Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 16:08   #481
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Bravo Gurkha. As competent (and controversial if I may add) as ever. Great to see you back and firing on all cylinders.
sgiitk,

Thank you very much.

regards
Gurkha aka masochist owner of a shoddy vehicle.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:15   #482
BHPian

Guys Gurkha is serious.

If you guys have got the knowledge and will to work on it like Mr. Gurkha has go for it.

I have gone for it because he is standing there and guiding me every KM my Gurkha covers. Gurkha is like a Pitbull, if you are not careful and good enough during initial break-up period it will eat you up.

As I said elsewhere "You may buy the Gurkha, but it's the vehicle which own you"
Old 12th January 2009, 17:32   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
...Gurkha is like Linux, if you are expecting WINDOWS, don't use it. Plain and simple...
Wonderfully succinct advice, sir

Quote:
...10 years of faithful service still running like new, engine with full compression, gears that shift like hot knife through butter, 4WD that engages willingly at any speed, no diff noise or wear are more important than a few loose bolts here or there...

Amazing indeed .
Old 12th January 2009, 22:20   #484

The Gurkha 4x4

Dear All,

Have been following some of the discussions in htis forum.
I have the following points to make.
1. Force may not be exactly the customer centric manufacturer. They are more into the savaris, toofans and the traveller. The Gurkha originally made with another purpose is now an afterthought.
2. I am dead sure that the revenue stream from the Gurkha is nil.
3. If comforts is all that matter then there are many options available on the Indian roads.
4. If you are looking at value for money in what ever context then why a 4x4 at all.?
5.You wanna ride a tiger then welcome with all the thrills and the pitfalls of the same.
6.The Gurkha has got me to where i wanted every time , if you wanna get out of the rut , its yr choice.
Regards
Flickr: Boudhi Tree's Photostream
Old 13th January 2009, 09:45   #485
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudhitree View Post
Dear All,

Have been following some of the discussions in htis forum.
I have the following points to make.
1. Force may not be exactly the customer centric manufacturer. They are more into the savaris, toofans and the traveller. The Gurkha originally made with another purpose is now an afterthought.
2. I am dead sure that the revenue stream from the Gurkha is nil.
3. If comforts is all that matter then there are many options available on the Indian roads.
4. If you are looking at value for money in what ever context then why a 4x4 at all.?
5.You wanna ride a tiger then welcome with all the thrills and the pitfalls of the same.
6.The Gurkha has got me to where i wanted every time , if you wanna get out of the rut , its yr choice.
Regards
Flickr: Boudhi Tree's Photostream

Exactly my thoughts..........
Old 13th January 2009, 17:53   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudhitree View Post
Can you please upload some pics on to this forum. I am not able to view Flickr.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:10   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
Can you please upload some pics on to this forum. I am not able to view Flickr.
Im posting the pics from boudhitree's flickr album :

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-2821083775_0231fa409c_b.jpg
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-2821083015_93fd5cecdd_b.jpg
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-2934571806_e60de940c7_b.jpg

@ boudhitree : Your gurkha's tires look pretty aggressive. What make are those?
Old 14th January 2009, 14:16   #488
BHPian

I guess they are JK LT2K 4x4. I had those as OEM in my gurkha.
Old 15th January 2009, 02:45   #489

Urgent Query

O all knowing ones,

I've recently bought myself a 550, but there's a possibility i might also be in a position to get my hands on a 4x4 Judo second hand which is either a 2001/2002 model, something i'm quite keen on (can you blame me for getting greedy?), even if it means looking for someone to take the 550 off my hands. Since i also need to do some highway running with it...however, i was told that spares for the engine are not to forthcoming. Any advice would be really really helpful
Old 15th January 2009, 09:56   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
O all knowing ones,

I've recently bought myself a 550, but there's a possibility i might also be in a position to get my hands on a 4x4 Judo second hand which is either a 2001/2002 model, something i'm quite keen on (can you blame me for getting greedy?), even if it means looking for someone to take the 550 off my hands. Since i also need to do some highway running with it...however, i was told that spares for the engine are not to forthcoming. Any advice would be really really helpful

If its 2000/2001 then its OM616 turbo and there is no problem of spares for it. Check the engine, check the trasnfer case and keep your ears open for any noise and go for it.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:17   #491
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Well Gurkha you are not alone. Add me to the list of fools waiting for the 611

From a practical viewpoint the hartop would be the choice but I really want the softop for the vehicle's lighter weight and the joy of experiencing wilderness in an open top.

In September 2008 I had spoken to Ravinder Singh and he mentioned it would be sometime in 2009 when they launch it. Any update on that?

Last edited by DKG : 15th January 2009 at 10:22.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:55   #492
BHPian

I spoke to the DGM of force motors, 611 would be coming in 2009 but wud be given only to TT at this point of time. It was supposed to be launched in 2006 or so. I waited for it till 2008 october. Then out of frustration and advice of Gurkha who supported me through this wait period I got the vehicle.

once it is out, at least 6-8 months it wud run on TT and after that they will think of powering the MUVs. I personally do not believe it would be out by this year on Gurkha or Judo.
Old 16th January 2009, 22:49   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I personally do not believe it would be out by this year on Gurkha or Judo.
I talked to a Punjab area Force guy yesterday and he said, same as you, they are about to test the om611 and it won't be on a Gurkha until late 2009 or 2010. Why they say they are taking this long to test technology that is not new is a mystery.
Old 18th January 2009, 16:10   #494
BANNED

Gurkha prototype with OM611 and six speed has been out since 2002, its the licensing issues that's holding Force back, MB wants to make sure it doesn't step on the elder brother G Wagen's toes. With OM611, this becomes a very viable alternative to the cheaper real off roader contender where MB and Toyota are out due to their high costs. From what I hear, people who are in R&D at Force have told me it should be out by this year, their biggest hurdle was the fuel pump for OM611, it was BOSCH Germany which added to the cost and to keep it down, BOSCH India have come out with a working alternative which have passed all the inspections. The Tempo Traveler is their top priority and therefore it will get the engine first over everything else.
Old 18th January 2009, 17:56   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Gurkha prototype with OM611 and six speed has been out since 2002, its the licensing issues that's holding Force back, MB wants to make sure it doesn't step on the elder brother G Wagen's toes.
Sorry, but I am skeptical about this statement. The G-Wagen sold in a few markets currently is light years ahead of the Gurkha/Gama and costs about 100000 USD. It is now sold to the Range Rover crowd, not the cheap 4x4 crowd.

The cheaper version that you are referring to is only sold to armys. If you are referring to the army version used by limited countries, I can't imagine that Germany would suddenly decide to buy the Gurkha instead of the G-wagen because it is cheaper. The body panels and every bolt on gurkha would become loose and fall apart if a grenade exploded within 5 kms.

I don't see how the Gurkha with an OM611 engine will put a dent in Mercedes sales anywhere in the world !!. What you are describing is wishful thinking by Force Motors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks