Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 16:53   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Well going by that logic, we should all refrain from buying TLC, G or FJ or Gurkha, OTR is one aspect of buying a vehicle, it has to be used for other purposes, as far as I know, rhandle and I bought the vehicle to use it for our tours, going to work and the occasional OTR.
Sir, I repeat again, I am talking about a hypothetical situation, where one has to buy a vehicle solely for offroading and nothing else. And how did I imply that everybody should stop buying TLC, G or FJ or Gurkha? Please enlighten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
If going by the donor logic, one can also buy a second hand FJ or Patrol or Jonga and hop it up till kingdom come, least the base platform is far superior with better potential than the others.
The simple reason for choosing the jeep/gypsy as the base vehicle is that these vehicles are easy to find and cheap to buy. Definitely a lot easier and cheaper than buying a old Toyota FJ, Nissan Patrol or Mercedes G Wagen. Add to it the fact that there is a comprehensive and cost effective aftermarket market parts supply chain and it becomes a no brainer.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2009, 18:02   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

gotzuk:

It is pointless to argue with die hard fans of any vehicles. The fact that you see one or two Gurkhas per OTR proves your point that regardless of how good a Gurkha maybe for many enthusiasts it may not make sense to pay 8 lakhs for a vehicle that shines only off-road but isn't that great on-road and is as crude as they come. Compare the interiors to the Ambassador grand and you will know what I mean.

I came within inches of owning a gurkha. But now I have decided to invest in my MM540 and pick up a 4x4 Safari for my longer jaunts. If they can bring the price of the Gurkha to about 6 lakhs I think I will reconsider.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:02   #528
BANNED

gotzuk,

I understand your point but then one doesn't buy a vehicle for OTR alone and if a vehicle serves the purpose of general transportation with excellent off road capability, I see no harm there.

I do agree on the cost effective part that you are trying to convey but then again, unless one has an accident, a properly designed vehicle wouldn't need parts that often even when its used off road regularly.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:15   #529
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
gotzuk:

It is pointless to argue with die hard fans of any vehicles. The fact that you see one or two Gurkhas per OTR proves your point that regardless of how good a Gurkha maybe for many enthusiasts it may not make sense to pay 8 lakhs for a vehicle that shines only off-road but isn't that great on-road and is as crude as they come. Compare the interiors to the Ambassador grand and you will know what I mean.

I came within inches of owning a gurkha. But now I have decided to invest in my MM540 and pick up a 4x4 Safari for my longer jaunts. If they can bring the price of the Gurkha to about 6 lakhs I think I will reconsider.

Wouldnt be possible with the powertrain in Gurkha, they rather give you engine, tranny and diff and charge you for that than toys and I do agree on the interiors, however, I wouldnt' want anything fancy in my Gurkha as I hose it down regularly and anything fancy would suffer. Dunno where you get the fact that it doesnt' do well on road, as a matter of fact as an ex Safari owner and having owned many other off roaders, Gurkha's manner on road are fantastic for its class, no body roll, excellent ride due to IFS and properly designed rear suspension means long drive over potholed roads to be a breeze. Just because a vehicle comes carpeted doesn't mean its the criteria for a good on road vehicle. Factors like body roll, tilt angle, predictable tilt when cornering hard, ride quality and confidence at speed is what makes a good on road vehicle, in all these mentioned category, Gurkha does fairly well.

If you are happy with your Safari and MM550, thats fine, don't put down Gurkha because its a competent vehicle in every sense just because you didn't buy it. The reason you don't see that many Gurkha is due to the fact that Force never concentrated on marketing it in India and was contended selling it abroad. Only during recent times have they started delivering it in limited numbers. Its ironic, people would pay 11L for a toy laden pretender SUV with carpet and other creature comforts but wouldn't consider paying for a vehicle which comes with true pedigreed functinal and proven background but then most buy for vanity and nothing else.

Guess what, there are many who would buy the Gurkha at any cost, myself and many others included, when the OM611 comes the cost is going to go up due to MB engine and tranny and there would be buyers out there even then. The reason is that one buys a vehicle like this just not for OTR but for the pleasure of owning a vehicle that can go everywhere, anywhere without much drama and thats the satisfaction, nothing else.

Also one last point, a Gurkha costs around US$15k compared to FJ at US$28k and G Wagen at US$60k upwards, now Gurkha is capable of doing the same things these two other legends do but that won't let me deter people from buying the FJ or G, heck when I hit the lotto, you will see one of each on my driveway as well along with the Gurkha, one thing I won't tell people is don't buy Gelande Wagen or FJ just because they are costly, if your pocket allows it, more power to you and I would appreciate a ride in those legends if you are so kind.

Last edited by Gurkha : 29th January 2009 at 18:33.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:39   #530
Team-BHP Support

Talking about ride comfort, I'd like draw notice to my observation during Gurkha Test drive which I did within a month of Test driving 2.2L Safari and GV. Click on the > symbol for full report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
4) Then I took it over (a) potholes and (b)uneven undulated roads, this is when (a) any one tyre falls into a pothole and when (b) the whole road is weaving up and down irregularly. And this is where we were handed our greatest surprise. The ride comfort of Gurkha on potholes and undulated roads far surpassed Safari and GV. I was very surprised and turned towards my wife and asked her about the ride comfort at the backseat, and she too mentioned the same thing, better than Safari, better than GV. And there was no bobbing, no bouncing, no body roll, unlike Safari. It maintained similar composure as GV in such scenarios. P said this was because it has independent front suspension and leaf springs at the back. Anyway, this is a bloody winner when it comes to ride comfort.
Old 29th January 2009, 18:44   #531
BHPian

Well abt Safari, "Gurkha" is right.

I am not an ex-owner, I still have the safari and the Gurkha and trust me while going on a simple curve road (Clove leaf flyover) to get on to main flyover, my safari screeches and scares of the co-passenger, where as in Gurkha co-passenger wont even notice if I do not tell him. During sharp turns it feels as if wheels under safari are slipping away, does not happens in Gurkha.

There are many good points in Safari as well. Better NVH, is most important at this time. But I am seeing my Gurkha getting better and better.

The biggest plus point why I love Gurkha in City... it turns like a car. With a turning radius of zen it is a breeze while with safari it feels like a truck.

Anyone having a doubt and who ever puts up in Noida please feel free to contact me for the actual test.

Attaching few pics of Gurkha and Safari standing side by side... had clicked them for my long term report!!!

PS: My wife drove Gurkha for the first time in the NCR OTR of 25th and she loved it. Only thing she hates right now is the vehicle is too noisy as compared and does not has a Vanity mirror!
Attached Thumbnails
Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-1.jpg  

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-2.jpg  

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-3.jpg  

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-4.jpg  

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-5.jpg  

Last edited by rhandle : 29th January 2009 at 18:49.
Old 29th January 2009, 20:08   #532
Senior - BHPian

I know its subjective but I like the way it looks, too. That bull guard out front...is it heavier gage steel than most other bull guards? Bigger diameter tubing? It looks like it would persuade an elephant.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:46   #533
BHPian

@ rhandle : Your Gurkha looks killer..honestly! The safari never stands a chance.

Don't kill me for this; it will look better with the elephant bars removed; they just overwhelm the whole vehicle IMO.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:44   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
@ rhandle : Your Gurkha looks killer..honestly! The safari never stands a chance.

Don't kill me for this; it will look better with the elephant bars removed; they just overwhelm the whole vehicle IMO.
They are highly functional as is. They could be painted a dark color so as to not be so noticeable to the elephants who have poor eyesight in any case.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:46   #535
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
They are highly functional as is. They could be painted a dark color so as to not be so noticeable to the elephants who have poor eyesight in any case.
Dan you serious about nudging elephants ???
Old 30th January 2009, 11:00   #536
BHPian

Hi,

Well the Gurkha is an amazing offroader no doubt, but for me I still stick to the point that one can throw a jeep/gypsy into any kind of terrain but with the Gurkha you'd have to think twice. The Gurkha would take on any terrain but would you want to?

As for the panache factor i'd rather buy a good sedan in the 9L bracket which would take me to office and also take my family to places in style. For offroading I have the Jeep that costs not more that 3L. I own a Tucson, which i agree is in no comparison to the Gurkha but in city and little of offroading serves its purpose.

Its my opinion and i'm not contradicting any other fellow BHPians point of view.

Cheers !!!!!!
Old 30th January 2009, 11:12   #537
BHPian

^^^ actually thats what I have been thinking too and is lot more practical.

Unfortunately at times heart rules over head :(
Old 30th January 2009, 11:20   #538
Senior - BHPian

@ rhandle : Man, you gurkha looks like monster besides that safari, it sure make the safari look smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
They could be painted a dark color
This is how it may look.

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-gurkha-copy.jpg
Old 30th January 2009, 11:26   #539
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
This is how it may look.
Attachment 95064
Great. Could I request you to turn the Gurkha all black with no chrome trim? Lets see how that looks?
Old 30th January 2009, 11:40   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
turn the Gurkha all black with no chrome trim? Lets see how that looks?
Full black trim coming up :

Trax Gurkha - As good as it gets??-gurkha-copy-copy.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks