Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:24   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Thar DI - Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugathan View Post
Have a question for the people who have converted the differential ratio from 3.73 (41/11) to 4.27 (47/11), As the pinion has the same number of teeth (11), Can only the carrier and the crown be changed, retaining the pinion?

And would this differential modification void the warranty?
AFAIK, the carier plate also need to be changed when changing from 3.73. Yes. It will void the warranty, but do they need to know? Will they find out?
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:13   #137
BHPian

Yes, the carrier needs to be changed. want to know if the pinion can be retained or will it also require a change, though the number of teeth are same, the size might be different.
Old 23rd May 2015, 16:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

You will have to change the pinion, too. Been there, done that. Also, you will want to change the little speedo gear that runs the speedometer else your speedometer will be very wrong due to the gearing change.
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:03   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

These things need to be realized and acted upon properly, instead of what happens above, because only the human mind can think, nothing else can think! Sugathanji, times have indeed changed, but not necessarily for the better!

Behram Dhabhar

Behram, in the last 30 years or so primates have been taught sign language and several different species of animals have been observed making tools in the wild and using them to procure food. Scientists have now narrowed the definition of "Homo Sapiens" to be the only species that knows how to score a cricket match.

I just got back from a 2 month stint in Cleveland, Ohio, USA ("The Mistake on the Lake"). Land of the Free, home of the Brave, mortgager of their children's education to buy more/better after market 4x4 off-roading stuff....anyway, my Nephew has a Jeep Unlimited. That's almost a Rubicon, not quite. 24 variable timed valves, stretched over 6 cylinders churning out 285HP, AWD, lockers....big GPS screen in the middle of the dash, plush comfortable seats, high GC....He took me for a test drive. It's gorgeous and also competitively priced by North American standards.

SUVs and particularly Jeeps are all over the place in the Great Lakes snow belt of Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York. Mahindra could have competed in N. America if they did not have their collective heads up their exhaust pipes.

By the way, rumor is that Mahindra actually was interested in hiring in Octopuses as engineers. Seems that octopuses are very mechanically inclined, natural problem solvers, able to hold 8 teacups at once....but the plan was scrapped when it was found that, although octopuses can change color in a second (a high meeting attribute) octopusses cannot be taught to say "Sir" deferentially and are naturally pro-union genetically.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 23rd May 2015 at 20:09.
DirtyDan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 21:24   #140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Mahindra could have competed in N. America if they did not have their collective heads up their exhaust pipes.
They would have to do a lot more than pull their heads out.

It's not like Mahindra hasn't been trying, with the Scorpio, the Getaway, etc.

There's only the hiccup of not being able to clear emission and crash standards.

Guess their solutions like well "engineered" rubber strips for impact protection which allows them to sell crap in India just didn't cut the mustard elsewhere.

Interesting how there are no shortage of members on the forum baying for blood when other manufacturers sell substandard products in India.

I guess it's OK for Mahindra since it's in their "Jeep" DNA.

Cheers
Old 25th May 2015, 11:15   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
1. Behram, "Homo Sapiens" to be the only species that knows how to score a cricket match. 2. Mahindra could have competed in North America if they did not have their collective heads up their exhaust pipes.
Dear Ken - every letter of every word in your post is absolutely exquisite, wonderful and perfect! As usual, I have numbered your comments, my replies are as follows:

1. In the cricket world, the umpires hopefully know what they are doing and they do it because everyone's watching. In the real world, umpires are hired after comprehensively finding out that they have the innate capability of demonstrating activity rather than achievement, resulting in doing absolutely nothing! Also, nobody's watching, so its cool! .

2. The diameter of the exhaust pipe will have to be increased to accommodate all the heads together, at least the vehicle will sound like music to you and me! On second thoughts, you must be kidding! Around 5 years back, there was actually something called "W-XYZ" project for Uncle Sam! People took 16 hour long flights all over the place. Nothing got sold (obviously) and Uncle Sam got very angry. You know better what Uncle Sam does when he gets very angry! Hahaha! .

Dear Sugathan - crown wheel and pinion are manufactured as sets, you must use both gears together only. I know of people who have spent their entire career of 38 years in crown-wheel pinion manufacturing. It is a very specialized manufacturing process, done on Gleason machines. Don't do anything silly, please!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 25th May 2015 at 11:22.
Old 25th May 2015, 21:01   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know better what Uncle Sam does when he gets very angry! Hahaha! .
They invade! Was so hoping that the lawyers would attack Kandivli and Nasik riding in Humvees, which they would then leave behind.

Actually something which I always wanted to ask a MM insider.
When a product (any product) is given for certification the manufacturer already knows what the result will be. Because he has tested it himself. And the certification testing is essentially a validation of the inhouse testing. In the case of MM and the crash test results, it seems that that was not the case. MM (but I must add not all people) was genuinely surprised/ shocked. What happened?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th May 2015, 23:06   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Have a question for the people who have converted the differential ratio from 3.73 (41/11) to 4.27 (47/11), As the pinion has the same number of teeth (11), Can only the carrier and the crown be changed, retaining the pinion?

And would this differential modification void the warranty?
The diff carrier is changed different for 3.73 and lower (numerically) and higher than 3.73, so switching to 4.27 will require you to change the carrier.

The crown and pinion are machined as a set. They actually have same serial number etched on them. you cannot retain your pinion. It has to changed as a set.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 17:38   #144
BHPian

Dear Tini,

Have seen your post indicating that, one would be better off using spacer and offset alloys instead of replacing the front axle to 57" in a new thar.

I would like to know if can use spacers along with my OEM rims and NDMS tyres to get a smaller turning radius? Finding the current radius of 6.25mts pretty difficult.

Dear DB Sir,

Can you please let me know your views on using spacers to increase the front track, and there by reducing the turning radius.
Old 27th May 2015, 20:39   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Dear Tini,

Have seen your post indicating that, one would be better off using spacer and offset alloys instead of replacing the front axle to 57" in a new thar.

I would like to know if can use spacers along with my OEM rims and NDMS tyres to get a smaller turning radius? Finding the current radius of 6.25mts pretty difficult.
With your original rims, you will hardly get any benefit from having only spacers. Best to go for spacers and offset alloys. Get spacers made in aluminum (so as no to increase unspring weight. )and use longer bolts. Rohan of Rogeotech can make them for you.

Quote:

Dear DB Sir,
Can you please let me know your views on using spacers to increase the front track, and there by reducing the turning radius.
All, I can tell you is that DB will kick my butt for recomending spacers. His views on spacers are well known to us old timers
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 11:09   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
All I can tell you is that DB will kick my butt for recomending spacers. His views on spacers are well known to us old timers
Dear 4*4 addict - hahaha, kya yaar! ! Anyways, thanks for providing the answer on whether to use spacers or not, to Sugathan. I am glad because this proves that I have been successful in sending the correct message across to people by using this wonderful forum.

Dear Sugathan - you are in that mental state where you want to do "things" to your vehicle. I understand that the adrenalin has cut in. I do not want to temper or reduce your enthusiasm in any way, but doing "things" just because somebody else also did them is not the correct way to do it, you will end up losing your hard earned money. There are many people out there, just waiting to pounce on you. Please remember that for every engineering solution that we as R&D engineers release as ECNs (engineering change notice) and layouts / drawings for production, there are ten nonsensical things floating around in the market out there. You will be better off staying away from them. Many people listen and benefit, those who don't listen, learn the hard way! Please read this example of learning the hard way:

One of my friends has a Zen that has run more than one lakh kilometers. He wanted to put new tires, so he asked me, I told him what to put. Inspite of knowing, he went out there and put some "imported" tires made in a third world country, "because the tirewallah told him". He got frustrated because his Zen started running like "a 75 year old woman with arthritis" (he told me so), so he threw the tires out after 15 days! He lost some 18000 bucks in the whole deal. He has now put what I told him and these are his own words, "my car runs like a gazelle now". So I told him that "I am a poor guy, you could have given me 18000 bucks, I would have enjoyed a nice weekend vacation in a good hill station near Pune"! Cool, naa?

One more small piece of information, Jeeps do things to people! Please spend your Sundays with the family, otherwise your Jeep will ensure that you spend every single Sunday in the garage, especially if you have done "things" to it!

ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 13:05   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, thanks for providing the answer on whether to use spacers or not, to Sugathan. I am glad because this proves that I have been successful in sending the correct message across to people by using this wonderful forum.
OT : Was always aware of DB's opinion on spacers, but just installed H&R aluminum spacers front and back on my Q7. The stance is to die for now. What to do, there is pleasure in sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM
One more small piece of information, Jeeps do things to people! Please spend your Sundays with the family, otherwise your Jeep will ensure that you spend every single Sunday in the garage, especially if you have done "things" to it!
More truer words were never spoken. These can be framed and put up on the wall.
Old 28th May 2015, 13:17   #148
Team-BHP Support

Spacers with offset will work, but when you add bigger tyres, extreme load condition etc to the equation it can take a toll on other parts starting from wheel bearing onwards. These can fail, that is the only downside.

In short, if it is going to do just normal duty as passenger carrier, almost no risk. But if it is a work horse or going to be used for extreme offroad, parts will fail eventually.
Old 29th May 2015, 13:47   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manveet Paaji - on the topic "Jeeps do things to people", Jeeps did things to me also, they still do and they will always do! So I asked myself, "hey you moron, if you start, you will ruin all your Sundays, you will ruin all your evenings, even after doing everything possible, you will get boom noise, you may get oil consumption, you will not get the acceleration and the exhilaration that you want, the gears will not slot in properly, the steering will wobble and on top of that you will not get "original" parts in the Opera House market, and you don't have a rich uncle to pay for all this. You will lose money and the peace of whatever little mind you have"!

So, I thought of an idea (I'm smart, naa? ). The idea was, "why not do it at absolutely zero risk? And the only way to do it at absolute zero risk was in working time, for free, and get paid for it every 30 days also! Obviously, the "fall guy" was not an individual. After self-introspection on "is this fair?" and getting the answer "life's not fair yaar!", I had to tread "very-very-very carefully", lest somebody came to know! After some careful treading, within a few days, I suddenly realized that the field was wide open, because I saw people en-masse following Gandhiji's 3-monkeys philosophy with a plus. It was "don't see, don't hear, don't talk + make presentations"!

Ah ha! This time, its in capital letters: HAHAHA! ENJOY!

Dear Jaggu - if by chance you still know some more morons like me (you know what I mean), please help them. See what Steve Jobs achieved in 2012! Bravo Steve!

I do not recommend use of spacers, because it calls for longer wheel studs which I will not use unless proved in the laboratory and field conditions. Wheel mounting is always "CC" in the drawing (critical characteristics).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th June 2015, 20:45   #150
BHPian

Adjusted the steering stopper bolt, the turning radius is better than before.

Saw something unpleasant when i had been under the jeep, Oil leak around the sump pan and around the lower bolt of the timing case on the FIP side. The jeep has not as yet completed 1k kms. Called the mahindra guys, will need to take the jeep one of these days. the 1st service is due only between 4.5k-5k kms.

What can i expect? if the sump gasket needs a replacement, will i have the bear the cost of the oil?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks