compromising on the health of the engine--Regards,
Ronnie
Old 29th December 2013, 18:25   #111
BHPian

To convert a 3.73:1 to 4.88:1 you will have to change the carrier to the Older Mahindra JEEPs Differential Carrier.

Rustys Offroad: Dana 44 Low Ratio Carrier

3.73=41/11
4.88=44/9
5.38=43/8

Typical cost of the conversion.
1) Differential Carriers 2X Rs500-1000
2) Crown & Pinion 2X Rs3000-5000
3) Carrier Bearing 2 X 2 X Rs 500
4) Labour Charges 2 X Rs1000-2000

The Locker/LSD Specification will be for a Dana 44 19 Spline 3.92 and Up Carrier.

Regards,

Arka

Hi 4x4,Arka ,would be grateful if you could guide me regarding 1)changing the off-road NDMS tyres(Plan to keep them as spare tyres)on the Thar DI to an All terrain 235/70 R16 tyre(If that is not a good idea, please advise) -From what I understood reading the posts ,the differential ratio is going to change from the existing 3.73 to a lower value. I would like to make it 4.88 with the 235/70 R16 tyres.How do I go about doing that?---Arka had explained that the carrier has to be changed ---4x4 sourced it from another vehicle,so I suppose it cannot be bought off the shelf----If on the other hand,the differential carriers ,Crown and pinion and the bearings can be bought from the local Mahindra spare parts dealer instead,please let me know,if you can spare the time, so that I can paraphrase it in simpler terms,and they are able to understand--[The Mahindra spare parts dealer here in Cochin is Mr M.J Maison--mobile09447187930-shop near pipeline Road(Near pipeline-Bypass- signal Jn) Palarivattom-email--mahindraekm@yahoo.com-{for those in this forum who might be interested}-TVS Kaloor is another option,but knowing the part numbers might help].2)Can the 235/70 R16 tyres be fitted on the stock rims---The new ratio with the existing 3.73 differentials after the change of tyres should be according to Tejas Kothari--3.73x new tyre diameter divided by orginal tyre diameter.Assuming, I increase the differential to 4. 88 ,would the axles be able to tolerate the additional torque or load on them--along with the 235/70 R 16 tires on stock rims? Thanks, Ronnie.

Last edited by Ronnie Zach : 29th December 2013 at 18:29.
Old 29th December 2013, 19:30   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Ronnie,

I spoke to a number of people including Arka regarding this. Most people tell me that the after market gearing available is not as good from a mettalurgical perspective as the Mahindra OEM one. So best to get a good used one from a army 550 dealer. In your case maybe Jagan from Muvatupuzha. It will be more cost effective and also better quality. I am not sure about this, but I have been told that even the Mahindra spares are not as good as the OEM one that comes from the factory.

If you are going to put 235/70/16 it is best to go for 4.27 gearing. I have 4.88 but am using 31 inch Tyres (265/70/16) so it is fine. I have driven my friends jeep with 235/70/16 tyres and 4.88 gearing and it is like driving the older Tata lorries. Lots and lots of Torque, but vehicle doesn't move and you can't overtake anything !!!..

I initially had 235 section tyres with 4.27 gearing and it was perfect. Once I switched to 265 section tyres 4.27 was still okay, but since I had an extra set of 4.88 with me, I decided to try it and I preferred it. I live in the hills in Ooty and hence shorter gearing works better for me.

I don't think there is any issue with axles.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 20:23   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Finshed my concealed semi hard top. Also changed the fuel filler to scorpio/latest Thar type as the older fuel filler cap leaks badly.

Reverted back to side facing seats as it makes the jeep more practical for work.

Also bought a Bolero key set so Ignition, Both front doors, rear door & fuel door have a single key. Hate the old style of jeep key chain with 100 keys :-)

Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharht1.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharht2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharht3.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharht4.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharht5.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharht6.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-img_4390.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-tharfuelfiller2.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 18th January 2014 at 20:39.
4x4addict is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 23:41   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

RPM Meter & CB Radio Added

Added an RPM Meter & CB Radio. The CB Antenna is 6 ft. I keep the top portion removed as it hits the roof of parking garage. Will put it on when using the radio.

RPM Meter is US brand called AutoMeter. Has a magnetic sensor that goes around your alternator. There is a calibration screw on the unit. You need to calculate RPM based on Gear Ratio, Final Drive ratio & tyre size and calibrate the unit. In my case 1:1 4th gear ratio, with 31 inch tyres and 4,.88 diff ratio should give 2006 rpm @ 60 kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-cbr1.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-cbr2.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-cbr3.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-cbr4.jpg  

The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!-rpm1.jpg  

4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 16:06   #115
BHPian

Re: RPM Meter & CB Radio Added

Quote:
Added .
Hello 4x4Addict, it would be great if you could post pics of the build process of providing re-reinforcements to soft top. Guess you have created a new avataar of a SEMI Hard Top.

Cheers!
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:33   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ronnie,

I spoke to a number of people including Arka regarding this. Most people tell me that the after market gearing available is not as good from a mettalurgical perspective as the Mahindra OEM one. So best to get a good used one from a army 550 dealer. In your case maybe Jagan from Muvatupuzha. It will be more cost effective and also better quality. I am not sure about this, but I have been told that even the Mahindra spares are not as good as the OEM one that comes from the factory.

If you are going to put 235/70/16 it is best to go for 4.27 gearing. I have 4.88 but am using 31 inch Tyres (265/70/16) so it is fine. I have driven my friends jeep with 235/70/16 tyres and 4.88 gearing and it is like driving the older Tata lorries. Lots and lots of Torque, but vehicle doesn't move and you can't overtake anything !!!..

I initially had 235 section tyres with 4.27 gearing and it was perfect. Once I switched to 265 section tyres 4.27 was still okay, but since I had an extra set of 4.88 with me, I decided to try it and I preferred it. I live in the hills in Ooty and hence shorter gearing works better for me.

I don't think there is any issue with axles.
Hi, can you share your experience of 265/70/16 tyre on thar. I also want to have same tyre for my thar crde. Your suggestion please
Old 21st February 2015, 16:32   #117
BHPian

Hi All,
I had been for a test drive for Thar DI. The showroom experience was worst, the sales personnel were not at all interested. Further they said " you wont get any discount on this JEEP, only high end vehicles such as Bolero,Scorpio get "
When i insisted for a DI test drive, They made a note of my name and number.

I hav'nt heard from them , ever since. :(
Rugged is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 15:20   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Hi All,
I had been for a test drive for Thar DI. The showroom experience was worst, the sales personnel were not at all interested.(
No discounts available on Thar DI and hardly anything on CRDe. Urban dealers are uninterested in selling the DI. Your best bet is a rural dealer. Even then I doubht TD vehicle will be available.
Old 24th February 2015, 10:26   #119
BHPian

Dear 4x4,thanks for making this a very informative thread.The thought which comes to my mind is that the older mahindra jeeps have been rulers of old rutty ghat roads and steep undulating inclines in god-forsaken places for doggone number of years with engines which do not come anywhere in terms of power,when compared with the thar crde ,and yet the owners had trusted them because of their ease of maintenance,low end grunt and reliability.Is the present DI with the stock engine good enough to handle most of the hard off-road steep inclines ,if the crawl ratio is improved by stepping up the crown pinion ratio to 4.8.If that is the case,the thar DI with its front leaf springs and the rugged ,tested albeit heavy International engine is a good machine,for the hills,(much better than any of the indian jeeps on offer today,including the Thar crde and Gurkha,even though the bhp per tonne is the least for the DI thar,when one applies whar Rajith pointed out in an earlier post).57 inch front and rear axles make the DI awesome.Can you share your thoughts on this keeping in mind a bias towards hilly off road terrain .Thanks.
Old 24th February 2015, 10:58   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Zach View Post
The older mahindra jeeps have been rulers of old rutty ghat roads and steep undulating inclines in god-forsaken places for doggone number of years with engines which do not come anywhere in terms of power, when compared with the thar crde, and yet the owners had trusted them because of their ease of maintenance,low end grunt and reliability. Is the present DI with the stock engine good enough to handle most of the hard off-road steep inclines, if the crawl ratio is improved by stepping up the crown pinion ratio to 4.8:1? If that is the case,the thar DI with its front leaf springs and the rugged, tested albeit heavy International engine is a good machine,for the hills, (much better than any of the indian jeeps on offer today, including the Thar Crde and Gurkha. Can you share your thoughts on this keeping in mind a bias towards hilly off road terrain. Thanks.
Dear Ronnie Zach - Thar DI is the replacement of the CL500MDI. It has 3.73:1 because it has to meet BS3 in its inertia class as a 7 seater. The CL500MDI also had 3.73:1 but it did not meet the inertia class criteria due to its unladen weight being less than required for BS3. 4.88:1 cannot be done in production as it will not meet CMVR. Also, in-use fuel efficiency is a major requirement because this vehicle is essentially a workhorse with markets concentrated in Kerala and Rajasthan. For a specific application, 4.88:1 can be used, the low end will improve, on-highway drivability and fuel efficiency will get affected.

By the way, all the yellow colored Marshal 4*4 vehicles which are used as recovery vans in the Great Escapes were converted from 3.73:1 to 4.88:1 in Kandivli. However, this is done for the specific application, as these vehicles need low-end grunt to tow out stuck vehicles.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks